How important is the Cruise Director to you?

JolleyRoger

Going on our first cruise Oct. 23rd on the Coral.

I've read some posts which suggest while one CD may be outstanding, another may be not so great.

I haven't read anything about the Coral's CD.

Regardless of ship, how important is the CD to you & why?

It's not a deal breaker. We enjoy a personable CD, but sometimes they come on with the same old tired jokes. We even had a spell where we had the same CD on 5 out of 6 cruises (all different ships) over a three year period. It was nice when we got a change because we were worn out with his same old style.

The cruise director is of no importance to me at all. But, then the ships entertainment is not that important to me either. I will usually see a show and maybe a comedy act, but how good they are is of little importance to me. On my list of what is important on a ship, entertainment is near the bottom.

You can add the Captain to the list.

As long as he transports us from point A to point B safely---for that is his primary job--and mintains command of the ship, his presence otherwise is mere show.

Neither the CD nor the Captain (unless he really screws up) have any direct effect on our cruise.

It is only the cabin steward, the wait staff, and others with whom we have direct contact who affect our enjoyment of the cruise.

We honestly could care less who the CD is aboard any of the ships we sail. It makes no difference to us at all.

We have sailed with some that have been raved about here on CC and we found them to be quite irritating. So, this is another one of those questions where the answer would be it means a lot to some, while others don't give a hoot who the CD is.

Going on our first cruise Oct. 23rd on the Coral.

I've read some posts which suggest while one CD may be outstanding, another may be not so great.

I haven't read anything about the Coral's CD.

To try to answer your question as to the importance of the CD onboard:

We have never booked a cruise because of the CD or any other crew onboard, however we have had some very memorable cruises due to the professional quality of the CD or ship officers and staff.

Basically our decision to attend shows in the theater or other forms of entertainment aboard ship are often influenced by the professional quality and showmanship of the CD. DH & I are not big on Broadway style dancing and singing shows but have often attended some shows because we just like to see the CD during the show. Have been on some ships where I can't tell you who the CD was or what the person looked liked, male or female, and can say I don't think we ever witnessed a show on the cruise unless it was a specialty venue of a magician, juggler of comedian.

Have been on ships when I can still see the CD standing on the stage announcing information or introducing the next act that we were about to see. Have seen CD's who were actually as, if not more, talented than the entertainment group we were about to see.

Cruise Directors are there to get you excited about what is available on the ship and get you to those venues. Great CD's will get you so excited that you want to book that ship and that line again for another cruise.

Unfortunately we've found that by the time our next cruise rolls around on that ship where we had such a great time the CD has been changed.

Dianne

an interesting consistency of answers here....so just who are these cruisecritic members who wonder who the 1st Deputy to the 2nd Assistant Cruise Director is going to be for their cruise 7.5 months from now?

they're the same people who were on a cruise 4 months ago and ask those now onboard to take the time to go seek out the 1st Deputy to the 2nd Assistant to tell them that 'Joe and Susan say hello!', like he/she will remember....lol:rolleyes:

I almost hate to ask this....but what DOES the CD do?

As far as I know, the Cruise Director is in charge of all entertainment on a ship. He will quite often introduce shows and comedians, he may even sing a song. Another duty would be dealing with meetings on board. Cruise Critic members will come into contact with him if they are organising a CC Meet and Greet. So, I suppose that a lot of CC'ers will judge him on how well he cooperates with a CC meeting.

There are probably other duties that he performs that I am not aware of.

I've never understood why anyone cares about the CD. They all seem the same to me. Under the the perfectly coiffed hair, skin, and clothes are circuits and wires programmed on a 7 day loop. They all tell the same lame jokes in the same order of every cruise.

Does this elevator go to the front of the ship? :)

I tend to think of the CD as a facilitator rather than an entertainer. While some of them have been somewhat talented as singers, comedians, etc., I am more interested in how a CD motivates the entertainment staff who interact with passengers. An energetic, enthusiastic, personable CD will inspire the staff to exude similar characteristics when they are engaged in shipboard activities with passengers. jmo

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Wow! Not the repsonses I would have guesssed. I could care less about who the CD is. But if you want to start a riot, go over to Carnival and start saying you could care less about a CD. I think I have just discovered the main difference between Carnival and Princess cruise preferences.:rolleyes:

Archived