Cabin Fever?

fsdj1097

Hello All,

I posted this question on a previous post and then thought maybe I'd start a new thread.

My wife and have 5 previous HAL cruises under our belts, the last 4 have been in either Category SS on Vista Class ships, or VA on the earlier class ships. Our first cruise was a large outside on main deck of the Veendam.

Our first 3 cruise were to the Caribbean, the last 2 were to Alaska.

We have decided that we could cruise twice a year instead of just once a year if we opted for an inside cabin.

My question is directed to those HAL cruisers who have booked Verandah cabins and then booked either inside or fully obstructed outside cabins:

Would you rather cruise once a year and have the verandah, larger cabin, and in the case of the SS cabins the larger bathroom, or cruise more often and settle for smaller, (and darker) accomodations?

Thanks in advance for your replies and experience. ;).

Sam

I haven't sailed HAL, but I can answer the question from my perspective (Princess). We've sailed with inside, outside(obstructed), and balcony. Our best cruise was with the inside cabin. It wasn't the best cruise because of the cabin, but because the ship was smaller (Sun class) and had better service.

On the other hand we had a balcony cabin on the Sapphire and an obstructed outside on its sister ship Diamond, both at the same time of year and both on the same route - so this is an apples to apples comparison. We found no real difference in the experience. In fact, I'd give a slight edge to the trip without the balcony. Why? When we didn't have the balcony, we spent more time on the promenade deck on the steamer chairs. This deck is closer to the water and one views it through bars (rather than Plexiglas panels). So I feel it provides a closer connection to the ocean. It was also cooler (more breezes) than our balcony and it provided more shade, which I need. Depending on how one's neighbors behave, the balcony is not always better than the promenade. The balcony gives people a false sense of privacy and they can talk louder sometimes. Also, on Princess one side of the promenade is for non-smokers (I guess this is true on HAL as well). The same does not hold for the balcony, so if you are sensitive to smoke, this could be a problem.

So, I'd certainly rather cruise twice in an inside. Two other (small) factors. There was a bad fire on the Star Princess a few months ago and it spread from balcony to balcony. Until balcony sprinklers are installed on all ships, an inside might me marginally safer. On the other hand, if one were to get quarantined due to Norwalk, it might be claustrophobic without the balcony.

I'm with Randy. We've never had anything less than a verandah stateroom, and would opt to cruise less often rather than go to an inside. It's just one of the things we love about our cruising experience.

Absolutely Jim! One of my truly favorite moments and memories from our cruises is slipping out on the verandah as we sail into a port early in the morning. If I couldn't do that then one of the really big attractions would be gone for me.

I try to cruise twice a year.

I do like the outside verandah cabins. Its nice to sit and watch the world go by. BUT I have been doing more inside cabins. Why, you ask. Because I'm hardly in the cabin. I try to keep active with so much to do. And I find that the only time I'm in my cabin is when I need to change or sleep. So why not save some money and go with an inside.

Your question isn't exactly directed to me, since I book inside cabins for cost savings in the first place.

But I have a comparable situation in that I would rather book a guaranteed share over paying the single supplement if that means I can cruise more often.

I figure my guaranteed share on the '03 and '04 cruises paid for the '05 cruise. Those cruises were 33, 34, and 35 days and the single supplement---even for an inside cabin---would have made them very expensive.

We always cruise with a veranda. I could give that up but could not give up the window. I cannot be in a cabin that I cannot see daylight. I certainly love having the verandah but it isn't absolutely necessary.

If we could not afford a cabin with a window, we would not cruise.

We started out with an outside then went to an inside and now the verandah. If it meant only once a year I would do the inside and go more often. I just booked the Ryndam for Feb 07 and they only have inside, my husband was a little disapointed but I told him hey it still a cruise and it is on HAL!!!

Kathy

I think in this instance...even thought I'm only NOW going on my first cruise...I would prefer to be able to take 2 (or more) vacations a year rather than only one. Then again, seeing the ocean and such isn't that big of a deal because of where I live. My DH and I are sailing this December in a G category. I'm not really sure what that means, I know it has a window. We only booked this cabin because it is smack dab in the middle of the ship. I don't forsee us looking out said window very often, and thus maybe next time we'll reserve an inside if we can be in the middle of the ship again.

I grew up on the water and still live at the coast (New England), and 'view' is not the reason I need a window. For me it's a question of day/night orientation with an inside. We once went to our friends inside cabin to 'pick her up' and I had to get out of there ASAP. I was really uncomfortable.

I need the orientation of seeing dark at night and light during the day. If I can't be comfortable, I would not be able to enjoy myself so what would be the point?!!?

For all the people (many) who it does not bother.......go for it.

I have been inside, outside, balcony and once a suite. Overall, I prefer the trade-off of inside if it means I can cruise with more frequency. I tend to prefer port intensive cruises and don't spend a lot of time in the cabin. I seem to sleep better in an inside cabin too with the bathroom light on, door slightly ajar. The other factor I use to determine which cabin type is where we are cruising and what the scenery is going to be like. If it's mostly water, water, water, I am more inclined to save the $.

We had a suite in Alaska and ended up out on deck with everyone else. While the space was wonderful, I could have done several back to back, on an inside for the same price.

Can't see myself doing an inside ever - no way, no how.

One of my cruise buddies took an inside on his first cruise. He went to bed and awoke at 6 the next day ready for breakfast - when he exited the cabin, he saw that everyone was dressed for dinner!!! :eek:

I've done outside staterooms - Can't see doing one again unless it's right next to an exit to an open deck such as those at the aft of Navigation Deck on Amsterdam/Zaandam/Volendam.

Given the choice - I'd rather cruise once a year in fine style than twice a year in lesser accomodations.

This is a good question. I’m surprised that so many would opt for the once a year. Guess wealth would have something to do with it in some cases. Don’t let me be misunderstood, but if you were the type who love being at sea (salt water veins), you would opt for the more time just to be at sea. The simple things in life bring the greatest pleasure. As said, a no brainer, for me…twice a year or as often as possible.

Come on, Brian, insides are not bad, dark for sleeping, and with the invention of lights and alarm clocks..:rolleyes:

(you must have know you were gonna get s**t for that):)

Mark.....

We would not cruise if we could only have an inside cabin. I am claustrophobic and need the light and the ability to go outside if need be. Also we love the verandah and spend a lot of time on our own out there.

Instead we would take a land trip. There are so many wonderful places to see in this world. I have a list a mile long and we would just do more land trips and forget the cruising.

Jennie

Come on, Brian, insides are not bad, dark for sleeping, and with the invention of lights and alarm clocks..:rolleyes:

Alarm Clocks?

...on Vacation?!?!

:eek:

...definately don't need dark to sleep - I can fall asleep pretty much anywhere and in full daylight.

Can't do an inside - nothing to look at while enjoying my breakfast in bed (don't care much for watching vid-cam/TV on vacation either) - and they don't come equipped w/ jacuzzi tubs for my bubble baths!;)

***bepsf is spoiled ROTTEN***

My question is directed to those HAL cruisers who have booked Verandah cabins and then booked either inside or fully obstructed outside cabins:

Would you rather cruise once a year and have the verandah, larger cabin, and in the case of the SS cabins the larger bathroom, or cruise more often and settle for smaller, (and darker) accomodations?

Easy ... because I have and DO do this.

I would MUCH rather cruise more frequently in an inside cabin than less frequently in a verandah cabin.

When I'm cruising with family or friends (and, hence, not having to pay the single supplement) I often book a cabin with a verandah. However, if I'm by myself on a cruise I'll book an inside. I MUCH prefer to save money and cruise more frequently.

I have had no problem cruising in an SS category in November with Christopher, then turning around and cruising in a J category in January and, again, in Feb/March. NO PROBLEM, mate ... I was aboard a damship and not at home, at work.

As for being in an inside cabin and not being able to see out, etc. ... I find that the inside cabins have the BEST window aboard ... it's called the "bridge camera forward." :D I leave the screen on all night long -- the glow makes a nice night light -- and that enables me to be able to watch the sun come up!

And Brian ... yes, indeed, I know you're spoiled. But that's one of the reasons we love you! :D

As for me ... I prefer to get up and GO to breakfast. :D

Instead of a one or the other choice, how about a compromise? Take a V-category verandah and go 3 time over the course of 2 years (which comes out to once every 8 months, instead of every 6 months). For our cruise on the Noordam, the math seems to work out. And with ***** and some savvy cruise selections, you might even have a couple of extra bucks for drinks!

I think this is how I would go if I had this "problem." I should look into having this problem.......

Keep Smiling!!!

We would not cruise if we could only have an inside cabin. I am claustrophobic and need the light and the ability to go outside if need be. Also we love the verandah and spend a lot of time on our own out there.

Instead we would take a land trip. There are so many wonderful places to see in this world. I have a list a mile long and we would just do more land trips and forget the cruising.

Jennie

I am also claustrophobic, to the point that I ask at the muster to be in front. An inside without a window for more then 2 days would have me going postal. An outside without the balcony for more then seven days would also have me going postal. One of my favorite past times is to stand on verandah and watch the ocean pass by and love having my own outside space. Hubby likes room while he's waiting for me to get dressed and I hate those tiny little showers. Once a year (or even less) in style for us.

Count me in with the people who would trade frequency for space. Both of us are a little claustrophobic, too, and always try to get the most space we can get for the money. I did an inside cabin once....and that was enough for me. That room was sooooo small that when we went inside and closed the door, I felt like I was being locked in a closet. Never again. I definitely need some outside light.

I prefer a veranda but would be OK with an oceanview....depending on the size of the cabin. That's the one thing I like about the HAL S & R class ships....the large outside staterooms are a good size. I would be satisfied with one of them on almost any trip if I couldn't get a balcony. Actually, those rooms are larger than the balcony cabins on some ships....including the balcony. Too bad they had to downsize them on the Vista class ships.

For us it's not the "going in style" or status thing....it's a space thing. We've eliminated many potential cruises because the cabins available were just smaller than we could handle.

I am reading, with interest, each of your replies and reasons for why you book the cabins that you do.

My wife is self employed and works 70+ plus hours a week. I work less hours, but have two residences that I take care of, one a small farm.

We take cruises as our way of having "our time". ;)

We have decided that once a year is just not enough time away. We love cruising, and want to enjoy it as much as our resources will allow.

Please continue to share your thoughts in this thread.

Thanks again,

Sam

we are to spoiled by the pampering that goes along with the sa class suites, the concierge alone makes it worth while and throw in the 24 hour live theatre right outside the verandah doors, life sometimes just does`nt get any better than that imho. we do 2 cruises a year now and are considering a smaller suite so it`s more affordable on the second one.

Archived