Extension cord for pre-cruise use

I need an extension cord for my CPAP machine. I already contacted RCL to provide one as well as distilled water for it in the cabin, but we're doing a pre-cruise with 3 nights in hotels, so I still need to bring my own extension cord, which I obviously will not use on board.

Just wondering if I just should hand them over when boarding. What's the most efficient way to have them store during the cruise without having to pick up the luggage in the naughty room? Hand them over at the check-in desk or at the security check (although those are usually external contractors, not sure if they know what they are supposed to do with it then).

9 minutes ago, Brandis said:

What's the most efficient way to have them store during the cruise without having to pick up the luggage in the naughty room?

Put it in your carryon.

Posted (edited)

Try to contact the hotel where you will stay before the cruise. My father uses cpap machine and in several situations the extension cord was provided by the hotel. 

(On the orther hand we did a transatlantic last month, i told my father to not bring the extension cord because the hotel would provide it. He forgot and brought the extension cord on the carry on and never had any problems boarding the cruise. He never used the extension cord he brought from home, only the one provided by Royal Caribbean.)

Edited by framboesa

I figured I would put it in the carry-on anyway, as I'm not sure we have access to the big suitcase all the time during the land part.Just wasn't sure if port security might raise a fuss about it,

We often will stay pre/post cruise in a hotel. We've brought an extension cord on almost every cruise, never thought about it, always just packed it in our luggage. Nobody has ever said a word about it. 

22 minutes ago, JJK2008 said:

We often will stay pre/post cruise in a hotel. We've brought an extension cord on almost every cruise, never thought about it, always just packed it in our luggage. Nobody has ever said a word about it. 

I think you've been very fortunate.

I travel a lot for work and use a CPAP.  Most hotels I stay in (Hilton branded) have outlets on at least one side of the bed, often both.  While I carry a 6' (?) extension cord with my CPAP just in case, I haven't had to use it in years.  

Go to a dollar store and get a cheapy extension cord (like this: https://www.dollartree.com/durex-3-outlet-indoor-polarized-extension-cords-6ft/186860?Ntt=extension cord).  

Here's the Lowe's version: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-6-ft-16-2-2-Prong-Indoor-SPT-2-Light-Duty-General-Extension-Cord/3129343

Keep in in your CPAP case and if it gets through, great!  If you get called to the naughty room, let them keep it.  Or you can just leave it in the hotel room or trash it before getting on the ship. 

Every hotel we've stayed in since DH got his cpap has had an outlet right next to the bed so no need for an extension cord.  You could also as the pp said, buy a cheap one and leave it at the hotel.

• Like 1

Make sure you've made the request for the extension cord so the ship will provide it to you, and if you need and request it maybe the distilled water you need. The department is "Guest Special Needs," but give them some time to fulfill the request, say 48 hours.

Put your own extension cord in your carry on. If they see it and take it from you, they'll put a tag on it and you can reclaim it at the end of the cruise.

When they took our extension cord, we were supposed to get it back, but we were on a B2B, and it got lost by the time we finished part deux. We probably should have told them that when they confiscated it, but live and learn.

Avoid the delay with the carryon.  Put cord in your CPAP case.  I also use the excess capacity of the CPAP case to store my medication.  More room in the carry on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

Avoid the delay with the carryon.

The poster is trying to avoid the possibility of their check luggage being detained due to the cord in it. Even if detected at security within the carryon, that delay is likely shorter than the delay in delivery of checked luggage.

10 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The poster is trying to avoid the possibility of their check luggage being detained due to the cord in it. Even if detected at security within the carryon, that delay is likely shorter than the delay in delivery of checked luggage.

In the rare instance that the airline ask (order) a passenger to check the carryon for free  due to lack of space in the overhead bins.  If a passenger has the CPAP case which fits easily under the seat which also contains your back up extension cord and medications,  Just recently this happened to a airline passenger and the airline assured the passenger that the carryon would be safe secure and at his destination.  Nope! Now passenger did not have their medication.  I myself would rather have my CPAP bag at my feet than a carryon in the cargo bay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

I myself would rather have my CPAP bag at my feet than a carryon in the cargo bay.

We are talking about check in on the ship, not a plane.

Ok what’s the difference between storing back up in a carryon or the CPAP bag?  Since most cruisers fly to ports make life a little easier to store medication, backup extension cord and CPAP in one bag.  I am just throwing this out there for CPAP patients.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fenton04 said:

Ok what’s the difference between storing the extension cord in a carryon or the CPAP bag?  

There's no diff where you store it - for the OP, it's a matter of which is likely to incur the least delay/hassle. Again, we are talking about the ship, not a flight - there's no prohibition of extension cords on a flight like on a ship.

15 hours ago, Biker19 said:

There's no diff where you store it - for the OP, it's a matter of which is likely to incur the least delay/hassle. Again, we are talking about the ship, not a flight - there's no prohibition of extension cords on a flight like on a ship.

The CPAP has a power cord and an additional one likely wouldn't be noticed. A "standalone" cord in a carryon would be very obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Are regular extension cords even prohibited? I thought it‘s only power strips that are not allowed. That‘s what I use while traveling, because I then only need one adapter to plug in the strip and all my phones and other stuff I can plug in with their regular plugs. Also many hotels don‘t have that many plugs to begin with.

Since I need it before the cruise and it doesn‘t fit in the CPAP bag, hand luggage is probably easier than putting it in the checked luggage.

38 minutes ago, Brandis said:

Are regular extension cords even prohibited? I thought it‘s only power strips that are not allowed. That‘s what I use while traveling, because I then only need one adapter to plug in the strip and all my phones and other stuff I can plug in with their regular plugs. Also many hotels don‘t have that many plugs to begin with.

Since I need it before the cruise and it doesn‘t fit in the CPAP bag, hand luggage is probably easier than putting it in the checked luggage.

Yes, all extension cords are banned.  It's on Royal's website.  Easy to find.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

On 5/24/2024 at 6:39 AM, Biker19 said:

Put it in your carryon.

Agree, it is up to port security if you can bring it on board. If it is 3 prong most likely you can. If 2 prong 90% yes, but have had one refused. 

you know with thousand of passengers boarding the ship one should use the zebra strategy. Zebra as a herd have stripes to confuse predators so lessen the odds of being dinner. unfortunate as one will become dinner.  I say put that extension cord in your CPAP bag in the same pocket as the CPAP cord.  If it is placed in the carry on it will like the lone zebra.   Easy pickings.  Just saying.....

• Like 1

Still don't know why OP needs one for a hotel.  We've stayed in several since DH got his CPAP and have not needed one.  There is always a outlet next to the bed. Of course if you're staying a no tell motel, who knows.  

We both need a CPAP, plus 2 phones, a watch, an iPad and headphones, that makes 7 things to charge, never had a hotel with that many plugs, especially not in one place. And since we have different plugs, only one adapter is needed for the power strip. 

On the ship, that‘s less of a problem, as we usually won‘t need all those things at the same time. After a 10h flight, it’s a different story and we‘re then only 1 night at each hotel.

• Thanks 1

I think it was @brillohead That said to take a Sharpie and write on the cord and also on a tag, "For Medical Use Only". And then put it in your CPAP bag and they won't mess with it or take it. 

it sounds like a plan to me. ☺️