Wall bump outs

florafun

18 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

The horror!  Sorry you are putting up with such. 😱

This started because the OP was concerned about her husband passing by due to being handicapped in some way. So I wouldn’t be sarcastic. Yes, to most of us, this wouldn’t matter, but for her, it could. Also, for those that could stub their toes on it during the night. 

• Like 3

Ships are full of quirks and kinks necessary for required structural members.  If it is a serious problem for anyone they need to research and find a cabin or cabin grade that fits their needs.  Not complain about it. It is what it is. 

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Ships are full of quirks and kinks necessary for required structural members.  If it is a serious problem for anyone they need to research and find a cabin or cabin grade that fits their needs.  Not complain about it. It is what it is. 

Yeah, that's what she was doing.  They found her husband had to fold up his walker to get by the bump and were trying to find a DV that did not have one.  Legit reason, no complaint.  You know how we all love to get off track here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Add 5039 to the list of cabins with "bump outs" more correctly known as pilasters. 😂

Ah, so now we can call this a "pilaster disaster."

No joking now, thanks for the vocabulary lesson. I recognize the word but was never sure what it was exactly. Now we all know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2023 at 11:37 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Ah, so now we can call this a "pilaster disaster."

No joking now, thanks for the vocabulary lesson. I recognize the word but was never sure what it was exactly. Now we all know.

Also know as "engaged columns". I suspect there is likely a technical difference but ....

• 3 weeks later...

Cabin 4059 has the bump out (pilaster) if someone is compiling a list.  
Is there a list for cabins whose chairs face the front of the ship?   4059 chairs face the back.  It wasn’t a huge issue, but I would prefer facing forward on future cruises.

1 hour ago, Spurlady said:

Cabin 4059 has the bump out (pilaster) if someone is compiling a list.  
Is there a list for cabins whose chairs face the front of the ship?   4059 chairs face the back.  It wasn’t a huge issue, but I would prefer facing forward on future cruises.

Hmmm...don't know.  Thinking of past cabins and in the PV's we have had, the back of the sofa was on the same wall as the headboard of the bed.  In DV's, the 2 chair backs have been on the same wall as the headboard.  Seems like the fore/aft bed orientation list would work.  Got that somewhere but changed phones recently and not up to storage speed locations yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Hmmm...don't know.  Thinking of past cabins and in the PV's we have had, the back of the sofa was on the same wall as the headboard of the bed.  In DV's, the 2 chair backs have been on the same wall as the headboard.  Seems like the fore/aft bed orientation list would work.  Got that somewhere but changed phones recently and not up to storage speed locations yet.

Yes, the bed orientation was the same as the chairs.  As a first time cruiser, it was not something I would have even know to ask about.  

14 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I found the list with a search, thanks for letting me know it existed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I would assume the pilisters are found in the same cabins across the Viking fleet so not seeing a need to call out the ship.

Anyway, wasn't there a list floating around much like the door list for the PV cabins? 

Edited by Haqdeluxe
Change VS to PV...

16 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just for those who aren’t sure what is being discussed here is a picture:

IMG_0015.jpeg

Thanks, Clay.  Never had it before, but looks like we will get to stub toes this coming trip on Saturn in a few weeks as we have 5039.  (from your earlier post it has one)

Just now, CCWineLover said:

Thanks, Clay.  Never had it before, but looks like we will get to stub toes this coming trip on Saturn in a few weeks as we have 5039.  (from your earlier post it has one)

I actually have started to like it-it gives me a handhold on my middle of the night trips to the bathroom in the rough seas we are experiencing. It also keeps me from bumping into the tv. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3