Refund or voucher for future cruise due to cancellation's of Carnival cruise due to sudden illness

36 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Eh... giving refunds in this situation isn't about the sick person, just like jobs giving sick time isn't about the sick person - it's about protecting everyone else.

So just claim you are sick and expect a refund?  I'm sure that won't be abused at all......🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

So just claim you are sick and expect a refund?  I'm sure that won't be abused at all......🙄

No, I assume (like Disney's COVID refund policy) that you would require someone to show testing evidence of an infectious disease.

Personally - if someone can show test results that are positive for COVID, or norovirus, or rotavirus, or any number of other communicable diseases... I'd rather they get a refund and not get on the boat.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, aborgman said:

No, I assume (like Disney's COVID refund policy) that you would require someone to show testing evidence of an infectious disease.

Personally - if someone can show test results that are positive for COVID, or norovirus, or rotavirus, or any number of other communicable diseases... I'd rather they get a refund and not get on the boat.

I’d say yes for COVID and flu, we’ve had dozens of stomach bugs here, do doctors even test? Had the rotavirus here several times, I diagnosed it because it lasted close to two weeks. Not fun.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’d say yes for COVID and flu, we’ve had dozens of stomach bugs here, do doctors even test? Had the rotavirus here several times, I diagnosed it because it lasted close to two weeks. Not fun.

Doctors SHOULD be testing any relatively large outbreaks of any significant stomach bug outbreaks - because it COULD be a food poisoning outbreak that needs to be reported to state/local health authorities.

...and you could always ask a doctor to test - all of the things involved (norovirus, rotavirus, e. coli, etc.) can be detected in diagnostic tests.

Absent testing I'd guess an adenovirus is more likely than rotavirus - rotavirus infection generally last 4-8 days, while adenovirus are symptomatic for 1-2 weeks - and most adults don't get bad rotavirus infections due to built up immunity.

Edited by aborgman

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

This is main reason I think Carnival should at least give me a voucher of some description to use on future cruise.  I bet many people in my situation would have gotten on the cruise anyway, thinking’s they would be better in few days, but then possibly making many other passengers sick.  With fever, I knew I had a contagious GI bug, and did not want to spread it.  This should be worth something.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

Doctors SHOULD be testing any relatively large outbreaks of any significant stomach bug outbreaks - because it COULD be a food poisoning outbreak that needs to be reported to state/local health authorities.

...and you could always ask a doctor to test - all of the things involved (norovirus, rotavirus, e. coli, etc.) can be detected in diagnostic tests.

Absent testing I'd guess an adenovirus is more likely than rotavirus - rotavirus infection generally last 4-8 days, while adenovirus are symptomatic for 1-2 weeks - and most adults don't get bad rotavirus infections due to built up immunity.

Fortunately the adults in tbd house never got it, but the 5 kids did the 1 year old twins had it the worst.

Just now, Upset Carnival Customer said:

This is main reason I think Carnival should at least give me a voucher of some description to use on future cruise.  I bet many people in my situation would have gotten on the cruise anyway, thinking’s they would be better in few days, but then possibly making many other passengers sick.  With fever, I knew I had a contagious GI bug, and did not want to spread it.  This should be worth something.

But it’s not, because folks wanting to cancel could just go to urgent care, claim vomiting and nausea, and get a note. That’s why insurance is needed (which we always get, but it’s so medical treatment costs can be reimbursed, most health insurance is only good in the US).

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

But it’s not, because folks wanting to cancel could just go to urgent care, claim vomiting and nausea, and get a note. That’s why insurance is needed (which we always get, but it’s so medical treatment costs can be reimbursed, most health insurance is only good in the US).

I had more than a claim of nausea and vomiting.  I actually had documented fever with my temperature measured by the urgent care health staff.

22 hours ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

flew to Miami the evening of June 29 to board Carnival Celebration on the 30th. Early in morning of 30th in my hotel room I woke up and started vomiting and had chills and fever. I felt terrible, so I called Carnival customer service, and a nice lady told me to go to urgent care and then email Carnival the medical records, and maybe they would either refund the cost of my cruise, or issue a voucher for a future cruise. I went to urgent care and was diagnosed with a gastrointestinal viral illness. I stayed in Miami in a hotel for 3 additional nights, before I felt like flying back home. I submitted the medical records to Carnival and they offered me nothing! I was shocked as I have been on past Carnival cruises. I could have tried taking Tylenol and getting on the ship anyway, but I knew I was contagious, and wanted to be a good citizen and not make other passengers sick, as GI viruses often spread rapidly on a cruise ship. I am so disappointed in Carnival as I thought they would at least issue some type of voucher for a future cruise. I doubt I will ever set foot on another Carnival cruise ship in the future.

If you paid for the cruise with a credit card some of them have some covered travel benefits. I did find the only cards of my cards that offer this is one where I pay a yearly fee.

16 minutes ago, Mommapadraig said:

If you paid for the cruise with a credit card some of them have some covered travel benefits. I did find the only cards of my cards that offer this is one where I pay a yearly fee.

That is a good thought!  I will check as I did use a travel card.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

I had more than a claim of nausea and vomiting.  I actually had documented fever with my temperature measured by the urgent care health staff.

I realize that, but you can also have a virus that doesn’t cause a fever, those folks shouldn’t travel either (I know I would not).

45 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

All lines work under the same premise.  Insurance, insurance, insurance.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

did you use a TA or pvp?

Personal responsibility, you chose not to get insurance and paid the price for that decision. Not Carnivals fault. They owe you nothing. I suspect they will not miss you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

OP should be getting back their taxes and fees, and anything else they paid for. (excursions, drink packages, computer time, etc.). As far as cruise fare is concerned - nope.  SOL.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

The only "should" here is you should have bought travel insurance.  With your contagious bug, did you remain quarantined for the following 14 days? That virus shreds for up to 14 days. Actually, you chose to board an airplane while you were still contagious. Did you notify everyone and every place you came in contact with the proceeding 48 hours?    

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 8

So we pay for travel insurance for all of our cruises to be covered for circumstances like the OP's (plus more), and the OP, who didn't purchase insurance wants to be fully reimbursed? Sorry that the OP got sick, but no, no, no, no, and no!! 😣

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pyrate13 said:

Personal responsibility, you chose not to get insurance and paid the price for that decision. Not Carnivals fault. They owe you nothing. I suspect they will not miss you.

Wonder how Carnival would feel if someone who is sick gets on board (rather than doing the responsible thing I did by not boarding) and the GI virus spreads through 100 or 200 passengers during the week, and Carnival gets wonderful publicity in national news about a gastrointestinal virus spreading on the trip?  Maybe they might reward people who do the right thing, that potentially saves them a lot problems? 

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

So we pay for travel insurance for all of our cruises to be covered for circumstances like the OP's (plus more), and the OP, who didn't purchase insurance wants to be fully reimbursed? Sorry that the OP got sick, but no, no, no, no, and no!! 😣

I didn’t say fully reimbursed.  A gesture on their part of a voucher of some value towards a future cruise, recognizing I did right thing by not boarding the ship with a contagious virus.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

Wonder how Carnival would feel if someone who is sick gets on board (rather than doing the responsible thing I did by not boarding) and the GI virus spreads through 100 or 200 passengers during the week, and Carnival gets wonderful publicity in national news about a gastrointestinal virus spreading on the trip?  Maybe they might reward people who do the right thing, that potentially saves them a lot problems? 

You did the responsible thing by not boarding. If you had also done the responsible thing and bought the insurance you could have been reimbursed. 😎

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

You mean like the usual headlines about noroviruses on cruise ships?  No regular cruiser cares and no non cruiser is "Woo, there hasn't been a story I saw abut Noroviruses, I should book a cruise".  

Also, national news?  How about a national story about a person who boarded an airplane while contagious?  Neither are national news.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, aborgman said:

Actually - all cancellations put together (not just due to illness) only account for about 25% of travel insurance claims.

Trip Cancellation: 25%

Emergency Medical: 24% 

Travel Delay: 14%

Trip Interruption: 13%

Missed Connection: 9%

Cancel For Any Reason: 6%

Baggage Loss: 5%

Baggage Delay: 4%

Medical Evacuation: <1%

Might only be 24%, but that's the largest percentage of any other reason in the list other than "trip cancellation" (which could technically be anything).. 

But my point still stands.

32 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

News about viruses on board is nothing new, been around for years and sure doesn't seem to stop people from cruising, so really a moot point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

News about viruses on board is nothing new, been around for years and sure doesn't seem to stop people from cruising, so really a moot point.

No it’s not a moot point if you want to try to keep people crowded in close confines on a shop from getting sick!  People who know they are sick and contagious should stay away! 😂