Royal Club Hell is back on Quest.

oddjob16

9 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Royal Club also produces a cola product I’ve always wondered how that would be received by customers if it was the only cola offered?

If it's anything like Royal Crown Cola in the US – I would run the other way...

Back in the day when all colas in the US cost 5¢ (or later 10¢), Coke gave you 7.5 oz, Pepsi 12 oz and RC a whopping 16 oz.  Coke and Pepsi were similar, although I think I could have survived the "Pepsi Challenge" and identified Coke – but RC was just nasty.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I read somewhere that CocaCola was giving them Royal Club free to carry Coke products.  So take it and push it on the unsuspecting.  Then add Fevertree to the Premium (or at least Ultimate) package for those who are entitled to the better Gins.  That would hardly be a major expense.

I actually think that’s a great idea!

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I read somewhere that CocaCola was giving them Royal Club free to carry Coke products.  So take it and push it on the unsuspecting.  Then add Fevertree to the Premium (or at least Ultimate) package for those who are entitled to the better Gins.  That would hardly be a major expense.

Not sure, but I've been on a number of cruises where they have served Schweppes, which I have no problem with. 

Phil 

• Like 4

On 5/14/2024 at 2:58 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

It sounds like you have never tried Fevertree Elderflower Tonic with a floral gin like Tanqueray No 10.

Everyone’s taste is different, DH can’t stand the Fevertree Elderberry Tonic.  Give him regular Fevertree and he is happy.

Just now, jelayne said:

Everyone’s taste is different, DH can’t stand the Fevertree Elderberry Tonic.  Give him regular Fevertree and he is happy.

It depends on which Gin you are mating it with.  Fevertree has a very helpful chart:

fever-tree_pairing-wheel_starburst.thumb.jpg.7c29b565ff1cd99ec3e281233a02784b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It depends on which Gin you are mating it with.  Fevertree has a very helpful chart:

fever-tree_pairing-wheel_starburst.thumb.jpg.7c29b565ff1cd99ec3e281233a02784b.jpg

Oh for god’s sake. Maybe just stick with Schweppes and be done with it?

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

There must be some things that are important to you.  Shall I reply the same way then?

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Never occurred to me that a different tonic water would make a difference. Thanks for sharing!

6 minutes ago, laurieb said:

Never occurred to me that a different tonic water would make a difference. Thanks for sharing!

That wheel picture is a clever marketing ploy by Fever Tree do you carry lots of random bottles home from the shop.  Flavoured tonics do work if you’re very particular about tastes or if you’re working with a craft gin - Azamara is not!  It’s certainly useful to know the combinations for at home drinking but to be fair on ship they could probably only stock a premium generic tonic. 

For the last two years I’ve been giving feedback to Azamara to add the premium mixers to the Ultimate package as they have done for the waters but never had an acknowledgment of the comment (indeed one hotel director who I know claims he is a g and t drinker was very dismissive of the suggestion so I doubt it went any higher!). I will try again. 

10 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I totally agree. It just goes too far. Like one is trying to prove one's superior knowledge. And that chart is completely irrelevant as far as Azamara's market position goes. 

Phil 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I totally agree. It just goes too far. Like one is trying to prove one's superior knowledge. And that chart is completely irrelevant as far as Azamara's market position goes. 

Phil 

Agree to be clear I’m only talking about adding a generic premium mixer to the package not a number of alternatives. As I say that wheel is clever marketing- just like the clever marketing Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich did to buy into the US whisky market when other better options were around 

• Like 2

Hopefully, the new CEO will get feedback from those monitoring these boarrds (and elsewhere!) regarding the desirability of improving the quality of the tonic water offered, which is clearly of importance to many gin drinkers, in the same way as people have their favourite spirits. I agree that a full range of fevertree offerings would be unrealistic to expect, just regular and light alternatives would suffice. Cannot speak for other countries but I do believe that in the UK at least fevertree is considered to be rather better than schweppes as a brand offering.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, laurieb said:

As Fevertree says:  if 3/4 of your G&T is tonic, why isn't the tonic just as important as the gin?

As to the complaint that this is too complicated:  Azamara does stock gins from each of the quarters of this wheel.  Hendricks, which I have found in practically every bar I have been in, pairs best with the Elderflower tonic – that's my go-to G&T combination at home.  If they don't have it, I ask the bartender to use a combination of St-Germain Elderflower liqueur and soda water – but I think Fevertree makes it even better.

And I should note that it was on this very forum that I was educated about G&Ts and steered toward the type of gins I prefer, most of which do go well with Elderflower.  So I'm not the only one here who has definite preferences on this.

If the Royal Club continues, I may have to switch to martinis.  Although I don't think I could go as far as Noël Coward's alleged recipe:  "Fill a glass with gin and wave it in the general direction of Italy." 😁

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We are trying Azamara for the first time in July. I was pleased to read that my go to gin, Gordon’s, is on the basic liquors menu. I’m not too fussy about tonic water and usually go with the safeway/albertsons economy tonic water. All this talk about Royal Club, which I’ve never heard of is making me anxious. Obviously  a bit of a hassle, but I’ll be purchasing my own tonic water as we stop in at places. Bring a can to the bar I suppose.

Does anyone know how much sugar is in a 12 ounce can of this stuff? I can’t find a decent nutrition label online, thanks. 

Edited by Nearpost345

3 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

We are trying Azamara for the first time in July. I was pleased to read that my go to gin, Gordon’s, is on the basic liquors menu. I’m not too fussy about tonic water and usually go with the safeway/albertsons economy tonic water. All this talk about Royal Club, which I’ve never heard of is making me anxious. Obviously  a bit of a hassle, but I’ll be purchasing my own tonic water as we stop in at places. Bring a can to the bar I suppose.

Does anyone know how much sugar is in a 12 ounce can of this stuff? I can’t find a decent nutrition label online, thanks. 

My guess is that even if they do have Royal Club, they’ll have Schweppes sugar free tonic as well, just make sure you ask for it.