If NCL did away with freestyle...

S.S.Oceanlover

I would be more apt to look at other lines. We love freestyle dining as we can dine when we want and not be locked in to a specific time. As for the specific table, not as important, but it is nice to know that you can ask for a big table or you can ask for a small table. It is also nice to know that if we meet someone on ship we would like to eat with we can do it easily.

Of course, it is always nice to establish brand loyalty as there are perks for that, so NCL will always be near the top of our list. I just don't see them losing freestyle cruising anytime in the near future. I expect to see more of the cruiselines go this route actually.

This posting gives me something to think about. My first 2 cruises were on Royal Caribbean and we enjoyed them and classic cruising very much. Then we took a cruise on Celebrity, which we thought would be a bit more elegant but found the entertainment lacking and the food about the same with a little more window dressing. The last 3 cruises were on NCL and given the people we were with and other things we did freestyle worked great. Which one was best? I would like to hear what others think.

I read quite a lot of post from NCl cruisers that say they are rebooking on NCL because of the Freestyle.

So my question is, if NCL didn't have Freestyle would you still continue to cruise on NCL or would you be specific as to which cruiseline you would cruise on?

Bill

I would be more apt to book a different cruiseline while still considering NCL. I would make my decision based on price, itinerary and scheduling. As it is, I already weigh those factors but Freestyle tips the scale in favor of NCL. Without Freestyle, I would take a longer look at Princess, which offers Anytime Dining. That way, I would get at least one element of Freestyle cruising, albeit without the "resort casual" dress code.

Freestyle Dining and resort casual are the reasons I chose NCL to start with. I'm on vacation. I don't want to have to be on a set schedule and I definitely do not want to dress up. Princess would be my second choice with the Anytime Dining.

If NCL did away with Freestyle, then I would probably try another line also. Freestyle is what makes me come back. I'm not a shirt & tie dinner dresser and that's what makes me sail NCL. Dockers & & collared shirt is fine for me. It's not the money either, We usually sail in the penthouse & enjoy dinner in out cabin a few times on each cruise.

Dining with strangers for a week used to be a problem. Not anymore, we can dine with anyone, so that's not a problem.

To change lines, we would have to pick one that offers open seating, being restricted to 6:30 & 8:30pm makes you plan every move on the ship. This make you plan, plan & plan. I'm on vacation and I plan enough at work!

Happy Sailing,

Monty

I would not look exclusively through NCL cruises and fit them into my schedule. I would start to build my number of cruises with other lines most assuredly. We take 2 to 3 crises a year. If NCL switched, I'd probably take 1 NCL and 2 with other lines. I'd probably go towards a more upscale line.

I have 3 NCL cruises booked at this time and I'm going to seriously look at the food issue. The last time I sailed (Sep 05) the menu was the old tried and true menu. Since then it's changed, so I'll see. I always enjoyed my NCL dining experience. Let's hope I'm not disappointed on the next 3 cruises.

This would have been a good poll questions.

If NCL dropped Freestyle cruising I would return in a minute as they have wonderful ships but have reduced the atmosphere on the ships to almost zero with the lack of any sense of passenger style. Sorry but the whole package is important to this passenger. When I want to have a nice meal out, I don't go to any of the chains as that is eating not dining. I go to a fine hotel dining room or a good linen table cloth restaurant where the clientle understands that it just polite to dress up to add their part to the experience.

However, having said that, I know that I am spitting into the wind. With NCL's new campaign of Dress code? wear something! and there is no roamance at a table for 8, they have decided to toss the solo passenger over board in favor of the very mass market. I wish them well. I wonder if they have factored in the extra physical upkeep such a policy will require along with additional security. We shall see.

We love Royal Caribbean but are thinking seriously now about NCL. We would really like to be able to go to dinner when we want to, not at a particular time. We will probably still dress up for the optional formal night because I like one dressy night. I always find the second one to be not as much fun. We cruise for the myriad activities not just the one activity of dressing up and eating each day. It is just a couple of hours in the whole day after all.

I can't think of a single reason why this would entail more security or upkeep unless it would be because there are so many more people cruising this line than before.

I love freestyle -- it's what finally convinced me to cruise in the first place. I don't like the idea of assigned dining at all, so I guess if I had to go with another line, I'd probably try Princess' anytime dining.

I can see where, if you were a single diner, there might be an advantage in having assigned seating. For me, however, the idea of having to eat and make small talk with a bunch of strangers for 7 nights is a nightmare. I like the fact that, with NCL, I can choose to eat only with my spouse, my family, or friends that I make on the roll-call.

The way other passengers dress doesn't affect my enjoyment of cruising at all. I love to people watch, and find it interesting to see all the different styles that NCL attracts.

I can't think of a single reason why this would entail more security or upkeep unless it would be because there are so many more people cruising this line than before.

I think that statement was intended as a dig at they type of passenger NCL will now attract. :rolleyes:

However, having said that, I know that I am spitting into the wind. With NCL's new campaign of Dress code? wear something! and there is no roamance at a table for 8, they have decided to toss the solo passenger over board in favor of the very mass market. I wish them well. I wonder if they have factored in the extra physical upkeep such a policy will require along with additional security. We shall see.

That you are - It is clear they are not marketing to single cruisers. The good news for others they will not be forced to eat with a single cruiser they don't know every night who will continuously complain about how they are dressed. :D

Does any cruise line cater to single cruisers? Freestyle is what keeps me on NCL....I too have been considering Princess but I don't like the size of their ships(out of NY) which seem to have many more passengers than the Dawn for instance and less crew. But with NCL joining the size matters group I may on the future be forced to.

I read quite a lot of post from NCl cruisers that say they are rebooking on NCL because of the Freestyle.

So my question is, if NCL didn't have Freestyle would you still continue to cruise on NCL or would you be specific as to which cruiseline you would cruise on?

Bill

Freestyle means a lot to us. DH definitely does not want to cruise without, so we have a hard time considering another cruise line. If Freestyle were to dissappear, it would level the playing field for us.

I'll be going on my 15th cruise and have not cruised on any other line since trying NCL five cruises ago. Because we don't have to "dress up" for dinner anymore, we can use a carry-on bag on our flight and continue carrying it on right onto the ship. Very convenient. We also like a table for two and NCL has always accomodated us. So far, we're not tempted to go back to cruising with the other lines.

I would be more likely to consider other options if NCL wasn't freestyle.

I don't like dressing more than resort casual for a meal, and I really don't enjoy dining with people that I don't know. I'm on vacation to relax. Set dining times with stricter dress codes and people I don't know just puts me on edge and takes the enjoyment out of the meal for me.

As for the other cruiselines that do the dining room cheerleading, team garbage, dancing, and singing. I'm not on a vacation to compete, that's what the rat race is for. And If I want all that noise and such I can go to Chucky Cheese with my nephew/neice.

Bill

this same question was asked about a week ago and I think it had a huge response. Actually the question was if outher lines had freestyle would you try them? To me it is the same question.

Of course NCL's freestyle sets them apart; would I stop cruising them if they didn't have freestyle? First of all, it is a moot point cause it won't happen. I think just the opposite is happening; more lines are leaning toward some form of freestyle. To answer your question, I may just stop cruising period. We are cruising HAL this November because of the itinerary but I am sure we will come back to NCL as quickly as possible. We also do want to try MCS and Princess. After that I can't imagine not giving my business to NCL. They have the best home ports and the best itineraries plus often the best prices. Not alway the latter. NMnita

If NCL dropped Freestyle cruising I would return in a minute as they have wonderful ships but have reduced the atmosphere on the ships to almost zero with the lack of any sense of passenger style. Sorry but the whole package is important to this passenger. When I want to have a nice meal out, I don't go to any of the chains as that is eating not dining. I go to a fine hotel dining room or a good linen table cloth restaurant where the clientle understands that it just polite to dress up to add their part to the experience.

Actually the number of people at your table is more favored by free style than traditional dining. With free style there are tables for two or a crowd, it's your choice. Also if you really want to dress up all the time, that's your choice too. I have no idea what you mean by security. How does the way you dress and the time you choose to eat effect security?:confused: :rolleyes:

this same question was asked about a week ago and I think it had a huge response. Actually the question was if outher lines had freestyle would you try them? To me it is the same question.

Of course NCL's freestyle sets them apart; would I stop cruising them if they didn't have freestyle? First of all, it is a moot point cause it won't happen. I think just the opposite is happening; more lines are leaning toward some form of freestyle. To answer your question, I may just stop cruising period. We are cruising HAL this November because of the itinerary but I am sure we will come back to NCL as quickly as possible. We also do want to try MCS and Princess. After that I can't imagine not giving my business to NCL. They have the best home ports and the best itineraries plus often the best prices. Not alway the latter. NMnita

I don't visit here that often so I didn't know that a similar question had been posted last week. My apologies for the redundancy.

If there is any truth to the recent rumors you may get to cruise on MSC sooner than later.

Bill

I don't visit here that often so I didn't know that a similar question had been posted last week. My apologies for the redundancy.

If there is any truth to the recent rumors you may get to cruise on MSC sooner than later.

Bill

What rumors...about MSC taking over?..........old news:rolleyes:

rumors are like mouths everyone has one...

Oceania is being bought

Princess is going to leave Brooklyn

NCL is going to be bought

NCLA is going to be bought.

MSC is going to have a ship in NY this year.

and the Biggest one is that NCL will abandon Freestyle eating for fixed times....I don't belive any of them ....well maybe one or two...

Archived