Crown Princess Incident

Nliedel

Th reason I said a full refund and a future cruise free with an onboard credit added to it because it seem like this has been the industry standard from rogue waves, Pod Issues, and Noro virus incidents if Princess doent that is weird because I would to install the confidence back into the passengers and bring them back in the future by making it too good to say no deal.

Paul

I, like Tinalee, live in Orlando and am willing to do whatever I can to help whoever needs it. I have a jeep and can hold quite a few people and luggage to help get you to a hotel or airport. Don't forget the other airports in the area, Sanford, Melborne, Gainesville and even Tampa.

The news was talking to a guy who was up on the top deck playing volleyball and said that he almost went over the top rail but 2 girls pulled him back onto the deck. How scarry. They are also showing that some of the passengers are leaving the ship now and getting on buses. Don't know where they are going but they are at least getting off.

Please let us know if we can do anything for you

ashytnlee@aol.com

Th reason I said a full refund and a future cruise free with an onboard credit added to it because it seem like this has been the industry standard from rogue waves, Pod Issues, and Noro virus incidents if Princess doent that is weird because I would to install the confidence back into the passengers and bring them back in the future by making it too good to say no deal.

Paul

Disney didn't give a free future cruise, just a refund when they canceled a cruise due to the noro virus and Princess didn't give a free cruise to those of us on the 3/19 Star Princess sailing or those afterwards who missed their cruises.

I'm sure that Princess will offer full refunds to all invovled, which they've already stated and hopefully they will also give the 25% credit towards a future cruise that we all recieved.

I posted this to another thread, but I wanted to post it here.

Hi, it's me, Nancy. Going home today. Some people are staying on till tomorrow. A few answers.

1. This was the most WONDERFUL cruise till then. The staff is fabulous. THere were a few hiccups, but overall delightful. Full report later.

2. I won my heat in Princess Pop Star. Of course there will be no finale. So I'm thinking this is the fates telling me something.

3. SOme have posted they will not travel with New Yorkers. They are missing out on some of the best cruising companions on the high seas. I met friendly, courteous people from the New York area everywhere. I cannot tell you how blessed I feel to have traveled with them.

4. If the ships listed 30 degrees we would not be here right now. I'm guessing 16 degrees STARBOARD! Some are saying port. I was on the port side, we saw sky, not water. 16 degrees is darn scary on a ship of this size and enough to injure people.

I will be home late tonight and give a full report tomorrow, but let me say this. Anytime, anywhere I'll sail her again without reservation or hesitation. I noticed this morning my legs are badly bruised and I was terrified, make no mistake, but I love this ship. I love the captain, the food, the service the ports. Until yesterday at 3:39 it was the best cruise of my life.

Still can't wait to go home and hug my kids. THe one thing I thought as it was happening was that I have a wonderful husband, whom I am very much in love with, four beautiful boys and that my husband and boys had one another if I died. I missed my husband, but a girls cruise was a treat I would remember forever, even without the added drama.

Will post later. To all those sending me well wishes, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Oh, on a bad note. The photos are a free-for-all. Someone took our stack of photos and I have NO photos (okay, one) of myself on this cruise. I am heartsick. If anyone got me in a photo please e-mail it to me. IT would mean the world to me.

I was also on the Grand in February- my heart goes out to those on the Crown. Fortunately, on our cruise, there were not a ton of kids. I am shocked that Princess didn't learn from the Grand incident that those tv's need to be bolted down! I did go on another cruise- Mariner of the Seas- in May and found myself a bit nervous each time we leaned and it took more than a second or two to upright. I think the feeling will stay with you forever. I hope that some of those on the Crown will return to cruising and are able to put the experience behind them after some time has passed.

I am very curious to see if we hear final conclusions about this and the Grand incident to see if they are related. We were told immediately that we had made an emergency turn to head back to port for medical emergency. That made us feel like it was human error in calculations or programming, not an actual mechanical error of the ship. I will say that if we had gotten all the way back to port (and not dropped off the injured and sick with the coast guard) it would have been quite the feat to get me to remain onboard. I did, though, and enjoyed the trip, but the nerves were fried for quite some time.

Prayers to all,

Kay

I'm just wondering if there was a Coast Guard investigation into the Grand incident and if so what were the conclusions?

I remember reading the boards at that time and thinking that the hard turn to bring a passenger back to port explanation sounded a bit lame.

I also think that the two listing incidents sound pretty similar and I'm surprised that after the Grand incident Princess hadn't taken more action to bolt large items like TV's down.

No free cruise guys. I am happy with our compensation and will be enjoying a delighful dinner in Tennessee on Princess. I don't feel undercompensated at all. Well *I* would have stayed on board.

We just returned last Tuesday from a cruise on the Princess. About halfway through the trip, we noticed a weird, hard clunking noise along with a vibration that we hadn't felt/heard at the beginning of the cruise. We felt a sense of unease very time we felt/heard it. :(

We have been researching an April 2007 cruise on the Crown for the past few days. It looks like the ship will need a lot of repairs. We are wondering about the welfare of some of our favorite crew members as well.

We can't imagine how scary this incident must have been. It could have been us. Hope everyone gets home safely.

No free cruise guys. I am happy with our compensation and will be enjoying a delighful dinner in Tennessee on Princess. I don't feel undercompensated at all. Well *I* would have stayed on board.

Nancy, were they generous enough to give you a credit towards a future cruise? I do hope you received that as well.

Again, like I posted on the other page, good luck and if you need anything, let us all know. Enjoy seeing your family again!

My heart goes out to all those involved in this incident. I hope that everyone is all right and makes it home safe to their families. You are all in my thoughts and prayers at this time. I am so sorry to all those injured, and to all those who had something so scary happen on such a wonderful cruise.

-Bonnie

Anyone else have the feeling that cruise ships are being designed more "top heavy"? Not that they are unsafe per se but more prone to a roll if there is a rudder/pod/stabilizer problem. Btw my 30 ft cruiser had a problem with its trim tabs. The right tab would lose hydraulic pressure at speed and would cause an instant swerve and serious list requiring immediate corrective action. I can understand how this type of thing can happen.

From what my sister told us, Princess isn't arrainging for any travel for anyone. They're only (hopefully) reimbursing them as well as giving them back the money for their cruise. So I'm going to imagine that flights back to New York out of MCO are going to be at a premium. So with all of the trauma of what happened on the ship, they now have to find a hotel and flights.

That's a load of crap. Princess had better see to it that each and every passenger gets home safely after this ordeal. If the ship was supposed to disembark in New York and is now disembarking in Fort Lauderdale, Princess is going to have to assist people with travel arrangements. Don't forget, some people are not going to be able to get on flights home the same day. You can't dump several thousand unreserved people on an airline and expect them to be able to accommodate everyone. Some people are going to need to stay overnight and even in some cases for second and third days before they will be able to travel home.

Also, what about people who left their cars at the terminal in New York. They wouldn't have had any flights reserved at all. For those people to book flights at the last minute to New York is gonna cost a bundle. And then figure ... what if it's a family of four?

No, I can't believe Princess management would be so stupid as to not offer assistance (financial and administrative) to get all of these passengers home or back to New York. If they don't, then I hope there's a good personal injury attorney onboard that cruise ... cause he'll be getting a lot of business.

Believe me, Princess will get everyone home, safe and sound and at their expense. You can bet on it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Now I wonder if the MAIB will be in to take over the investigation again like it did with the Star since the Crown is also under their juridiction. The do know that the Coast Guard is working in tandom with the MAIB, but the MAIB is the lead investigator.
Since the ship was in US waters (at least the economic limit) I think the CG will have authority over this one. Maybe some other agencies, too.

Nancy, I'm amazed at your spirits. I'm glad to hear you are safe and posting away.

I am so angry that our first effort was lost. I'll try to remember everything that I just wrote.

We started to feel a slight lean, and I reassured Nancy that it was ok, then the slight lean became a sharp list, with a huge arc in the wake. Our nautical expert, Alan, says that it was at least a 12 degree list.

Deborah, also one of our CC group, was IN AN ELEVATOR when it happened. She's still shaking. CaroleLee was naked on a massage table in the Lotus Spa. As the ship listed, the equipment table next to her went sliding, and her table traveled about 15 feet across the corridor into a treatment room across the way. All of the Lotus Spa Pool is now in the Lotus Spa.

All of the pools are pouring down the aft staircase and aft elevator shafts.

We have now turned and are returning to Port Canaveral.

The contents of the gift shops are all over the floors, mostly smashed. The contents of the bars are on the floors, and equipment is leaning or fallen.

There is broken glass everywhere and many people are injured. There are children crying, and some passengers were handed life jackets by crew members.

This just made them more upset.

I see people limping, bloody feet and other cuts. Most of the people that we knw have wandered by and we know that they're ok. We are sitting outside the Explorers Bar.

More later.

Carol

To all affected from this incident~

I am from another board (Carnival) but heard the news and wanted to say you are all in my thoughts and prayers!!!!

I hope you are all okay and return home safely!!!!

I find this to be strange that on the Star Princess and possible now on the Crown they will not offer an incentive to the passengers for them to try the Princess product again by giving a free cruise and future onboard credit. I remeber Celebrity, Holland America, Cunard, NCL, RCCL, and Carnival giving an incentive pretty much inline with a free cruise and onboard credit.

I am proud to know that Princess is so confident with their product that they believe a refund of the cruise is all they need to do to bring customers back and not have to worry if the passengers are discourage to cruise with them again. I guess that is why Princess is in the top ten cruiseline way to go Princess confidences speaks a lot. :):):)

Paul

Wow!! Carol, I just found this and saw that you were on this ship... I am SOOO glad you and Nancy, and the other CC members so far, are okay. What a scary experience. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone that was on the ship, and I do hope that those that were seriously injured are okay :( Wow...

OMG, this is just awful. My husband and I were on the Elation with our family and saw the Crown Princess on its first stop in Grand Turk. We docked right next to it. Grand Turk was our last stop.

"Crown Princess is currently on a 9-day Western Caribbean sailing, roundtrip out of New York, with calls at Grand Turk, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. Port Canaveral was the last port of call before returning to New York."

Here are some pics Adam took of the Crown Princess as we were docking.

47b6d936b3127cce8b347a446f3e00000016108QbMnLJyyZg

47b6d936b3127cce8b347a47ee0d00000016108QbMnLJyyZg

Nancy and Carol, I am so relieved to read you are both ok. I just read about this happening this morning on the RC board. My thoughts and prayers are with you both, and everyone else on board, for a safe and boring trip returning home. Update us when you get back.

Nliedel...

I first got word of this last night then details on the Today Show this morning. Somehow, I didn't realize that you were on this cruise until I read it on our usual...RCI... board this morning. I'm glad to see you are OK.

O.B.

Crown is moving to terminal 10 which is next to jetty park. So anyone still on board Thursday can easily walk to the park & beach.

"The Crown Princess, currently docked at Terminal 5, will need to move to Terminal 10 to make room for the scheduled arrival of the Carnival cruise ship Sensation at 6 a.m. Thursday."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060719/NEWS01/60719008/1006

If I may suggest, when you get home, call Princess and tell them you were on that ship, your photos were stollen before you had a chance to purchase them by "strangers". Could they please put you in contact with the ship's photographer so that you may hopefully obtain copies of those photos as they mean a lot to you even. They should have a record of who was working on that ship and how to contact them

Archived