Elderly passenger - Muster drill

tmcraine

I am thinking about taking my 80 year old mother on a cruise in the fall. I am a little concerned about what the ship does with a passenger who has trouble taking the stairs, for the muster drill for example. Are they exempt from the drill or does someone assist them in an elevator, or what? Thanks.

My mom is 75 and had several surgeries and cannot do stairs, but they made her, even though we were a half hour away from the scheduled muster drill. We had to go (I can't remember if it was up or down) 3 flights and my mom was exhausted. But we made it through. This next time we will try to go to our station 45 minutes early, and maybe get a seat??:eek:

I traveled a year ago with my 85 yr old grandmother. She did the muster drill - she thought it was "fun" LOL. Does she have one of those nice walkers that is light and has a seat on it? My grandmother does and it worked great - this way whever we were she always had a seat to sit on. She even would just store her cane on the side of it for easy walking. The other thing you might consider is renting a wheelchair for the cruise. My grandmother has her own (she uses it mainly to walk behind) but the ships are big and at times it was nice that she could just sit and I would push her along.

My grandmothers complaint on the ship is that is was too big. She didn't feel like she could wander around alone and be able to find anything. Other than that it was great...she could always go back to the cabin to rest if she wanted to and even in port one day she went back to the ship early because she wasn't feeling well.

Yea, my initial thoughts were what would you/she have done if you had been on Star Princess a few weeks ago.

On Princess passengers with mobility impairments that keep them from handling stairs are asked to notify the purser's office soon after embarkation so that a Princess staff member will be alerted to assist them in the event of an evacuation. I saw several emergency evacuation chairs (that handle staircases) stowed in different part of the Caribbean Princess last week. I'd assume the Carnival does the same.

...I'd assume the Carnival does the same.

I don't have any first hand experience, but judging from the announcements, they do. Everyone is required to participate in the drill. Those with disabilities are encouraged to use the elevators 15 to 20 minutes prior to the drill to get to the deck on which their Muster Station is located. Afterwards they are to contact the Purser to arrange for assistance in case of emergency. Just be sure that when you head down to the deck that your Muster Station is on that you have your Life Jackets with you. They are required.

What would you do with her if the ship was sinking? Leave her in the stateroom? She should know where to go and what to do more than anyone.[/quote

What is the reason for the drill? If you can't make it then you had better get a cabin on the outside deck and hope thats near your muster station. It is required that all perform the drill and should you not and the Coast Guard is on board and finds out I am sure the Cruise line would get a hefty fine. Good luck and hope all turns out fine.

Great suggestions about getting to the muster station early. My poor elderly dad was stampeded in the rush to leave our muster station on Celebrity. He was pushed, tripped on the door sill, and would have fallen if it were not for the crowd of people that held him up. He was trying to keep up with the crowd, but it was more than he could handle.

I recommend NOT trying to leave the muster station with the crowd anxious to get to the dining room before all the food is gone. Take your time, and in 5-10 minutes you'll be able to get back to your cabin without worrying about the crowd!

I now travel with someone with early-onset Alzheimers. We had cruised frequently so he's comfortable with the ship's routine, but the crowds at muster will defintely be stressful for him. We'll go early and wait out the rush after the muster.

You certainly would not want to skip the muster drill - anyone well enough to cruise is well enough to go to the drill. It is mandatory and important for everyone's safety.

Be aware, however, that they do tend to bunch people together. Anyone who is claustrophobic or has difficulty breathing should ask to be moved to the front of the mass of people.

The Carnival staff and officers are sensitive to this. I would recommend stopping by the purser's desk as soon as you board and mentioning your concerns. They should be able to advise.

My Grandma is almost 79 and all we did was leave a little early so we could take the elevators. She's in pretty good shape and doesn't need a wheelchair but her feet aren't in as good shape so she walks more slowly and has more difficulty with long distances. We were luckily on the open lido deck and didn't have to go to the life boats for the drill. It was good to get there early so we could all sit and not be crowded. After the drill, I ran the life jackets back to the room (easier for me at 21 to get through the crowds on the stairs quickly than all three of us even with the three life jackets) and came back to the lido deck for sailaway.

The biggest problem I noticed with Grandma was her memory and a lack of patience. She always seemed to be in a hurry whether it was to get to the tenders (started crowding the people ahead of us when the line was stopped) or getting into the dining room (wanted to wait in the line every night while mom and I were fine with waiting until the crowd went in and then going right in).

Great suggestions about getting to the muster station early. My poor elderly dad was stampeded in the rush to leave our muster station on Celebrity. He was pushed, tripped on the door sill, and would have fallen if it were not for the crowd of people that held him up. He was trying to keep up with the crowd, but it was more than he could handle.

I can't imagine people acting like this. geez, what is the world coming to?

The recommendation of getting there a few minutes before they "blow the whistle" is the best. They usually let you know when it is going to happen. However, I would drop by the Purser's desk just to see if it is going to be on time. Sometimes, things happen and they don't perform the drill at the appointed time. I would imagine 90% of the time they do, but I would not want someone waiting if that 10% hits.

My sister-in-law went with us on the Conquest right after ankle surgery and was in a wheelchair. They told us to use the elevators and be at our muster station before the drill was called. Right before they released the passengers, the crewmember in charge of our section let us go so that we could get on the elevators before the crowd was let out. They will bend over backward for anyone in a wheelchair or that needs assistance with walking.

Nearly 3 years ago my husband's 88-year-old grandmother cruised with my MIL, FIL, daughter and me. At the time the muster station met in one of the lounges and then went up on deck. Granny did go to the lounge but the crew did not make her go up on deck. The crew was more concerned that she understood what was going on. My MIL and FIL did go up on deck so they knew the process, just in case.

My daughter and I were on the other side of the lounge. This was a double surprise for my daughter. First, she knew nothing about the cruise until we turned into the cruise terminal. Second, she had no idea that her grandparents and great-grandmother were on board. We held that surprise until dinner.

Those with disabilities are encouraged to use the elevators 15 to 20 minutes prior to the drill to get to the deck on which their Muster Station is located. quote]

Which is what we were doing, but they refused to let us use the elevator. They told us that day that the elevators were closed 30 minutes before the muster drill. Absolutely no one was allowed to use them. It made for a difficult time, but my mom thought the actual drill it self was fun, it was just hard getting there. And she had forgotten her cane at home! We did not know about letting someone know that she had a mobility problem, so we will this time! Thank you!!!!! :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I cannot imagine someone going on a cruise who has physical limitations. Yes, there are elevators but still overall, a tremendous amount of walking. On our Glory cruise last April, there were lots of people really struggling (from what we could see) in terms of the amount of walking that was necessary on a large cruise ship.

On my last cruise on RCI Explorer I saw a number of people in scooters. They seemed to be having a great time. For anyone with mobility problems this seemed like the way to go. ONe night I did see one parked in the hallway. Actually it was a funny sight, kind of like a parked car.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I cannot imagine someone going on a cruise who has physical limitations.

So what are these people supposed to do? Hold up in there homes until they die? There is absolutely no reason a person with a physical limitation should not cruise. Be it a cane, walker, wheel chair, or scooter, there are plenty of ways for these people to get comfortably around to any part of the ship (with the exception of the jogging track and Funnel Deck, but we'll save that for another thread).

We did not know about letting someone know that she had a mobility problem, so we will this time! Thank you!!!!!

De nada. ;) That is the first time I have ever heard of them shutting the elevators down that far ahead of Muster, but then again I have never cruised with someone with a limitation so I may not have been paying as close of attention as I could have. Next time, I would check with someone to find out what the elevator policy is going to be and plan accordingly. Of course the other option is to do as several others already do and that is to go down about an hour before hand and sip foo foo drinks until the alarm sounds. :D

Hopefully your cabin will be within one deck or so of the drill. I don't do stairs to well either, I can, but it isn't easy. I just start early; take my time and I do not have a problem: NO I an not 80 plus but pretty close to the 70 mark. If she absolutely can't do a flight or two of stairs, follow what others have suggested, go by elevator prior to the drill. NMNIta

Yes, she has to attend the drill. Here is a tip I learned after my poor elderly mother had to manage the stairs with a stampede of people and took the rest of the day to recover. Check where you muster station is first thing then before they shut down the elevators ie before the drill begins (you can ask your room steward what time it will be at) bring the passenger up to the appropriate floor. Have your self a seat close by and order a drink and sit and relax. Wait for the drill announcement and people to gather together. Then when the drill begins you only need to put the jacket on and stand up for a short time.

I want to thank the OP for the question and thank all of you for the answers. I am feeling better already. And when they shut the elevators down a half hour early on the Fantasy, we were very surprised too. My TA had made it a point to make sure that we knew to get there early before the elevators shut down. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again!

I have some knee problems and standing for a long time in one position is hard for me. I made sure that we were amongst the last (without) being late to arrive. I was in the first row and while we were still waiting I was putting my arm on the rail to take some weight off my knee. I would move my arm whenever someone had to pass by. A member of the crew came up and asked me if I was going to be able to stand for another 15/20 minutes. I said "well, I don't have a choice so I'll have to manage". She repeated "can you stand for 15/20 minutes" I said "it will be very difficult". She said "if you cannot stand for 15/20 minutes you can sit inside. I asked if my Dh could come with me and she said "yes". There were quite a few folks sitting. Some with canes, some in wheelchairs.

I would suggest that anyone who has a problem standing for long periods check into this.

Archived