My LONG Elation Story with pictures and Funtimes - 04/29 to 05/04

Debarkation – May 4th

They say all good things must come to an end.  Morning came, as it always does, and our anchor/rope/thruster alarm went off about 5:30 am.  There would be no danger of oversleeping this morning!  We showered, dressed, and headed up for our last Breakfast at Tiffany’s.  The day was overcast but the temperature was still nice.

We had elected to do self-debarkation.  This was the first time we had used the digital debarkation scheduling within the app, and it is super easy to use.  Our debarkation time was 8am and the gangway was on Deck 7.  Ron, being the wonderful husband that he always is, would not hear of letting me push my own suitcase.  He kept both suitcases through the entire process.  Chivalry is definitely NOT dead with this guy!  Liz has commented before that when she has been with him, she wasn't allowed to carry her own suitcase.  He's a good one and I'll keep him!

IMG_9012.thumb.JPG.aeccf6ee2467ba646831efe3249d4a73.JPG

As we found pretty much everything else on this cruise, the Elation crew had this debarkation thing down to a science.  Our cabin was on Deck 6, so we only had to go up one deck to get in line.  There were signs and people pointing us to the line.  The line went down one hallway, snaked around the second hallway and off the ship.  From the moment we stepped in line we never stopped moving.  When we reached the gangway, our cards were scanned, and we started down into the terminal building.  The gangway is rather long, probably mostly because they were using Deck 7 and it’s kind of high. There are multiple "switchbacks" on the way to ground level.  When we reached the bottom of the gangway there were two lines and people directing us into the correct line.  If you had traveled with a passport you were supposed to get into one line.  The second line was for people traveling with birth certificates.  Pretty standard.  We got into the passport line but were told several times that we did NOT need to show our passports.  Just look at the iPad, smile at the camera so to speak, and it will do the rest with the facial recognition technology.  Talk about easy!  I think we were on Horizon the first time we experienced the facial recognition debark.  Definitely a good thing!  The entire process probably took a total of 15 – 20 minutes from the moment we stepped in line until the time we were walking to our car.  Easiest debarkation ever!

IMG_9013.thumb.JPG.c324b66f7acd0fded419ad77620c095e.JPG

Here's our traditional "our cruise is over and now we're pouting" picture.

So….there you have it.  My Elation cruise Christmas present was the best present ever.  We had a wonderful time, as always, and I have no complaints. 

9ish hours later we were back in West Virginia.  Although we live in Princeton, the closest route to our house is typically through Bluefield.  We use Exit 1 to get there so we're barely inside the state when we turn off I-77.  Here's our sign!  If you ever drive north on I-77 and go through the East River Mountain Tunnel, give us a wave as you go by!

WVsign.thumb.png.38774960617091f6daa743232acde309.png

Thanks so much for reading along!  I’ll see you again when we again sail on Mardi Gras with our "friends who became family" in September!  It's going to be epic!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, princess76021 said:

Awesome story!!  Thanks for sharing

Hugs from Texas

Awwww….thank you so much!  Hugs back to you!

• Like 1

Wow, Great report, I enjoyed reading about your trip 😎 Debarking on deck 7 sure makes it easier than waiting forever for an elevator.to go down to 3 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mamiamjo said:

Wow, Great report, I enjoyed reading about your trip 😎 Debarking on deck 7 sure makes it easier than waiting forever for an elevator.to go down to 3 

Thanks so much for your kind words and for reading along!  You know, I never thought about that being one reason it seemed faster but I’m sure you’re right.  Had to be the longest walk down to the terminal yet.  Lol

5 minutes ago, daveo6313 said:

Thank you for taking the time for this great review.  I really enjoyed all of the pictures and reading through everything.

Dave

Thank you so much for your kind words and for reading along!  I very much appreciate you!

12 minutes ago, mlshum said:

Thanks so much for your kind words and for reading along!  You know, I never thought about that being one reason it seemed faster but I’m sure you’re right.  Had to be the longest walk down to the terminal yet.  Lol

Yes, but it’s DOWNhill.  It’s the walk up to board that kills me.  I travel carryon only but I now check my rollaboard and just wear my backpack.  But debarking…you could ride your suitcase down…if it had brakes…and maybe a tiller to steer…. EM

• Haha 4

51 minutes ago, AKR2011 said:

Great review as always! Enjoy your summer and I'll be back to follow along again in September ❤️

Thank you so much!  I’ll definitely look forward to it!

52 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Yes, but it’s DOWNhill.  It’s the walk up to board that kills me.  I travel carryon only but I now check my rollaboard and just wear my backpack.  But debarking…you could ride your suitcase down…if it had brakes…and maybe a tiller to steer…. EM

Now that’s a funny mental picture!  I don’t mind the walking at all, up or down, I was just surprised by how long it actually was.  But if I run into one that long again and need to get down quickly, I’ll know one option!  lol

Elation is my favorite Carnival ship as I enjoy the smaller ships and most have been retired.  I have been doing the elation in December for the last 7 years and enjoy reading a review of others who appreciate what she has to offer.  Look forward to your September review which will be interesting to see how you "handle" the changes for the old to new.  Safe travels.

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading you review and glad that you two had a good time. I am just as sad that you review has come to an end that you are about the cruise coming to an end! haha

I love the Fantasy class ships and hate to see them dwindeling away. The Elation is still a very nice ship to be almost 30 years old. I will be sad the day that the last two Fantasy class ships are gone.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2024 at 4:07 PM, mlshum said:

Liz insists that she'll never swim with sharks for an excursion.  I keep telling her that we probably already have and just didn't realize it.  LOL

OKAY but I don’t want to PURPOSEFULLY swim with the sharks. Is that acceptable? 🙄

PS for everyone else- I’m the Liz she’s talking about 😂 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SenatorsFan said:

Thanks for taking the time to tell the story of your latest cruise. I always enjoy following along with you. 🤗

Thank you so much for reading along again!  I always enjoy seeing a familiar, friendly name!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, elklemi said:

Elation is my favorite Carnival ship as I enjoy the smaller ships and most have been retired.  I have been doing the elation in December for the last 7 years and enjoy reading a review of others who appreciate what she has to offer.  Look forward to your September review which will be interesting to see how you "handle" the changes for the old to new.  Safe travels.

Thanks so much for reading along and for your kind words.  I did enjoy Elation!  I’ve already been on several of the newer ships including Mardi Gras and Celebration.  My cruise on the Mardi Gras in September will be our 15th and our first “repeat” on a ship.  Hopefully you can join me for that story, too!

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Awesome!! Great review and looking forward to your next one 👍😁

Thank you so much!  I’ll be on the lookout for yours as well!

1 hour ago, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

I enjoyed reading you review and glad that you two had a good time. I am just as sad that you review has come to an end that you are about the cruise coming to an end! haha

I love the Fantasy class ships and hate to see them dwindeling away. The Elation is still a very nice ship to be almost 30 years old. I will be sad the day that the last two Fantasy class ships are gone.

Thank you so much for your kind words!  I really enjoy writing here on Cruise Critic because it just extends the experience for me and I’m so glad I’m not boring everyone here to tears!  lol. Thanks again!

I wonder what they will do about getting under those bridges when the small ships are gone???

1 hour ago, Indiansbaseball said:

That was fun ! Thanks for sharing !

Thank you so much for reading and hanging out with me!  Let’s do it again!  lol

1 hour ago, erstreet2017 said:

OKAY but I don’t want to PURPOSEFULLY swim with the sharks. Is that acceptable? 🙄

PS for everyone else- I’m the Liz she’s talking about 😂 

That’s fair, I guess!  Did you read the barracuda story a page or so back?  🫢

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, daveo6313 said:
1 hour ago, mikayla73 said:

I enjoyed reading along with your story! Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks so much for reading along with me!  I appreciate it and I appreciate your kind words!

Posted (edited)

I loved following along your adventure and was sad to see it end! heh I know you and Ron were too. Thank you so much! My DH and I are taking my 70 y/o mom and my BFF of 34 years (her 1st cruise) on the Elation in September. We've been on the Fascination and the Paradise, but this will be our first time on Elation. We are driving from SE KY down to Jacksonville the day before. While this will be my mom's 5th cruise, it's going to be her 1st with a balcony room. Annnnd, I'll be turning 45 while we are at Half Moon Cay. I am so stinking excited; mom's 1st balcony, bff's 1st cruise and my birthday ... Woohoo!  LOL Thank you again for the great review and awesome pictures. 🙂

Edited to add: I very much appriciate the pictures of the Funtimes. I zoomed in and read them all, front and back. I need to be prepared! ❤️ 

Edited by MommyCrankyPants
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MommyCrankyPants said:

I loved following along your adventure and was sad to see it end! heh I know you and Ron were too. Thank you so much! My DH and I are taking my 70 y/o mom and my BFF of 34 years (her 1st cruise) on the Elation in September. We've been on the Fascination and the Paradise, but this will be our first time on Elation. We are driving from SE KY down to Jacksonville the day before. While this will be my mom's 5th cruise, it's going to be her 1st with a balcony room. Annnnd, I'll be turning 45 while we are at Half Moon Cay. I am so stinking excited; mom's 1st balcony, bff's 1st cruise and my birthday ... Woohoo!  LOL Thank you again for the great review and awesome pictures. 🙂

Edited to add: I very much appriciate the pictures of the Funtimes. I zoomed in and read them all, front and back. I need to be prepared! ❤️ 

Awww…..thank you so much!  What a great trip you have planned!  It sounds amazing!  Have you been to Half Moon Cay before?  If so, you already know that you will love it.  If not, it’s absolutely gorgeous and you will love it!  lol. Let me know how your trip goes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlshum said:

Awww…..thank you so much!  What a great trip you have planned!  It sounds amazing!  Have you been to Half Moon Cay before?  If so, you already know that you will love it.  If not, it’s absolutely gorgeous and you will love it!  lol. Let me know how your trip goes!

My mom has been to HMC, but this will be our 1st time! 😁 I did my research and specifically chose HMC over Princess Cays, so my momma wouldn't have a hard time on the rocks and such. Everyone (minus BFF) has been to Nassau, but it was prior to the renovations. So, it's kinda like 2 new stops for DH and me on this cruise. We plan on having a beach day at HMC and staying close to port at Nassau. My mom loves the straw market! 🙂 We set sail on Sept. 7th ❤️ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MommyCrankyPants said:

My mom has been to HMC, but this will be our 1st time! 😁 I did my research and specifically chose HMC over Princess Cays, so my momma wouldn't have a hard time on the rocks and such. Everyone (minus BFF) has been to Nassau, but it was prior to the renovations. So, it's kinda like 2 new stops for DH and me on this cruise. We plan on having a beach day at HMC and staying close to port at Nassau. My mom loves the straw market! 🙂 We set sail on Sept. 7th ❤️ 

HMC is the perfect beach day for sure!  Your mom is brave!  I don’t get stressed very easily but the straw market in Nassau will do it every time!  I can’t deal with everyone talking to me and trying to get me to buy things.  If I stop to look at something they stop me and start talking trying to get me to buy whatever it is.  I always feel bad or like I’m being rude but they won’t let me move on!  I think they sense my weakness.  LOL. I avoid the straw market at all costs!

We’ll be getting on Mardi Gras about the time you’re getting off Elation.  We board on Sept 14

• Like 1