Help with Verizon text messaging moving to Google Messenger - onboard wifi doesn't work

rhobbkf

Verizon just announced they are doing away with their message platform and recommend going to Google.  I am currently onboard and so I switched.  However, Google keeps telling me it can't send texts because I'm in airplane mode.  So I switched back to the Verizon messanger (it's live until 11/1) and all my texts went through.  I searched online and it seems the Google text platform doesn't work on wifi.  This will really impact us during cruising if we can't text.  This isn't a specific Princess issue, but I thought maybe some of the techies on here might be able to help.  Thank you!!

• Thanks 1

Not a techie, but I use(d) Google Messages without issue in August aboard Princess while in airplane mode.  Just ensure the phone's WiFi Calling feature is setup while still connected to cell network first.  Texts / calls over WiFi worked perfectly.  

Alternative option is to use another messaging tool with certain people such as WhatsApp, Signal, Facebook Messenger, etc. over the WiFi network.

I have wifi calling on. I have airplane mode on. All I have is my experience, where I texted and got the message about airplane mode. Waited half an hour and nothing, so switched back to vz and immediately got messages sent and received. I'll switch back to google and screen shot the message.

I've had off and on issues in the past couple of years with wi-fi calling and text messaging. I finally switched to WhatsApp and have found that to work REALLY well. The only downside is that whoever you are trying to contact needs to have WhatsApp as well. Once you have it setup though it does work without any hassle.

6 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

also recommend whatsapp as another good option.

At home our default messaging app is Google.  However, while traveling we mainly use Whatsapp, it works great. 

Edited by LACruiser88

I always had issues with text using my Samsung Galaxy (all later models) when the rest of my group all had iPhones.  It wasn't until I discovered that the default Samsung text messaging app was the issue.  When I switched over to Google Messages (with WiFi Calling TURNED ON) that I immediately was able to participate in the group chats.  Who knew?  I don't know what the issue with the Samsung app is but I've never looked back.

(You absolutely DO have to have WiFi Calling enabled, at least on Android.  Set it up at home and test it before leaving!)

6 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I always had issues with text using my Samsung Galaxy (all later models) when the rest of my group all had iPhones.  It wasn't until I discovered that the default Samsung text messaging app was the issue.  When I switched over to Google Messages (with WiFi Calling TURNED ON) that I immediately was able to participate in the group chats.  Who knew?  I don't know what the issue with the Samsung app is but I've never looked back.

(You absolutely DO have to have WiFi Calling enabled, at least on Android.  Set it up at home and test it before leaving!)

I have a samsung phone, but used verizon messaging app.  The google app still is frustrating me, and thankfully, I can switch back to verizon messaging and all my messages come in.  I keep trying because we have a cruise in December and I need the texting to work!  🙂  Thank you to everyone for the suggestions.  I will try them all in a bit after we get back from dinner. 

A second vote for WhatsApp...but the downside to using it is that anybody you wish to communicate with must have it as well.  Not so convenient for you if you're needing comms with a large number of people.  That being said, it works GREAT and even allows voice and video calls.  It allows "cross phone and carrier" communications as long as you have internet.  MANY crew members use it for access back to their families.

• Like 2

Not sure this will assist you however I had a problem logging into the Medallion App.

Went to the desk where they help people connect. Spent about 20 minutes with 3 different people as they could not figure out why I showed OFF SHIP. 

Well finally they realized I had my VPN on and that was blocking the ships WIFI connection. Turned it off, signed in, turned it back on and voila it worked. 

Hope that helps. 

How do you get all your contacts on WhatsApp?  We have 6 kids, 10 grandkids.  LOL. I'll try to migrate them over the next month.  I keep trying to switch to google, but it consistently doesn't send and I have to go back to VZ to get my texts.  Oh well.  Change is good? 

No, I have WhatsApp.  All my contacts don't.  I was hoping somebody knew why Google messenger doesn't send immediately on wifi when my current messenger by VZ does.  I get varying messages on the Google app.  It tells me to turn off airplane mode.  Or the message just sits with a small clock by it and then times out and asks if I want to resend.  Next month I won't have the luxury of switching back to VZ messenger to get my messages to send and receive. 

On 10/4/2024 at 8:22 AM, rhobbkf said:

Verizon just announced they are doing away with their message platform and recommend going to Google.  I am currently onboard and so I switched.  However, Google keeps telling me it can't send texts because I'm in airplane mode.  So I switched back to the Verizon messanger (it's live until 11/1) and all my texts went through.  I searched online and it seems the Google text platform doesn't work on wifi.  This will really impact us during cruising if we can't text.  This isn't a specific Princess issue, but I thought maybe some of the techies on here might be able to help.  Thank you!!

I’m not sure I understand correctly. Are you talking about text messaging? 

4 hours ago, rhobbkf said:

No, I have WhatsApp.  All my contacts don't.  I was hoping somebody knew why Google messenger doesn't send immediately on wifi when my current messenger by VZ does.  I get varying messages on the Google app.  It tells me to turn off airplane mode.  Or the message just sits with a small clock by it and then times out and asks if I want to resend.  Next month I won't have the luxury of switching back to VZ messenger to get my messages to send and receive. 

Simply told grandkids and kids it was messenger or nothing from me.  On board Google messenger keeps turning off.  Doesn't like airplane mode.