Azamara. Dishonesty, incompetence and indifference.

DavyWavey70

So 2 months ago I booked a 3 week tour of South Africa that included a 12 night Azamara cruise through a very well reputed UK tour operator. I Was so excited to finally try Azamara.  Ever since I booked I have been trying to book my excursions and upgrade my included package to no avail. Firstly it took 2 weeks to see my booking at all, this took several phone calls. It was loaded incorrectly. A Week after it finally showed up, Azamara showed that my booking was cancelled. I Called them several times and they confirmed that the booking was cancelled but they couldn’t tell me how or why. Eventually the tour operator managed to get the booking re-instated. It was reinstated incorrectly with my basic package loaded but with none of the extras included such as the 3 table tour. Several phone calls later they finally loaded the 3 table tour to the booking but at the same time dropped the entire essentials package. I’ve called several times since trying to upgrade my package only to be told that I’ll just have to sort it once onboard. The representative has claimed several times that they have had no communication whatsoever from the operator to confirm what should be included despite the operator confirming 5 separate conversations with them. I Have now wasted dozens of hours of my life trying to make the most basic arrangements for my special trip to be met with nothing other than indifference and incompetence. Azamara reps have consistently put the blame onto my tour operator which I know is absolutely untrue. Their IT systems seem to pre-date the times of Marty McFly, their honesty is extremely fluid, their competence is beyond questionable and their ability to deliver would be easily outdone by a paraplegic sloth. What on earth have I let myself in for? 

I concur and sympathise.

We have reached Discoverer Plus level, and although there have been a number of bumps along the road, things really weren't too bad until the IT changeover fiasco.

I recently booked a short cruise with Azamara, due to start in mid August, out of Civitavecchia.

At the time of booking, I was delighted to see that a free transfer was available from Rome Fiumicino airport to the port. This is ideal for us, because we live in Italy, and Fiumicino is about three hours drive for us. We can fly back into Fiumicino.

I booked excursions for this cruise whilst onboard Journey a month or so ago. Unfortunately no-one onboard seemed able to provide me with details of the transfer and I was advised to contact my TA so that they might find out more details.

My TA was eventually told about 10 days ago that we should arrive at Fiumicino airport on the morning of embarkation and find Azamara agents for the transfer service. 

I made final payment for the cruise a fortnight or so ago, and on 13 May received the Final invoice from Azamara showing that no money was due. The transfer is listed as included without a price.

The day before yesterday I booked hotels, flight, and parking using Fiumicino as our start and return point.

Yesterday evening my TA advised me that because I have not used Azamara for our flights, Azamara want £176 (£88 each) for the transfers!

When I booked the transfer the fact that we are 'Air Independent' is clearly shown against this booking.

Had there been a price associated with the transfer, it is very likely that I would have made alternative arrangements for our hotels and parking. Indeed, we may have even changed our flight route.

Interestingly, there was a price listed for the transfer from the ship to Barcelona Airport, but this was not of use to us because we will be staying in Barcelona for a day or two. 

I am astonished that Azamara have the temerity - nay! the barefaced gall - to try to ask for payment for something shown without a price on the invoice for Final payment.

Of course, I have asked my TA to vigorously dispute this.

4 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

So 2 months ago I booked a 3 week tour of South Africa that included a 12 night Azamara cruise through a very well reputed UK tour operator. I Was so excited to finally try Azamara.  Ever since I booked I have been trying to book my excursions and upgrade my included package to no avail. Firstly it took 2 weeks to see my booking at all, this took several phone calls. It was loaded incorrectly. A Week after it finally showed up, Azamara showed that my booking was cancelled. I Called them several times and they confirmed that the booking was cancelled but they couldn’t tell me how or why. Eventually the tour operator managed to get the booking re-instated. It was reinstated incorrectly with my basic package loaded but with none of the extras included such as the 3 table tour. Several phone calls later they finally loaded the 3 table tour to the booking but at the same time dropped the entire essentials package. I’ve called several times since trying to upgrade my package only to be told that I’ll just have to sort it once onboard. The representative has claimed several times that they have had no communication whatsoever from the operator to confirm what should be included despite the operator confirming 5 separate conversations with them. I Have now wasted dozens of hours of my life trying to make the most basic arrangements for my special trip to be met with nothing other than indifference and incompetence. Azamara reps have consistently put the blame onto my tour operator which I know is absolutely untrue. Their IT systems seem to pre-date the times of Marty McFly, their honesty is extremely fluid, their competence is beyond questionable and their ability to deliver would be easily outdone by a paraplegic sloth. What on earth have I let myself in for? 

You booked a package with a tour operator? Then the tour operator will deal with Azamara. Let them sort out the problems. 

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

In the event you are unsuccessful (we often book our own flights and have never had a free transfer) you probably know that a private transfer from the airport to ship side  Civitavecchia  costs approximately 70 Euros.  In fact this is preferable to waiting around for a coach to fill from incoming and often late flights. 

Edited by Mrs Miggins
  • Like 2

Just now, Mrs Miggins said:

In the event you are unsuccessful (we often book our own flights and have never had a free transfer) you probably know that a private transfer from the airport to ship side costs approximately 70 Euros.  In fact this is preferable to waiting around for a coach to fill from incoming and often late flights.

Nope - €70* from airport to ship seems impossible.

Because of our commitments (based on Azamara's listed, invoiced, free transfer) we will be embarking on a Sunday and I cannot find, anywhere, a transfer at that sort of price.

For us this cruise is just a brief, convenient, low-cost 'filler', and we are endeavouring to keep our expenditure to a minimum. We would not normally consider using the transfer service, and in fact, have never done so, but on this occasion the price was right. 

If you have a contact or resource, for this lower price - please advise.

* is that per person? 

36 minutes ago, tiggertom said:

You booked a package with a tour operator? Then the tour operator will deal with Azamara. Let them sort out the problems. 

They really have been trying. Like I said, we are 2 months in now and I’m still no closer to getting things sorted.

1 hour ago, blag said:

I concur and sympathise.

We have reached Discoverer Plus level, and although there have been a number of bumps along the road, things really weren't too bad until the IT changeover fiasco.

I recently booked a short cruise with Azamara, due to start in mid August, out of Civitavecchia.

At the time of booking, I was delighted to see that a free transfer was available from Rome Fiumicino airport to the port. This is ideal for us, because we live in Italy, and Fiumicino is about three hours drive for us. We can fly back into Fiumicino.

I booked excursions for this cruise whilst onboard Journey a month or so ago. Unfortunately no-one onboard seemed able to provide me with details of the transfer and I was advised to contact my TA so that they might find out more details.

My TA was eventually told about 10 days ago that we should arrive at Fiumicino airport on the morning of embarkation and find Azamara agents for the transfer service. 

I made final payment for the cruise a fortnight or so ago, and on 13 May received the Final invoice from Azamara showing that no money was due. The transfer is listed as included without a price.

The day before yesterday I booked hotels, flight, and parking using Fiumicino as our start and return point.

Yesterday evening my TA advised me that because I have not used Azamara for our flights, Azamara want £176 (£88 each) for the transfers!

When I booked the transfer the fact that we are 'Air Independent' is clearly shown against this booking.

Had there been a price associated with the transfer, it is very likely that I would have made alternative arrangements for our hotels and parking. Indeed, we may have even changed our flight route.

Interestingly, there was a price listed for the transfer from the ship to Barcelona Airport, but this was not of use to us because we will be staying in Barcelona for a day or two. 

I am astonished that Azamara have the temerity - nay! the barefaced gall - to try to ask for payment for something shown without a price on the invoice for Final payment.

Of course, I have asked my TA to vigorously dispute this.

I’m sorry to hear that blag, I hope you get things sorted. The IT system is just horrid. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

They really have been trying. Like I said, we are 2 months in now and I’m still no closer to getting things sorted.

Your travel agent has a business manager at Azamara UK and should be escalating things to them. It will confuse things if you are also calling in as different call centre agents will be doing things to your booking and that’s probably where issues are arising. 
It’s not ideal and there are certainly IT issues which the new CEO fully acknowledges but as it looks like you aren’t sailing for a few months I’d back off Azamara and keep checking in with your travel agent. Under UK agency rules that’s the correct route. 

Edited by uktog
Spelling
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Your tour operator is responsible to get this sorted out. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, uktog said:

Your travel agent has a business manager at Azamara UK and should be escalating things to them. It will confuse things if you are also calling in as different call centre agents will be doing things to your booking and that’s probably where issues are arising. 
It’s not ideal and there are certainly IT issues which the new CEO fully acknowledges but as it looks like you aren’t sailing for a few months I’d back off Azamara and keep checking in with your travel agent. Under UK agency rules that’s the correct route. 

This is clearly a Travel Agent package and will be subject to their terms and condition, obviously we can’t know which agent although I could guess. I know that at least one agent who if any changes are made by the customer to any aspect of the booking the booking is automatically cancelled. Biggest error in this is that the Azamara agent actually talked about the cruise aspect of the booking with the customer, they used to refuse point blank to talk about any TA bookings referring the customer back to their agent, I know it used to annoy people but there was a good reason for it.

I’m sure many on here are aware of my opinion of U.K. travel agents following some of their antics during the pandemic. However I see advertisements almost daily for cruise packages that are clearly holidays packaged by the agency but made to look like a cruise line package.

It’s simple in the U.K. if you book anything with a travel agent then you must only contact them regarding any aspect of that booking as they under U.K. legislation are the ones responsible for that booking.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Riocca said:

This is clearly a Travel Agent package and will be subject to their terms and condition, obviously we can’t know which agent although I could guess. I know that at least one agent who if any changes are made by the customer to any aspect of the booking the booking is automatically cancelled. Biggest error in this is that the Azamara agent actually talked about the cruise aspect of the booking with the customer, they used to refuse point blank to talk about any TA bookings referring the customer back to their agent, I know it used to annoy people but there was a good reason for it.

I’m sure many on here are aware of my opinion of U.K. travel agents following some of their antics during the pandemic. However I see advertisements almost daily for cruise packages that are clearly holidays packaged by the agency but made to look like a cruise line package.

It’s simple in the U.K. if you book anything with a travel agent then you must only contact them regarding any aspect of that booking as they under U.K. legislation are the ones responsible for that booking.

And within the Travel Agency in this case it’s not the operative you deal with but the team that manages the product creation of the “package bundles” you need to escalate to 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blag said:

Nope - €70* from airport to ship seems impossible.

Because of our commitments (based on Azamara's listed, invoiced, free transfer) we will be embarking on a Sunday and I cannot find, anywhere, a transfer at that sort of price.

For us this cruise is just a brief, convenient, low-cost 'filler', and we are endeavouring to keep our expenditure to a minimum. We would not normally consider using the transfer service, and in fact, have never done so, but on this occasion the price was right. 

If you have a contact or resource, for this lower price - please advise.

* is that per person? 

Anything Azamara offers usually has at least a 100% markup to where you can buy it yourself. Instead, take the train from the airport station at FCO to Civitavecchia. Just one change usually across the island platform at Roma Ostiense. €11 each, plus €6 for the rip off transfer bus (which used to be jus €3) to the ship from the train station. Slow but painless journey. Get tickets at www.trenitalia.com. English button top right. For "from" station use "fiumicino aeroporto". Or install the Trenitalia app. Check your active train and which platform information at www.viaggiatreno.it. Hope this helps.

35 minutes ago, CraigV-GB said:

Anything Azamara offers usually has at least a 100% markup to where you can buy it yourself. Instead, take the train from the airport station at FCO to Civitavecchia. Just one change usually across the island platform at Roma Ostiense. €11 each, plus €6 for the rip off transfer bus (which used to be jus €3) to the ship from the train station. Slow but painless journey. Get tickets at www.trenitalia.com. English button top right. For "from" station use "fiumicino aeroporto". Or install the Trenitalia app. Check your active train and which platform information at www.viaggiatreno.it. Hope this helps.

Thankyou for this suggestion, and we have the Carta Freccia.

We are familiar with this alternative, but as seniors (one of whom is not capable of handling luggage) this constitutes too much handling of suitcases and bags. By my count we would need to do this at least three times more than by using the Azamara shuttle, and our experience of the train into Rome is that luggage storage can be difficult. 

Incidentally, on this occasion, I am finding it difficult to procure a private (or shared) transfer for anything like half Azamara's price, despite what you say about Azamara's inflated prices. The closest I have got so far is €149, but I am hoping that Mrs Miggins' is able to give me some more info about the €70 transfer mentioned earlier!

Completely understand. The train works fine if you have just one suitcase each, and as long as you take the stopping train from Rome that pulls into the dead end platform at Civitavecchia then its all on the flat. Faster trains heading north after Civitavecchia use the through platforms, which have pedestrain underpasses with stairs and no lift. They're NOT fun!

When I'd looked around previously for taxi transfers from FCO, the best I'd found was €140.  It looks like you can book an Uber Black for €182 today. Good luck!

@DavyWavey70

Clearly, this is a problem between your TA (tour operator) and Azamara.  I do not think that you have enough evidence to call Azamara DISHONEST and INCOMPETENT.    Best on the info you present, you could at best call them INDIFFERENT.

I am NOT saying that Azamara is not at fault.  This could indeed be a horrible example of Azamara's bad performance, I would agree that Azamara likely has a lot of responsibility to bear for these problems.

I believe that it is always better to book through a TA (as you did), but it has to be a very strong TA that will fight for you when there is a need.  I also believe that you need to get all the details in writing at the moment you book (I print a PDF of the email details I receive, in case the email is HTML and can change).

I  use a [well reputed, strong, with good buying power] US-based TA, and when there have been problems, they have resolved them.

I suspect that your issue will be resolved.  Put pressure on your Tour Operator, I would just tell them "You sold it to me with these details, you go fix it".

I wish I could offer @blag some help, but not familiar with Italian transport options.  You indicated that you have written confirmation that the transfer is included.  If your TA cannot resolve this (they have to, they sold it to you), then  perhaps it's time to contact a Consumer Protection agency.   Azamara or your TA would prefer to pay for your transport (less than 200 Euros?) rather than deal with a complaint.

Good luck to both! 

Please share how you resolved these issues, as these unfortunate things could happen to any of us at any time.   If Azamara is at fault (very likely), they need to get their act together, and Ms Dondra "y'all" Ritzenhaler has a mountain to climb.

I would hand the whole lot over to the agent. It's their job to navigate the pain that is the  Azamara back office. You are probably making it more complicated by getting in the middle of them. I would leave them to it and just keep documentary evidence.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blag said:

Our upcoming trip includes flights and transfers booked through a TA with Azamara. On the booking it also says independent air and included transfers. 

I know the flights are there and ticketed as I have picked my seats. 

My TA queried it with Azamara who had no explanation and said don't worry. SNAFU

5 minutes ago, Catchum said:

Our upcoming trip includes flights and transfers booked through a TA with Azamara. On the booking it also says independent air and included transfers. 

I know the flights are there and ticketed as I have picked my seats. 

My TA queried it with Azamara who had no explanation and said don't worry. SNAFU

It is astonishing that Azamara tolerate this level of incompetence!

My scenario is different because Azamara are asking for an additional payment for an included component after Final payment. No reassurance is forthcoming - yet - from either Azamara or my TAM

This latest round of confusion came because I called Az to upgrade my onboard package which can’t be done via my agent. I Wanted to upgrade from the Experience more essentials package to experience more for solo travellers. It was then that I was informed that the package that had been there the week before was no longer there so I couldn’t upgrade, just pay the full price of the package. One agent in particular had been dishonest with me so I stand by what I said. What a very, very poor first impression of a company. I’m left regretting that I ever booked it. 

As far as a good priced transfer, I have used Shared Shuttle in Rome and they are very reasonable, use nice vans and provided good service. Their best prices are if you share with others, but they also offer private transfers. You might want to check them out. https://sharedshuttle.it/Transfer/67/Civitavecchia-Cruise-Port-Fiumicino-Airport

I have sailed on Azamara since 2008 and have never known Azamara to include a transfer unless you also got your air through Azamara. Also, I have never seen any Azamara provided deal that included a 3 table tour. I live in the US, so there could be a difference there. But, it sounds to me like the tour operator may have assembled its own package. I would definitely rely on the tour operator to clear this up. IF the tour operator put a package together, offering amenities that they  put together with an Azamara cruise, then you will only get frustrated trying to resolve this with Azamara as they won't know what you are talking about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, avw said:

I have sailed on Azamara since 2008 and have never known Azamara to include a transfer unless you also got your air through Azamara. Also, I have never seen any Azamara provided deal that included a 3 table tour. I live in the US, so there could be a difference there. But, it sounds to me like the tour operator may have assembled its own packag

This was not arranged by my TA/Tour Operator. It was an option offered by Azamara in their version of the Seaware app. Transfer from Fiumicino was offered by Azamara at a cost of zero; transfer to Barcelona airport had a price, but was irrelevant because we are staying for a day or two after the cruise.

This zero cost was probably a glitch, but never, in all our cruises with our Azamara, have we used their transfer service, so I had no frame of reference!

Thank you for the link for the Shared Shuttle service. I'll give them a try. 

I am still waiting for @Mrs Miggins to come up with info about her €70 transfer! 

7 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

This latest round of confusion came because I called Az to upgrade my onboard package which can’t be done via my agent. I Wanted to upgrade from the Experience more essentials package to experience more for solo travellers. It was then that I was informed that the package that had been there the week before was no longer there so I couldn’t upgrade, just pay the full price of the package. One agent in particular had been dishonest with me so I stand by what I said. What a very, very poor first impression of a company. I’m left regretting that I ever booked it. 

Did you have an invoice setting out what you had paid for, or take a screen shot showing it as an add-on in your account?

I have upgraded my package via my agent no problem. What was your agents reason for declining to do it?

Im not defending the agent who has upset you but people make mistakes- they and the company are not dishonest they just make mistakes. 
I hope you can put this issue behind you - it will get resolved- before you board otherwise you’re going to not enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, avw said:

I checked them out. Looks good, realistic price, and the time of departure suits us.

Just two questions occur to me... 

1: the provider's blurb states there will be a meet-and-greet, but how far is the vehicle from the meeting point? 

2: what is the maximum number of passengers in the vehicle? 

1 hour ago, blag said:

I checked them out. Looks good, realistic price, and the time of departure suits us.

Just two questions occur to me... 

1: the provider's blurb states there will be a meet-and-greet, but how far is the vehicle from the meeting point? 

2: what is the maximum number of passengers in the vehicle? 

If shared is a concern, because it often can be, then try Stefano Rome Cabs. We have used them each and every time and they won't disappoint. From the port to the car is quite close. 

• Like 2