LGBTQ Friendly?

exeter_acres

Just curious....  may be bringing our adult child on an Insignia cruise later this year.  Curious how "friendly" Oceania is to the LGBTQ community?
Not that I would expect any issues.... but I know some lines tend to have a few more LGBTQ folks that travel with them so they have get togethers, meet ups etc.

Do Oceania cruises have anything like that, or would our child be kinda on their own?

We can make it a great trip no matter what but just would be nice if they had someone that they could hang out with, etc. etc. 

• Like 1

I've only been on one Oceania cruise and there were no specialized meet-ups for anybody.  These are more common on the larger ships, other cruise lines.  However, I can't say that I've cruised in recent years without chatting with LGBTQ passengers.  We were on the Regatta last summer and the cruise director/ performer was a community member.  Everybody seemed to be enjoying everybody's company, but unless it's different on the larger ships, no formal meet-ups.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exeter_acres said:

would our child be kinda on their own?

I cannot recall any specific meet-ups being advertised in the daily Currents, on our last two cruises (Vista & Nautica). But then I wasnt looking for them so may have missed a mention. 

The lack of LGBTQ contacts on board may not be the most significant issue for them in terms of company. Oceania cruisers tend to be older people - I'd guess most of us are retirees. As such, someone from a younger generation, even though adult, may feel a bit isolated by the age difference (obviously depending on several factors, including their own actual age). 

• Like 2

We are a married gay couple and have found almost all people on Oceania cruises to to be friendly and welcoming (with a very few exceptions but no outright homophobia). That said, you won't see as many LGBTQ people on Oceania as you would on Celebrity and certainly not as many as on Virgin Voyages. Both Celebrity and Virgin celebrate LGBTQ guests and Virgin also celebrates its LGBTQ staff, which are "out and proud." (Unfortunately, I don't like the Virgin ships otherwise.) I would expect your child to be comfortably unjudged but not necessarily to find others to hang out with. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Harters said:

I cannot recall any specific meet-ups being advertised in the daily Currents, on our last two cruises (Vista & Nautica). But then I wasnt looking for them so may have missed a mention. 

The lack of LGBTQ contacts on board may not be the most significant issue for them in terms of company. Oceania cruisers tend to be older people - I'd guess most of us are retirees. As such, someone from a younger generation, even though adult, may feel a bit isolated by the age difference (obviously depending on several factors, including their own actual age). 

Thanks for the insight...  this is part of their decision process...  we have "warned" them that this is a bit of an "older" crowd... they get along with all age groups but that could certainly be an issue...  being the only 20something in the crowd can be "boring"  

We have already set that expectation.. thanks for that heads up!

14 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

We are a married gay couple and have found almost all people on Oceania cruises to to be friendly and welcoming (with a very few exceptions but no outright homophobia). That said, you won't see as many LGBTQ people on Oceania as you would on Celebrity and certainly not as many as on Virgin Voyages. Both Celebrity and Virgin celebrate LGBTQ guests and Virgin also celebrates its LGBTQ staff, which are "out and proud." (Unfortunately, I don't like the Virgin ships otherwise.) I would expect your child to be comfortably unjudged but not necessarily to find others to hang out with. 

Great insight... another line that we have sailed is Cunard and they have a very welcoming atmosphere as well.... 

Thanks!

Just back from a cruise on Marina and there was a LGBTQIA+ get together every 2-3 days alternating with solos.usually at 5.30 or 6.30. I don’t know how well attended the events were but there were quite a few same sex couples on board.

We travel "O" and have never had a problem.  Yes they to have get togethers, usually in one of the bar areas.  We find cruises on "O" very acceptable - we meet others on the ship, some gay some not (really who cares if they are reasonable people.  I'd be more worried about the age than being gay.  Most people cruise for what a cruise has to offer, and "O" has what we enjoy.  If clubing is what they want--look for a party ship.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, gaeltrav said:

Just back from a cruise on Marina and there was a LGBTQIA+ get together every 2-3 days alternating with solos.usually at 5.30 or 6.30. I don’t know how well attended the events were but there were quite a few same sex couples on board.

We also just disembarked Marina last month and agree with your comments.

4 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

comfortably unjudged is a phrase I shall incorporate in my future lexicon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Harters said:

As such, someone from a younger generation, even though adult, may feel a bit isolated by the age difference (obviously depending on several factors, including their own actual age). 

It depends on the "youngster."  I have two adult grandchildren.  One is a collector of vinyl and has an extensive knowledge of "old" music.  He loves to discuss the oldies with people who were actually there.  🙂  The other one considers himself a bit of sports historian and is happy to discuss the teams and games of yore with his grandfather.  Besides, if the ship has WiFi, the "kids" can always entertain themselves.  🙂  

• Like 2

Tat photo of the "Currents" is eye opening for me.  That is SO MUCH more than what was scheduled when we were on the Regatta last summer, maybe because we were in Alaska and we had a naturalist?

We sailed on Oceania last summer (wow!, already more than a year ago) with our 4 (semi) adult kids (late teens to early 20's).  As @ronrick1943 and @Harters said, there may be more concern about age.  

There were a few (10's) of people there age and a fewer number younger than they were. All guests were quite friendly, so from a general meeting of people there should not be any problems at all.

2 hours ago, taiwan_girl said:

We sailed on Oceania last summer (wow!, already more than a year ago) with our 4 (semi) adult kids (late teens to early 20's).  As @ronrick1943 and @Harters said, there may be more concern about age.  

There were a few (10's) of people there age and a fewer number younger than they were. All guests were quite friendly, so from a general meeting of people there should not be any problems at all.

You know people get to worked up about this, they need to settle down and enjoy the cruise.  Stop the worry about who's on the ship and enjoy the cruise.  If you look for trouble sooner or later you'll find it.  That said I do get tired of some of the older drunks later in the evening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Kay S said:

It depends on the "youngster."  I have two adult grandchildren.  One is a collector of vinyl and has an extensive knowledge of "old" music.  He loves to discuss the oldies with people who were actually there.  🙂  The other one considers himself a bit of sports historian and is happy to discuss the teams and games of yore with his grandfather.  Besides, if the ship has WiFi, the "kids" can always entertain themselves.  🙂  

He would probably like a t shirt I have that says. “I may be old but I got to see the cool bands”

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

56 minutes ago, ORV said:

“I may be old but I got to see the cool bands”

I do like to brag that I saw the Beatles play at the ABC at Ardwick, Manchester. Although, in truth, I cannot recall if it was the 1964 or 1965 gig.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Thanks all for the great insight...  our child is 25....  and we have discussed the age demographic of the ship.....   hasn't decided yet if going or if can even get the time off work but ya'll have helped...

Thank you

On 9/3/2024 at 11:17 AM, ORV said:

In Nautica’s Currents today. 

IMG_1328.jpeg

I’m just back from Sirena, and the schedule in Currents was similar. I was in the solo group, led by a social hostess/performer, and she happened to mention that a male performer was very involved with the LGTBQIA+ group.

• Like 1

We attended the LGBT gatherings on our last cruise on Riviera (2 years ago now). They were hosted by the entertainment team who made up about half the attendees. It was a lot of fun and it was a good opportunity to hear a bit more about ship board life for the crew and entertainment team.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 1:36 PM, ronrick1943 said:

We travel "O" and have never had a problem.  Yes they to have get togethers, usually in one of the bar areas.  We find cruises on "O" very acceptable - we meet others on the ship, some gay some not (really who cares if they are reasonable people.  I'd be more worried about the age than being gay.  Most people cruise for what a cruise has to offer, and "O" has what we enjoy.  If clubing is what they want--look for a party ship.

Totally agree that it is more a generational decision than a sexual orientation one.  I would think if the cruise is port intensive, as most Oceana cruises are, the “nightlife” onboard is secondary as we typically have dinner, see the theater show and if we have any gas left listen to the band upstairs for awhile.   

• Like 1

We are a Male Couple that have been together for 37 years,  so I guess we will fall into the Senior Population. 

When we first started sailing Celebrity in 2000 we really felt more comfortable traveling with a Gay Group by a major gay travel agency.  Times were different then and we were concerned about being uncomfortable  seated at a table of red necks.  That of course never happened and I have to say we have always felt welcomed by everyone we have ever met on a a cruise.

Times have changed dramatically and I have to say we virtually never attend a LGBTQ event.     We have met so many really nice people gay, straight, young or old.   Many of these have become lifelong friends. 

As a matter of fact I just got a text from a couple we met in April saying they were excited about our upcoming Oceania Cruise and would be following our live blog.

I really think the OP's son  will have a wonderful time if he is engaging and interested in meeting others regardless of the demographics.   There are really so many interesting people on every cruise we have done.. as well as some that we chose to distance ourselves from.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are a Male Couple that have been together for 37 years,  so I guess we will fall into the Senior Population. 

When we first started sailing Celebrity in 2000 we really felt more comfortable traveling with a Gay Group by a major gay travel agency.  Times were different then and we were concerned about being uncomfortable  seated at a table of red necks.  That of course never happened and I have to say we have always felt welcomed by everyone we have ever met on a a cruise.

Times have changed dramatically and I have to say we virtually never attend a LGBTQ event.     We have met so many really nice people gay, straight, young or old.   Many of these have become lifelong friends. 

As a matter of fact I just got a text from a couple we met in April saying they were excited about our upcoming Oceania Cruise and would be following our live blog.

I really think the OP's son  will have a wonderful time if he is engaging and interested in meeting others regardless of the demographics.   There are really so many interesting people on every cruise we have done.. as well as some that we chose to distance ourselves from.

Leveraging what you state a positive of cruising in general and cruising a premier line like Oceana is your fellow passengers share a love for this type of travel, seeing now places, enjoying fine dining, etc. so there are lots of opportunities to connect on various levels.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IDL said:

Leveraging what you state a positive of cruising in general and cruising a premier line like Oceana is your fellow passengers share a love for this type of travel, seeing now places, enjoying fine dining, etc. so there are lots of opportunities to connect on various levels.  

Have to agree.  

One thing I  have noticed is that when on a cruise most guests are very engaging and at least say good morning or nod when you pass them.   

I walk 10 miles a day and it's amazing how many people even when you say hello just walk by like zombies.   Having said that I think a greeting can be contagious and many that I pass on a daily basis now greet me with a smile and acknowledgement. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Have to agree.  

One thing I  have noticed is that when on a cruise most guests are very engaging and at least say good morning or nod when you pass them.   

I walk 10 miles a day and it's amazing how many people even when you say hello just walk by like zombies.   Having said that I think a greeting can be contagious and many that I pass on a daily basis now greet me with a smile and acknowledgement. 

Funny, I powerwalk every other morning in my community and hence see familiar faces all the time (walking, running, dog

walking, cycling) that I recognize from walking and always say good morning, nod or wave but many of them that is my only point of interaction and I don’t even know their names.