amerisuites in ft lauderdale

jagsfan

I booked Amerisuites because of proximity to the port, and the fact that

you could leave your car free for the duration of the cruise, with a free

shuttle back and forth.

Wellllllll I called about something else today and mentioned the free parking.

They have new owners as of July 7, and now charge $12.00 per day.

That's more than the most expensive port parking!

I know there are more of me out there........be warned!

It's a sign of the times, I believe. Covered parking at McCarran Airport's parking garage here in Las Vegas is $12 per day. ($6 at the uncovered remote lot.) If we're on a two-week cruise with pre and post stays, it's cheaper for us to hire a limo to the airport and back home!

we booked la quinta on line thru parksleepfly.com. it is 140+tax+5 transaction fee. it includes 14 days parking, hotel, breakfast, & transportation to port but no return. i think the will pick you up @ airport but not return you. 140 is what parking would cost @ pier. we will be there dec 8.

last time I checked tripadvisor, amerisuites & la quinta were not getting good reviews (that was in march). we stayed at sleep inn because it is not very old (2 yrs maybe?). i think it was $80 nite. don't know about parking. hotel was ok for 1 nite precruise. obviously not a top of the line place, but provided transp to & from airport/port, dining across the street, & what we wanted - close to the port.

We have been doing pre-cruise stays at the Hollywood/FLL airport LaQuinta for the past four years and have always found the accommodations to be very nice. Clean, spacious rooms; excellent staff; better than normal cont'l breakfast with make-your-own waffles; comp. newspaper; in-room coffeemaker with coffee; and reasonable rates. It is conveniently located for restaurants/shops and a short drive to the port. On our most recent visit, we found everything to be as expected. As a matter of fact, a CC member who is from the FLL area and frequently responds to inquiries on the pre/post cruise hotel forum gives this LaQuinta a positive review. Have to wonder if occasionally there are posters on Trip Advisor who have an agenda.:confused:

It's a sign of the times, I believe. Covered parking at McCarran Airport's parking garage here in Las Vegas is $12 per day. ($6 at the uncovered remote lot.) If we're on a two-week cruise with pre and post stays, it's cheaper for us to hire a limo to the airport and back home!

Jim -

I can relate! Our covered lot is $18 - and it frequently gets full - our last cruise in July, we had such a poor location but our parking was still $280... our remote lot is so far away, we might as well walk to the airport, lol!

We stayed at the Amerisuites in FLL one night pre-cruise because the Embassy Suites were booked solid. We had no complaints (it was clean and they provided breakfast) but then again, we don't drive there from LA so don't have to worry about parking. $12 a day, Jim called it, sign of the times!

Well, maybe the change in ownership is a good thing - we only stayed there once, it was a pre-holiday cruise in 2003, and we found it sorely lacking in many regards.

For the money, we've done much better elsewhere, but we don't have the parking issue either. :)

You might want to follow Lee's (Southbound) suggestion for the La Quinta.

last time I checked tripadvisor, amerisuites & la quinta were not getting good reviews (that was in march). we stayed at sleep inn because it is not very old (2 yrs maybe?). i think it was $80 nite. don't know about parking. hotel was ok for 1 nite precruise. obviously not a top of the line place, but provided transp to & from airport/port, dining across the street, & what we wanted - close to the port.

I checked them through Travelocity and the reviews were less than glowing. We were considering La Quinta because of the price but changed our minds and choose Hampton Inn in Plantation. Cost with transfers to the port: AAA rate: $116 plus tax. As for the sudden parking charge, this happened to us a few years ago here in Albuquerque. 5 days free at the Hilton Garden Inn and $5.00 per day after that. Got ready to pick up car and they wanted $5 per day period. They did honor what we had been told. That is Hiltons for you. NMnita

We booked the Renaissance in April 2005 because the Hyatt Pier 66 was undergoing renovations - I will say a couple of very positive things - the staff could NOT have been more accomodating, most easily one of the best front desk staff I've enountered.

The room was great - beyond our expectations, though we preferred the Hyatt lanai layout - the best thing I can ever say about a hotel (and I've stayed in more than a few - business & pleasure - many 5 star) is that my daughter (just 12-yrs at the time) had gotten a brand new mini ipod for Christmas in 2004 and she left it in the bed of the hotel - by the time we realized it, we were boarding the Volendam and then I had a message on my cell that the ipod had been found by the maid, turned in and was being sent Fedex to our home... we pretty much had already chocked it up to being gone forever...

I just read a post from someone on a roll-call who got the Renaissnace FLL over Spring Break for about $135 per night on Priceline....

We'll go back. :)

The majority of the reviews on Travelocity for the Hollywood LaQuinta are very positive; four:) out of five:) -- or a "very good" rating. The Amerisuites on 17th St. has one :) -- or a "be warned!" We have always been very pleased with this facility and are booked for two pre-cruise stays later this year.

We are staying (and others on our Roll Call) here in October. I have been keeping my eye on the Pre/Post Hotel threads. For this past summer they have been coming back with good reviews.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=393484

Sorry to hear that they are charging now for parking. Not surprised though, everyone wants money these days. Wonder how much their bookings will decrease due to this.

CCCM thanks for the thread. When I called Amerisuites I was told 12.00

per day no exceptions. When I asked for a manager, I was told I was talking

to the asst manager. Obviously people are being told their res's will be

honored, but I'm concerned about the parking. I got $75.00 through

Valuetrips, but since I squeezed my 10 day cruise out of my husband, I am

trying to be as fiscally conservative as I can. Especially between 6 November

birthdays and Christmas.........Mimi

We had researched Amerisuites because many were booking at a good rate. Not many glowing responses and many cautions. We had been staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 but have decided to we don't see eye to eye with their customer focus. They want to attract banquets and business meetings and don't cater to tourists any longer.

Our next cruise we are staying at the Embassy in Boca. It is a real bargain at $99/night. We have stayed there before for a pre cruise and it's a typical Embassy. Breakfast was good and so was the cocktail hour;) !

We always park at the pier. I know it's a fortune but at least we have our car there when we disembark with our tons of extra junk....

We had researched Amerisuites because many were booking at a good rate. Not many glowing responses and many cautions. We had been staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 but have decided to we don't see eye to eye with their customer focus. They want to attract banquets and business meetings and don't cater to tourists any longer.

Our next cruise we are staying at the Embassy in Boca. It is a real bargain at $99/night. We have stayed there before for a pre cruise and it's a typical Embassy. Breakfast was good and so was the cocktail hour;) !

We always park at the pier. I know it's a fortune but at least we have our car there when we disembark with our tons of extra junk....

I just don't think you can go wrong with Embassy Suites. When we can we always stay there unless the price is out of line: if not there, as I have said before Hampton Inns. Both are comfortable, rarely get a bad review and are pretty much uniform throughout the entire country. NMNIta

I have a reservation at Amerisuites for November but I guess I'll cancel it now as they have eliminated the parking. Besides the LaQuinta, what other places in the are offer free parking for 7-10 day cruises?

Comfort Inn Airport/Cruise Port South

2520 Stirling Rd. Hollywood, Fl

954-922-1600

Has parking for $6.00 per day (in april 2005)

also,

Free shuttle to and from terminal

Free Full breakfest, including omelet station

Be sure you compare rates if a hotel advertises "free" parking during your cruise. Sometimes the room rate is adjusted upward from the usual nightly or weekly rate to compensate them for the parking. Some of the satellite garages around the airport and Port Everglades have very reasonable weekly parking and the lots are more secure. You can find these parking lots on Google. If it is a very popular tourist time, a reservation at one of these lots is a good idea.

We have been doing pre-cruise stays at the Hollywood/FLL airport LaQuinta for the past four years and have always found the accommodations to be very nice. Clean, spacious rooms; excellent staff; better than normal cont'l breakfast with make-your-own waffles; comp. newspaper; in-room coffeemaker with coffee; and reasonable rates. It is conveniently located for restaurants/shops and a short drive to the port.

Just booked it for 12/2, Lee. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Hi everyone, I just have to get my two cents in here regarding Amerisuites.

This past January we had the pleasure of staying there for our pre-cruise hotel. At the time of booking I was skeptical as most places closest to the port( afforadable that is) were sold out. We arrived LATE at night and cabbed it from the airport. Something like 10 bucks for 2. I, being the fussy missy that I am was very surprised when I walked in. Hotel is very CLEAN, MODERN and staff very efficient and helpful. When we opened the door to our room I was quite happy to find a LARGE seating area, kitchenette ( great for longer stays) and overall a perfectly fine room. Now, unless you are use to staying at the Ritz Carlton then Amerisuites is probably not the best choice for you.

They offered a HOT continental breakfast with a nice variety of items to choose from. It's no 5 star breakfast but perfectly fine for a quick bite before we boarded our cruise.

The free shuttle service to and from port was a tad bit chaotic for my taste. Then again, I have no patience for standing around waiting so we opted to grab a $6 cab ride to the port.

We don't need parking but I would think that $12 /day is pretty reasonable. At least here in Vancouver that is.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel anytime. As a matter of fact, we booked it again for our pre-cruise hotel stay on Oct 14.

purr_30 :)

Hi everyone, I just have to get my two cents in here regarding Amerisuites.

This past January we had the pleasure of staying there for our pre-cruise hotel. At the time of booking I was skeptical as most places closest to the port( afforadable that is) were sold out. We arrived LATE at night and cabbed it from the airport. Something like 10 bucks for 2. I, being the fussy missy that I am was very surprised when I walked in. Hotel is very CLEAN, MODERN and staff very efficient and helpful. When we opened the door to our room I was quite happy to find a LARGE seating area, kitchenette ( great for longer stays) and overall a perfectly fine room. Now, unless you are use to staying at the Ritz Carlton then Amerisuites is probably not the best choice for you.

They offered a HOT continental breakfast with a nice variety of items to choose from. It's no 5 star breakfast but perfectly fine for a quick bite before we boarded our cruise.

The free shuttle service to and from port was a tad bit chaotic for my taste. Then again, I have no patience for standing around waiting so we opted to grab a $6 cab ride to the port.

We don't need parking but I would think that $12 /day is pretty reasonable. At least here in Vancouver that is.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel anytime. As a matter of fact, we booked it again for our pre-cruise hotel stay on Oct 14.

purr_30 :)

$12 per day times 7 or 10 can amount up pretty fast.

I care quite a bit for my vehicles. My wife says too much so. While I'm not driving a Rolls-Royce we drive nice cars that took a lot of hard work to acquire. I have no problem driving the 6 hours each way to the port. None at all. If it's love bug season I'm in the port garage cleaning off the front of the car so I'm not missing paint when I return back from our cruise (yes - I do travel with appropriate cleaner and towels). Yeah I'm a bit retentive but if you leave those worthless bugs on your paint for over 48 hours you are in trouble. I appreciate the proximity of the port parking. I appreciate the fact it's patrolled. The convenience is beyond belief. All in all I know that my car is safe (or have the false illusion that it is - I sleep better). I never park on the top deck so I'm sure the car is out of the elements. Of course it has a nice coat of sea salt when I return. However, no worries about Florida storms and possible hail damage. One generally doesn't need to worry about some vagrant taking his anger out and taking the key or worse to your vehicle. I'm willing to pay a bit extra for piece of mind, convenience, and overall protection of my vehicle. Of course I always worry about the lazy ass who swings his/her door open without worry to leave the every annoying door ding (hopefully w/o paint loss). Flame me all you want but I take pride in what I drive and I like to know that the worst investment I ever made in my life is safe and sound...or as safe and sound as it can be w/o residing in my garage.

Archived