Lesson Learned - do NOT buy airfare through NCL!

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Not necessarily. I've often gotten the exact same ones that I would have booked. But then again, I'm flying from a regional airport that has limited flights to begin with, so pretty easy to figure out what I'm getting from NCL.

Are you saying when NCL will give you good flights when there are no other options?

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Are you saying when NCL will give you good flights when there are no other options?

Yup. Even tho flights from my location are limited, they aren't limited to what they use for connecting flights. But I will often get a non-stop overseas for example, when someone leaving from one of my layover gateways will not.  Contrary to popular belief, they do have guidelines to follow. I don't believe they go out of their way to make it difficult LOL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You get the flights no one else wanted.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

There a non-stop flights from my airport to Miami. Sometimes we get a non-stop with NCL air. Sometimes not. It really doesn't matter to us. Note: The non-stops are usually the departure flights when they have to get you there before the ship leaves. 

So sorry this happened to you, but sounds like it was a United/Luftansa issue.

I never use a third party to book anything, cruises I go right to the line, air I go right to the carrier same for hotels and car rentals. When using a third party in this case the cruise line to book your air, if a problem arises you get thrown back and forth like a ping pong ball usually without a good outcome.

Using NCL you save money and I’d guess most of the time it works out but I’m not willing to chance it 

• Like 2

One of my kids flies often, many of her flights are delayed or cancelled. Her noon flight to Chicago today is now saying 2:30, Our airport is a big united hub. We joke that no one should travel with her (she usually flies alone).

Cincinnati used to be a Delta Hub (which moved to Detroit when Delta bought Northwest).  Delta still has a very strong presence in Cincinnati, but there are now discount airlines encroaching like Frontier, Allegiant, Breeze, etc.

Those airlines are NOT known for their service, and are the cheapest in the area.  My guess is NCL would book those since they're cheap.  Odds are, I would be unhappy with any of them.  

Therefore, I know not to use NCL's "free air" offers.

36 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Cincinnati used to be a Delta Hub (which moved to Detroit when Delta bought Northwest).  Delta still has a very strong presence in Cincinnati, but there are now discount airlines encroaching like Frontier, Allegiant, Breeze, etc.

Those airlines are NOT known for their service, and are the cheapest in the area.  My guess is NCL would book those since they're cheap.  Odds are, I would be unhappy with any of them.  

Therefore, I know not to use NCL's "free air" offers.

Your guess would be mostly wrong IMHO. For the most part, they rarely use the discount airlines. At least not in my experience. And, other than a few complaints about carry-on fees for Spirit, I've not seen much posted in the way of bookings on "discount" carriers. And so far, NCL has always booked me in regular economy (so you bring a carryon), not basic. Delta, American, United, Alaska, AirCanada, IcelandAir, SW. Going on Condor next week - to Germany, then a charter, also on Condor, to Norway.

Keep in mind that they are buying tickets in bulk at a discount - so it's entirely possible that it's actually cheaper for them to use a bigger carrier, with a discount, than a discount carrier with no bulk discount.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Your guess would be mostly wrong IMHO. For the most part, they rarely use the discount airlines. At least not in my experience. And, other than a few complaints about carry-on fees for Spirit, I've not seen much posted in the way of bookings on "discount" carriers. And so far, NCL has always booked me in regular economy (so you bring a carryon), not basic. Delta, American, United, Alaska, AirCanada, IcelandAir, SW. Going on Condor next week - to Germany, then a charter, also on Condor, to Norway.

Keep in mind that they are buying tickets in bulk at a discount - so it's entirely possible that it's actually cheaper for them to use a bigger carrier, with a discount, than a discount carrier with no bulk discount.

Different experiences.  Know some guests who had reservations on both Frontier and Spirit.  One worked out OK, one didn’t.  

Flights weren’t ideal with either.

NCL knows where they are flying them to, but not from where.  Might be tough to do bulk buys!   But, really don’t know for sure!

9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

NCL knows where they are flying them to, but not from where.  Might be tough to do bulk buys!   But, really don’t know for sure!

Of course they know where they are flying from LOL.  When you book your cruise and include the airfare offer, you choose the gateway - and the price varies, depending on that gateway.

They can certainly buy bulk from various hubs, then add any additional cost for those of us who normally have to fly to one of those hubs.

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There a non-stop flights from my airport to Miami. Sometimes we get a non-stop with NCL air. Sometimes not. It really doesn't matter to us. Note: The non-stops are usually the departure flights when they have to get you there before the ship leaves. 

In order to get a non-stop, we have to drive approx two hours to Nashville.  Plus the tickets are generally, maybe, 5% cheaper.  On our next cruise, we drive to Nashville, spend the night, then fly to Miami to spend the night, before boarding the ship two days after leaving home.  Since wife does not like to drive at night, we're spending the night again in Nashville prior to returning home.

Convoluted but wife prefers this over any flights from HSV.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Of course they know where they are flying from LOL.  When you book your cruise and include the airfare offer, you choose the gateway - and the price varies, depending on that gateway.

They can certainly buy bulk from various hubs, then add any additional cost for those of us who normally have to fly to one of those hubs.

Every ticket would be a different cost dependent on where the guest is flying FROM!  I can’t imagine NCL buying bulk tickets that would originate in every city with an airport!

• Like 2

Did you even read what I wrote??? Nowhere did I say NCL could/would buy in bulk from every city with an airport. When you choose the airfare, there is an extensive list of gateways you can choose from - all priced accordingly, based on whatever pricing model NCL uses. But since you've never used it, I guess you wouldn't know that.

30 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Every ticket would be a different cost dependent on where the guest is flying FROM!

you choose the gateway - and the price varies, depending on that gateway.

I can’t imagine NCL buying bulk tickets that would originate in every city with an airport!

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Every ticket would be a different cost dependent on where the guest is flying FROM!  I can’t imagine NCL buying bulk tickets that would originate in every city with an airport!

When I used NCL flights to Iceland, there were several groups that were on the same international flight booked by NCL there and back. So I think the group people on the same connections, even if they can’t group from originating airport. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 4:56 PM, RocketMan275 said:

We use a TA.  Our TA offers an 8% discount on cruise fares.  I book every thing else myself.

I send her my cruise info, cabin class, cabin#, date, cruise line, She does the rest and sends me a check for the discount.

I get a bigger discount than that on my own. 🙂

Edited by MoCruiseFan

5 hours ago, julig22 said:

Did you even read what I wrote??? Nowhere did I say NCL could/would buy in bulk from every city with an airport. When you choose the airfare, there is an extensive list of gateways you can choose from - all priced accordingly, based on whatever pricing model NCL uses. But since you've never used it, I guess you wouldn't know that.

(sigh)!

OK!

14 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I get a bigger discount than that on my own. 🙂

What's your secret... booking on your own without the benefit of a TA unless you are a TA?

23 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What's your secret... booking on your own without the benefit of a TA unless you are a TA?

He always makes  the claim but never provides any proof.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 6:04 PM, RocketMan275 said:

You get the flights no one else wanted.

Not necessarily, ours was great, nonstop from DC to Miami, no problem at all. We'd do it again in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not necessarily, ours was great, nonstop from DC to Miami, no problem at all. We'd do it again in a heartbeat.

You're in a wonderful condition where you're flying from one major hub to another.

We, OTOH, find it difficult to book nonstop flights to anywhere but DFW or ATL>

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You're in a wonderful condition where you're flying from one major hub to another.

We, OTOH, find it difficult to book nonstop flights to anywhere but DFW or ATL>

Yes, we are fortunate to live close to 3 airports. My comment was in response to an earlier one you made in which you stated that NCL only gives people the flights nobody else wanted. That isn't true for us. 

17 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, we are fortunate to live close to 3 airports. My comment was in response to an earlier one you made in which you stated that NCL only gives people the flights nobody else wanted. That isn't true for us. 

It's still true.  You're in a situation where even the flights 'no one wants' are still very good.  

• Like 1

I always love the folks that haven't used NCL Air (and claim they never will) responding so forcefully on these posts.

To the OP - sorry you had such issues. I agree with most that it's an airline issue, not a NCL issue. Still, not a fun situation! 

To others - perhaps base your opinions on actual use of a service. I've used NCL BOGO Air twice. I never had any issue, whatsoever! I was able to upgrade myself, book free checked bags, and not have any crazy insane layovers...unless you count my 80 minute layover in Paris which worked out just fine. I was even able to buy a couple croissants (and a pretzel) before my connecting flight left.

So long as you understand what the product is, NCL BOGO Air is a very good product that NCL offers. Before booking, be sure to read the Air Service Standards here: https://www.ncl.com/air-service-standards

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1