Purchase of Wine at Cruise Stop

dabear

I know you can bring on a bottle of wine per person at embarkation. Can you instead bring wine on board that you purchased at a cruise stop without it being put in the hold until the end of the cruise? We will be stopping near Bordeaux France & intend to go on a winery tour.

I wouldn't count on keeping it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you do. We came back on board a few years back in Cozumel with some really nice tequila and nobody even looked at us. YMMV.

The rules are no...

We returned last month from B2B New Zealand and Southern Australia cruises on Edge participating in multiple wine tasting excursions.  We didn’t bring wine back on, but I returned with others each time that did.  As others have said the rules are no, but I walked on each time with people who had bottles in brown bags, winery bags, and in back packs, and just placed them on the scanner belt. No one was stopped or questioned that I saw.

Hello,

It was quite a few years ago on Constellation but I did an 'Extensive Wine and Food' cruise to France and Spain. The menus on board were supposed to be indicative of our ports of call.

It was officially stated by X that we could bring on-board wine from our various ports of call.

Whilst I have many France and Spain cruises under my belt, none since have been called the above.

Regards,

Cublet

We too bought bottles of wine in Southern Australia last year as well as at the wineries near Picton, New Zealand just a couple of months ago. Both times, we brought all of them to our cabin. 

We, too, were able to keep our wine with us. I think they are more lenient in certain countries and if the cruise is specifically labeled as "Wine Cruise."

Not that Celebrity is known for it's logical reasoning, but if you think about it, if you have a drink package, any wine of your own that you drink is wine they don't have to pay for. 

Also, if you have a drink package, you do not have to pay a corkage fee.

• Like 1

I have brought onboard wine  and liquors from various ports around the world. Never been an issue. I would have been quite happy to turn it in until the end of cruise, but this was never requested of me. 

I think the answer is a definite “maybe.” I have done this several times. Have never tried to hide anything, just carried the wine aboard. I remember one time in Argentina, a wine shop set up at the end of the pier, we bought a couple of bottles, carried it aboard in the  clearly labeled Wine Shop bag. A fairly senior security staff member we had sailed with a few times was monitoring the x-ray processing. I held up the bag to show her, she nodded and said nothing. 

In Greece went to a winery, came back with two bottles and it was clear it was wine in a holder, scanned and I mentioned it and was just nodded on.

Feb went to duty free in Mexico, came back and told security I had alcohol, they let me take it to my room. Only one they held until last night was the one I bought on the ship

9 hours ago, Tudy said:

We, too, were able to keep our wine with us. I think they are more lenient in certain countries and if the cruise is specifically labeled as "Wine Cruise."

Not that Celebrity is known for it's logical reasoning, but if you think about it, if you have a drink package, any wine of your own that you drink is wine they don't have to pay for. 

Also, if you have a drink package, you do not have to pay a corkage fee.

The ability to bring wine back on board used to be the actual policy on a cruise designated as a Wine Cruise.  Maybe the spirit of it is still alive, even if the policy isn’t.