Celebrity removes loungers from balcony?

56 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We had 1 and along with the 2 chairs and table.  I think you are in the same suite as we were.

9204?  And if there's at least 1 lounger, we will be happy!  How was the room in general?

I received a call from Celebrity about loungers and was told there would be none available due to safety reasons.   Again, another ploy because someone did something, so we all have to be protected from ourselves...that’s why we have insurance.  If someone decides to stand on a lounger and gets hurt, why should we all suffer?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I received a call from Celebrity about loungers and was told there would be none available due to safety reasons.   Again, another ploy because someone did something, so we all have to be protected from ourselves...that’s why we have insurance.  If someone decides to stand on a lounger and gets hurt, why should we all suffer?

Oh no!  Not good at all.  What are we, children?  Do I need to sign a liability waiver?  Wow!  I hope you expressed your dissatisfaction in the absurdity of this decision.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I can hurt myself with a chair… even a table will do if I’m determined.  Good grief, the loungers can’t be that dangerous!  There must be something else going on here. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

We were in a RS on Reflection in Feb.  No loungers or footstools.  We were told lack of lounger was a space issue and footstools a safety issue. Get your story straight, X!  Not to mention, the balcony was huge - could easily accommodate 2 loungers. 

We asked for a lounger and got one. Used 2 of the 4 chairs as footstools (with towels). 

At the time, we mentioned here and to X in person and in the survey that it is a deal breaker for us.  We are doing one more cruise next month on X (booked 18 months ago) and then moving back to lines with loungers, such as SS and Crystal.

Yes, it really is that important to us. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ggo85 said:

We were in a RS on Reflection in Feb.  No loungers or footstools.  We were told lack of lounger was a space issue and footstools a safety issue. Get your story straight, X!  Not to mention, the balcony was huge - could easily accommodate 2 loungers. 

We asked for a lounger and got one. Used 2 of the 4 chairs as footstools (with towels). 

At the time, we mentioned here and to X in person and in the survey that it is a deal breaker for us.  We are doing one more cruise next month on X (booked 18 months ago) and then moving back to lines with loungers, such as SS and Crystal.

The RS on S class has always had one very oversized lounger with thick padding, two chairs, a table and a whirl pool tub.  So they even took away the over sized lounger?  Frankly, I thought it was too big for the space.  Glad they brought you 2 "normal" loungers tho.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

Are beds next?  How about TP, pillows, drawers etc?

Loungers are important to us too.  We have an Oceania cruise next May; I was told that my suite would have a lounger, nice table and two chairs.  For now, I will be finding a lounger for my b2b on Celebrity, as nothing is impossible if you keep trying!  The ladder has a lot of different individuals as one climbs to higher heights...call it the lounger challenge!🤷‍♀️

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

There were zero loungers of any size.  4 chairs.  2 were normal table chairs.  2 had high backs and a curved base that apparently was supposed to conform to your bending legs / knees.  The former became footstools. The latter were just plain uncomfortable.  I almost canceled our upcoming cruise. 

Absolutely ZERO interest in booking a future X cruise.  Not even glancing at brochures.  We LOVE sitting on our verandah watching the water or whatever is happening in port.  Sitting like a child at a school desk is not my idea of relaxation. 

3 cruises booked in next year.  None on X. 

X has a choice as do we.  We choose to take our business elsewhere. 

• Like 8

Hmmmm.  Do we need to rise up on loungers as we did on cookies, vaping, Decoy wine , etc etc.  all decisions they reversed when we ‘protested’ en masse.  

• Like 6

Maybe they're not worried about passenger safety. Maybe it's a crew safety issue... 

It would be nice if they'd just tell people what the issue is. Calling it safety but not going any further just annoys people. But I've worked in environments where as soon as the "safety" word was raised, everything stopped. Risk management becomes risk elimination. It also doesn't help that there's huge inconsistency. If it is a safety issue, it's a safety issue. You don't do it sometimes and not others. 

Of course if they've had crew injuries that are caught up in litigation, they probably can't say anything. Lawyers...

They could be just doing something stupid, but the automatic assumption that everything is malicious has gotten old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Hmmmm.  Do we need to rise up on loungers as we did on cookies, vaping, Decoy wine , etc etc.  all decisions they reversed when we ‘protested’ en masse.  

United we stand, divided we fall. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So after a conversation with the Retreat manager I was told that loungers in most suites will now be “by request “ only so I guess if you don’t have one ask

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Salf777 said:

So after a conversation with the Retreat manager I was told that loungers in most suites will now be “by request “ only so I guess if you don’t have one ask

So it’s only a safety issue if you don’t ask! 🤣🤣 I’d love to know what the safety issue is for the footstools! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, cbfb said:

So it’s only a safety issue if you don’t ask! 🤣🤣 I’d love to know what the safety issue is for the footstools! 

Suppose one is out on their balcony…it’s a full moon. Stay with me. It’s a full moon but land is on the horizon basking in moon glow illumination. And suddenly, from out of nowhere, a blue pelican … no, albatross …yes, a very rare blue albatross flutters into the scene juxtaposed by the moonlight and land off into the distance. And Simon has his new iPhone 15 plus pro with autopilot cameras and on demand flash. And with voice command he orders up a pic…for his cruise critic friends, of course. But blimey!  The darn device has a mind of its own and if only Simon was just a bit taller he could capture the entire scene. And in a moment of pure genius Simon fashions a photo platform by stacking his FOOTSTOOL atop of his lounger offering the perfect vantage point for the most exquisite photo in cruising history. When suddenly a gust of wind rushes in from out of nowhere and sweeps Simon off his feet, over the railing and into the arms of the unsuspecting cabin steward who just happened to be cleaning the drink glasses from the balcony one deck below. Fortunately, Simon is slight in stature and only suffers mild contusions while the poor steward endured the brunt of the impact and must therefore be placed on bed rest until the ship’s doctor deems he’s made a full recovery.

If only there was a way to get rid of those dastardly dangerous balcony loungers and their accompanying footstools!!!

It could happen….

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Josie201 said:

Yup!  I had the same thought!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

9204?  And if there's at least 1 lounger, we will be happy!  How was the room in general?

Yes 9204.  The room was fine we like the MC suites but we could never get acclimated in that one.  Probably because in our 5 other MC suites we  had a layout where when you entered the bed/ bath were on the right.  9204 has the opposite, bed and bath on left.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, peterde said:

They replace the outdoor furniture every few years. IMO I think it’s a cost savings as loungers cost way more that chairs. 

My husband said the same thing when I told him about the change.  

• Like 3

I have to add that it was mentioned in my conversation with Celebrity that loungers have been taken inside the cabins for whatever reason too.  Children are jumping on them, or using them inappropriately.  Maybe going from the bed to the lounger to the couch and back?  Instead of the shotgun approach, maybe deal with those who are causing the problem instead of punishing your loyal and new customers...just common sense.  Yes, I did say that!  For the prices Celebrity is charging, at least allow loungers on those cabins/suites that have balconies.  If safety is such a huge concern, maybe passengers should not even be allowed onboard, as there is furniture all over the ship...

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Salf777 said:

Yes our butler told us they were removed from the entire ship and I asked even the very high end suites and he said yes no one had loungers. Was talking at the pool and this was apparently not true so I said to the concierge when did they do away with loungers in MC sky suite. He said you want them I said yes if possible he said no problem 

What do you mean by talking or going to the concierge to request loungers in suites?  Is there a place set up as concierge on Celebrity now?  If no loungers in our sunset sky balcony in less than 10 days, I want to go request from them.  Just one for us since my husband do not like loungers due to his back. 

Edited by rinshin

One thing I noticed on Reflection.  On the sun deck, because there is inadequate space, loungers are set touching each other side to side and with minimal distance between the front of one lounger and the back of another.  Also, the way the loungers are designed, the foundation sticks out beyond the seat cover in the front.  If you're not looking down and paying attention, it's easy trip over it.

Also, again due to lack of space, loungers end up protruding into the jogging track.  The length of the lounger vs. the length of available space b/t the rail and track means that, if you move it 2", it's on the track.  (To be fair, the ship's crew tries to monitor this and tells you to move the lounger back, but it's a lost cause.)

It's a real challenge to navigate your way to / from a lounger without tripping.  I tripped and fell (and I'm pretty agile).  People around me tripped.  It's a wonder no one was injured.   

So, if there's a safety issue, they should start with the sun decks, which have a lot of loungers and a lot of (sometimes drunk) passengers.  That situation is a lot more dangerous than a huge balcony with one lounger.  Thus, 100% guarantee that, as the poster above suggested, it's a cost thing.  

And . . . it's costing them (at least a few) customers. 

• Like 5

On many of our cruises, I see multiple stacks of unused loungers as you enter the pool area from the buffet. Maybe we should just abscond with one, head down the elevator, and scurry to our cabin!

• Like 1