Can You Take Soda On The Ship Or Not

ace19cihl

No you can't take soda. You also have to dress formal on formal nights in the dining room, casual elegant on the other nights, can't save deck chairs, can't bring irons, can't smuggle booze, and can't leave you balcony door open. Anything else I forget?:rolleyes:

Can't put your diapered baby in the pools and hot tubs? :D

I would say to anyone who absolutely needs a particular beverage......just take it. Worst case scenario is they take it away from you. There are so many threads on here asking the same question. Its like the song "what part of no don't you understand"

Well you know, now that I think about it. I called Carnival, made my ressies, and paid a bunch of money.

Then someone on here pointed out that CCl has posted some new "rules" on their web site and I looked.

I am not required to check on the internet for "rule" changes.

I would bet that I'm not even expected to know about these changes.

If Carnival really expected me to know and abide by a change in policy or rules, then they would need to send me a letter, right?

At least an e-mail.

When my cruise last year was cancelled I got a phone call, an e-mail, and a letter, so they know how to get in touch with me if they want to. I frequently get a bunch of junk in the mail that they want me to have.

But I haven't received a letter about no cokes and no water, have you?

Well you know, now that I think about it. I called Carnival, made my ressies, and paid a bunch of money.

Then someone on here pointed out that CCl has posted some new "rules" on their web site and I looked.

If Carnival really expected me to know and abide by a change in policy or rules, then they would need to send me a letter, right?

At least an e-mail.

When my cruise last year was cancelled I got a phone call, an e-mail, and a letter, so they know how to get in touch with me if they want to. I frequently get a bunch of junk in the mail that they want me to have.

Doesn't matter. They don't have to send you squat. Your contract says the rules are subject to change at any time at their complete discretion. So they kind of got you by the short and curlies, whether you like it or not.

Back to the original question. No, it does not sound like you received a 45 day letter. It sounds like you received a reply from Bob Dickinson.

A 45 day letter will be very specific about giving you instructions to call someone "45 days before your next cruise" (hence the name) and it will include a code number to give the operator.

At least an e-mail.

Sorry...ignorance of the 'rules' is never an excuse for breaking them. If a cop pulls you over for speeding, are you going to tell him/her that you didn't notice the speed limit sign, and that nobody sent you an email warning you about the speed limits, so therefore, you're not guilty?

We are all responsible for taking ownership of our own lives, and making ourselves aware of 'the rules'.. Saying that 'nobody told you' is a cop out, pure and simple..

Sorry...ignorance of the 'rules' is never an excuse for breaking them. If a cop pulls you over for speeding, are you going to tell him/her that you didn't notice the speed limit sign, and that nobody sent you an email warning you about the speed limits, so therefore, you're not guilty?

We are all responsible for taking ownership of our own lives, and making ourselves aware of 'the rules'.. Saying that 'nobody told you' is a cop out, pure and simple..

You're analogy is not quite correct here. Not everyone who cruises knows about these message boards, or even has a computer. If they get their documents and it says they can bring aboard a reasonable amount of non-alcoholic beverages, it's not ignorance of the rules now, is it?

You're analogy is not quite correct here. Not everyone who cruises knows about these message boards, or even has a computer. If they get their documents and it says they can bring aboard a reasonable amount of non-alcoholic beverages, it's not ignorance of the rules now, is it?

To some degree, yes it is. However, as Rob said, they can change the rules at any time so the uninformed are still subject to those rules, like it or not.

Right on. ;)

To some degree, yes it is. However, as Rob said, they can change the rules at any time so the uninformed are still subject to those rules, like it or not.

Not exactly correct. They MAY have changed the rules (still open to debate), but since they don't e-mail, make people read CC, etc., they are apparently not enforcing the rule yet ( if, in fact, they have intentions of eventually doing so). ;)

Not exactly correct. They MAY have changed the rules (still open to debate), but since they don't e-mail, make people read CC, etc., they are apparently not enforcing the rule yet ( if, in fact, they have intentions of eventually doing so). ;)

But, until they change the docs (which I have every reason to think they are doing now since they have already changed the contract), they can just enforce what is actually on there... a REASONABLE amount, and they can decide any amount they want to... hopefully they will at least stop those that are wheeling up their coolers to the ship :rolleyes:

At least an e-mail.

But you are expected to read your docs when you receive them, so I would go with whatever is said in those docs. I would guess we'll start seeing new docs with the batches being sent out in the coming weeks... and even still, they can enforce what is in the current docs, and it is solely up to THEM what is a reasonable amount.

I have a question for those who are adamant about smuggling their brand on board because it's the "only thing they'll drink and they have to have it".

If you get to the pier and security takes your Pepsi or whatever away from you (it could happen), will you turn around, go home, miss your cruise and be out a lot of money because you can't have your soda brand for a few days? I don't think travel insurance would cover that reason! :D

Not trying to be smart, just curious on the "plan B".

Agreed. It's definitely open to debate since we're getting conflicting reports. However, we shall see what happens once the docs are updated to reflect the info on the Web site.

But you are expected to read your docs when you receive them, so I would go with whatever is said in those docs. I would guess we'll start seeing new docs with the batches being sent out in the coming weeks... and even still, they can enforce what is in the current docs, and it is solely up to THEM what is a reasonable amount.

Exactly the resonable amount is up to them. If they allow people to wheel their coolers on, then they consider that reasonable!!!! Why do you care so much what other people do???:p

Here's the bottom line. It appears from the "Legal" section on their website that they have changed the rules. However, from the recent experiences of those who have cruised within the last couple of weeks, myself included, they are NOT enforcing those new rules. They may in the future, but are not right now.

Personally, I would take whatever I wanted but be prepared to have it taken away. It's doubful but may happen.

I have a question for those who are adamant about smuggling their brand on board because it's the "only thing they'll drink and they have to have it".

If you get to the pier and security takes your Pepsi or whatever away from you (it could happen), will you turn around, go home, miss your cruise and be out a lot of money because you can't have your soda brand for a few days? I don't think travel insurance would cover that reason! :D

Not trying to be smart, just curious on the "plan B".

No, I wouldn't. That would be silly, wouldn't it? ;) I will have to drink something else, probably Sprint, if I wanted a soda, or a frozen something or other, perhaps a Corona or Red Stripe. Then I would wait for the first port, find some Pepsi and have a couple. I will probably put a few in my backpack to get me through until the next port. :D

Just got off victory and took 10 24oz bottles of Diet Pepsi, left them out on the countertop all week no one ever mentioned it as a problem
Once you have them onboard, no one is going to complain! Remember, the cabin steward wants a nice tip!!:D

IMHO

We just cruised on the Elation on Mar 31. We carried a cooler with Pepsi and water. When we got to the x-ray machine, I told the screener that I had ice in the cooler and they placed it in a container and even said, you must know about these machines. No problems here and we did not try to hide it.

We just cruised on the Elation on Mar 31. We carried a cooler with Pepsi and water. When we got to the x-ray machine, I told the screener that I had ice in the cooler and they placed it in a container and even said, you must know about these machines. No problems here and we did not try to hide it.

What does ice have to do with x-ray scanner?

We always (this includes last oct. on the miracle and the oct before on the conquest) pack a small carry on size suitcase with water and soda and snacks. At the end of the week we use the suitcase for any souveniers we may have purchased.;)

Leaving on the Spirit May 16th to Alaska.........gettin' excited !!!

Archived