There is a difference

hammybee

Have you ever noticed when there is a major news item that so many of the regular HAL posters come to this board to read, seek and share information in general and as it relates to cruising?

The listing of the Princess Crown, casues, probability and so on, was thoroughly analyzed on this board while it did not even register with some of the other boards, sans Princess.

The changes associated with airline travel and the UK discovery were relative blips on some of the other boards or political discussions instead of practical solutions and humor to balance the sudden and necessary changes being imposed, to help ensure safety.

I can't say, with certainty, that this board is evidence of the typical HAL passenger, if there is such an animal, but it does makes a statement about many of the people on this board. Putting aside jeans, smoking and the occasional soap box day, there is true compassion here that does not seem to exist on some of the other popular boards.

I have always found the HAL board to be full of wonderful advice, lots of help and good ideas when there are problems and full of compassion for others less fortunate.

I too have always tried to help with advice if I can and through this Board have made some good friends.

Perhaps HAL attracts a more mature type of cruiser, not necessarily in age, but in personality and therefore a more thoughtful type of person.

Jennie

Anthropologic anomalies? :D

;)

That explains it! Now I know why I like it here! I'm one of those anthropologic anomalies! What a relief, to find a place where I don't have to be normal;).

Seriously, I have found so many kind, helpful, thoughtful and considerate people here. I am very grateful.

I have to agree with everyone here.

This board is filled with great people who have lots of knowledge, and of course, a love of all things HAL. Cruisecritic has, too, become a part of my daily life (I check it every morning with a cup of coffee just like I'm doing now!)

I enjoy reading a lot of the other boards just to see what's up on each cruise line, but none of them have the 'feeling' that the HAL board has.

We're just smarter, better looking, more experienced global travellers than those folks on the other boards. Except, of course, for the interlopers who try to come here and crave companionship with HAL travelnoscenti. But we know them when we see them. :rolleyes:

Can I be a HAL-ite (or is it HAL-ian) if I've only taken one cruise, and that's been on HAL? I'm afraid to ever try another cruise line for fear of being disappointed.

Oh most definitely.

Aloha Pride is a Halophite in training, with honors, and once she cruises in Decemebr, she will, most likely, become a lifetime member of the club.

Hammy--

What an interesting insight - and one that I quite agree with.

Seems that the HAL boards do generally attract a "nicer-gentler", better educated, more thoughtful type person - generally folks w/ a good sense of humor - much like the line itself.

I find that the regulars here seem to be quite a bit more objective about their experiences and the experiences of others. We don't have much mindless cheerleading here either - when HAL messes up, we all pretty much agree and demand that HAL own up to it and make good as opposed to other boards where the line can apparently do no wrong and anyone who makes conflicting noises gets shouted down and slammed by the cheerleaders.

I've also noticed through the years that our disagreements no longer go to a personal level, but we have learned to agree to disagree at times. We all have valid thoughts and opinions to bring to the forums - that's why we're here: to share and learn from one another.

This has grown into a nice little community that feels comfortable and cozy - just like the ships.

:)

Oh most definitely.

Aloha Pride is a Halophite in training, with honors, and once she cruises in Decemebr, she will, most likely, become a lifetime member of the club.

Why, thank you HammyBee! :D

Honestly, these boards have become a way of life for me. I have learned soooooooooooooooooo much! I, too, come to these boards for truly fair and balanced news/experiences. Words cannot express how grateful I am to everyone on these board for the welcome and advice I have received. The daily questions, humor, news, and family/community atmosphere have become some what of an addiction

I look forward to living vicariously through those on the Voyage of the Spammed in October (I can't WAIT to see the actual ship!!), and anxiously await my very own cruise in December (would anyone care to join us?)! I'm sure I will be a lifetime member in December as I'm already planning and Alaskan cruise in Spring/Summer '08 and then the Hawaii cruise for graduation in '09 ;) Too bad we are all booked up for '07 :( (have to visit the MIL at some point I suppose). Maybe I'll be able to talk the in-laws into a cruise from FLL :D

You people make me sick, and are obviously psychotic.;) As your consultant, I advise you to take me on your next cruise so you can receive counseling and therapy on my professional advice. I will require first class airfare, veranda suite stateroom, and late seating dinner. I’ll be waiting for my documents to arrive.

If I don’t get those documents soon, I’ll be the obnoxious drunk on you next cruise doing all those things you read about on the other boards.

Mark....

ps Hey Hammybee, greetings from "down the road"

No-o-o! You mean those folks over on the OTHER board, because we're mostly all members of the DNRC :rolleyes:
Ahhh, a fellow Dilbert fan and DNRC member... I knew you had to have at least one redeeming quality:p

I never knew that the posters here are any different from the other boards since I don't go to the other boards.

But I have known for several years now that there is a real spirit of community on this board. There is a friendship that goes beyond sharing info about cruises or the love of cruising.

I was blessed with a ton of support on this board when I had my heart attack. And for that I will always be grateful.

Could even make me want to share my chocolate with you. Nah.

Archived