Questions for my first QM2 Crossing

Aoumd

Posted (edited)

Recently booked my first QM2 Transatlantic Crossing, and have a few questions.  Maybe this is getting too much into the details for a voyage that's not for six months, but I'm excited and enjoy learning these things!

Any help or guidance on any of these is most appreciated!

• I plan to do my own laundry on this crossing.  I understand that the self-service launderettes are busy.  Is there a particular time of day, or deck, where there is less demand on the launderettes?  
  • For a winter crossing, I assume that the magrodome will be used to cover the Pavilion Pool on Deck 12.  Is that area heated, or is the pool and lido area still too cold to use for swimming purposes in the winter even with the dome in place?
  • Cunard’s dress code allows men to wear tuxedos or dark suits on Gala nights; can anyone share observations as to the ratio of tuxedos to dark suits they’ve seen on a winter crossing?  (I realize there are lots of opinions on this...I'm specifically interested in any observations).
  • Is Queen Mary 2 still a “RMS”?  Or did it lose the designation upon re-flagging in Bermuda (or for other reasons)?
  • I understand that tea time is popular and that I should arrive early for doors to open.  Are certain days of the crossing busier than others?
  • I’m used to Carnival ships which have very long waits for lifts.  Do the lifts typically have a long wait on QM2 (aside from embarkation and debarkation, of course)?
  • I understand the room service is complementary.  Is tipping for room service typically done in cash, or is there a method where it is handled via the voyage card?
  • I realize that Cunard often has maritime historians for the Cunard Insights series.  While I understand that specific speakers are not announced ahead of time (aside from themed sailings), is one of the speakers generally of a maritime background on most or all crossings, or only some of them?
  • While I realize my embarkation time will be assigned at check-in (and that they may allow me on sooner if I arrive and “join the line” sooner, but no guarantees), what are the typical earliest and latest embarkation time assignments for an on-time sailing from Brooklyn?
  • Assuming an on-time arrival, what are the earliest and latest typical debarkation times at Southampton when one can carry their own luggage off?

Thanks again for any information!

Edited by Aoumd
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
  • I plan to do my own laundry on this crossing.  I understand that the self-service launderettes are busy.  Is there a particular time of day, or deck, where there is less demand on the launderettes?  
    Busiest in the mornings, least busy during evening dining time and later. I suspect 15:00 hrs may be not-too-bad overall. But it's not usually so bad that all machines are used. The higher decks can be less busy, there's just fewer staterooms on some decks.
  • Cunard’s dress code allows men to wear tuxedos or dark suits on Gala nights; can anyone share observations as to the ratio of tuxedos to dark suits they’ve seen on a winter crossing?  (I realize there are lots of opinions on this...I'm specifically interested in any observations).
    It varies a lot from Crossing to Crossing. In Britannia I would suggest 70% tuxedo/DJ, 20% dark suit, 5% other but broadly within the dress code (e.g. kilts) and 5% not bothering with dress code in any obvious way. 
  • Is Queen Mary 2 still a “RMS”?  Or did it lose the designation upon re-flagging in Bermuda (or for other reasons)?
    Yes, you still see some Royal Mail loaded from time to time at Southampton.
  • I understand that tea time is popular and that I should arrive early for doors to open.  Are certain days of the crossing busier than others?
    It's more popular on the first few days, but towards the end of the Crossing you can turn up on time. If it does get too busy they quickly rope in Britannia restaurant as an overflow area. 10-15 minutes early gets you a choice of seats.
  • I’m used to Carnival ships which have very long waits for lifts.  Do the lifts typically have a long wait on QM2 (aside from embarkation and debarkation, of course)?
    I've never noticed this as an issue, I guess it depends if you are impatient or not.
  • I understand the room service is complementary.  Is tipping for room service typically done in cash, or is there a method where it is handled via the voyage card?
    It's best done in cash. There are a few things which are charged, like alcohol and caviar, so you then get a bill to sign, and can add a tip there. But for non-chargeable items there isn't a bill. You don't have to tip at all, it's included in the Hotel Service Charge.
  • I realize that Cunard often has maritime historians for the Cunard Insights series.  While I understand that specific speakers are not announced ahead of time (aside from themed sailings), is one of the speakers generally of a maritime background on most or all crossings, or only some of them?
    Yes, there's is often one such speaker, though I don't think it's guaranteed. 
  • While I realize my embarkation time will be assigned at check-in (and that they may allow me on sooner if I arrive and “join the line” sooner, but no guarantees), what are the typical earliest and latest embarkation time assignments for an on-time sailing from Brooklyn? 
    It's broadly in the 12:30 to 16:00 hrs area, but a number of recent Crossing have had to start boarding late. It's easier if you are later to board, less queues.
  • Assuming an on-time arrival, what are the earliest and latest typical debarkation times at Southampton when one can carry their own luggage off?

It will be usually 06:45 hrs or 07:00 hrs as advertised, but on Fast Track they sometimes open up a few minutes before that.  

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Pushpit said:
    Busiest in the mornings, least busy during evening dining time and later. I suspect 15:00 hrs may be not-too-bad overall. But it's not usually so bad that all machines are used. The higher decks can be less busy, there's just fewer staterooms on some decks.
    It varies a lot from Crossing to Crossing. In Britannia I would suggest 70% tuxedo/DJ, 20% dark suit, 5% other but broadly within the dress code (e.g. kilts) and 5% not bothering with dress code in any obvious way. 
    Yes, you still see some Royal Mail loaded from time to time at Southampton.
    It's more popular on the first few days, but towards the end of the Crossing you can turn up on time. If it does get too busy they quickly rope in Britannia restaurant as an overflow area. 10-15 minutes early gets you a choice of seats.
    I've never noticed this as an issue, I guess it depends if you are impatient or not.
    It's best done in cash. There are a few things which are charged, like alcohol and caviar, so you then get a bill to sign, and can add a tip there. But for non-chargeable items there isn't a bill. You don't have to tip at all, it's included in the Hotel Service Charge.
    Yes, there's is often one such speaker, though I don't think it's guaranteed. 
    It's broadly in the 12:30 to 16:00 hrs area, but a number of recent Crossing have had to start boarding late. It's easier if you are later to board, less queues.

It will be usually 06:45 hrs or 07:00 hrs as advertised, but on Fast Track they sometimes open up a few minutes before that.  

Thank you Pushpit for your comprehensive responses!  This is most helpful!

• Like 2

Regarding lifts - You will find the tonnage to passenger ratio on QM2 higher than any cruise ship you may have been on. That means more space around the ship. The lifts, corridors, and public rooms are not as busy or packed as you might worry. (ok, the Golden Lion Pub gets pretty busy and as mentioned, the afternoon tea is busy the first few days). 

Please note too that you will get lost, no matter how much you study the deck plans. Hint: think of moving around the ship via Stairwells A,B,C,D and not via the deck perspective. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, NE John said:

Regarding lifts - You will find the tonnage to passenger ratio on QM2 higher than any cruise ship you may have been on. That means more space around the ship. The lifts, corridors, and public rooms are not as busy or packed as you might worry. (ok, the Golden Lion Pub gets pretty busy and as mentioned, the afternoon tea is busy the first few days). 

Please note too that you will get lost, no matter how much you study the deck plans. Hint: think of moving around the ship via Stairwells A,B,C,D and not via the deck perspective. 

Thanks!  I got to tour QM2 with a group for an event in Brooklyn in 2009 or so, and realize there are entire parts of the ship I never got to see (e.g. Queens Room and G32) because I did not use the correct stairs/lifts.  Looking forward to seeing them, and seeing the entire ship in her element on this crossing!

My last cruise was on Carnival Venezia which has 10% fewer GRT but had nearly double the passengers with nearly every 3rd and 4th berth filled during summer break.  My family had a great time — my son absolutely loves Carnival’s youth program — but with 5,000 passengers on a 135,000 ton ship with 15 decks and 16 elevators, even Carnival’s new “smart” elevator system could not prevent waits of five or ten full minutes for lifts to go up 10+ decks.  Glad to hear that QM2 does not have that problem…

Edited by Aoumd
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Aoumd said:

•  
  •  

Launderettes - DH and I laughed at the launderette use. Our cabin was two doors down from the deck 6 laundry. The first morning, we awoke to some chatting outside our door. Yes, the folks who wanted to do laundry were lined up in the corridor (I think it opened at 7:30?) Same for all the following days. We found that midday worked for us.

Maritime historians - On our second TA, we were fortunate enough to have Bill Miller, "Mr. Ocean Liner," as one of our Insights speakers. It wasn't announced ahead of time through Cunard, but I think Bill had it on his personal FB page. I can definitely state that Bill has his followers in touch and booking his sailings. He's the only maritime speaker we've had.

I can say that we've never been disappointed in Insights speakers, no matter the subject.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

Launderettes - DH and I laughed at the launderette use. Our cabin was two doors down from the deck 6 laundry. The first morning, we awoke to some chatting outside our door. Yes, the folks who wanted to do laundry were lined up in the corridor (I think it opened at 7:30?) Same for all the following days. We found that midday worked for us.

Maritime historians - On our second TA, we were fortunate enough to have Bill Miller, "Mr. Ocean Liner," as one of our Insights speakers. It wasn't announced ahead of time through Cunard, but I think Bill had it on his personal FB page. I can definitely state that Bill has his followers in touch and booking his sailings. He's the only maritime speaker we've had.

I can say that we've never been disappointed in Insights speakers, no matter the subject.

Great to hear!  When I was a member of the World Ship Society in NYC before moving to the DC area for work some years back, I used to get to meet and listen to Bill Miller (and Ted Scull, and even the late great John Maxtone-Graham) among others regularly at lectures on land, and they were great.  I also understand that Chris Frame sometimes lectures on QM2 — his YouTube channel is excellent.  Curious who my crossing will feature.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aoumd said:

When I was a member of the World Ship Society in NYC before moving to the DC area for work some years back, I used to get to meet and listen to Bill Miller (and Ted Scull, and even the late great John Maxtone-Graham) among others regularly at lectures on land, and they were great.  I also understand that Chris Frame sometimes lectures on QM2 — his YouTube channel is excellent.  Curious who my crossing will feature.

Sad that I never got to hear Maxtone-Graham - he would have been wonderful. My dad bought me "The Only Way to Cross" in 1972 and it's still my favorite ocean liner book - right next to "A Night to Remember."

I'd suggest trying to find those that interest you on sites like Facebook - maybe they have their schedules posted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

Sad that I never got to hear Maxtone-Graham - he would have been wonderful. My dad bought me "The Only Way to Cross" in 1972 and it's still my favorite ocean liner book - right next to "A Night to Remember."

I'd suggest trying to find those that interest you on sites like Facebook - maybe they have their schedules posted.

I was privileged to have him on two sailings.  First was in 2002, inaugural cruise/crossing of Star Princess, Singapore to LA.  Second was in 2008 on QE2.  In between he had moved from a slide show to power point presentation.  EM

I have never had a Maritime Historian or Architect giving an Insights talk. The nearest was the lovely Maureen Ryan who I have heard twice on different sailings. What I will say is over the years I have been to a wide range of talks on a huge range of topics. Sadly some of the space ones have gone over my head but still vey enjoyable. The poorest was a lady giving a wellness talk about heathy eating and limiting or cutting out certain food stuffs and food groups. Read the room and your audience came to mind. It didn’t help her slides for the presentation had spelling and grammar mistakes. Call me old fashioned but that’s a big no from me. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I should point out that I did not answer this question from the OP, since I've never used that pool. So it would be good to have some answers here. But I know the pool is covered during Crossings and is reasonably popular. Some also use the outdoor heated Terrace and Minnows (more for children) pools, both of which are wider and longer, but in poor weather they are closed off.

10 hours ago, Aoumd said:
  • For a winter crossing, I assume that the magrodome will be used to cover the Pavilion Pool on Deck 12.  Is that area heated, or is the pool and lido area still too cold to use for swimming purposes in the winter even with the dome in place?
Edited by Pushpit
  • Thanks 1

The pool on deck 12 is heated, and there are two hot tubs also. Its freshwater.

There are always people using the deck chairs / loungers for reading, or relaxing after a swim, but its never really crowded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Pavilion Pool is a lovely area to relax in, and is warm enough to be in out of the pool/ hot tubs without getting chilled. Even when you look up and see it lashing down with rain.Only disappointment was no coffee available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks everyone for your wonderful information!  I am looking forward to a great trip that will be made that much better thanks to your help!

• Like 3

Our recent crossing featured maritime archeologist Mensun Bound who among other accomplishments co-led the expedition to search for Shackleton's Endurance.  Unfortunately he was not able to share many photos because National Geographic has the rights to them for a documentary they are producing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to add a question (my 1st Crossing w/Cunard is next year): while waiting to board, is there wheelchair assistance?

I am "older" w/serious mobility issues.  I'll be renting an electric scooter for the crossings, but I don't yet know if I'll get it at the pier or in my cabin.  I mostly cruise w/Princess & always have WC assistance as soon as I arrive. I don't mind waiting, but I can't stand for but a few minutes.

THANKS!

One more follow-up question from me as well: How does the time change get handled on eastbound TA crossings?  I'm on an 8-day crossing, which days typically have the time change, and is the jump ahead one hour typically done during the day or at night?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Midday become 13:00 hrs on the relevant days. If going on to Hamburg it then changes by a further hour in the middle of the night that you leave Southampton. Not sure about which days on an 8 night crossing, I've never had one more than 7 nights, but they would avoid the first and last days. It also depends a bit on date, since sometimes the gap between UK and USA Eastern is only 4 hours.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2024 at 6:24 PM, nybumpkin said:

We were lucky enough to have John Maxtone-Graham and His Wife Mary give daily lectures on 3 different crossings.   They would absolutely pack the theater every lecture.   While everyone knows John -  Mary would make cameo appearances on stage in period dress and was absolutely delightful to meet and talk with.

I'd be interested to see evidence that QM2 has carried mail, Royal or otherwise, on her now somewhat irregular crossings, other than passengers' postcards.  Indeed, I have never seen any document by Cunard using "R.M.S." as a prefix.  When QE2 came out, Cunard discouraged use of the prefix and she did carry mail as they thought it sounded "old fashioned". But menus, etc., printed aboard referred to as "R.M.S. QUEEN ELIZABETH 2" and I have not see QUEEN MARY 2 similarily referenced. 

I believe she may have been "conferred" R.M.S. by the Post Office as a honorary tribute but the last true overseas Royal Mail liner was ST. HELENA (II).  She flew the Royal Mail pennant, too, franked her own mail and carried all classes of mail and parcel post.  When I briefly served in R.M.S. ST. HELENA (I) she did as well of course.  We really did carry mail and "R.M.S." was not some honorary title but her reason for being. Most of our first class mail for the island was flown into Ascension Island and loaded there for the three-day run south to St. Helena. 

9 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

I'd like to add a question (my 1st Crossing w/Cunard is next year): while waiting to board, is there wheelchair assistance?

I am "older" w/serious mobility issues.  I'll be renting an electric scooter for the crossings, but I don't yet know if I'll get it at the pier or in my cabin.  I mostly cruise w/Princess & always have WC assistance as soon as I arrive. I don't mind waiting, but I can't stand for but a few minutes.

THANKS!

If you're travelling West you'll be boarding in Southampton and disabled assistance is superb assuming of course, you've registered for assistance and have automatically filled in the assistance required form online and booked an appropriate cabin if using an electric scooter.

• Thanks 1

With regards to the time change issue,we have done an Eastbound with P&O where the clocks went forward at 0200hrs & recently one with Royal Caribbean where the time change was at 1400hrs.

IMO the former seemed far more sensible as you don't even notice it,doing it at 1400hrs was,again IMO,a real pain,we were on early fixed dining & losing the hour in the afternoon brought Dinner uncomfortably close to Lunch,also there was a show on in the theatre one afternoon lasting 2 hours which was impossible for us to do & make Dinner,not to mention anyone who had an activity booked for anytime from 1400-1500hrs,what happens to that,does it enter the Twilight Zone?😂😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I'd be interested to see evidence that QM2 has carried mail, Royal or otherwise, on her now somewhat irregular crossings, other than passengers' postcards.  Indeed, I have never seen any document by Cunard using "R.M.S." as a prefix.  When QE2 came out, Cunard discouraged use of the prefix and she did carry mail as they thought it sounded "old fashioned". But menus, etc., printed aboard referred to as "R.M.S. QUEEN ELIZABETH 2" and I have not see QUEEN MARY 2 similarily referenced. 

I believe she may have been "conferred" R.M.S. by the Post Office as a honorary tribute but the last true overseas Royal Mail liner was ST. HELENA (II).  She flew the Royal Mail pennant, too, franked her own mail and carried all classes of mail and parcel post.  When I briefly served in R.M.S. ST. HELENA (I) she did as well of course.  We really did carry mail and "R.M.S." was not some honorary title but her reason for being. Most of our first class mail for the island was flown into Ascension Island and loaded there for the three-day run south to St. Helena. 

From a simple Internet search, it appears that there are currently three ships that have the RMS designation. Queen Mary 2, as you noted, was designated as such in 2004 as a tribute to the RMS services of Cunard through the years. I found nothing that implied she ever actually carried any mail.

The other two ships, which apparently do carry mail, are 

RMS Segwun: A passenger ship in Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada 

RMV Scillonian III: Serves as the mail carrier for the Isles of Scilly

The RMS St. Helena was the fourth remaining ship designated as RMS when she retired from service in 2018. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

From a simple Internet search, it appears that there are currently three ships that have the RMS designation. Queen Mary 2, as you noted, was designated as such in 2004 as a tribute to the RMS services of Cunard through the years. I found nothing that implied she ever actually carried any mail.

The other two ships, which apparently do carry mail, are 

RMS Segwun: A passenger ship in Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada 

RMV Scillonian III: Serves as the mail carrier for the Isles of Scilly

The RMS St. Helena was the fourth remaining ship designated as RMS when she retired from service in 2018. 

Pretty much every website uses Wikipedia's phrasing of, "Queen Mary 2 had the Royal Mail Ship (RMS) prefix conferred on her by the Royal Mail when she entered service in 2004, as a gesture to Cunard's history". However, the source for that appears to be a Royal Mail staff newspaper, which isn't publicly available. I'd be interested to read the full article.

I'm sure I remember a fanfare being made of her carrying mail on her maiden voyages, but my memory is getty very wonky with old age!