"New" Poseidon...would you see it?

Mmmm...no.

I absolutely will see it. Two words: Kurt Russell. I've loved him since "Follow Me Boys" in the early '60s. I'm wildly jealous of Goldie, of course. ;)

I loved the original and even liked the cheesy remake. (Was that just last spring?) I'm a sucker for disaster pics. (Well, except for ones based on actual events. I hated "Titanic," and I won't be seeing "Flight 93." Just too intense and too early for me.)

Robin

But, of course! We will watch any movie dealing with cruising. Good, bad or indifferent we can get our "ocean fix" vicariously :D .

We are fans of the original and hope this new version isn't too corny, but what the heck. There is a cruise ship in it.

Oh yeah, John & I want to see it. We always watch the original when it's on TV. LOVE Shelley Winters swimming underwater & saving the day!

Unfortunately in our dinky rural little neck of Delaware, there aren't any decent cinemas. Sure there's a small multiplex at a couple of the beaches, but they're full of the tourists. :( Which means we'll probably wait for the DVD.

Q - Will the cruiseships show the film onboard? :eek:

Q - Will the cruiseships show the film onboard? :eek:

When it is ready to hit PPV they probably will. No reason not to. Titanic was shown on all of Hal's ships. :cool:

So now, whenever I see a scary film (which usually involves large bodies of water, and possibly a sinking ship or drowning people...) I have to keep reminding myself...

"It's only a Movie, Brian, it's only a Movie..."

Brian, I hope you told yourself that when you were on the Noordam and sitting at Reverand Scott (hmmm.... I mean Neal's) table. There wasn't by chance a haberdasher, an elderly jewish couple, two kids, a singer, a NYC cop and his wife was there? That table arrangement would scare anyone from cruising!:D

I absolutely will see it. Two words: Kurt Russell.

Robin

You took the words right out of my mouth! I love to watch Kurt on the screen. I've never seen the full version of the original - just bits and pieces when it was on tv so the only thing I have to compare it to is the Mad Magazine version - "The Poopside Down Adventure". :D

Brian, I hope you told yourself that when you were on the Noordam and sitting at Reverand Scott (hmmm.... I mean Neal's) table. There wasn't by chance a haberdasher, an elderly jewish couple, two kids, a singer, a NYC cop and his wife was there? That table arrangement would scare anyone from cruising!:D

LOL!

Oh, that's funny. Thanks for the laugh! I needed it.

The film's premise bothers me. Where did this "rogue wave" come from???How did it build up to that height out in the middle of the North Atlantic?? Was it the result of a meteor impact? Tsunami waves don't do that in the middle of the ocean, you know.

Yes ... I know ... I would ruin the film for others. I'll wait until it comes out on Cable.

I just watched the trailer on the internet.

Sorry ... I don't think I'll watch it even when it comes out on Cable. Yes, it looks like they did a fairly good job with ship design, etc. But ... well ... the premise still bothers me. Besides ... it looks like Richard Dreyfuss is going to be Gene Hackman's the minister-character. YUCK.

Loved the original and just bought the DVD. The TV remake was on the other night and even though they had the same characters, the ship didn't capsize because of a tidal wave, it was due to bombs. I am looking forward to this new movie. It looks like the real thing (if indeed it happened).

LOL!

Oh, that's funny. Thanks for the laugh! I needed it.

The film's premise bothers me. Where did this "rogue wave" come from???How did it build up to that height out in the middle of the North Atlantic?? Was it the result of a meteor impact? Tsunami waves don't do that in the middle of the ocean, you know.

Yes ... I know ... I would ruin the film for others. I'll wait until it comes out on Cable.

Rogue waves are not uncommon...

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/300826p-257523c.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/301073p-257708c.html

Yes, by all means, I'll go see it. Saw the first one and liked it, except for Shelley WINTERS.

Somehow, I don't think it will be showing on the HAL on-board cinemas -- but I could be wrong.

Anyone been on a cruise where they showed the first one on-board?

Rogue waves are not uncommon...

Yes, rogue waves are real ... not common, but real. But a 70 - 80 foot rogue wave fronts (like those which have impacted ships at sea) and what is depicted as capsizing the ship in the Poseidon film are two vastly different things.

What is depicted in the film (or, at least, what I've seen in the trailer for the film) is a wave front significantly taller than the ship ... i.e. 200-300 feet tall. While megatsunami (or "iminami") have been measured as high as 328 feet, they only mount up to such massive heights when they reach the shallow water of a bay or beach. Out in the middle of the ocean such waves will pass UNDER vessels without the ships feeling much of anything.

A meteor impact might cause a 200+ foot wave front in the middle of the ocean. Otherwise ... I can't guess what might.

Hey laugh all you want

Thats the table the only survivors were all seated at in the first film.

How much do you have to tip the maitre'D to get assigned that table? *LOL*:) :) :)

We're definitely going to see it!!! I loved the first one (didn't see the movie version) and I just couldn't stay away.

Frankly, the more outlandish the premise, the better for me. I want it to be unbelievable. I want to be able to think it could never happen because I'm one of those people who just can't say "it's only a movie".

You should have seen me cry all the way through "Eight Below". It was pathetic.:o

We're excited about seeing it. Love going to any cruise-related movies, even "Out to Sea" with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. The week before one cruise, we watched "Titanic."

Hey laugh all you want

Thats the table the only survivors were all seated at in the first film.

How much do you have to tip the maitre'D to get assigned that table? *LOL*:) :) :)

FANTASTIC point! Thanks!!!!!!! :D

I am disturbed, also, by the premise -- sheer fantasy -- seeing this film will definitely not deter me from cruising

If it deters others, then, hmmmmmm.......

Fewer cruisers, ships that are not sold out, great last minute price breaks -- this movie could be a good thing for the addicted cruiser.......

Yes, rogue waves are real ... not common, but real. But a 70 - 80 foot rogue wave fronts (like those which have impacted ships at sea) and what is depicted as capsizing the ship in the Poseidon film are two vastly different things.

What is depicted in the film (or, at least, what I've seen in the trailer for the film) is a wave front significantly taller than the ship ... i.e. 200-300 feet tall. While megatsunami (or "iminami") have been measured as high as 328 feet, they only mount up to such massive heights when they reach the shallow water of a bay or beach. Out in the middle of the ocean such waves will pass UNDER vessels without the ships feeling much of anything.

A meteor impact might cause a 200+ foot wave front in the middle of the ocean. Otherwise ... I can't guess what might.

I was only trying to have some fun....:D

Like many others, I'll see anything that has a ship in it. It doesn't even have to be a cruise ship. I saw the original "Poseidon" when it came out. My first reaction when the house lights came on was I WANT TO GO ON A CRUISE.

I was very disappointed in "Titanic," mainly because of the dumb love story. We watched the Kenneth More version of "A Night to Remember" recently, for about the fifth time. It is by far the best of the ship disaster movies, though not exactly entertaining since it's so harrowing and depicts real people.

We will draw a veil over the recent TV version of "Poseidon." Yes, I watched it. Couldn't help myself.

If the new "Poseidon" is as good as "Das Boot" and "The Perfect Storm," we're in for a good time. Speaking of Kurt Russell, he outdoes Johnny Depp in "Captain Ron," a good Friday night rental that will put you in a good mood for a week.

Mrs Muir

I am disturbed, also, by the premise -- sheer fantasy -- ......

I hate when I'm dense about something, but why does "sheer fantasy" disturb anyone? Half the movies out there are fantasy from someone's brain. I'm sure it won't stop anyone from seeing The DaVinci Code.

.........not to mention at least a dozen other movies that are actually touted as possible reality.

Personally I like to immerse myself in fantasy. I get enough reality every day.:D

The issue is not with "pure fantasy" -- I lead the pack when it comes to supporting fantasy and creativity -- I love it

What I find disturbing is "sheer fantasy" in the guise of reality -- "fear mongering" so to speak -- I place films like "Jaws" in that category -- based on a premise that may remotely, somewhere, sometime, have a basis in experience or fact, and then are contorted into something completely different and ridiculous at that, but present the ideas as if they could happen. As much as I dislike films about disasters like earthquakes, towering infernos, pandemics and dooms day scenarios they at least toy with possible outcomes of a real threat no matter how remote. Something worth at least thinking about or considering though definitely not obsessing over.

Just my opinion.

Archived