Tipping Concierge

izzy10

Izzy,

We have tipped anywhere from $20.00 to $50.00. On our last trip our concierge, Andrea Levitt, on the Jewel was absolutely wonderful. She arranged room decorations for my husband's birthday, wine selections for dinner, spa appointments, and an appointment with the Loyalty Ambassador. We certainly hope to sail with her again.

We usually go in and have a glass of wine before dinner and always get coffee in the morning. Hope this helps.

Rena

I think it depends on the length of the cruise. $20 - $75 is reasonable. We always tip some at the beginning and more at the end. Don't know if there is a cause and effect, but we have always had great services from the concierge

Mark

So then most of you only tip at the end of the cruise then? You don't tip daily, or per drink? We are also interested in the proper etiquette

I've never seen anyone tip daily or after a drink. I don't pre-tip either. Based on what I read in the article in "under the captain's table" by Joyce, concerning tipping, I don't want any of my tips to be percieved as a bribe.

The conceirge can certainly get busy at times and I wouldn't want him to have to keep stuffing dollars in his pocket after each drink. He or she may be speaking to someone else when I leave the lounge and I wouldn't want to interupt them either. Plus...you know how dirty money can be. There's no reason to dirty up his hands between his many duties, some of which are handling food and drink. If you know what I mean. :) (germs)

Yes, I let him do his thing, and then on the final evening we personally thank him for all he's done - some concierges are really "special" (most know what I mean) - and we descreetly hand him a bill we have specially selected for him (or her) based on the entire array of services rendered.

So then most of you only tip at the end of the cruise then? You don't tip daily, or per drink? We are also interested in the proper etiquette

We have always tipped at the end of the cruise..............mommabean is right.......they are way too busy during the cruise to deal with tips (although I bet they would take the time:rolleyes: )

It is my hope all of you get to experience Andrea as Concierge on the Jewel.........by far the best of the best............

Our first time using the Concierge/Lounge was on Brilliance. Katherine, the Concierge was wonderful to us. Every night we went in and had a drink or two before dinner. We did not use any other of her services. At the end of the cruise, we figured what we would have had to tip for the drinks if we had gotten them at a bar. Then, we added $20 more.

On Mariner, Riccardo never made drinks for us and we never used any of his services. There was a young man who made our drinks every night, so we again figured what it would have been for the tip on those drinks and that's what we gave him. We also gave a tip to Riccardo, but he didn't get as much as Katherine did.

To me the tip depends on what the Concierge does for us. We couldn't get Chops reservations on Mariner and I mentioned that to Riccardo and he didn't seem concerned nor did he offer to try to get them for us. To me, that meant he wasn't much interested in getting a larger tip. So, we tipped accordingly.

Katie

• 2 weeks later...

DH and I drank in the concierge lounge on Voyager every evening before dinner and had a latte there every morning, plus we had her book the specialty restaurants and ice skating. We tipped $50 for a 10 day cruise, thinking $2.50 per person per day was fair.

Viv

$20 to me is the minimum if you're using the lounge during your cruise for breakfast or cocktails since the Concierge is at least involved in the setup and pouring the drinks (that has varied by ship). I think we gave Katherine triple that on a 3-nighter on Brilliance - she arranged for our laundry to be expedited (seriously delayed boarding meant we had to have same day service) and comped the entire load, made reservations, refilled drinks without being asked (that's good and bad) and pretty much never sat down the entire cruise!

On the other hand, we gave Alastair $20 on each leg of our B2B. He made us Chops & Portofino reservations and was pleasant enough, but he was pretty low energy.

We've had the pleasure of enjoying both Andrea and Katherine - both lovely ladies and most helpful. Like all others, we've tipped at the end of the cruise. I bring along some thank you notes that I've picked up (usually reflecting our local area) and send a note along with the tip.

MommaBean ~ It doesn't hurt if the concierge is a tall fantastic looking studmuffin named Julian? Maybe a little "extra" tip there, right;) ? We leave in 5 weeks for our first cruise as diamond with the fantastic Becky Luv from Mariner. I can't wait! I know she will be awesome, although I wouldn't mind having a male concierge to flirt with, just a little.;)

E-Beth

MommaBean ~ It doesn't hurt if the concierge is a tall fantastic looking studmuffin named Julian? Maybe a little "extra" tip there, right;) ? We leave in 5 weeks for our first cruise as diamond with the fantastic Becky Luv from Mariner. I can't wait! I know she will be awesome, although I wouldn't mind having a male concierge to flirt with, just a little.;)

E-Beth

I thought the concierge on the Mariner was male, Becky "Hullo my Luv" is the CD

E-Beth

:D And reading the post following yours, I feel like I've been being too tight with my concierge tip. :o

Julian does handle his lounge well and provides that little something "extra". :)

I have a few questions please. I am a diamond member but have never been fortunate enough to sail on a RCCL cruise with a diamond or concierge lounge – from what I understand these are two different things. What is the difference between them? Being diamond can I use either? If I am in a cabin with somebody who is not diamond can he also come in with me – he will turn platinum on our next cruise, or do I have to go in alone? I am looking at booking a cruise on either the Freedom or Liberty this fall – though still a bit nervous about a ship that large, then a trip on the Mariner next February if it makes a difference what ship I am on. (And most likely we will book a junior suite.)

Thank you very much!

I have a few questions please. I am a diamond member but have never been fortunate enough to sail on a RCCL cruise with a diamond or concierge lounge – from what I understand these are two different things. What is the difference between them? Being diamond can I use either? If I am in a cabin with somebody who is not diamond can he also come in with me – he will turn platinum on our next cruise, or do I have to go in alone? I am looking at booking a cruise on either the Freedom or Liberty this fall – though still a bit nervous about a ship that large, then a trip on the Mariner next February if it makes a difference what ship I am on. (And most likely we will book a junior suite.)

Thank you very much!

I think only the freedom class has a separate diamond lounge from the concierge lounge. On the rest of the ships, it's a duel purpose lounge for both diamond and suite guests.

Technically your traveling mate is not supposed to be permitted in the concierge lounge if they are not also diamond, but I do think that in most cases the concierge will allow it especially if it's not already over crowded in the lounge. If you are traveling with guests in other cabins they definitely aren't permitted in the lounge. Julian, on board the Enchantment, will make sure that no one sneaks in under those conditions. Some will definitely try the first night, but he straightens things out quickly with a smile on his face and his usual charm. :D

Archived