Celebrity removes loungers from balcony?

59 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

From the posts from those currently on board it seems that the Magic Carpet Suites continue to have the loungers, tables and chairs.

So that’s why they call them “Magic”? 🙄

Exactly!  The magic carpet is the lounger.  You are totally correct!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

From the posts from those currently on board it seems that the Magic Carpet Suites continue to have the loungers, tables and chairs.

Please don't tell anyone.  But, I believe in Magic.  😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

So is this the new marketing strategy to push this type of cabin into one of the most expensive ones due to having a lounger? Maybe.

Yet others have reported no loungers at all on the Magic Carpet suites. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

someone posted earlier a picture of their MC Suite. no loungers. Just the 2 chairs and a table

Yet others are saying they have them.  Such inconsistency!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Liao said:

Yet others are saying they have them.  Such inconsistency!

inconsistency exactly. That is what happened with the footstools, different wines like Decoy, canapes, shower/personal sized shampoos/body lotion  etc,   welcome bottle of …etc.  Inconsistency makes it hard on the staff.  if a decision is made, and HO says it is so, then implement it fleet wide.  

• Like 1

I suspect it’s multi purpose.  For one thing, they are expensive to replace and as was also mentioned, we don’t spend money when we are lounging on our balconies.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Octavias said:

I suspect it’s multi purpose.  For one thing, they are expensive to replace and as was also mentioned, we don’t spend money when we are lounging on our balconies.  

Folks spend money on room service while lounging on balconies.  Room service fees are waived for Zeniths and some room categories, but not for all passengers.

We always try to sail in aft cabins with the large balconies. Been doing it for years. This is the primary reason for choosing a Millenium class ship for a particular sailing. On a longer cruise, we take full advantage of relaxing on the loungers while taking in the views. This is important to a lot of us, and we all pay more $$ for those balconies.

I've written Celebrity and asked them to clarify the lounger "policy" for our November Constellation Transatlantic in an SV. I expect a stock response, but we'll see.

I would suggest that for those of you who've actually been deprived of a lounger(s), let Celebrity know that you are unhappy with losing that standard piece of comfortable furniture. And it sure as heck shouldn't be "on request" ... our cabin stewards/ butlers have enough to do!

Other bad decisions (cookies/vaping) were rescinded based on our outcries. Who knows where this one will land.

• Like 5

I’m thinking that fewer emails to HQ could be better.

If HQ thinks they have changed the policy but the ships on request will put them on balconies that had them previously it could be a win-win. 

The reality is that the vast majority of cabins have not had loungers so the change impacts a small percent of the passengers.  I say let HQ think loungers are gone and let them focus on things like the wines available that are important to a large part of the passengers.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Received a call from X today referencing comments I'd made re lack of loungers on our Feb. cruise in a Royal Suite.  They left VM which said the following:

We are gathering information from August to see if something can be done in the future.  The loungers were removed because of safety reasons and there are no plans to put them back.

So there you have it.  They did leave a number that I can call and I will.  But I've crossed X off my list of cruise lines for future cruises.   

Also, while the change affects a small number of passengers, it affects the highest revenue passengers, which is a target demographic.

Edited by ggo85
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, jelayne said:

If HQ thinks they have changed the policy but the ships on request will put them on balconies that had them previously it could be a win-win. 

The reality is that the vast majority of cabins have not had loungers so the change impacts a small percent of the passengers.  I say let HQ think loungers are gone and let them focus on things like the wines available that are important to a large part of the passengers.

Maybe you are giving Celebrity too much credit?  Maybe not, jelayne, but I will be implementing plan A, B and then C if necessary.🤷‍♀️

Edited by Lastdance
Ask, barter and cash

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jelayne said:

I say let HQ think loungers are gone and let them focus on things like the wines available that are important to a large part of the passengers.

I do see your point. On the other hand, that plan seems like it would only work for a short while until the current loungers wear out and are not replaced.  Maybe better to let them know we aren’t happy? 

Edited by SerraG
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Octavias said:

But if we have a liquor package, we are actually saving them money when we are lounging in our balconies!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jelayne said:

With respect jelayne, with the aft SVs (formerly C1s) and Ultra CIs on Deck 6, and SSs and every other suite, that seems to be a significant number. Especially since these are all more pricey staterooms. More $$ should equal more amenities, shouldn't it?

And while I agree that it's infuriating to be dinged a couple of extra bucks for wines that had always been included in premium packages, I'm far more concerned with being comfortable in my cabin and on my balcony!

As for the cost excuse? Soft furnishings are all on a usable life cycle and must be replaced from time to time. It's in the budget. And safety? That excuse is pure and unadulterated nonsense! Not gonna fly!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I also book aft cabins. We have a SV on the Edge for our Alaska cruise. 
If it’s a safety issue then why does Oceania and several other lines have loungers on their extended balcony cabins?

• Like 5

I asked X about safety, given that there are lots of loungers on deck. I was told that the passengers in the X cabins with loungers used them irresponsibly. My response:  if X’s demographics in suites (or any cabin for that matter) are too irresponsible to use their loungers safely, is that a line on which I want to cruise?  No. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

I asked X about safety, given that there are lots of loungers on deck. I was told that the passengers in the X cabins with loungers used them irresponsibly. My response:  if X’s demographics in suites (or any cabin for that matter) are too irresponsible to use their loungers safely, is that a line on which I want to cruise?  No. 

IMO, X is getting a lot of first time passengers crossing over from other cruise lines. The demographic is not necessarily the same which would explain the differences in behavior.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

"I was told that the passengers in the X cabins with loungers used them irresponsibly."

"Irresponsibly?" Goodess, what could they possibly mean??

bow-chicka(1).gif.da7ce6a39d3e9a8ae62b06887d26fc39.gif

• Haha 2

On 5/22/2024 at 12:11 PM, jelayne said:

And that small percentage of passengers paid dearly for that suite experience which includes a larger balcony with loungers.  Just because it doesn't affect the majority, doesn't mean it's ok and the collective we should move on.  Its just as important to these passengers as wines are to others. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

IMO, X is getting a lot of first time passengers crossing over from other cruise lines. The demographic is not necessarily the same which would explain the differences in behavior.

This is so true!  I keep reading on social media sites about how marvelous Celebrity is from first-timers, the ones who are out and about until all hours.  The stock price indicates this too!

• Like 2

I'm still flummoxed as to what would be considered "responsible etiquette" for lying on your balcony lounger. 

In Celebrity's view, is it irresponsible to access the lounger from the right side, or should it be from the left? (Maybe different if you're a Brit and drive your car from the right!) Does your butt go down first, or should it be hand placement? Is the book you're reading banned in Florida? Did you get too comfy on your lounger, fall asleep, snore a bit, and disturb the guest next door? Did you do a disco dance on top of the lounger, fall off, and drop in for drinks to the cabin below?! Did you invite a bunch of folks over and try to see how many you could pile onto the lounger before the legs gave out?!

Oh, fer cryin' out loud!! "Irresponsible behavior" has Nothing to do with the darned balcony lounger!! Irresponsibility is about being too noisy, or abusive, or drunk, or smoking, or hosting a balcony party at 2:00AM.

I say, send in those letters. Let Celebrity explain why our sister lines (and Celebrity competitors) aren't removing loungers from balconies that have always accommodated them. At the very least, they might come up with a better excuse!

Oh, and will there be a new posting of rules for "responsible behavior" when parked in a pool deck lounger? Wouldn't want to get in trouble!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, and one last perceived act of lounger "irresponsibility": Perhaps there was a report of guests engaging in amorous activity on their lounger? Of course, that could happen, but I doubt that it would be in sufficient numbers to entail an epidemic of lounger abuse!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2