Policy change gratuities

Omg, which is it?  Are they pooled or not?  I have no patience for this sort of thing.  I’m inclined to hand directly and if they get pooled the individual will benefit and at least knows you’ve recognized them.  That being said, I’ve got to assume an established, documented, fleet wide policy makes sense.  But, what do I know? 

35 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Omg, which is it?  Are they pooled or not?  I have no patience for this sort of thing.  I’m inclined to hand directly and if they get pooled the individual will benefit and at least knows you’ve recognized them.  That being said, I’ve got to assume an established, documented, fleet wide policy makes sense.  But, what do I know? 

We always give direct to those who give us great service!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

Last week on Edge we filled in a form with crew names and position. When I turned it in to guest relations, the rep had me verify the picture of each person while she wrote down their ID number.

She said the amount would go on the salary card.

One of the individuals confirmed she will get the $ as long as the ID number is used.

On Ascent, I wanted to use  unused OBC to give to selected staff. I was given the form at Guest Services and brought the form to the employees I wanted to tip.  They each filled out a line with their name, employee number and then signed.  No problem.  All were very appreciative.  Money. was deducted from the OBC account.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IsanTom said:

We always give direct to those who give us great service!

As you should. And whatever happens after that (pooling or not) should be of no concern as it is out of your control. 

• Like 1

Just bring what you are willing to spend on tips in cash and hand it to them. It literally varies for us. Good service gets good tips. That is the way it is supposed to work. 

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

As you should. And whatever happens after that (pooling or not) should be of no concern as it is out of your control. 

How did you enjoy the Yacht Club on MSC Meraviglia? We enjoyed a week on her back in October 2021 and we had a great time. Great Service in the Yacht Club!

29 minutes ago, IsanTom said:

How did you enjoy the Yacht Club on MSC Meraviglia? We enjoyed a week on her back in October 2021 and we had a great time. Great Service in the Yacht Club!

Loved it. MSC really has it figured out with Yacht Club. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, markeb said:

Curious who you were trying to tip individually? Dining room, housekeeping, bartender?

That kind of matches what we were told on our last cruise. An additional gratuity to our stateroom attendant supposedly went to him (no one else in the pool). Same for the butler. We couldn't tip to the individual in Luminae; they split all the tips (which makes sense). The breakdown that gets posted periodically includes a $2 "other hotel services" that I assume goes to some of the back of the house people (they may get something from housekeeping?). We were able to designate the Retreat bartender; there are almost no transactions in the lounge to tip on, and I just don't carry cash on the ship.

And, yes, I'd assume they're required to turn in cash tips. That's the only way to make the accounting work for the auto gratuities if some people pay cash. Pooling the tip jar is pretty standard at most bars so that's not unusual. 

Correct the $2 goes to the staff you don't see (eg laundry, washroom attendants etc).

Dining is the waiter/assistant.

Cabin steward is separate.

Bars tend to pool as they work together especially places like the Martini Bar which is more like a show.

Somelliers get the tips added to each drink.

10 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

Last week on Edge we filled in a form with crew names and position. When I turned it in to guest relations, the rep had me verify the picture of each person while she wrote down their ID number.

She said the amount would go on the salary card.

One of the individuals confirmed she will get the $ as long as the ID number is used.

We performed the same process in identifying staff photos when turning in the extra gratuity form at Guest Services on Edge a few weeks ago.  Also told these extra gratuities would be reflected in the staff members next pay check.  

We go on board armed with cash made up of different currencies and denominations so that when a staff member does something "over and above" we can reward him or her; for instance, when we docked in Funjal in April we gave our cabin attendant some euros to go ashore. He could spend it if he wished and we were happy to have given it. We pay the required gratuities that are part of the package and never, ever offer/admit any additional tips to  Reception.

22 hours ago, asctony said:

Tipping is now totally out of control.

It's now become 'out of OUR control'.....The line should NOT require their staff to report what is freely given by the guest to THEM personally.  We are a little extra generous with our room steward and we'd like to think it's helping them and their family specifically.  What a burden to put on their staff..having to choose to tell or not tell.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 10:06 AM, gcornell said:

Every day I say to myself I’m done reading tipping threads yet here I am.  It’s more effective than my morning pre workout coffee. 

So true! and I am going to comment:

I do not understand the obssesion some people have over tipping.  Who cares if the tips are pooled, counted as part of a salary, only split with certain crew?  As another poster said it is not in our control.

Being able to prepay gratuities was the best thing that ever happened with tipping.  The "theatre" of going around to different crew and handing them envelopes of cash was just ridiculous. 

Now,  on all the cruises I have been on (except 1) I always tip my cabin steward extra because I believe they had the hardest job.  And giving the tip is no big production, when I see the individual, could be day 2 or day 6 I slip him/her $100 and simply say "thanks, I appreciate you" and keep walking.  

Starting now - no more reading tipping threads 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3