Dress code at night + Shuttles

Aapreciate

Hi, all,

I understand that Viking Ocean requires no jeans at night.  Would nice black jeans also be forbidden?  

Another question:  Is there a way to get into the towns for those who don't elect a shore excursion?

Thanks in advance!

there are shuttles in some ports...sometimes provided by Viking, sometimes provided by the port or the city.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Aapreciate said:

Hi, all,

I understand that Viking Ocean requires no jeans at night.  Would nice black jeans also be forbidden?  

Another question:  Is there a way to get into the towns for those who don't elect a shore excursion?

Thanks in advance!

Your dress code question about black jeans is open for debate.

There are those that I have read here on CC that have been turned away, but this seems to be ship and crew specific.

I don't think that anyone can give you a answer that is 100% reliable.

No offence, but your definition of "nice black jeans" is subjective to the person looking at them.

Sometimes there is no dress code compliance in the dining room at night and other times people are asked to change or denied entry.

This right from the Viking Ocean website:

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, swim shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM. 

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Aapreciate said:

Hi, all,

Thanks in advance!

Black jeans are still jeans.

• Like 5

On our cruise last month, they actually let someone in one night wearing jeans, but then sent one man away on another night. They also let our friend in one night when he was wearing shorts. They were nicer, golf style shorts. So, it definitely depends. The one thing we did like was that when they told the person, they were very discrete about it. They didn't make a big scene. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if you wore black jeans. Nobody is going to see them once you sit down.

As far as getting into town, that's very dependent on the port. We had at least 1 port where you were not allowed to walk to the entrance just due to the working nature of the port. So there was a shuttle that took you just to the main gate. Then other ports had shuttles that would take you to basically the center area of town, or near there. And then other places had nothing. Either due to no busses, or because it was easy enough to walk. We almost always walked. Oh, and some excursions you're on will do a drop off in town before heading back to the ship for those that want to explore more. So yes, there can be, but it's not a guarantee.

15 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

On our cruise last month, they actually let someone in one night wearing jeans, but then sent one man away on another night. They also let our friend in one night when he was wearing shorts. They were nicer, golf style shorts. So, it definitely depends. The one thing we did like was that when they told the person, they were very discrete about it. They didn't make a big scene. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if you wore black jeans. Nobody is going to see them once you sit down.

As far as getting into town, that's very dependent on the port. We had at least 1 port where you were not allowed to walk to the entrance just due to the working nature of the port. So there was a shuttle that took you just to the main gate. Then other ports had shuttles that would take you to basically the center area of town, or near there. And then other places had nothing. Either due to no busses, or because it was easy enough to walk. We almost always walked. Oh, and some excursions you're on will do a drop off in town before heading back to the ship for those that want to explore more. So yes, there can be, but it's not a guarantee.

There can be reasons why one will be let in and another will not.  One cabin may be waiting on delayed luggage and not have any other clothes.  This would be noted on the cabin and hosts would not deny entry for that reason.  We never know why one is let in and another is not.

I would assume that shorts in the evening will depend on the style and type and would be an individual decision.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

There can be reasons why one will be let in and another will not.  One cabin may be waiting on delayed luggage and not have any other clothes.  This would be noted on the cabin and hosts would not deny entry for that reason.  We never know why one is let in and another is not.

I would assume that shorts in the evening will depend on the style and type and would be an individual decision.

Oh, I can tell you both times, with the people wearing jeans, it wasn't that. I do understand that though, we had a couple on our excursion, after they got on Rome the day before, that didn't have luggage.

But, both times, that was the case. The first one, the gentleman started walking away and said to the I assume wife, I have to go change, they won't let me in with jeans. The other one, she said to the man that they don't allow it, but they would give him this one exception. I'm guessing if either case was related to luggage, they wouldn't even say anything.

And yes, our friend that was wearing shorts, they were definitely nice shorts. I describe them as golf style, even though I don't golf. LOL! But that nicer material, longer length, but not weird long, if that makes sense. My husband only wears cargo shorts, so that's all I know. 🤣

21 hours ago, duquephart said:

Black jeans are still jeans.

I have worn black jeans and white jeans.  The overstitched seams are self coloured, unlike proper "blue jeans" that have obvious light coloured stitching.   I call them  jeans because that is what they are designated as in my local Marks and Spencer (of course I am from the UK - other stores are available).  

I do not know how any crew member or passenger would identify them as jeans rather than any other black or white trousers.    My understanding of the rule is Blue denim jeans that look like workwear ie Levi's or similar, are not allowed.  

Strangely I do recall a lady dancing in the Atrium on New Years Eve in blue ripped jeans with diamonds on the pockets.  We had all had several drinks by then I think.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For the that’s not fair crowd, I think it’s the easiest method of ensuring that cutoff shorts and questionable tee shirts or bathing suits tops are not worn.  Once again this doesn’t apply to the World Cafe.

It depends? What is the definition of "jeans" these days? Historically jeans were primarily associated with the material (denim and rivets). Now days "jeans" have a broader range in both materials and styling. Some consider all five pocket style of pants to be jeans, regardless of material and styling, but in some cases the only difference between these and chinos is the styling, especially in pockets design. The materials and colors can be identical; only the styling is different.

It is interesting to note that chinos are widely accepted as casual dinner attire, but this is not their origin. The name is derived from the Spanish word for Chinese pants. Originally these were made in China in a style with reduced fabrics, slimmer fit, lack of pleats, without the "bells and whistles" of more elegant garments. The original connotation was a cheap trouser.

It will probably remain a bone of contention until "jeans" is defined. Until it is, I will continue to wear five pocket style pants (but not in any color of denim and without rivets) since this style of pants fits me better and is more comfortable. It is also generally accepted as business casual and country club casual, which I consider synonymous with "elegant casual."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

It depends? What is the definition of "jeans" these days? Historically jeans were primarily associated with the material (denim and rivets). Now days "jeans" have a broader range in  both materials and styling. Some consider all five pocket style of pants to be jeans, regardless of material and styling, but in some cases the only difference between these and chinos is the styling, especially in pockets design. The materials and colors can be identical; only the styling is different.

It is interesting to note that chinos are widely accepted as casual dinner attire, but this is not their origin. The name is derived from the Spanish word for Chinese pants. Originally these were made in China in a style with reduced fabrics, slimmer fit, lack of pleats, without the "bells and whistles" of more elegant garments. The original connotation was a cheap trouser.

It will probably remain a bone of contention until "jeans" is defined. Until it is, I will continue to wear five pocket style pants (but not in any color of denim and without rivets) since this style of pants fits me better and is more comfortable. It is also generally accepted as business casual and country club casual, which I consider synonymous with "elegant casual."

I was confused the first time I heard the description of pants as chinos, my father born in 1927 always referred to that style of pants as suntans.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that if you wear black (or white) 'jeans' with self-colored stitching, that are not torn or faded, and your top or blouse bottom is untucked and falls below the pocket level, who would even know that they are 'jeans style'?  And why would it matter?

• Like 2

Why the debate? If you are wearing jeans or shorts you should be denied entry to the dining room. Your jeans may be expensive  and your shorts made of a quality material but that doesn’t change the rules. And, while I’m having a rant 🤣, do not wear a baseball hat in the dining room. 
I have also seen less than acceptable evening wear in the Explorers’ Lounge after 6.00 p.m. but I’ll leave that for another day.

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I guess the moot point is define "jeans"   I agree about shorts, and baseball hats and those who have not had the good manners to shower and change after a hard and hot days sightseeing.

Jeans are made from denim and can be of various colours. Also jeans have rivets. The internet gives a definition. If in doubt, don’t pack them. 

• Like 1

Some dining room crew turn people away.  Some don't.

My thought is read the dress code and try to conform.

If you push the limit and you get turned away, then it is only yourself that you have to blame.

My feeling is that regardless of the colour, if you call them "jeans" they are jeans.

This will be a forever debated topic and folks will forever push the limits that will not agree with many people's tolerances. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Some dining room crew turn people away.  Some don't.

My thought is read the dress code and try to conform.

If you push the limit and you get turned away, then it is only yourself that you have to blame.

My feeling is that regardless of the colour, if you call them "jeans" they are jeans.

This will be a forever debated topic and folks will forever push the limits that will not agree with many people's tolerances. 

I just get frustrated at times by the "do the rules apply to me?" attitude.  If the policy is no jeans then don't wear your jeans.  If shoes and socks are required, then wear them, etc.  If you are want to go to the wall on this one, then dine in World Cafe, where jeans are allowed (I believe).

Somebody posted on another thread about the rule banning outside hair dryers, asking if bringing their own was OK, since the person will only use a certain brand---NO!!  Granted, this is a safety issue, but still....NO!

Next thing someone will ask if not wearing pants is OK......  after all, it is "their" vacation...

(This concludes my old-man-rant)

Edited by sharkster77

1 minute ago, sharkster77 said:

I just get frustrated at times by the "do the rules apply to me?" attitude.  If the policy is no jeans then don't wear your jeans.  If shoes and socks are required, then wear them, etc.  If you are want to go to the wall on this one, then dine in World Cafe, where jeans are allowed (I believe).

Somebody posted on another thread about the rule banning outside hair dryers, asking if bringing their own was OK, since the person will only use a certain brand---NO!!  Granted, this is a safety issue, but still....NO!

Next thing someone will ask if not wearing pants is OK......  after all, it is "their" vacation...

Well, not to bring this up again, but how many of us have seen people come to the World Cafe in the morning in their bathrobe and slippers with PJ's on.  This is not your home breakfast room.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CDNPolar said:

Well, not to bring this up again, but how many of us have seen people come to the World Cafe in the morning in their bathrobe and slippers with PJ's on.  This is not your home breakfast room.

When I see that in hotel breakfast rooms I just shake my head

13 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

On our last Mediterranean cruise two “dudes” showed up for afternoon tea in bathrobes and no pants. Their SOs were there dressed to the nines and IMO they showed up to mock those attending. Frat boys who were “too cool for the room.” 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

(This concludes my old-man-rant)

From one old man to another, well said.

47 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

I've seen women wearing fashionable, likely quite expensive, jeans in the Viking dining rooms over the years.  With nice shoes and a top.

I suspect there are various factors at work in making a determination on suitability

If they are jeans then don’t wear them to dinner. It simply puts the crew in a difficult position having to make a decision. It would also annoy me that jeans, expensive or otherwise, are being permitted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

When I see that in hotel breakfast rooms I just shake my head

We had a very loud American lady who came to afternoon tea in her bathrobe. She also wore it to Trivia just before lunch. My first thought was that she had learning difficulties but I suspect she simply wanted to be the centre of attention.

• Haha 2