New HAL Menu Ideas?

bepsf

I just read an article about how Abalone is making a comeback here in California: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/02/28/FDGKBO9AV31.DTL

I was thinking how I haven't enjoyed Abalone since I lived in Tokyo and how much I'd enjoy having that served aboard HAL, perhaps in Pinnacle for the Pacific Coast/Alaskan itineraries?

Any ideas for dishes/delicacies that you've enjoyed elsewhere that you'd like to see served on HAL?

(Please, no Meatloaf!)

;)

I eat very little red meat so am always hoping for interesting, new chicken, fish and pasta dishes. Vegetables are a huge part of my diet so they can never offer too many veggies to suit me. The more the better. :)

Because we usually go to Pinnacle at least once or twice per cruise, I save the few times I would order steak to be for those nights.

In the dining room, I most often have fish.

Brian: It probably isn't "PC" but I have very fond memories of rich, buttery, delicious turtle soup. :o . I would also like to see a few more exotic choices such as frogs legs and lobster newberg. These would be great in the PG.

Brian, I'm a seafood lover, but haven't had the opportunity to sample abalone. What is the texture? Is it similar to an oyster or mussel?

I do have a gorgeous pair of abalone shell earrings. ;)

Karen

It's quite different - its generally pounded out and & sliced into thin medallions...

...but it's a delicate, soft texture with just a slight seafood flavor - imagine a mouthful of only the most tender/meaty part of a clam or mussel and you have the general idea.

I love Seafood, as a matter of fact over the past few years I would much rather have a nice piece of very fresh fish than a steak. I would love to see Chilean Sea Bass served in the Pinnacle. I am also looking forward to when the Eurodam finally arrives and to gradually see HAL have a Asian style restaurant. I am hoping with that there will be more fresh fish items and with really good sushi and sashimi. I will say that it seems that HAL has been doing a better job with offering more fish entrees that are tasty. It seems like when we first started to cruise the fish entrees were a bit bland and dry but in recent cruises they have been really good. They also seem so always offer some type of pan fried fish in the Lido and it has been especially good the first day.:)

It's quite different - its generally pounded out and & sliced into thin medallions...

...but it's a delicate, soft texture with just a slight seafood flavor - imagine a mouthful of only the most tender/meaty part of a clam or mussel and you have the general idea.

I've only had abalone in a soup in San Franciso's Chinatown, and there it was rather tough/chewy, like most calamari that we get. :confused: Either that, or they gave me a calamari soup and I didn't know any better!! :confused:

I've only had abalone in a soup in San Franciso's Chinatown, and there it was rather tough/chewy, like most calamari that we get. :confused: Either that, or they gave me a calamari soup and I didn't know any better!! :confused:

SF Chinatown?

I guarantee you were served calamari...

I eat very little red meat so am always hoping for interesting, new chicken, fish and pasta dishes. Vegetables are a huge part of my diet so they can never offer too many veggies to suit me. The more the better. :)

Because we usually go to Pinnacle at least once or twice per cruise, I save the few times I would order steak to be for those nights.

In the dining room, I most often have fish.

The parmesean encrusted chicken is not to be missed...served on the last night. Yum! ;)

As far as new ideas go, I would love to see more creative salmon entrees.

When we were cruising out of Mombasa, Kenya on the QEII years ago, springbok was on the menu (an animal found in Africa). My husband is ready to try anything new and he still raves about that meal. He said it was much better than venison - not too gamey.

I have been viewing the Adventures in Cruising website of cruise critic members Barbara and Olin - http://cruisingstansfields.com. They are on the 2007 Amsterdam world cruise. This is a fantastic website!!! If you read the 2/17 - 2/18 log entry, on the menu that evening was sauteed crocodile filet and kangaroo steak. There are pictures of how HAL presented these dinners. I would not be adventurous enough to try either but they did look good. My husband's mouth was watering when viewing this.

The parmesean encrusted chicken is not to be missed...served on the last night. Yum! ;)

Yes, I've had that from time to time and it is delicious. That is something I would only have on a VERY occasional basis.....like last night on a cruise. ;)

As far as new ideas go, I would love to see more creative salmon entrees.

I LOVE salmon and eat it any which way they serve it. There are times I have it so many nights on a cruise, the steward is afraid I'll start to 'swim upstream'. :)

Maryland she-crab soup

Dungeness Crab Cakes

The wonderful Pacific fish from Hawaii - Opakapaka, Ono, and especially Au and Kajiki.

Game (venison, elk, quail, etc.) would be a good addition to the Pinnacle Grill menu from time to time.

Sail7seas, I too love salmon and I had it twice on my recent Noordam cruise. I ordered the plain grilled salmon that was on the bottom of the menu and was surprised at how good it was. It went well with all the chocolate desserts! :) :)

I would love to see better sushi at the Lido...like real sushi. It shouldn't be so hard to do.

I LOVE salmon and eat it any which way they serve it. There are times I have it so many nights on a cruise, the steward is afraid I'll start to 'swim upstream'. :)

LOL ... yes, Judy ... you sound a great deal like Christopher. He eats so much seafood on our cruises that I expect to find gills growing on his neck by the time we disembark. Salmon at EVERY breakfast, etc. YUCK!

LOL ... yes, Judy ... you sound a great deal like Christopher. He eats so much seafood on our cruises that I expect to find gills growing on his neck by the time we disembark. Salmon at EVERY breakfast, etc. YUCK!

After the night we dined at your tables, the next night our steward wondered if I again had Salmon?? :D

I hope I get to meet Christopher..... And enjoy some salmon with him on Eurodam.

I would love to see more shellfish available and some interesting seafood pasta entrees. And a better selection of salads nightly.

WHOLE WHEAT pasta dishes with SEAFOOD would be my idea of heaven. A red sauce; an olive oil/garlic sauce; some parmesan....... I'd be thrilled.

An excellent puttenesca......Hmmm. I just had a thought. Maybe with the addition of the Lido Italian Restaurant we've heard will be on Eurodam, maybe we might actually see something like that. Probably not. I think it more likely the menu will resemble the old Marco Polo/Odyssey, which were excellent IMO But I eat more cautiously today than I did in those 'younger' days. ;)

I would love to see decent sushi on HAL, even if there was a minimal charge for it.

I also really enjoy the Aqua Spa Cafe on Celebrity and choose it for breakfast and lunch most days. A choice like this on HAL would be superb:).

WHOLE WHEAT pasta dishes with SEAFOOD would be my idea of heaven. A red sauce; an olive oil/garlic sauce; some parmesan....... I'd be thrilled.

An excellent puttenesca......Hmmm. I just had a thought. Maybe with the addition of the Lido Italian Restaurant we've heard will be on Eurodam, maybe we might actually see something like that. Probably not. I think it more likely the menu will resemble the old Marco Polo/Odyssey, which were excellent IMO But I eat more cautiously today than I did in those 'younger' days. ;)

That brings up an interesting subject:

Since I'm Celiac - I have to navigate the menus carefully, I need fewer dishes with wheat...

So more wheat-free/non-pastry desserts please! (Besides ice cream...)

I missed the 'always available' section that was missing from the bottom of our menus on the Zaandam. I would have loved to have the salmon some nights. I'd also like to have brown rice and/or whole wheat pasta. Since I'm limited to whole wheat pasta, that took away all the pasta choices last time. Now that I'm trying to eat healthier, I've found that I actually prefer brown rice.

Sail's salmon & pasta dish sounds wonderful!

Brian......

How about Soy Pasta? Can you eat that?

That's a satisfactory substitution for me in place of white pasta.

I prefer whole wheat but certainly would be happy to have soy offered.

Mary Ellen......... :) Sounds like you and I look for similar foods to be offered.

Archived