Bigger

41 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Is that really true? I've been reading that the fares for the humongous new RCCL ship, the Oasis, are sky high.

Fares are always higher on new ships but what people are probably remarking about some of the upper “neighborhoods “. They have refined the tiered neighborhood concept.   

Many of these comments about how folks select their preferred cruise ships are pure conjecture.  

Some may want a sleepy sedate cruise.  Others may want a fiesta atmosphere and enjoy all the attractions.  Many want something in the middle.  I'm guessing these so called "unthinking" customers, if they even exist, are across the board. 

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Many of these comments about how folks select their preferred cruise ships are pure conjecture.  

Some may want a sleepy sedate cruise.  Others may want a fiesta atmosphere and enjoy all the attractions.  Many want something in the middle.  I'm guessing these so called "unthinking" customers, if they even exist, are across the board. 

I maintain that anyone who believes, without qualification, that “bigger is better” is unthinking.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I maintain that anyone who believes, without qualification, that “bigger is better” is unthinking.

That would also apply to those who without qualification believe smaller is better.  Or that a "whatever" is better.    

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I also like the Airbus 320, but of course it wasn't even an option until many years after the 747 was put into service.  For long haul 10+ hour flights the 747 was a favorite of mine.  

We've flown it twice (upper deck) and loved it. But my fave (so far) is the US 787 Dreamliner, (Polaris J class of course) 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clo said:

We've flown it twice (upper deck) and loved it. But my fave (so far) is the US 787 Dreamliner, (Polaris J class of course) 🙂

We also enjoy the 787.  But sadly not Polaris.  The big windows with the tinting control are awesome.   I think our next three overseas flights are 787, 787, and 777.   

We have been on the Airbus double decker at least once.   It is huge. I prefer the 787.  

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

But sadly not Polaris.

We've 'just' used points/miles. After three years of no travel (covid) we had a lot 🙂 One time I used points and $$$ to waitlist. It cleared at the gate for flight from Buenos Aires to Houston. A glass of Champagne, no dinner and I slept all night.

• Like 1

Another factor on a bigger ship is I believe they handle rough water way better than a smaller boat ,only time I got seasick was on a 20k ship going to Bermuda some 40 plus years ago. On another Bermuda cruise we had extremely rough water and we were ok but lots weren’t, I talked to someone on the island and there ship was twice the size and they were fine.

argument for smaller ships is they can dock where larger boats can’t , example I like being in Hamilton in Bermuda, large ships can’t dock there.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

That would also apply to those who without qualification believe smaller is better.  Or that a "whatever" is better.    

Yup. I’ll go farther and say those who think what’s better for them is what’s better for everyone are truly the ones who are unthinking. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, George C said:

Another factor on a bigger ship is I believe they handle rough water way better than a smaller boat ,only time I got seasick was on a 20k ship going to Bermuda some 40 plus years ago. On another Bermuda cruise we had extremely rough water and we were ok but lots weren’t, I talked to someone on the island and there ship was twice the size and they were fine.

argument for smaller ships is they can dock where larger boats can’t , example I like being in Hamilton in Bermuda, large ships can’t dock there.

Any number of the former officers that post here have said it's not size that affects ride, it's design.

• Like 3

If I am happy with a $20 steak why would I want to pay $50 for a steak? One could put forth the argument that the $50 steak is better for any number of reasons, but those arguments are subject to individual judgment. 

• Like 1

According to Google the median income for Carnival cruise passengers is $99k per year. The median income for Windstar cruise passengers is $175k. I expect that the median income for Oceania's passengers is much more than $99k per year. This, more than anything else, probably plays the biggest role in people's choice of cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

According to Google the median income for Carnival cruise passengers is $99k per year. The median income for Windstar cruise passengers is $175k. I expect that the median income for Oceania's passengers is much more than $99k per year. This, more than anything else, probably plays the biggest role in people's choice of cruise.

I would think also, correct me if I am wrong, the Carnival demographic is younger attracting more families and even more grandparents with grandchildren.  That means triple and quadruple occupancy which is more expensive and more available.  I would not consider Oceania or Windstar suitable for a family with young children.  Yes of course I know some of you do go on adult cruises with children but it is the exception and not comparable to Carnival and RCCL child passenger numbers 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I would think also, correct me if I am wrong, the Carnival demographic is younger attracting more families and even more grandparents with grandchildren.  That means triple and quadruple occupancy which is more expensive and more available.  I would not consider Oceania or Windstar suitable for a family with young children.  Yes of course I know some of you do go on adult cruises with children but it is the exception and not comparable to Carnival and RCCL child passenger numbers 

Carnival 47, Windstar 50. But yes, Carnival does attract a lot of young families and this also impacts people's decisions. 

On 6/11/2024 at 7:04 AM, AKJonesy said:

I can only speak about Holland America.  Your question is subjective.  At least on HAL, there are die hard regular cruisers that embrace the smaller ships so keep that in mind as you read the posts.  I have grown weary of them because even with some updates, they still appear dark and old to me.  Two things I can say about the older class HAL ships that I like is that the staterooms are larger as compared to HAL Pinnacle class ships, AND you can lounge on the promenade deck.  The promenade deck on the Pinnacle class ships are for walking only.  However, having specialty restaurants is a bonus on the Pinnacle class including Club Orange.  You can find quiet places on all of the ships despite the number of passengers.  Lunch time will be busy in the Lido on any ship but breakfast and dinner is easier to find a place to sit.  Look at some vids on YT of various ships and classes and you will get an idea.  HAL does not have any mega ships but for some of my fellow cruisers, I am sure the Pinnacle class does feel that way.  

Sounds like it may be time for you to follow so many other HAL (and Celebrity/Princess) cruisers and move up to Oceania.

9 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If I am happy with a $20 steak why would I want to pay $50 for a steak? One could put forth the argument that the $50 steak is better for any number of reasons, but those arguments are subject to individual judgment. 

Your post sounds like you’re assuming a retail restaurant $50 steak is considered by some to be better than a $20 steak. That might be possible but not in every situation. A better question might be “how do I get the best steak for the least cost?”

The actual/specific cost for the steak is open to interpretation. After all, what does that US Prime filet mignon cost the cruise line that provides it as a no extra cost item? It may only be a $15 item in your “bottom line” fare calculation on a premium/luxury line.

This is not much different than looking at the cost of cruiseline airfare. That “bargain” RT intercontinental economy air add-on of $1000 on a mass market line might get you a $1200 DIY air credit on a premium/luxury line.

Ergo, my constant reminder that “net daily rate” of the vacation (for all required and optionally desired items) is what matters in looking solely at the math of the cash outlay. Of course, we then add the quality (as much as if not more than the quantity) of what we get to determine what true “value” exists when doing comparisons.

42 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Missed that lesson/discussion in your Naval Architecture class?

All I know is I would feel safer on a 200,000 ton ship then a 20,000 ton ship if there were 20 ft waves . 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Your post sounds like you’re assuming a retail restaurant $50 steak is considered by some to be better than a $20 steak. That might be possible but not in every situation. A better question might be “how do I get the best steak for the least cost?”

The actual/specific cost for the steak is open to interpretation. After all, what does that US Prime filet mignon cost the cruise line that provides it as a no extra cost item? It may only be a $15 item in your “bottom line” fare calculation on a premium/luxury line.

This is not much different than looking at the cost of cruiseline airfare. That “bargain” RT intercontinental economy air add-on of $1000 on a mass market line might get you a $1200 DIY air credit on a premium/luxury line.

Ergo, my constant reminder that “net daily rate” of the vacation (for all required and optionally desired items) is what matters in looking solely at the math of the cash outlay. Of course, we then add the quality (as much as if not more than the quantity) of what we get to determine what true “value” exists when doing comparisons.

I specified if "I'm happy with..." so I wasn't assuming anything about anyone, simply talking about me. Frankly I've seen nothing the premium/luxury lines have to offer me, personally, that would entice me to book with them. The "better" doesn't matter to me. Now, if I really could book with them for what I would pay with one of the mainstream lines or even close to it I might consider it. Our week cost $5k or so all in for two people in a balcony for our last cruise and we feel that we received a good value for our vacation dollar. 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2024 at 3:58 PM, Aquahound said:

Yup.  I think so.  I love the mega ships, and I don't care who gets offended by my saying that.  

Why should anyone be offended by your preference? it does not harm anyone or even affect them in any way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I specified if "I'm happy with..." so I wasn't assuming anything about anyone, simply talking about me. Frankly I've seen nothing the premium/luxury lines have to offer me, personally, that would entice me to book with them. The "better" doesn't matter to me. Now, if I really could book with them for what I would pay with one of the mainstream lines or even close to it I might consider it. Our week cost $5k or so all in for two people in a balcony for our last cruise and we feel that we received a good value for our vacation dollar. 

During Oceania’s recent Flash Sale over Memorial Day weekend, there were quite a number of cruises that would meet or beat your price criteria. There’s also a continuing 4 category upgrade sale with a number of shorter itineraries that would easily beat your criteria. You said a week? If you mean 7 days (in a balcony) check this out: 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/bermuda-cruises/boston-to-boston-NAU240918/?sr=%2Fspecial-offers%2Fupgrade-sale. At $4300 per veranda cabin (without included air or air credit) but with $400 excursion credit, wine/beer at meals, all other available beverages, unlimited internet an all specialty restaurants, I’m sure you’d find that price meets your criteria.

How about 10 days for $4700 (no air) with same perks with an additional $200 in excursion SBC. 
https://www.oceaniacruises.com/caribbean-cruises/miami-to-cartagena-NAU241203/?insider=8j3p-tahryn-nicastro&sr=%2Fspecial-offers%2Fupgrade-sale
And let’s not forget that we haven’t added TA SBC or rebate to the deal.

I think that sale is still on for at least a few more days. It includes more than 50 cruises (or course some are more expensive for a variety of reasons. But, Oceania cruises can be quite the value laden bargain if one keeps their eyes open across the multiple sales each year.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Yup. I’ll go farther and say those who think what’s better for them is what’s better for everyone are truly the ones who are unthinking. 

The contempt shown for mass market lines and those who enjoy them is bewildering to me.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

The contempt shown for mass market lines and those who enjoy them is bewildering to me.   

Agree. While I'm sticking with smaller ships (think 100 pax is small enough?!?!?) I completely get all others and all other reasons. And for those who stick 100% to one cruise line seem pretty bewildering to me Whatever.

11 minutes ago, clo said:

Agree. While I'm sticking with smaller ships (think 100 pax is small enough?!?!?) I completely get all others and all other reasons. And for those who stick 100% to one cruise line seem pretty bewildering to me Whatever.

Maybe they found what they enjoy.  Then add the perks and there is much happiness.