Is Lunch Service Typically Offered in MDR during overnight ports of call?

On top of sea days, is lunch service also typically offered in the MDR during an overnight port of call?  And if so, is there a standard on if it's offered on the first day, second day, or both?  I'm mildly curious as we have an overnight again during our upcoming cruise on Silhouette in August.

I think the last overnight we had was a few years ago in Istanbul and I vaguely recall having lunch in the MDR during sailaway (ie second day).  I don't recall if it was offered during the first day.  However, when I look at Silhouette's MDR menu for its current sailing, lunch seems to be offered in the MDR on its first day in Copenhagen but not the second.  

Any insight?

1 minute ago, Milhouse said:

On top of sea days, is lunch service also typically offered in the MDR during an overnight port of call?  And if so, is there a standard on if it's offered on the first day, second day, or both?  I'm mildly curious as we have an overnight again during our upcoming cruise on Silhouette in August.

I think the last overnight we had was a few years ago in Istanbul and I vaguely recall having lunch in the MDR during sailaway (ie second day).  I don't recall if it was offered during the first day.  However, when I look at Silhouette's MDR menu for its current sailing, lunch seems to be offered in the MDR on its first day in Copenhagen but not the second.  

Any insight?

Limited experience but I think both the MDR and Luminae were closed both days at lunch when we had an overnight in the Caribbean but if I remember correctly Sushi on five was open for lunch both days and Lawn Grill day 2 (we were on Reflection).

I think that it could probably be something you won’t get the answer to until you are on board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Any insight?

Typically, the MDR is only open for lunch on sea days not on port days

OP, your vague recollection may be inaccurate. Or perhaps on the second day in Istanbul the ship left port before lunch and that’s why the MDR served lunch that day.

As you are consulting the app for current sailings, keep in mind that the app is notoriously inaccurate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My experience an overnight stay in a port is treated identical to any other port day.  Thus MDR and Luminae are closed.     When the port arrival is around 11 or later they often treat it as a sea day and are open for lunch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was curious too. We’re looking at a Greece and Turkey sailing and theres an overnight, but I think the ship arrives at 2pm on the first day in Istanbul, so I wondered if lunch would be served in the MDR on that day. Maybe the OP is in a similar situation?

My experience with lunch on overnight port days has been varied. Basically, if the second day had a departure before 2 PM, meaning on board was 1:30, Luminae was open. Just the same when arrrival was 1 PM or later. Not sure about the MDR, but I would think it was similar.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mysticbluebmw said:

I was curious too. We’re looking at a Greece and Turkey sailing and theres an overnight, but I think the ship arrives at 2pm on the first day in Istanbul, so I wondered if lunch would be served in the MDR on that day. Maybe the OP is in a similar situation?

TLDR:  Kind of. We're arriving at 11am and there's not much around the port area so I was curious if they might serve lunch in the MDR.  

We're stopping overnight in Le Verdon Sur Mer which is serving as the port for Bordeaux; arriving at 11am and departing at 8pm the next day.  Bordeaux is approximately 2 hours by car/bus each way (and extremely limited DIY options).  We're debating whether to jump an excursion to Bordeaux or save it for a land trip.  Le Verdon Sur Mer is actually a replacement port as the upgrades to dock for the originally scheduled port of Pauillac (which is only about an hour away from Bordeaux) is not ready for Silhouette yet.  Anyways, Le Verdon Sur Mer is pretty difficult port of call as the sightseeing options & logistics are kind of limited in the near vicinity.  So I was curious if there might be lunch in the MDR.

Why not have lunch in the port? I can guarantee there will be some great sea food options! The best bouillabaisse is usually found in these ports, boat to restaurant, no middle man.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 1:48 AM, Milhouse said:

Any insight?

We had two overnight ports during our Dec 2023 Solstice holiday sailing. 

The first one was at Bangkok on Dec 25 and Dec 26. Neither day was lunch served at the MDR (Grand Epernay Restaurant). 

The second one was at Halong Bay on Dec 31 and Jan 1. Lunch was served on the first day (Celebrity Today). Perhaps that was because it was New Year’s Eve. Lunch was not served on the following day. 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

Why not have lunch in the port? I can guarantee there will be some great sea food options! The best bouillabaisse is usually found in these ports, boat to restaurant, no middle man.

for anyone with severe food allergies, it s often risky or difficult for the restaurants off the ship to be safe to eat at.  We ve tried and often told, no guarantee   😕

8 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

for anyone with severe food allergies, it s often risky or difficult for the restaurants off the ship to be safe to eat at.  We ve tried and often told, no guarantee   😕

Totally understand. Even those without any issues still need to be careful. However, to many of us cruising the world trying the local food is part of the experience.

If the OP doesn’t have any food issues then simply finding a local seafood restaurant, perhaps with a nice view could be lovely way to spend part of the day…I don’t know the actual port the OP is mooring at but I am yet to visit a European port that doesn’t have a good fish restaurant…

• Like 2

Hi Milhouse!

There may be enough to keep you occupied at Verdon-sur-Mer:

Holidays in Verdon-sur-Mer : stay and weekend | Médoc Atlantique (medoc-atlantique.co.uk)

I think you may be able to rent a bike which would be great for you but IDK about your DW.

Does Celebrity offer transportation only excursion options to Bordeaux? Or can you rent a car in Verdon and then book a hotel for the night?

I agree with others who've posted re: enjoying the local cuisine while you are there.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Totally understand. Even those without any issues still need to be careful. However, to many of us cruising the world trying the local food is part of the experience.

If the OP doesn’t have any food issues then simply finding a local seafood restaurant, perhaps with a nice view could be lovely way to spend part of the day…I don’t know the actual port the OP is mooring at but I am yet to visit a European port that doesn’t have a good fish restaurant…

Did I miss where the OP or anyone was asking about seafood? Not everyone likes seafood.

42 minutes ago, chemmo said:

agree. I miss not tasting authentic. I do try to get a local cookbook and omit my “foe”.  Sometimes DH will get something and I enjoy a wine and cheese

34 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Did I miss where the OP or anyone was asking about seafood? Not everyone likes seafood.

The OP was initially asking about dining options on board. The answer is usually just the buffet so I was simply suggesting that the best lunchtime food option when moored in a port is in the port. If the OP doesn’t like sea food I am sure there are lots of other options…

22 minutes ago, chemmo said:

The OP was initially asking about dining options on board. The answer is usually just the buffet so I was simply suggesting that the best lunchtime food option when moored in a port is in the port. If the OP doesn’t like sea food I am sure there are lots of other options…

Just curious since the abundant mentioning of seafood restaurants. 🙂

32 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Just curious since the abundant mentioning of seafood restaurants. 🙂

Simply that ports often have an abundance of sea food restaurants!

15 hours ago, mysticbluebmw said:

My experience has been that they are open when you arrive at that time.  

4 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

I'm allergic to shellfish and do not trust ANY restaurant that features fish (that's basically most ports) or any restaurant where I don't speak the language.

We always go back to the ship and eat in the buffet or Mast Grill. Bonus - buffet is often quiet on port days. 

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

Our experience has been that pretty much every port restaurant has fish because, well, they're ports. Once in a blue moon we'll find a sandwich restaurant or something and we may eat there. 

It's really difficult to avoid seafood or shellfish in ports. And if you have an allergy, it's risky to just give things a try. For some people, a trace amount of cross contamination can be extremely serious.

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

Having lunch in port is definitely plan A.  Yes we love seafood.  Identifying lunch options on the ship is just for contingencies.  

We've done some initial research and a few lunch options in Le Verdon Sur Mer (and nearby Soulac Sur Mer) but they all seem to be a minimum 25-30min walk from the port.  Normally, that distance isn't a problem but we're in port at the end of August and are concerned about temperature (and humidity) as there doesn't appear to be much shade along the way. 

I'm also not sure if there are a lot transportation options like taxis/ubers and buses serving the port area.  The ship appears to be over 95% full so those services would likely be in high demand/overwhelmed too.  Previous cruisers on other ships/lines have indicated they were offered a (complementary) shuttle to a nearby town of Soulac Sur Mer but X has yet to indicate if a similar shuttle will be available.  We'll likely grab lunch in Soulac if a shuttle is available.  

If we end up on an excursion down to Bordeaux on day 1, we'll definitely eat in town but we'll still likely need to at least grab a light lunch on the ship as timing is a bit off due to arriving in port at 11am, excursion departure times, and the 2hr ride down.  

On day 2, we have an independent tour (of the local area) leaving the port at 1pm (the only slot we could get).  Not sure if timing will work for grabbing lunch off the ship.