Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Great Roz...now your bar bill is covered! :D

Are you kidding! On this cruise, I plan to start drinking the second I hit the port and not stopping until a day before I drive home.........Just to give me a chance to sober-up!!!!!!

I'm not much of a drinker but look out "foo-foo" MaMa Roz is on a roll!!!!!! :D

So, I'm reading Cruise Critic and my Roll Call page. One of the folks talked about how he got a discount on our upcoming cruise from his TA......I am yet to get a discount from my TA unless I beg for it!

Well, here I go - Begging - I sent off an email to my TA and asked if there's any discounts given for my cruise in April [of which the final payment will be due at the end of this month.] I owe $400. He writes back, "your cruise is paid in full, and you will be getting a refund on your AX card of $300 within 10 business days!"

What? Not that I'm refusing the discount or the money back but seriously, did it have to take an email from me to prompt him to let me know? Or, even worse, for me to even get it?

Geeeezzzz! Guys! $700.00 refund, that's pretty darn nice but would I have received it at all, if I didn't ask for it?

Woooohoooo Roz thats awesome!!!

My goodness.....when I talked about our warm weather, I didn't realize that it was going to get hotter and hotter. Now, since the winds are refusing to go away, we're getting some really bad fires in our mountain areas. And, since L.A. is surrounded by hills and very dense brushy areas that have not been rained on in years, the fires have tons of dry fuel to feed off of.

It's very sad to see. Because where there are mountains and brush there will be wildlife. We've encroached so much on the areas that once belonged to so many species of wildlife, these fires will only force them further and further into the tracts of homes that we've developed and you know that they will be killed.

It's so difficult to watch. A lot that is burning now are ranches with boarded pleasure horses and just a myriad of animals. The homeowners and firemen are scampering to save every one of them! I wish I could help more. I'd only be in their way!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

My goodness.....when I talked about our warm weather, I didn't realize that it was going to get hotter and hotter. Now, since the winds are refusing to go away, we're getting some really bad fires in our mountain areas. And, since L.A. is surrounded by hills and very dense brushy areas that have not been rained on in years, the fires have tons of dry fuel to feed off of.

It's very sad to see. Because where there are mountains and brush there will be wildlife. We've encroached so much on the areas that once belonged to so many species of wildlife, these fires will only force them further and further into the tracts of homes that we've developed and you know that they will be killed.

It's so difficult to watch. A lot that is burning now are ranches with boarded pleasure horses and just a myriad of animals. The homeowners and firemen are scampering to save every one of them! I wish I could help more. I'd only be in their way!

Ugh I hate reading about those nasty fires. So many peoples homes destroyed. It's so sad. All those firefighters in danger and those 19 that were killed, how awful.

Speaking of fires, there was a wonderful story on the TODAY show this morning at 7:45 about Fire K9 teams that work on arson investigations. They showed the doggies in training to sniff out accelerants and give a signal. All labs, black and golden.

My husband wondered why they weren't wearing foot coverings in the burned areas littered with nails, etc but near the end of the segment, that was addressed. Apparently the trainers have found it's safer because for one thing the dogs shift their foot weight off obstacles they are able to feel through their pads.

(I'm such a sucker for a good dog story on TV. Got my "homework" yesterday from Dogs for the Deaf, including several books to read.)

The LA fires are so tragic especially because they were preventable, caused by humans, not lightning. Be safe, Roz.

Ugh I hate reading about those nasty fires. So many peoples homes destroyed. It's so sad. All those firefighters in danger and those 19 that were killed, how awful.

We didn't have 19 killed......Thank God! Our winds have died down and we're expecting to start cooling off this weekend!

Firemen were injured and the three men who started it were arrested and their bail was set very high!

Speaking of fires, there was a wonderful story on the TODAY show this morning at 7:45 about Fire K9 teams that work on arson investigations. They showed the doggies in training to sniff out accelerants and give a signal. All labs, black and golden.

My husband wondered why they weren't wearing foot coverings in the burned areas littered with nails, etc but near the end of the segment, that was addressed. Apparently the trainers have found it's safer because for one thing the dogs shift their foot weight off obstacles they are able to feel through their pads.

(I'm such a sucker for a good dog story on TV. Got my "homework" yesterday from Dogs for the Deaf, including several books to read.)

The LA fires are so tragic especially because they were preventable, caused by humans, not lightning. Be safe, Roz.

Chris, just think that one day you'll have an amazing hero in your life too! I'm thrilled for your adventure, now start studying and have a wonderful weekend!

Hi Everyone-----

Dropping in to say Hi to all of you. Hope everyone is doing good. I am fine, just busy getting my painting ready for the Art show on Feb. 9th.

Cindy, John, Lee and Wex--------have a great cruise. I will be sailing at the end of the month.

Hi Everyone-----

Dropping in to say Hi to all of you. Hope everyone is doing good. I am fine, just busy getting my painting ready for the Art show on Feb. 9th.

Cindy, John, Lee and Wex--------have a great cruise. I will be sailing at the end of the month.

Good luck with your Art Show, Trudy.

Where are you sailing to?

I am going on my first cruise next Feb. with RCCL to the Bahamas and trying to find out if my guide dog will be welcome in Nasaw?

Shelbear, welcome: Your Vet will have the forms to fill out. You will need all immunizations to be current, your Vet will examine your dog and make sure that he/she is current on shots, skin & fur clean and clear of parasites, infection, etc. Make sure your dog is on heartguard and a flea/tick abatement med.

Be careful of Nassau because there are loose dogs on the beaches.....remember, there are NO LEASH LAWS in a lot of foreign ports like we have in the USA.

Contact the Access Care Department of RCCL to make sure that you are meeting all the requirements that they will need for your dog. And, double-check where they will be putting the potty box and what type of filler they will use.

Does anyone no what health form is needed for the cruise ship and the port of Cozumel? Confused by a Health Certificate from a vet and APHIS Form. Which do I need ? Thanks

ShakeNBake, welcome: No confusion. It's the same form, I believe. Your Vet should be very helpful in what you will need to travel with your dog.

I believe Cindy and John have been to Cozumel and they should be able to assist you with what you'll need or ask your Vet.

Also, checking with the Special Needs Dept. of your chosen cruise line will be the best place to get the information you will need as to getting your dog onboard.

I have never had more fun traveling than when I started cruising with my wonderful dogs. Brenda had finished her 15th before she retired and Horton will be on his 4th soon. You're going to love it. And, the new friends that you will make add that much more to your life.

Have fun planning and cruising with your dog.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I am going on my first cruise next Feb. with RCCL to the Bahamas and trying to find out if my guide dog will be welcome in Nasaw?

Welcome Shelbear! I have the form for the bahamas, which I will post. You need to send it in a few months before you go, or faxing it is your best bet. They are on "island time" and are very slow sending things back. I sent our form at the beginning of November and finally had to call last week because it wasn't here yet.

Write service dog, or in your case, guide dog on the top of the form and they will waive the $10.00 charge.

Cindy

bahamas_import.pdf

Does anyone no what health form is needed for the cruise ship and the port of Cozumel? Confused by a Health Certificate from a vet and APHIS Form. Which do I need ? Thanks

Welcome shakeNbake! We have only done one western Caribbean with our dog. I think all you need is the international health certificate and they will not accept your dog if it has not had a rabies within a year. They do not recognize a three year rabies shot. We did not do the shot and we were able to get off anyway. But they were not happy and told us next time we would have to get the shot. We do not get off the ship if an island requires unnecessary shots, tests or asks for money. I did not like the intimidating way they made me feel everytime we stopped at a new island and I had to bring him down for inspection. They made me sit there and didn't even look at the dog, just glared at me. I was very uncomfortable.

Cindy

Good luck with your Art Show, Trudy.

Where are you sailing to?

Thanks Roz. The Art Show is always a fun time and I hope to be lucky and sell a couple of paintings. :D

We are sailing to the Bahamas. St. Thomas, St. Martin, Nassau. And three days at sea. We usually don't go far from the ship, Ed has a hard time walking and breathing. We enjoy the cruise and the Balcony and do a lot of reading.

Have a good day.

Welcome shakeNbake! We have only done one western Caribbean with our dog. I think all you need is the international health certificate and they will not accept your dog if it has not had a rabies within a year. They do not recognize a three year rabies shot. We did not do the shot and we were able to get off anyway. But they were not happy and told us next time we would have to get the shot. We do not get off the ship if an island requires unnecessary shots, tests or asks for money. I did not like the intimidating way they made me feel everytime we stopped at a new island and I had to bring him down for inspection. They made me sit there and didn't even look at the dog, just glared at me. I was very uncomfortable.

Cindy

Thanks for you input. We are trying this short cruise to see how it goes for a longer future trip. The confusion is on several sites entry requirements. Some indicate only Rabies and Distemper are needed, and some have additional shots needed such as hepatitis, heartworm. I don't care if we don't get off ship. We had cancelled a short cruise recently because the special service TA insisted on all inoculations including one a port requiring a titer test incase I had to be removed for medical reasons. The form 7001, after exam from a local vet, do I have to physically bring to a aphis approved vet which is 3 hrs. away to get a stamped seal? The other concern although well trained, has he never used a litter box. Cruise line is RCI . Also what do about ports requiring micro chips? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks Roz. The Art Show is always a fun time and I hope to be lucky and sell a couple of paintings. :D

We are sailing to the Bahamas. St. Thomas, St. Martin, Nassau. And three days at sea. We usually don't go far from the ship, Ed has a hard time walking and breathing. We enjoy the cruise and the Balcony and do a lot of reading.

Have a good day.

Good Luck! I love doing absolutely nothing and just relaxing! Enjoy!

Thanks for you input. We are trying this short cruise to see how it goes for a longer future trip. The confusion is on several sites entry requirements. Some indicate only Rabies and Distemper are needed, and some have additional shots needed such as hepatitis, heartworm. I don't care if we don't get off ship. We had cancelled a short cruise recently because the special service TA insisted on all inoculations including one a port requiring a titer test incase I had to be removed for medical reasons. The form 7001, after exam from a local vet, do I have to physically bring to a aphis approved vet which is 3 hrs. away to get a stamped seal? The other concern although well trained, has he never used a litter box. Cruise line is RCI . Also what do about ports requiring micro chips? Any info much appreciated.

Every island has different requirements. It would be great if they were all the same. In recent weeks we have heard that one cruiseline is making you do requirements for all islands even if you don't plan to get off the ship. While I do understand if you get sick your dog will not be able to get off the ship, I also do not like that I have to do unnecessary and expensive tests for our dog. Our cruiseline does not require us to do that. And NEVER pay any island money!! We have never had our health certificate certified by the USDA. It's a couple hour ride for us too. We have never been questioned about this. Make sure your vet is certified.

Our dog has a tatoo and no microchip. So far we have been ok with this. I think your dog has to have one of those to identify them. I noticed that in the past few years, more islands are requiring microchips. Eventually we will probably have to get one.

Maybe someone knows more about the litter box situation. The place where Wexler was trained have sorta sectioned off boxes in the dirt where all the dogs go potty, so Wexler took to the box right away. Try to section off a space for your dog at home and make the dog go there to practice.