How do "they" decide your table mates?

A headwaiter on Monarch told me that they try to match ages and similar cabins. We usually end up with other JS or SO people between 40 & 60 on Monarch, but on Jewel we had ages from 30-something to 60-something, and everything from inside cabins to JS, plus two Diamond Plus couples and two first time cruising couples. So who knows?

They almost always seat us with others within a similar age group. On only one occasion did we have a totally obnoxious tablemate. His wife kept telling him to be quiet, but he talked incessantly, and was an 'expert' on everything. He even talked when he was eating. His wife said that it was a nervous habit. The other tablemates were great, though, and we still managed to have great conversation.

A word to the wise. If you end up at a table with someone you would rather not sit with change seating before the next evening. On our second cruise we were placed at a table for eight. This curmudgeon sitting at our table gripped the entire time. This wasn't right, that wasn't right , you name it he complained about it. The second night the other two couples had moved to another table while we had to painfully endure each evening with Mr. Curmudgeon and his young "Trophy Wife". One evening he tried to go to the kitchen and show the chef how to properly make an Alfredo sauce. The Head Waiter had to tell him that was not going to happen.

If your table mate(s) are really annoying, have the maitre'd move you to another table the next evening. And hope you don't go from bad to worse.:eek:

We've had two nightmares....so now we eat with our family and that's it!

Vacations are too valuable and there's too much $$ on the line.

Not going to take any more chances.

For those who enjoy meeting new folks.....you might change your mind if you met the people we've had the joy of dining with.

Don't rush to judge by demographic features. This last cruise, we had very nice people the first night, roughly my age, who were part of a large family group, and were later switched to accommodate their entire family. No kids for my kids.

Then we got two somewhat older ladies. At first my kids (kids, HA! They were 18 & 21) sort of rolled their eyes: Look, Mom, RC seated us with these old dingbats. But they turned out to be the GREATEST tablemates!

My kids loved them, they loved my kids, we all hung out..................

So keep an open mind, regardless of what they "look like" at first glance.

:)

On most of our cruises we have been lucky. We usually request a table for 6 or 8 so we get to meet new folks. On one cruise, we were seated at a table for 4 -- our dinner partners were a Russian woman and her 12 year old son (neither spoke very much English) -- so we moved. We usually fare better!!

--I just do not want to be seated with kids......Don't get me wrong, I love kids, I'm just WAY past the age of wanting to have them as dinner partners.

The only time we've been seated with stranger, as opposed to bringing along enough friends to fill a table, we had a wonderful time. A family with two grown daughters, us a and a couple of women travelling together. We're still in touch with the family of four! I would not say we were all in the same age bracket but it would depend on how broad the bracket was. I would ask for a table switch if it was a really bad match but am glad that has not happened.

We had our first cruise recently, and had no pre-set expectations. We went without kids and were seated with three other couples at our table, including a very energetic (and entertaining) young pair of newlyweds from Australia. The other couples were of a similar vintage to us and hailed from Chicago and Kansas. With us being from Canada we certainly had a wonderful combination of common ground with a unique twist.

Lucky? Perhaps.

Our next trip will be a small family gathering of 4 and we've requested a table for eight, figuring that we'll be matched with somebody close to our daughter's age (10 and a half).

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Hi on the Granduer they placed DH and I with young adults my children age and they were very refreshing but they thought we were just in our 30's they were really kind to be 25 again even though my oldest is 28 lol

How are your tablemates decided? I've heard honeymooners are sometimes sat together, but then I've heard of and older couple being sat with kids! Is there a method, or just a random drawing?

I'm not sure how I even know this, I feel like I must have been told by RCI or something (so much info it's hard to remember where it all came from!) but that there are certain passengers who can pick where they sit (when you get to a certain level apparently), and others who book together can be put together at the same table.

Everyone else is a matter of computerization. So it's luck of the computer (or draw) where you get put.

Someone mentioned putting tables with similar guests of room or age status - I hope this isn't the case. I cruise RCI b/c I don't want to be segregated from other ppl like on the QM2.

LOL....can you picture putting all the kids in one corner or all at one or two tables? Or having all the elderly together? It would look odd wouldn't it?

On most of our cruises we have been lucky. We usually request a table for 6 or 8 so we get to meet new folks. On one cruise, we were seated at a table for 4 -- our dinner partners were a Russian woman and her 12 year old son (neither spoke very much English) -- so we moved. We usually fare better!!

--I just do not want to be seated with kids......Don't get me wrong, I love kids, I'm just WAY past the age of wanting to have them as dinner partners.

Wanna hear something funny? My kids feel much more strongly about this than I do! They would NEVER tolerate being at a table with small (or even medium-sized) children. :D :D :D :D

I will go in with an open mind no matter who sits at my table. I can't believe people actually say they don't want to sit with kids, elderly, honeymooners etc...:rolleyes: I have met many kids (even 3yrs old) much nicer than some adults and more mature for that matter. I would never switch for that reason alone. Also, I find the elderly facinating and love theirs stories. I think if you go in with a preset mind of who you want sitting at your table, you will be disappointed.

Obviously, if they are not your cup of tea you can switch around but at least keep an open mind. Who know, YOU may not be someone else's cup of tea.;)

On my first cruise where I went with my best friend (we were both 23 at the time) we were sat with 2 other girls our age, two sisters in their 40s, and a male couple in their late 30s. Out of everyone in our group, the two girls our age with the least fun to be with! When I'm traveling with my spouse, I want to spend my time with him so we get a table just to ourselves, but if I'm going with a group or with friends I say it's always nice to meet other people and step out of your comfort zone!

We are going on our first cruise, so this is really interesting...

We won't change tables unless the other person or persons who are offensive are REALLY offensive. I really hope we don't get anyone like that, but to those of you who have, how do you handle meeting up with those folks somewhere else? Is it uncomfortable seeing them when you sit at another table in the same dining room?

I think it's completly random how RCI does seating, and I also think that they don't actually listen to your requests. The past 3 RCI cruises we've been on, we've requested to be seated at a large table for 8-12 because we love meeting people, yet we still manage to only get a 4 top. No biggie, but it's just funny that we always get the opposite! On Carnival, my mother and I were seated with two other mother daughter couples. I think that some thought went into that, and we really appreciated it.

Laura

Thank you all for the info! I haven't really been that concerned with whether or not we will want/need to switch tables . I was basically just curious how they picked who you sat with.

I agree with the poster who said you should go in with an open mind- I would prefer couples to families with small children, though. Being on our honeymoon I think small children could be "mood killers"...or maybe really good birth control! :eek:

A couple got switched to our table and was shown that the table had 3 couples and the ages of each and all in JS given a choice of another table with x ages and x cabin. so they do or did that sailing seat for reason not random

Now you people have me nervous the first time went so well with table mates , I am scared we will never be that lucky again.

And not to start debate but liked the RC dining service much better than the freestyle dining service

How are your tablemates decided? I've heard honeymooners are sometimes sat together, but then I've heard of and older couple being sat with kids! Is there a method, or just a random drawing?

On our first cruise we sat at a table of eight with three other couples, and although there was quite a difference in ages, the one thing we all had in common was that it was a first cruise for everybody. We will be going on our 10th cruise come March 11th, and each time we have always requested a large table of eight or more for just my wife and I. The one thing that continues to be fairly consistant, is how many cruise each couple has been on. We have never had the opportunity to be seated with newbies since our first cruise. On the coming next cruise on March 11, our roll call board membership has grown to over a hundred, and there are many newbies and young college types on their first cruise because of spring break month. Even though I am now 66, I look forward to sharing evening meals and conversations with these young people, as they are so full of enthusiasm and a capacity for fun. My next favorite catagory is New Yorkers, who always are such delightful personalities with wonderful stories to tell. I would say that at least 30 per cent of my enjoyment of a cruise is in those wonderful evening meals with my tablemates, and the stories they bring to that table of their daily adventures and discoveries of that cruise, and the insights into life that they share with us every evening. My next favorite folks to share a table with are British passengers, with their wonderful English accent, and again, with wonderful stories to share about traveling in Europe, etc. So, don't worry so much about being seated with strangers, as this is half the ambiance of a cruise; to meet new people and share good conversation with them. The greater the mix in ages, background, and cultures, the more interesting your evening meals will be. You will find yourself by midweek actually looking forward to dinner, not just for the food, but to talking with your tablemates again. Bon Voyage!!!

Our first cruise (and only one so far) we were sat with three other couples and one couple didn't say a word, and the other couple close to us was SOOO snobby I could have slapped the wife!!! She talked on and on about how many cruises she had been on, her vacation home, her job as a lawyer, all her money, etc etc..and once she asked us a few personal questions she snubbed us the rest of the dinner!!! I think it was the "this is our first cruise" that did it...she was such a B*tch...we never again went back to eat in the dining room we felt so uncomfortable. I wish I had known then to ask to be switched. I know now and would...

To that lady, if you were on the Fascination 3/06 KISS MY BUTT..lol..:eek:

Our last cruise, we were seated at a 6-top. One couple NEVER showed, so it ended up being just 4 of us. Not good. 2 nights, the other couple weren't there, 2 nights, we weren't there--not a whole lot of fun!

Next time, I hope we get a larger table. We enjoy having others to converse with--it's fun (and it can make you appreciate your spouse sooooo much!)

Most folks on a cruise are out to have a good time--there will always be the "stick-in-the-mud" but they are few and far between. Just enjoy!

I do think it is quite random, however, both cruises we were all on the same deck. Once we were with two newlywed couples and I was traveling with my sisters--we are both in our 40s. Our second cruise we were sat with a family that had two kids, and I was traveling with my children, and it was very nice.

I do have a question...

What is the smallest table and the largest table?

Archived