Joy Upgrade Advantage - Haven

Hey everyone! New member here. Definitely not new to cruising though..my wife and I have been on 8 NCL cruises together and about to go on our 9th next week. We're celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary and we wanted it to be really special. Which brings me to my question. Any and all input and help would really be appreciated.

We booked semi-last minute, about 30 days out. Into a club balcony.  It's on the 9th deck, and its a family club balcony so it has a tub which my wife isn't a fan of, but we really wanted this cruise to celebrate, so we decided to put in bids to upgrade. Bids. As in plural lol. Here are the facts:

1) We bid into 5 different Haven categories to try to raise our odds.

2) Each bid was about $50-$75 more than the minimum bids.

3) Our cruise on the NCL website is listed as sold out.

I've heard of bids being accepted 0-3 days out, so I'm trying to be patient but my anticipation is running wild.  I've also heard that we're basically hoping and waiting on Haven cancellations to even be eligible for an upgrade, but I've also heard NCL has rooms set aside for upgrades? I've ALSO heard that TA's have rooms set aside for their clients and they hold onto them until the last moment that they can release last minute that NCL can then use for upgrades. Which of these is the truth, and what would you guys say are our odds? Am I getting my hopes up?

Thanks!!

Probably not, ships are sailing at or over capacity these days and Haven rooms get booked out for full asking by cash. Since this is the Joy I’m guessing this is a Bermuda cruise which is already in demand to begin with. $50-$75 over min bid doesn’t move the needle, people pay close to full asking to even score an upgrade for Haven. 

1 hour ago, euph85 said:

I've also heard NCL has rooms set aside for upgrades?

why would they do that? (set aside an in-demand full-price item for sale at a discounted rate later on.) they are happy to sell upgrades if the room hasn't sold,  but they don't - to my knowledge - withhold cabin inventory specifically so they can later upgrade people. 

1 hour ago, euph85 said:

I've ALSO heard that TA's have rooms set aside for their clients and they hold onto them until the last moment that they can release last minute that NCL can then use for upgrades.

TAs don't really have rooms set aside for their clients. the only scenario under which this might be remotely possible is if this were a very large TA that acts as a consolidator by buying cabins in bulk and reselling them to its clients. but i don't see NCL offering haven cabins to consolidators. in any case, that inventory would belong to the TA who would be responsible for filling the room, and would not ordinarily be returned to NCL.

1 hour ago, euph85 said:

Which of these is the truth, and what would you guys say are our odds? Am I getting my hopes up?

neither is the truth and the odds are low this late in the game, even if you had bid close to the retail price of the cabin. but, hey, anything can happen.

happy anniversary!

• Like 2

Happy Anniversary! 

One thing in your favor, slightly, is that Joy has more Haven staterooms than other ships. If you would like even the smallest chance, you need to bid the maximum. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

Happy Anniversary! 

One thing in your favor, slightly, is that Joy has more Haven staterooms than other ships. If you would like even the smallest chance, you need to bid the maximum. 

Agree...and Happy Anniversary, OP!

Tough get.  First, there would have to be someone who was a "no show" for their Haven Cabin.  I guess it could happen....a major unfortunate sickness/accident.  And, if that were indeed the case, you'd have to outbid everyone else who put in an upgrade bid.  Thinking $50-$75 over minimum bid wouldn't even be close, especially given the Haven is sold out.

And, no....neither NCL nor TAs hold Haven cabins back for upgrades.  The Havens are the most expensive cabins on the ship and are the first to sell out.  NCL wants their money up front for them.  That would be a TON of money for a TA to tie up to "pre-book" Haven cabins.

The JOY is a very nice ship.  Enjoy your anniversary and don't worry about an upgrade.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, euph85 said:

Hey everyone! New member here. Definitely not new to cruising though..my wife and I have been on 8 NCL cruises together and about to go on our 9th next week. We're celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary and we wanted it to be really special. Which brings me to my question. Any and all input and help would really be appreciated.

We booked semi-last minute, about 30 days out. Into a club balcony.  It's on the 9th deck, and its a family club balcony so it has a tub which my wife isn't a fan of, but we really wanted this cruise to celebrate, so we decided to put in bids to upgrade. Bids. As in plural lol. Here are the facts:

I've heard of bids being accepted 0-3 days out, so I'm trying to be patient but my anticipation is running wild.  I've also heard that we're basically hoping and waiting on Haven cancellations to even be eligible for an upgrade, but I've also heard NCL has rooms set aside for upgrades? I've ALSO heard that TA's have rooms set aside for their clients and they hold onto them until the last moment that they can release last minute that NCL can then use for upgrades. Which of these is the truth, and what would you guys say are our odds? Am I getting my hopes up?

Thanks!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  As others have said, you likely would need to raise your bid to near the maximum to have a realistic shot.  The upgrades usually are sorted out about 48 hours prior to boarding, so you do have some time to raise your bid if you choose.  Regardless of whether you win or lose your bid, you should receive an email a day or two before boarding to advise your status.

Thanks everyone.

It's a long shot, but I'm inclined to agree with the slim-to-none shot since all of you guys basically said the same thing.

The one good news though, is that prior to our bids, my mother-in-law surprise gifted us a Vibe cabana.  So there's that!

• Like 4

On 5/13/2024 at 1:17 PM, euph85 said:

Thanks everyone.

It's a long shot, but I'm inclined to agree with the slim-to-none shot since all of you guys basically said the same thing.

The one good news though, is that prior to our bids, my mother-in-law surprise gifted us a Vibe cabana.  So there's that!

Whoa!!! How did momma get you a Vibe cabana? I'm sure @vacation44 would be interested in any information you could provide.

Congratulations on the first of many sensational years!!

For whatever this is worth, I was on the phone with NCL fixing a problem and at the end I asked out of curiosity what is the deal with bidding on upgrades, if I do a mock booking and see the cabin category I want is sold out, does that mean there is no chance to get the upgrade?  And the guy said no, that is not the case and I cannot remember his exact wording, but it was something to the effect that they do hold back cabins for upgrades.  Whether he is lying or misinformed, I certainly don’t know, just putting out there what I heard firsthand.  I’m not going to bid on the Haven, it’s way too expensive for an area allowing kids and anything in between my balcony cabin and the Haven would get me just about nothing above what I already have.  

1 hour ago, grouchomarx said:

For whatever this is worth, I was on the phone with NCL fixing a problem and at the end I asked out of curiosity what is the deal with bidding on upgrades, if I do a mock booking and see the cabin category I want is sold out, does that mean there is no chance to get the upgrade?  And the guy said no, that is not the case and I cannot remember his exact wording, but it was something to the effect that they do hold back cabins for upgrades.  Whether he is lying or misinformed, I certainly don’t know, just putting out there what I heard firsthand.  

Obviously I don’t have any inside information, but I doubt seriously that they “hold back” cabins (especially Haven cabins) for upgrades.  If they can sell the cabins for full price, that’s what they will do.  They accept bids on sold out categories in case of last minute cancellations, which do happen.  We’ve won two upgrades into the Haven on modest bids, but they were both in the immediate aftermath of Covid when they were still testing before being allowed to board the ship.   We found out we won the bid two hours after we boarded.  I strongly suspect the original occupants of our cabin tested positive on the pier.

There have been very few upgrades into the Haven in the last couple of years.  The cabins are selling out.  So I agree with the others.  Your chances of getting an upgrade into the Haven - even with a very strong bid - are close to zero.

15 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Obviously I don’t have any inside information, but I doubt seriously that they “hold back” cabins (especially Haven cabins) for upgrades.  If they can sell the cabins for full price, that’s what they will do.  They accept bids on sold out categories in case of last minute cancellations, which do happen.  We’ve won two upgrades into the Haven on modest bids, but they were both in the immediate aftermath of Covid when they were still testing before being allowed to board the ship.   We found out we won the bid two hours after we boarded.  I strongly suspect the original occupants of our cabin tested positive on the pier.

There have been very few upgrades into the Haven in the last couple of years.  The cabins are selling out.  So I agree with the others.  Your chances of getting an upgrade into the Haven - even with a very strong bid - are close to zero.

Oh I totally agree, I think the odds are slim to none even with a very good bid.  I didn’t really believe what he told me because of everything I’ve read online. Was just sharing because I thought it was interesting.  They don’t all know what they’re talking about!  Case in point I had two latitudes numbers by accident and called asking to merge them.  She was like sure!  No problem!  Ended up making my upcoming cruise completely disappear.  Got I fixed thank goodness.  So who knows who you’ll get on the phone and how reliable they are.

• Like 2

Last year on the Joy to Bermuda I bid max on the lowest level Haven room, and  did not get it. I did the same on an RCL equivalent in early 2022 when they weren’t full capacity and nada.

Now I’ll throw a small bid in “just in case”

but spend that money on Vibe, FAS+, extra dining and now the Thermal Spa, and I’m just as happy. 🙂

On 5/13/2024 at 12:05 PM, euph85 said:

Thanks!!

If there are any open Haven rooms, the upgrade will be processed on Monday or Tuesday of the week of cruise. There’s also potential for last-minute cancellations which would open up rooms to be upgraded.

Normally, two days prior to departure you’ll get an email saying that your upgrade is still being considered and could be processed up to the moment of departure. Then about an hour or two after departure, you’ll get an email saying that you’re upgrade was not successful.

This week, the Norwegian Joy is sailing with nearly 4400 passengers, against the 3800 capacity. So the ship is very full. There are over 1000 cabins with the potential bidding on Haven rooms. So a minimum bid (the dial pegged at the bottom of the “poor” range)!is highly unlikely to be successful.