Verandah (V2) category on Deck 3 AFT locations - your opinions please

pcalv

Hi folks, I'm planning of our first cruise onboard a Viking ship for the 8 day Iberian Explorer itinerary and I was considering a Verandah (V2) Aft location.  Can anyone who has stayed in a V2 category AFT cabin please give me some insights on;

- The location of Deck 3 Aft cabins - do they get noise from surrounding public areas, e.g restaurant below

- The inconvenience of not being able to pre-book dining venues until on the ship.  Have you been disadvantaged booking onboard?

- The inconvenience of not being having priority access to book shore excursions until 60 days prior to sailing

best regards,

Paul.

Posted (edited)

You can find answers to many of your questions here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/

Start post-Covid as much of the information is outdated.

I just tried a search on the Deck 3 aft cabins because I know this has been discussed, but alas, the search function on CC is abysmal. You might have more luck.

Other folks might weigh in about their experiences with the aft cabins.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, pcalv said:

Hi folks, I'm planning of our first cruise onboard a Viking ship for the 8 day Iberian Explorer itinerary and I was considering a Verandah (V2) Aft location.  Can anyone who has stayed in a V2 category AFT cabin please give me some insights on;

- The location of Deck 3 Aft cabins - do they get noise from surrounding public areas, e.g restaurant below

- The inconvenience of not being able to pre-book dining venues until on the ship.  Have you been disadvantaged booking onboard?

- The inconvenience of not being having priority access to book shore excursions until 60 days prior to sailing

best regards,

Paul.

This has been discussed and all said no noise from The Restaurant below. We’ve been on 3 forward and no noise from open atrium. If your worried about bookings why not move to a DV. 

• Thanks 1

Just spent 90 days in 3083 on Orion. NONE of your issues where a concern at all. Actually we like the quick convenience to gym, on/off ship and quick morning coffee in Living room one floor to Restautant..

We only book deck 3 and either a V1 or V2 and now after 10 Viking cruises, we keep booking these cabins.

We tend to go mid-ship working towards the Aft, but we have also been only a few from the end of the corridor in the Aft.  No issues at all.

The dining room is not a late night venue and would never be a challenge unless you are going to bed at 8pm, but even then I doubt you will hear anything.

• Like 1

Our first cruise was cabin 3072, a DV next to a V2. There was no noise from the dining room.

After a couple of sailings in DV 4 cabins (a couple of which had pilasters that jut into the cabin at the foot of the bed, ouch), I decided that it was just easier to book DV6 and not worry if the room had a pilaster or not. V2s do not have to worry about pilasters.  The only reason I would not book a V2 is that it is further aft than I would like.

8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Our first cruise was cabin 3072, a DV next to a V2. There was no noise from the dining room.

After a couple of sailings in DV 4 cabins (a couple of which had pilasters that jut into the cabin at the foot of the bed, ouch), I decided that it was just easier to book DV6 and not worry if the room had a pilaster or not. V2s do not have to worry about pilasters.  The only reason I would not book a V2 is that it is further aft than I would like.

What is a pilaster?

2 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Funny. Who knew! Many us increased our vocabulary today. Thanks Peregrina. 😁

Thanks Peregrina ;)

15 hours ago, jmfdr said:

What is a pilaster?

15 hours ago, pcalv said:

Good question so I looked it up.  Apparently a pilaster is a wall bump out https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2950221-wall-bump-outs/page/2/

15 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Funny. Who knew! Many us increased our vocabulary today. Thanks Peregrina. 😁

15 hours ago, pcalv said:

Thanks Peregrina 😉

13 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Don't thank me. Thank our resident architect @Clay Clayton for explaining what those damned annoyances are called.

After 121 days in 5054 which had a pilaster, I came to like ours-it kept me from bumping into the TV when returning from a middle of the night toilet visit AND during rough seas made a good handhold 😂

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

After 121 days in 5054 which had a pilaster, I came to like ours-it kept me from bumping into the TV when returning from a middle of the night toilet visit AND during rough seas made a good handhold 😂

Hello Clay.  Do you recall if 5060 was a few cabins forward of the elevators as shown on the deck map?

On 6/1/2024 at 7:54 PM, pcalv said:

best regards,

Paul.

Paul

Can’t respond to our aft Deck 3 questions but can to your other V related questions. 

We have never had an issue getting into Manfredi’s or Chef’s Table once onboard as long as we were flexible with time and day. Even when we have been able to book ahead, we don’t bother as I barely know what I want for dinner tonight, how do I know months ahead?  

We tend to either do included excursions or private ones, we haven’t had an issue with getting our excursions we want either.  Again, we may have to be flexible on the timing. 

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

And that's what's called making lemonade from lemons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Islandbc said:

Hello Clay.  Do you recall if 5060 was a few cabins forward of the elevators as shown on the deck map?

The deck plans are pretty accurate.  We met folks on board whose stateroom opened directly into the elevator lobby and they reported no sound issues-only problem was making sure they were fully prepared to greet the public whenever they opened their door😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

The deck plans are pretty accurate.  We met folks on board whose stateroom opened directly into the elevator lobby and they reported no sound issues-only problem was making sure they were fully prepared to greet the public whenever they opened their door😂

We aren't concerned about any noise, just having to be careful about when we the open door.  We usually are in aft cabins on deck 3, but decided to try deck 5 for the 2025 WC.  Just don't want to be on display early in the morning when DH comes and goes!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Islandbc said:

We aren't concerned about any noise, just having to be careful about when we the open door.  We usually are in aft cabins on deck 3, but decided to try deck 5 for the 2025 WC.  Just don't want to be on display early in the morning when DH comes and goes!

@CCWineLover is currently on a cruise and reported in another thread that the Deck 5 diagrams are slightly inaccurate. The doors to the rooms at the fore elevators do not open into the waiting area. The doors actually open into the hallway and the walls of the cabin are facing the waiting area. This seems to be the only deck where this occurs. The cabins become offset slightly as the decks go higher.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Paul

Can’t respond to our aft Deck 3 questions but can to your other V related questions. 

We have never had an issue getting into Manfredi’s or Chef’s Table once onboard as long as we were flexible with time and day. Even when we have been able to book ahead, we don’t bother as I barely know what I want for dinner tonight, how do I know months ahead?  

We tend to either do included excursions or private ones, we haven’t had an issue with getting our excursions we want either.  Again, we may have to be flexible on the timing. 

Thanks so much for your feedback Clay!  This is making me feel much more comfortable.  I've booked a V2 category cabin on the cruise.

3 hours ago, pcalv said:

Thanks so much for your feedback Clay!  This is making me feel much more comfortable.  I've booked a V2 category cabin on the cruise.

No problem. Just paying it forward!

17 minutes ago, Name that champagne said:

I've stayed in a V2 and loved it. Not having the coffee maker gives you lots of extra shelf space too. There is plenty of places to get coffee if you want it!

Love coffee!  Thanks for your feedback!

It seem to like on the small VO ships there really isn't a bad room right?  Maybe across from one of the laundry rooms but I've also heard people say that that was ok also.

31 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

It seem to like on the small VO ships there really isn't a bad room right?  Maybe across from one of the laundry rooms but I've also heard people say that that was ok also.

I think also some people say not directly above the theatre or the Torshavn at the bow, but then a few others say that's not been an issue either.  I guess it all depends on how disturbed by bumps and music you are.

37 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

Here is a blog posting about cabins to avoid

http://viking-cruises-cabin-guide.blogspot.com/p/cabins-to-avioid.html?m=1