Haven Question Re: Food Republic

Several years ago, Haven guests received 50% off at Food Republic on the first night of the cruise. Does anyone know of any deals like this currently (at FR or any other specialty restaurant)?

Posted (edited)

I have a vague memory of that in the early days of the Escape.  But have not heard of that for a very long time.  To assist with the crowds the newer ships would give Haven guests an option to have lunch at Margaitaville (when it existed) or the American Diner.  Not sure if that still is in effect.  I have not heard of any dinner discounts lately.  Going way back people in the Haven used to be able to get specialty restaurant appetizers for free in the Haven.  That's all long gone.

I had completely forgotten about the Food Republic discount.  That's odd to think about from today's perspective.  I suppose The Food Republic was seen as a lunch place and maybe they were trying to jump start a dinner crowd or maybe it was throwing a small perk to Haven guests.  I do remember it. I never experienced it but it was in the days when Food Republic was a new concept.  Did not last long.

Edited by david_sobe

16 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I have a vague memory of that in the early days of the Escape.  But have not heard of that for a very long time.  To assist with the crowds the newer ships would give Haven guests an option to have lunch at Margaitaville (when it existed) or the American Diner.  Not sure if that still is in effect.  I have not heard of any dinner discounts lately.  Going way back people in the Haven used to be able to get specialty restaurant appetizers for free in the Haven.  That's all long gone.

I had completely forgotten about the Food Republic discount.  That's odd to think about from today's perspective.  I suppose The Food Republic was seen as a lunch place and maybe they were trying to jump start a dinner crowd or maybe it was throwing a small perk to Haven guests.  I do remember it. I never experienced it but it was in the days when Food Republic was a new concept.  Did not last long.

Thanks. I had totally forgotten about getting free lunch at Margaritaville on embarkation day. Another perk lost to time...

I just poised this same question a few weeks back and got similar responses! It was a nice perk and it relieved the Haven restaurant on embarkation day. Back then, my entire family took advantage of going to both Margaritaville, and then later Food Republic. 

But then, I also remember when Haven passengers didn’t pay gratuities on free at sea, and could eat unlimited meals with the specialty meal package! Long gone…

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

I do recall either a discount or free FR first day.  Have not seen mentioned long time.  

I remember a 50% discount at FR for lunch but I've never been offered a discount of any kind for dinner at any specialty restaurant.

8 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I remember a 50% discount at FR for lunch but I've never been offered a discount of any kind for dinner at any specialty restaurant.

I first sailed in the Haven in 2013. I understand unlimited specialty dining for haven passengers ended shortly thereafter. Others here may know of the exact year.

19 minutes ago, roddy good boy said:

I first sailed in the Haven in 2013. I understand unlimited specialty dining for haven passengers ended shortly thereafter. Others here may know of the exact year.

UDP (unlimited number) became 4SDP (4 uses) around 2015ish. We sailed in 2016 and we had UDP, some had 4SDP, and some had 3SDP after NCL reduced from 4 to 3 within a few months after dropping from unlimited to 4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2024 at 12:19 PM, jcathers1 said:

Thanks. I had totally forgotten about getting free lunch at Margaritaville on embarkation day. Another perk lost to time...

Actually, it's now free for everyone.  So, everyone gets the perk, now.

25 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Actually, it's now free for everyone.  So, everyone gets the perk, now.

Everyone may get the perk, but the menu has been seriously downgraded. Perhaps you don't/didn't value the offering, but there are those of us that did. It will impact any future embarkation lunch for my husband and I - we missed it on Pr1ma, since there's no American Diner. Just another (of several I've mentioned) reason I refuse to book a cruise for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrownEyedGirl686 said:

I believe it was the American diner was free

tonhaven guests on embarkation day May 2023

American Diner just changed to a complimentary restaurant on our January  Encore cruise.  We read here that all of the other American Diners would be changing too.  

That first embarkation day lunch, we were there as they attempted to seat Haven guests first.....and then let in everyone else.  We had read about the new changes and simpler menu here on CC, but many cruisers were somewhat surprised.     So, the only 'benefit' for Haven cruisers on that day was they were seated before the other cruisers.

4 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

American Diner just changed to a complimentary restaurant on our January  Encore cruise.  We read here that all of the other American Diners would be changing too.  

That first embarkation day lunch, we were there as they attempted to seat Haven guests first.....and then let in everyone else.  We had read about the new changes and simpler menu here on CC, but many cruisers were somewhat surprised.     So, the only 'benefit' for Haven cruisers on that day was they were seated before the other cruisers.

yea like I said - ours was this time last year so I’m sure a lot has changed.  
I wonder what other restaurant if any will be offered.   

1 hour ago, BrownEyedGirl686 said:

yea like I said - ours was this time last year so I’m sure a lot has changed.  
I wonder what other restaurant if any will be offered.   

We haven't heard of any other substitute lunch for Haven guests at embarkation and I have tried to follow every thread with Haven news.   

I guess they could try and open another specialty at lunch time but it seems like they are content to let the Haven restaurant handle the first day surge🤔  Definitely extra pressure for the staff that first day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only ate at the American Diner because it was free for Haven guests, but only on embarkation day.  I think I did that twice.

Was it good?  Yeah....similar to Johnny Rockets on Royal.  Typical fare, too....burgers, fries, nachos, etc.

Would I go out of my way to dine there, again.  Nope.

22 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

UDP (unlimited number) became 4SDP (4 uses) around 2015ish. We sailed in 2016 and we had UDP, some had 4SDP, and some had 3SDP after NCL reduced from 4 to 3 within a few months after dropping from unlimited to 4.

Those deals were better than anything offered as part of the "welcome back to cruising" push. We also got free air (not BOGO) for FOUR of us on our late 2015 sailing of Escape.

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I only ate at the American Diner because it was free for Haven guests, but only on embarkation day.  I think I did that twice.

Was it good?  Yeah....similar to Johnny Rockets on Royal.  Typical fare, too....burgers, fries, nachos, etc.

Would I go out of my way to dine there, again.  Nope.

We did it once on Breakaway.  We would not do it again even if it was free.

• Like 1

This is the menu for American Diner......at least the last one I saw....no prices (except for shakes) so they had already made it part of the free dining options....

SHAKE THINGS UP
HOUSEMADE MILKSHAKES $7
Chocolate, Vanilla, Banana, Strawberry, or Our Flavor of the Day

APPETIZERS
SMOKED FISH DIP
Cream Cheese, Tabasco, Worcestershire Sauce, Paprika,
Pickled Vegetables, Corn Tortilla Chips
CHEESE NACHOS
Corn Tortilla Chips, Jalapeños, Pico de Gallo, Cheddar Cheese Sauce
WHITE BEAN CHICKEN CHILI
Shredded Chicken, Navy Beans, Green Chilies, Cumin, Cilantro, Lime
CAESAR SALAD
Romaine Lettuce, Parmesan Cheese, Croutons, Anchovies
GRECIAN SALAD
Romaine Lettuce, Tomato, Feta Cheese, Cucumber, Red Onion,
Olives, Oregano Dressing

HAND HELDS
SERVED WITH A SIDE SALAD OR FRENCH FRIES
PULLED PORK SLIDERS
Tangy Coleslaw, Sweet Hawaiian Rolls
CHICKEN SALAD SANDWICH
Diced Grilled Chicken, Dijon-Herb Mayonnaise, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato,
Multigrain Bread
TAVERN-BATTERED FISH SANDWICH
Battered Cod, Tartar Sauce, Tangy Coleslaw, Sesame Seed Bun
CHEESEBURGER*
American Cheese, Shredded Lettuce, Tomato, Red Onion,
Sesame Seed Bun
THE WRANGLER BURGER*
Cheddar Cheese, Sautéed Onions, Bacon, BBQ Sauce, Jalapeño,
Sesame Seed Bun

SPECIALTIES
SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS
Homemade Italian Meatballs, Pomodoro Sauce, Parmesan Cheese,
Fresh Basil
CHICKEN “POT PIE” CASSEROLE
Creamy Chicken and Vegetables, Biscuits
LECHÓN ASADO
Cuban Roast Pork, Plantains, White Rice, Black Beans
HOMEMADE MEATLOAF
Roasted Corn, Mashed Potato, BBQ Sauce

DESSERTS
BREAD PUDDING
Caramel Whiskey Sauce
CARROT AND WALNUT CAKE
Cream Cheese Icing
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
Strawberry Coulis, Graham Crumble

Your check may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries. A 20% gratuity, beverage and specialty service charge will be added to your check. If you
have any type of food allergy, please advise your server before ordering.

*These items are served raw or undercooked, or contain (or may contain) raw or undercooked ingredients. Consuming raw or undercooked meats, seafood,
shellfish, eggs, milk or poultry may increase your risk of food borne illness,especially if you have certain medical conditions.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

This is the menu for American Diner......at least the last one I saw....no prices (except for shakes) so they had already made it part of the free dining options....

SHAKE THINGS UP
HOUSEMADE MILKSHAKES $7
Chocolate, Vanilla, Banana, Strawberry, or Our Flavor of the Day

APPETIZERS
SMOKED FISH DIP
Cream Cheese, Tabasco, Worcestershire Sauce, Paprika,
Pickled Vegetables, Corn Tortilla Chips
CHEESE NACHOS
Corn Tortilla Chips, Jalapeños, Pico de Gallo, Cheddar Cheese Sauce
WHITE BEAN CHICKEN CHILI
Shredded Chicken, Navy Beans, Green Chilies, Cumin, Cilantro, Lime
CAESAR SALAD
Romaine Lettuce, Parmesan Cheese, Croutons, Anchovies
GRECIAN SALAD
Romaine Lettuce, Tomato, Feta Cheese, Cucumber, Red Onion,
Olives, Oregano Dressing

HAND HELDS
SERVED WITH A SIDE SALAD OR FRENCH FRIES
PULLED PORK SLIDERS
Tangy Coleslaw, Sweet Hawaiian Rolls
CHICKEN SALAD SANDWICH
Diced Grilled Chicken, Dijon-Herb Mayonnaise, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato,
Multigrain Bread
TAVERN-BATTERED FISH SANDWICH
Battered Cod, Tartar Sauce, Tangy Coleslaw, Sesame Seed Bun
CHEESEBURGER*
American Cheese, Shredded Lettuce, Tomato, Red Onion,
Sesame Seed Bun
THE WRANGLER BURGER*
Cheddar Cheese, Sautéed Onions, Bacon, BBQ Sauce, Jalapeño,
Sesame Seed Bun

SPECIALTIES
SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS
Homemade Italian Meatballs, Pomodoro Sauce, Parmesan Cheese,
Fresh Basil
CHICKEN “POT PIE” CASSEROLE
Creamy Chicken and Vegetables, Biscuits
LECHÓN ASADO
Cuban Roast Pork, Plantains, White Rice, Black Beans
HOMEMADE MEATLOAF
Roasted Corn, Mashed Potato, BBQ Sauce

DESSERTS
BREAD PUDDING
Caramel Whiskey Sauce
CARROT AND WALNUT CAKE
Cream Cheese Icing
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
Strawberry Coulis, Graham Crumble

Your check may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries. A 20% gratuity, beverage and specialty service charge will be added to your check. If you
have any type of food allergy, please advise your server before ordering.

*These items are served raw or undercooked, or contain (or may contain) raw or undercooked ingredients. Consuming raw or undercooked meats, seafood,
shellfish, eggs, milk or poultry may increase your risk of food borne illness,especially if you have certain medical conditions.

Yep, that's the new and enhanced (but not improved) one. Other than the milkshake and Lechon Asado, there's not a thing I would eat. Well, maybe the carrot cake too. 

As a "critic" - that latest AD menu read to me almost like the newly re-constituted, hybrid, old & original O'Sheehan's full menu from 4 to 5 years ago ... the smoked fish dip and white bean chicken chili is "new".  Pound cake/apple pie with ice cream isn't there.  Milk shakes came in a highball glass and not in a tall fountain glass, and for that price, nope ... I'll pass.  

We ate at the 'new' American Diner a couple of times.   

If you look at it as an open-air version of The Local/O'Sheehan's, its enjoyable for lunch on a warm weather cruise.  Greek Salad, Pulled Pork Sliders and a Chicken Salad sandwich or Burger.  Carrot Cake or Bread Putting with Carmel Whiskey sauce and we were satisfied.  

And, the Milkshakes (for $7) were still good😋

• Like 1