Questions About a 17 Day Cruise

I’m sailing with my friend on the Emerald Princess and the longest cruise we have ever sailed was 14 days. That cruise was actually a b2b on the Discovery Princess inaugural and second sailing. My questions are on a 17 day sailing… Do the MDR menus repeat every seven days? What about the entertainment? Will you see the same shows over and over. Will they treat it like 2 1/2 b2bs and just repeat everything each week? Or will they treat a 17 days cruise as one cruise where everything thing is new and not repeated in the MDR or entertainment?

Please share your MDR experiences and any patters if you have them. Please share whatever you got. Thank you so much I am looking forward to 17 days on a cruise ship.,

Any packing tips. Do you have a list of MUTS movies? I hope the beds a comfortable. Have you been able to get a hold of a mattress topper? 

The activity content will not be repeated, but the some of the activities will be repeated, i.e. trivia will happen every day but the topics will change, same with the enrichment.  The game shows will tend to only happen once, unless one is really popular.  In terms of theater entertainment, you will probably cycle through all of the production shows that are performed on the ship at the time you're on.  Depending on how many sea days there are between ports, the guest performers might headline twice, different show on different night.  It's becoming more and more common for the ED to squeeze in a repeat matinee show of a performance that was completely full.  Princess menus cycle every 14 days, so you will definitely see the menu repeat a few days on your cruise.  Not sure if you've been on a Princess cruise recently, but the lunch menus stay the same every day except for the soup of the day and one entree.  Not sure how often you wear clothes in between washing, but the Guest Laundry will be your friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The activity content will not be repeated, but the some of the activities will be repeated, i.e. trivia will happen every day but the topics will change, same with the enrichment.  The game shows will tend to only happen once, unless one is really popular.  In terms of theater entertainment, you will probably cycle through all of the production shows that are performed on the ship at the time you're on.  Depending on how many sea days there are between ports, the guest performers might headline twice, different show on different night.  It's becoming more and more common for the ED to squeeze in a repeat matinee show of a performance that was completely full.  Princess menus cycle every 14 days, so you will definitely see the menu repeat a few days on your cruise.  Not sure if you've been on a Princess cruise recently, but the lunch menus stay the same every day except for the soup of the day and one entree.  Not sure how often you wear clothes in between washing, but the Guest Laundry will be your friend.

Thank you for this helpful information. I have Elite laundry benefits but I can see me doing my own laundry. On our 14 day cruise the menus cycled after 7 days. I’m looking forward to seeing what is on the 14 day rotation. We have 9 sea days. Take care and thank you. 

• Like 1

Is it a solely 17 day cruise? Or is it sold in short segments also? That makes a difference to the answers...

Assuming it's a single 17 day sailing, not sold in any shorter segments, etc : purely 17 nights:

No, entertainment, menus, etc so not repeat  

There will be some menu items that show up more than once, but in different combination of menus. For example - you may see an appetizer 2 different times, but it'll be on two different menus...

Guest entertainers will be different throughout the cruise. 

There will be the same production shows, but they'll only be once throughout the sailing.

Different game shows, trivias, etc throughout the entire 17 days..

However, if it's a combination of shorter cruises out together as one sailing - yes, you'll see duplications.. menus, production shows, etc will be repeated as each segment is a standalone sailing.... 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@reedprincess It is the 17 day Canada & Greenland Cruise on the Emerald Princess. It’s a true 17 day cruise. Thank you so much.

The cruises and ships really vary with repeats.  Our 31 night So Pac cruise repeated menus every 10 days.  Some of them every 14 days.  
Our 16 night Hawaii repeated every 7 nights.  

So, what we do, ask the head waiter once OB, how often the menu is repeated and make note of our favorite meals, plan our SD, CD nights, etc.
Important, if you do really long cruises or a lot of b2b’s.  🥴

• Thanks 1

The description provided in post #2 gives you a good idea of what will happen.

Dinner menus do not repeat on a 7 day cycle. Princess has lots of experience with longer cruises. Some menu items will repeat, and some exact menus will repeat. I think of it this way. When you go to a local land based restaurant you mostly see the same menu each time. 

Trivia questions will be different each time.

Guest entertainers, such as comics, will most likely perform in multiple shows with different content. Looking at the itinerary it might be difficult to fly in new entertainers once the ship sails from Newfoundland to Greenland and then returns to Newfoundland, about 8 or 9 days. 

Activities such as karaoke will be scheduled almost every day.

The party band as well as the other lounge performers will perform each evening as they normally do. There might be special performances by the Princess Orchestra such as a jazz set and what Princess calls the World Cruise Orchestra which is a consolidation of the Princess Orchestra and other musician/singers from the lounge acts.

Bingo - yes every sea day.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Just off of a 16 day cruise on the Ruby. No menus were repeated. I rarely see repeat dinner menus unless the cruise is also offered as a b2b

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, memoak said:

Just off of a 16 day cruise on the Ruby. No menus were repeated. I rarely see repeat dinner menus unless the cruise is also offered as a b2b

Thank you. We have never had anything over a seven day menu since they were repeating on our b2b. This may be interesting.

I took the 16-day Greenland cruise on the CB two years ago. We had some dishes repeat on the menus, but not whole menus repeated. We missed our first port, unfortunately. That meant that the guest entertainers we were going to pick up there did not make it on the ship. The ones already on the ship performed additional shows of new material. When we've taken transatlantic cruises, we had guest performers do more than one show as well with the second show being new material. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

I took the 16-day Greenland cruise on the CB two years ago. We had some dishes repeat on the menus, but not whole menus repeated. We missed our first port, unfortunately. That meant that the guest entertainers we were going to pick up there did not make it on the ship. The ones already on the ship performed additional shows of new material. When we've taken transatlantic cruises, we had guest performers do more than one show as well with the second show being new material. 

@geoherb, Thank you for the info.

What month did you cruise? I have questions if you feel like answering. 😊

9 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@geoherb, Thank you for the info.

What month did you cruise? I have questions if you feel like answering. 😊

August. I did a live thread but would be happy to answer any questions I can.
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2873693-live-caribbean-princess-to-canada-and-greenland-august-15-31-2022-geoherb-goes-solo-again/

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2024 at 11:17 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Do the MDR menus repeat every seven days?

the vegan menu has 2 repeat options: some ships have an 18 day rotation and others a 7 day rotation. But I do find selections (not full menu) slipping in here & there. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, geoherb said:

Thank you so much! I searched for a live thread, but I could not find one. I don’t know why I have so many problems with the search function… User error??? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you so much! I searched for a live thread, but I could not find one. I don’t know why I have so many problems with the search function… User error??? 

*EVERYBODY* has issues with the CC Search!

• Haha 1