Rome for people who have been there before

cruisegal415

We are spending three days in Rome before our cruise in August (I know, too hot and crowded but we had our reasons for going at that time).  

Last time we were in Rome, we saw the following:

Rome Colosseum with Underground Tour, Forum and Palatine Hill;

Catacombs of San Sebastiano, The Basilica of San Clemente, The Capuchin Crypt and Museum;

Vatican, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica (including seeing the pope);

The Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Colonna, Palazzo Montecitorio, Pantheon, Palazzo Madama (Senate of the Italian Republic), Piazza Navona – Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Campo de' Fiori; Trastaverte

We don't feel a need to visit any of the above again, except we will go back to St. Peter's Basilica to see the papal tombs, which we did not see last time.

Apart from doing a day trip to Florence/Pisa (been there also) or to Tuscany (been there also), what suggestions do you have for us to see this time? 

We do plan on spending time just wandering around, but we know that it will be hot and crowded so are trying to plan out tours ahead of time.

At that time of year I would plan one or two things to see early in the morning, then beat it back to the hotel to rest during the worst of the heat and head back out later in the afternoon.  These are the trips that are just made for long, leisurely lunches followed by a nap to sleep off the wine,

I've spent months in Rome and keep going back, there's no shortage of things to see and do right in town.  You could also do an easy day trip up to Castel Gandolfo, the Vatican offers several different tours of the palace and gardens, and it might be a tad cooler up there.  Tivoli is another easy day trip.

But right in Rome there is still so much.  I didn't see Castel Sant'Angelo on your list, that would pair well with your return stop at the basilica.  By the way, I'd be in the piazza before 7 AM for the basilica to avoid horrendous security lines that form quickly.  

The Mausoleum of Hadrian - Saint Angel Castle | Turismo Roma

• Thanks 1

I will plead guilty to happily returning to the Piazza Navona area, again and again and again.  But I also "get it" that some folks always want to experience new places/things.  Perhaps the OP might want to consider a day trip (or spending a night) at Tivoli.  It is not far from Rome, there are day tour options or one can simply head to that area DIY.  Rather than boring folks with the details, just Google "Tivoli, Italy" and read about the related tourist info.  It is certainly worthy of an entire day.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The SCAVI tour under St. Peters is very interesting (this is different than papal tombs).  However, it may be too late for you to book, as it is a very limited due to the close quarters.  I think less than 12 people in the group when we went.

Based on other threads the response from the SCAVI office has not been prompt either.  However, they are nice folks and good tour guides just slow to respond it seems.  - it is completely different staff than the Vatican Museum.  

Edited by CCJack
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will plead guilty to happily returning to the Piazza Navona area, again and again and again.  But I also "get it" that some folks always want to experience new places/things.  Perhaps the OP might want to consider a day trip (or spending a night) at Tivoli.  It is not far from Rome, there are day tour options or one can simply head to that area DIY.  Rather than boring folks with the details, just Google "Tivoli, Italy" and read about the related tourist info.  It is certainly worthy of an entire day.

Hank

A day in Tivoli sounds promising--Villa D'Este and Villla Adriana sound lovely!

@cruisegal415

The Domus Aurea (Nero's palace) is great.  It includes one of the best virtual reality experiences I have seen.  The entrance is right across the road from the Colosseo.  It is only open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.  You must book tickets on the colosseo.it website.

• Thanks 1

Ten days ago we rented a small car (manual transmission) in Civitavecchia. The cost was 75 Euros for the day, which I found to be acceptable. We drove to the thermal baths of Saturnia in Tascany. Access is free, parking is a few Euros.

image.thumb.jpeg.f6ee0a37c2641ecf7b933e1f43c82f0c.jpeg

Then we spend the rest of the day in Pitigliano (aka Little Jerusalem of Italy) just wondering the streets of this beautiful medieval town on top of a hill. This day end up being more fun, relaxing and enjoyable than both Mykonos and Santorini days later.
image.thumb.jpeg.094bd845f43e4a96a9c0beeb571203f5.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 11:23 AM, CCJack said:

The SCAVI tour under St. Peters is very interesting (this is different than papal tombs).  However, it may be too late for you to book, as it is a very limited due to the close quarters.  I think less than 12 people in the group when we went.

Based on other threads the response from the SCAVI office has not been prompt either.  However, they are nice folks and good tour guides just slow to respond it seems.  - it is completely different staff than the Vatican Museum.  

Another vote for SCAVI tour as well as the Galleria Borghese.

3 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Great! Booked a SCAVI tour and the Galleri8a Borghese. Thanks!

There is a very nice park, right in front of the Borghese.  If the weather is good, one can buy some decent food/snacks from one of the vendors and enjoy a low priced picnic on a park bench or the lawn.  The Scavi tour and Borghese sounds like a perfect day plan :).

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, CeleBrat said:

How are you all booking Scavi tours?  I have sent multiple requests, and not gotten a single response!

I actually found one through TripAdvisor, and I wasn't sure if it was the actual Scavi tour but it is tickets through Vatican tickets and I called to double check.

On 5/31/2024 at 3:33 PM, cruisegal415 said:

I actually found one through TripAdvisor, and I wasn't sure if it was the actual Scavi tour but it is tickets through Vatican tickets and I called to double check.

Actually just got notified that my tour was cancelled, apparently they were full when Viator took my reservation.  GRRRRr

On 5/31/2024 at 2:40 PM, CeleBrat said:

How are you all booking Scavi tours?  I have sent multiple requests, and not gotten a single response!

If you are trying to book far in advance they won't answer until closer to your requested date.

Have you been to Ostia Antica yet? A short train ride from Rome and  sort of like a miniature Pompei, but with shade!  Also we loved the Museo Nazionale Romano museum in Rome.  It features amazing frescos including one whole room devoted to the famous painted gardens of Livia (related or wife of an emperor, if my memory serves). For some reason, this museum seems to be off the beaten track and when we went just before the pandemic, was blissfully uncrowde)

On 5/29/2024 at 11:53 AM, cruisegal415 said:

Great! Booked a SCAVI tour and the Galleri8a Borghese. Thanks!

Good choice with the Borghese Gallery.  I did a guided tour with an art expert on a post-cruise visit last year, and later this year, I am visiting on my own post-cruise in order to see the works not included on the tour.  

Be aware that only very small purses or waist packs are allowed in the gallery.  Any other purses and bags must be checked.   I was not prepared for that, and I hated turning my purse (with my passport) over to be checked, though I did keep my wallet and my phone in my pockets. This year I will be prepared with a purse that meets their size limitation.  

We were went to Borghese gallery two weeks ago, the second floor is currently closed for renovations.  That’s where most of the paintings are on exhibit.  They have moved some of the paintings to the main floor but the majority are at the Museum Barberini.  We still felt it was well worth the visit.

On 5/31/2024 at 11:40 AM, CeleBrat said:

It was very frustrating. We called and emailed. Then one day I magically got a response. 

I paid. 

Then a few weeks ago I got an email I had never confirmed and my reservation was canceled. 

I have no confidence when we show up in two weeks that we will find the mysterious excavation office or that we will have a reservation. 

I hope it works out for you. 

we booked directly I think !!

On 6/7/2024 at 10:35 AM, nadeki said:

It was very frustrating. We called and emailed. Then one day I magically got a response. 

I paid. 

Then a few weeks ago I got an email I had never confirmed and my reservation was canceled. 

I have no confidence when we show up in two weeks that we will find the mysterious excavation office or that we will have a reservation. 

I hope it works out for you. 

we booked directly I think !!

Finding the entrance is not too difficult one you realize it is on the left side (as you gaze up at the main entrance to St Peters).  Also be forewarned that they are very strict about no carrying items on the tour.  When we went (a few years ago) DW even had to check her purse which was done at a separate location on the right side of St Peters!  

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Finding the entrance is not too difficult one you realize it is on the left side (as you gaze up at the main entrance to St Peters).  Also be forewarned that they are very strict about no carrying items on the tour.  When we went (a few years ago) DW even had to check her purse which was done at a separate location on the right side of St Peters!  

Hank

Thank you very much