Say It Isn't So . . . .

On 5/23/2024 at 1:22 AM, pinotlover said:

The sum of the segments can now be less than the credits awarded, but not more. If you now book a 10 day + 10 day cruise = 20 days = 1 extended journeys = 1 cruise credit. Been this way for awhile. However, if you now book a 20 day segment + 17 day segment = 37 days or oops, no longer. Now just separate back to backs and 2 cruise credits. You don’t get the 3 credits as in the past.

Thanks for the heads up.

Your posting made me check my combination cruise booking.

1 booking, 1 invoice, 2 cruise IDs, total voyage length between 35 - 44 days as shown on the invoice.

I had assumed, incorrectly as it turned out, that this booking would gain 3 credits.

Nope; as each individual segment is less than 25 days so the booking gains only 2 credits.

Counting nights is better than counting cruises.  We tend to take longer cruises.  We got one credit on a “grand voyage”. It was listed in brochure as one cruise. It actually was a b2b. We met people on same trip that had purposely booked as 2 separate cruises. They had 2 different booking numbers. They got 2 credits.  
Many years ago, Celebrity cruises Captains Club counted number of cruises.  To reach top level elite, you needed 10 cruises. Met people who took 3 night cruise to increase their status.  Celebrity switched to number of nights plus extra for booking expensive suites.  They also introduced more loyalty categories. 
My view of loyalty programs is that it’s ok. Receiving some perks for loyalty is good. Whatever you get is good.  

18 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Counting nights is better than counting cruises.  We tend to take longer cruises.  We got one credit on a “grand voyage”. It was listed in brochure as one cruise. It actually was a b2b. We met people on same trip that had purposely booked as 2 separate cruises. They had 2 different booking numbers. They got 2 credits.   

….And they got double the O Club perks!

However, your Extended Journey (historically correct terminology whereas Grand Voyage was historically 3+ segments exceeding 50 days) fare discount would’ve been worth significantly more in cash savings in your pocket than going the two booking route. Of course, if that cruise was booked within the last few years, you also would’ve been able to opt for booking it as a “custom cruise” where you get the double O Club perks , the cruise credits figured per segment and a 5% fare discount.

The bottom line take away regarding any multisegment booking arrangement is to know/understand the O jargon and rules and then do the math (quantitative and qualitative) to figure out which booking scenario works best for you.

BTW: if your TA didn’t explain this to you, I suggest that you find a new TA.

4 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Your posting made me check my combination cruise booking.

1 booking, 1 invoice, 2 cruise IDs, total voyage length between 35 - 44 days as shown on the invoice.

I had assumed, incorrectly as it turned out, that this booking would gain 3 credits.

Nope; as each individual segment is less than 25 days so the booking gains only 2 credits.

The bottom line of which way to book remains doing ALL the quantitative math and qualitative analysis. We recently completed a 37 day multisegment - booked as an Extended Journey (published and with single booking number). Fortunately (though somewhat unusual), the fare discount was significant enough to cover the $ value loss of no extra O Club Platinum perks (had I done a Custom Cruise booking with only 5% fare discount) and I got the expected 3 cruise credits instead of 2. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

People have to understand, they don’t always get to choose in these matters. As FF has frequently posted in the past, Oceania has often taken booked b2b and converted them to an Extended Voyage which typically resulted in fewer cruise credits. For several years there was an array of combinations of segments making b2b even difficult to find. That has now changed when it’s in Oceania’s best interest. The decision on whether a cruise is an Extended Voyage, a Grand Voyage, two Extended Voyages b2b, or multiple b2b lies solely with Oceania. One can have their TA attempt to affect that decision, but in the end, O decides.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

People have to understand, they don’t always get to choose in these matters. As FF has frequently posted in the past, Oceania has often taken booked b2b and converted them to an Extended Voyage which typically resulted in fewer cruise credits. For several years there was an array of combinations of segments making b2b even difficult to find. That has now changed when it’s in Oceania’s best interest. The decision on whether a cruise is an Extended Voyage, a Grand Voyage, two Extended Voyages b2b, or multiple b2b lies solely with Oceania. One can have their TA attempt to affect that decision, but in the end, O decides.

I agree but would add one huge clarifying factor:

As regards “O decides,” it’s also WHO at O is making that decision. Sometimes when I or my TA (or even an OCA onboard) “bird dogs” some “open to interpretation” booking/perks policy/practice problem/decision, the simple act of asking for confirmation from the “right” higher placed O manager works wonders (as does tactfully/politely not taking the first NO for an answer). 
It’s often not unlike Captain Jack Sparrow’s Pirate Code where the “rules” are more like a “set of guidelines.”

20 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

….And they got double the O Club perks!

However, your Extended Journey (historically correct terminology whereas Grand Voyage was historically 3+ segments exceeding 50 days) fare discount would’ve been worth significantly more in cash savings in your pocket than going the two booking route. Of course, if that cruise was booked within the last few years, you also would’ve been able to opt for booking it as a “custom cruise” where you get the double O Club perks , the cruise credits figured per segment and a 5% fare discount.

The bottom line take away regarding any multisegment booking arrangement is to know/understand the O jargon and rules and then do the math (quantitative and qualitative) to figure out which booking scenario works best for you.

BTW: if your TA didn’t explain this to you, I suggest that you find a new TA.

It was before pandemic. It was 2 longer cruises sold as one. We never knew that it was b2b until we were onboard. It was our 2nd O cruise.  The only weird thing that might have been an indicator was when it came time to book the specialty restaurants, I could only book dates in 1st cruise. That wasn’t really a problem. Once onboard, I asked if I could get additional reservations. The concierge said that reservations would be available when next cruise started. That didn’t make sense.  
only got one credit for the cruise.

I think this might have got a little off track, but I think it's the right thread. For those of you who don't keep up with some other lines. RCG just announced that in the last couple of days that Silversea is now reciprocal with Celebrity & Royal for their loyalty clubs. So, I guess it wouldn't be a big jump for the 3 NCLH brands to do the same. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now maybe we can understand why there was a recent survey sent to Oceania Shareholders about Loyalty Programs. I do not know the details of the three programs without researching but if we could cherry pick Amenities from the programs, it might be beneficial. Many of the Amenities have been devalued significantly due to price increases for on board services, SBC amounts, and other benefits. If the Amenity offered is considered insignificant by the customer, the Loyalty Program has lost credibility with its guests. 
I guess we will see some time down the road if NCLH follows RCCL. 

Mauibabes

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean just did it, making Celebrity and Silversea into one Loyalty program.  So is it just a matter of time for NCL to do the same thing---making it a nice solid Loyalty program for its cruisers.  I agree with others, I like to change it up no and then,  maybe a little "O"👍 with a little Regent👍.  I know that would keep me away from Silversea (last 2 cruises on Silversea🛳️ in a nice larger suite).  Hope they think this through and do the right thing and combine the programs.

16 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Royal Caribbean just did it, making Celebrity and Silversea into one Loyalty program.  So is it just a matter of time for NCL to do the same thing---making it a nice solid Loyalty program for its cruisers.  I agree with others, I like to change it up no and then,  maybe a little "O"👍 with a little Regent👍.  I know that would keep me away from Silversea (last 2 cruises on Silversea🛳️ in a nice larger suite).  Hope they think this through and do the right thing and combine the programs.

Not exactly combined.  They implemented reciprocity with some restrictions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Not exactly combined.  They implemented reciprocity with some restrictions.

Well that is better than nothing.  Thanks for the correction - I was listing to a well informed blogger on U Tube.

• Like 1