Fractured leg on Beyond; Need Disembarkation Information

Thanks for the well wishes.  Very impressed with Baptist Medical Center.  Non weight bearing for six weeks; could have been worse.  Will have a boot I can take off and do PT before the end of that time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Marian @helen haywood, I just saw this for the first time!  I’m so sorry this happened. While I understand why they have that “ledge” in the doorway, I’ve gotten stubbed toes myself there.

Hoping your recovery goes very well! 

Edited by barbeyg
  • Thanks 1

Wishing you all the best. I hurt my leg while on a cruise in 2022. And I sail solo.....thankfully it was not as bad as your injury but I will say, until it happens to you, a person really doesn't know the extent of only having 1 limb working fully. The stress on the rest of you is quite tangible.

I did have to use a wheelchair and then a crutch so I feel your pain.

The staff and crew on my cruise went above and beyond for me.

Hope your healing goes well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

Marian @helen haywood, I just saw this for the first time!  I’m so sorry this happened. While I understand why they have that “ledge” in the doorway, I’ve gotten stubbed toes myself there.

Hoping your recovery goes very well! 

It wasn’t the bathroom ledge…I just mentioned how hard it was to get over that once I had the crutches.  Put one crutch the couple of inches up into the bathroom and then sort of hop sideways and up with the other crutch back on the carpet…. If I were young and a gymnast…not a problem.

No, the mundane accident happened in the Oceanview Cafe at lunch on the 8th.  I pushed the low heavy chair on the carpet back from the table and rose to my feet.  Evidently I did not have the chair pushed back enough and my foot caught on a leg and my rubber soled shoe did not slide on the carpet so my leg just twisted and down I went.

The medical team was unimpressed with this explanation…so I’ve since changed it to “I was rescuing a child from an alligator.”

• Haha 13

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

It wasn’t the bathroom ledge…I just mentioned how hard it was to get over that once I had the crutches.  Put one crutch the couple of inches up into the bathroom and then sort of hop sideways and up with the other crutch back on the carpet…. If I were young and a gymnast…not a problem.

No, the mundane accident happened in the Oceanview Cafe at lunch on the 8th.  I pushed the low heavy chair on the carpet back from the table and rose to my feet.  Evidently I did not have the chair pushed back enough and my foot caught on a leg and my rubber soled shoe did not slide on the carpet so my leg just twisted and down I went.

The medical team was unimpressed with this explanation…so I’ve since changed it to “I was rescuing a child from an alligator.”

My mistake.  And the rescuing a child from an alligator is an excellent response when people ask. 😁😂

Hope your recovery is a full and quick recovery. 🙂

Sorry this happened.  I broke my ankle( and had surgery) 10 days before we were to leave for Australia for our Edge cruise.  I hope you're not in too much pain.  

18 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Sorry this happened.  I broke my ankle( and had surgery) 10 days before we were to leave for Australia for our Edge cruise.  I hope you're not in too much pain.  

Hope you are doing well now..any cruises booked.?

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

Hope you are doing well now..any cruises booked.?

I am doing so much better.  I did get a blood clot 2 weeks after I was cleared to start walking.  We're actually going on a land vacation in 2 weeks( D.C and FL) and then a 4 day virgin cruise in October.  Galapagos on Flora in Oct 2025.  We want to go to Australia in 2026, but not on a cruise.  

My sister is currently dealing with a broken leg - knee area cracked fracture, no surgery, but can't do weight bearing for about 12 weeks. She has crutches and some odd knee brace she bought online that allows her to walk with one crutch. But, getting around the house is easiest with a walker. She has put a basket on the front and can scoot around without the crutches/armpit issues.

37 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I am doing so much better.  I did get a blood clot 2 weeks after I was cleared to start walking.  We're actually going on a land vacation in 2 weeks( D.C and FL) and then a 4 day virgin cruise in October.  Galapagos on Flora in Oct 2025.  We want to go to Australia in 2026, but not on a cruise.  

Glad to hear all is well.!

.As those who have suffered similar  injuries report,  it does take time to recover,  and there can be set backs...but with patience one can recover!

Glad you have some nice vacations ahead!