TxTeach79's LIVE Venezia Summer 10 Day from NYC 5/27

Thanks to everyone who's following along! It really does mean a lot, this time more than usual.

For those of you not over on The Tribe forum, I'll keep this very short here because it's not what I want to dwell on on the LIVE, but my dad passed away yesterday. My mom and I are very close and we've gotten a ton done in the whirlwind last 24 hours, and i've been sternly informed that my dad, who grew up on a caribbean island, loved the sea, and introduced me to cruising back in '88 on the OG Celebration, would haunt me for all eternity if I canceled this trip. 

SO... ahem.... I'm keeping this as fun and positive and summer vibetastic as possible, even if I'm sure I might go in a different direction than you're used to occasionally. You never know how the drink package is gonna hit. 

But yeah. Thank y'all a ton for sailing along with me 🙂

• Like 100

7 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

You never know how the drink package is gonna hit. 

Five or six different espresso martinis are available at one of the bars.  Good way to break in Cheers.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Five or six different espresso martinis are available at one of the bars.  Good way to break in Cheers.

@HelloItsMeB did you hear this?? Of all the cruises you picked to skip….

• Haha 19

Speaking of, I always like to toss a little bit here and a little bit there into cruise cash in the months leading up to my cruise. It’s like a surprise bonus waiting for me when I get on board. This time, I actually added $75 to the previously uncharted “BAR CASH” tab since I’ll have to deal with the first day NY no Cheers thing (I’m a Galveston guy, sadly I get it) and GSC. You try something new every day. 

IMG_9664.thumb.png.74b97b7ad8cf34e3b35cbc242be259f0.png

• Like 15

Paul I am so sorry to hear about your father, I believe he did a great job raising you from what we have read. We really enjoy your reviews and your humor. I know he would want you to continue on with your plans. I hope you can enjoy yourself and raise a glass or two of Buffalo Trace and Pepsi to him on this journey. Prayers to you and your family.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, scottasp said:

Paul I am so sorry to hear about your father, I believe he did a great job raising you from what we have read. We really enjoy your reviews and your humor. I know he would want you to continue on with your plans. I hope you can enjoy yourself and raise a glass or two of Buffalo Trace and Pepsi to him on this journey. Prayers to you and your family.

This is so so nice. Really appreciate it, especially today. And you can absolutely bank on it. 🦬 

• Like 8

Very sorry for your loss. My dad died unexpectedly on 12/26. I was booked on 1/6 Venezia. We had wake, mass and burial 1/2-1/3. I am a widow and cruise solo. I really didn’t want to go on that cruise but I did knowing my dad would want me to. It was best thing I could have done. 

• Like 25

7 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Very sorry for your loss. My dad died unexpectedly on 12/26. I was booked on 1/6 Venezia. We had wake, mass and burial 1/2-1/3. I am a widow and cruise solo. I really didn’t want to go on that cruise but I did knowing my dad would want me to. It was best thing I could have done. 

So sorry for your loss and thanks so much for sharing. That makes me feel nice and optimistic knowing that. 

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

So sorry for your loss and thanks so much for sharing. That makes me feel nice and optimistic knowing that. 

The sunrises, the sunsets, the vast ocean that the sky met on the horizon brought me a lot of peace. 🌟

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

So sorry to hear of your father's passing.  My mom passed away last year on 5/3.  We had her services on 5/11, with a previously scheduled cruise leaving 5/14 (no plans for her to attend - but coincidentally that was her birthday...).  

I tend to be the one who joins the sailing groups on the "other" social media platform.  While on the cruise, I realized there was someone in the group and on our sailing with the same name as my mom!  It was such a surreal experience.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but thought I'd share.  I had some guilt going on a cruise right after my mother's passing, but it helped me feel like my mom was letting me know it was okay to enjoy myself. 

• Like 12

I'm so sorry for your loss. I am sure you are torn but also feeling like this is what your dad would have wanted! Thank you for sharing. Life can change in an instant. 🙏

My husband's brother passed away unexpectedly at a young age about 10 days before our cruise last December. He was a big cruiser too! We went back and forth and decided to go because that's what he would have wanted. We did enjoy it and we got to relax after a whirlwind of flying to the funeral which was out of state and then to Florida for the cruise 4 days later. We are glad we went!

I hope you enjoy your cruise. I will be following.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

Sorry for your loss  Jenna’s mum. My Jim passed and I cruise solo now. Cruised Venezia 8 days June ‘23, 8 days Jan ‘24, 11 days March ‘24 and 11 days 5/6-5/17. Will be on her again may, ‘25! And will follow you on yours! 👏

Thank you so much!! Haven't cruised solo yet but definitely not opposed to it! 

• Like 2

Hello TxTeach79!

One of my all time Favorite "Live" Reviewers!  I wish HelloItsMeB was on the cruise with you for the down time when the sad thoughts come along but you have the CC Family here waiting if you need to share. I know you'll get through this one. A little different tone perhaps but you can't help being you... cracking us up or making us shed a tear. We all really appreciate you taking us along!!! 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TxTeach79 said:

Thanks to everyone who's following along! It really does mean a lot, this time more than usual.

For those of you not over on The Tribe forum, I'll keep this very short here because it's not what I want to dwell on on the LIVE, but my dad passed away yesterday. My mom and I are very close and we've gotten a ton done in the whirlwind last 24 hours, and i've been sternly informed that my dad, who grew up on a caribbean island, loved the sea, and introduced me to cruising back in '88 on the OG Celebration, would haunt me for all eternity if I canceled this trip. 

SO... ahem.... I'm keeping this as fun and positive and summer vibetastic as possible, even if I'm sure I might go in a different direction than you're used to occasionally. You never know how the drink package is gonna hit. 

So sorry for your loss. 

• Thanks 1

Excited to follow along. Excited for the end of the school year (we have graduation tomorrow and a half day Friday plus another week I’m on contract). Ready for my own cruise in 17 days. I hope your year ended on a positive note or will. 

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Nothing easy about dealing with any of it. 

• Thanks 1

Hell yeah, PartyPants is back!! Your reviews are always a great escape and such a vibe as the kids say. 

Very sorry to hear about your dad. When I was on Venezia last year, I found out my grandma was dying and she passed the day we got back to NYC. It was so difficult, but grandma loved her drinks and the ocean, so I honored her that way. I completely empathize with conflicted emotions.

Anyyyyyyyyyywayyyyyyyyyyyysssssssss...Amari bar is amazing, but if that's too crowded, head over to Frizzante. It was rarely crowded and the bartenders were also trained alchemists (I think). On sea days there was a secret Chinese buffet on deck 10 aft outside (I think at the seafood shack). There is a free sauna and plunge hot tub in the gym/spa area. It's hidden behind like 15 doors, but it's there and has great views out to the ocean. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

So sorry to hear of your father's passing.  My mom passed away last year on 5/3.  We had her services on 5/11, with a previously scheduled cruise leaving 5/14 (no plans for her to attend - but coincidentally that was her birthday...).  

I tend to be the one who joins the sailing groups on the "other" social media platform.  While on the cruise, I realized there was someone in the group and on our sailing with the same name as my mom!  It was such a surreal experience.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but thought I'd share.  I had some guilt going on a cruise right after my mother's passing, but it helped me feel like my mom was letting me know it was okay to enjoy myself. 

thanks for sharing, Steph. That’s an amazing story. And I hope I’m lucky enough to have that same feeling in the end. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

Hell yeah, PartyPants is back!! Your reviews are always a great escape and such a vibe as the kids say. 

Very sorry to hear about your dad. When I was on Venezia last year, I found out my grandma was dying and she passed the day we got back to NYC. It was so difficult, but grandma loved her drinks and the ocean, so I honored her that way. I completely empathize with conflicted emotions.

Anyyyyyyyyyywayyyyyyyyyyyysssssssss...Amari bar is amazing, but if that's too crowded, head over to Frizzante. It was rarely crowded and the bartenders were also trained alchemists (I think). On sea days there was a secret Chinese buffet on deck 10 aft outside (I think at the seafood shack). There is a free sauna and plunge hot tub in the gym/spa area. It's hidden behind like 15 doors, but it's there and has great views out to the ocean. 

Great info, thank you!! And I always loving finding the @Jamman54 memorial hidden Chinese lunch buffet station

• Haha 11

Booking an Uber in advance from LGA - MVille seems insane, even for NYC on a holiday weekend. Either a cab is in play, or I’ll check Lyft and Uber when I land. 

IMG_9591.thumb.png.5d323797a27e94492b24e53d08e573e2.png

IMG_9593.thumb.png.9630e4946f13060d892370d1662b5046.png

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

Booking an Uber in advance from LGA - MVille seems insane, even for NYC on a holiday weekend. Either a cab is in play, or I’ll check Lyft and Uber when I land. 

IMG_9591.thumb.png.5d323797a27e94492b24e53d08e573e2.png

IMG_9593.thumb.png.9630e4946f13060d892370d1662b5046.png

Depending on how adventurous your want to be and how much luggage you have, there’s a free shuttle from LGA to the subway and you could take that in. 

When I’ve ubered/lyfted from LGA to Manhattan it’s usually been about $50-70

• Like 6

For $100 I will leave work midday to come pick you up and take you to Margaritaville. That rate is insane. Just use a cab (make sure they turn the meter on) or take the M60 bus to the N train which will take you to Times Square. The second option is under $3 and there are elevators at both train stops you'd be using. You can use your phone to tap into public transportation in NYC now which makes it 100x easier for everyone. 

So sorry to hear about your dad passing away. You've mentioned him quite a few times in your reports about his love of diving and your trips to Cozumel which I always found so interesting. 

If you haven't left yet and have a reusable drink cup from ANY Margaritaville resort in the world they will refill it at the Times Square location. In April, I was in Grand Turk and they hadn't gotten in a shipment of refillable items in since December and I was the only person smart enough to pack my refillable clock from about 10 years ago. I got into a conversation with the woman at the bar about them and she confirmed that they will refill any of their reusable cups at any Margaritaville location. #lifehack?

• Like 12

2 hours ago, x lindsay x said:

For $100 I will leave work midday to come pick you up and take you to Margaritaville. That rate is insane. Just use a cab (make sure they turn the meter on) or take the M60 bus to the N train which will take you to Times Square. The second option is under $3 and there are elevators at both train stops you'd be using. You can use your phone to tap into public transportation in NYC now which makes it 100x easier for everyone. 

So sorry to hear about your dad passing away. You've mentioned him quite a few times in your reports about his love of diving and your trips to Cozumel which I always found so interesting. 

If you haven't left yet and have a reusable drink cup from ANY Margaritaville resort in the world they will refill it at the Times Square location. In April, I was in Grand Turk and they hadn't gotten in a shipment of refillable items in since December and I was the only person smart enough to pack my refillable clock from about 10 years ago. I got into a conversation with the woman at the bar about them and she confirmed that they will refill any of their reusable cups at any Margaritaville location. #lifehack?

whoa! That’s awesome to know - thanks!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, natefish95 said:

Depending on how adventurous your want to be and how much luggage you have, there’s a free shuttle from LGA to the subway and you could take that in. 

When I’ve ubered/lyfted from LGA to Manhattan it’s usually been about $50-70

Yeah, that’s exactly the rate I’m used to. If I get something in that zone, I’ll jump on it. Otherwise I’ll probably just get in the cab line and kick it old school 

• Like 4