NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Sorry if this has been covered, I am having trouble searching.

I am getting resistance from NCL in splitting a certificate between two cruises I've booked (they are one-nighters, hence the need to split a $500 between them).

I can't find a "rule" that prohibits this.

Any advice/ideas?

Thanks.

Misty: We have done this in the past. We had $2000 in certificates. We applied $1200 to one cruise and $800 to the other. We did not book through NCL and still there wasn't a problem. I had attached a letter with the certificates I mailed to NCL asking them to apply so much to each reservation. You may want to keep calling until you get someone who will do it for you.

Misty: We have done this in the past. We had $2000 in certificates. We applied $1200 to one cruise and $800 to the other. We did not book through NCL and still there wasn't a problem. I had attached a letter with the certificates I mailed to NCL asking them to apply so much to each reservation. You may want to keep calling until you get someone who will do it for you.

Thanks.

Timeline:

First set of vouchers on DH's card took 10 business days to arrive.

second set of vouchers from second card came in less than a week.

I JUST got back from the Post office where I mailed the vouchers along with a copy of my confirmation from my TA to the address on page one of this thread...I insured it and got a confirmation of receipt, Priority mail. This cost $26, but is well worth feeling a bit calmer that it gets where it's supposed to go and I don't lose out.

I'll get back to you all when I get the credit. Hopefully it won't take too long :)

Have been too busy for CC these past 2 weeks, but the vouchers were credited to my account in about a week after I mailed them. :D

I now owe less than $200 for final payment; life is good. :D :D

I live in Minnesota. I sent my Compass Rewards first class on Monday through the USPS and my account was credited today (Friday). I sent them return receipt. The post office sent me an email when they were signed for. I was surprised how fast my account was credited! It cost me $4.14 to send my reward certificates in.

Is your exact anniversary date listed somewhere? I can't seem to find an exact date. However on my first statement it says closing date 10/26, with 31 days in the billing cycle. Do I use this to assume my anniversary date is around 9/26?

Also I had to get a new card a few months after I opened the account due to fradulent charges. However since my points continued from day 1, I assume my anniversary is still when I opened the initial account? And wouldn't have changed to when I got the replacement card?

Thanks for any insight!

Icewarrior: Do not take any chances especially if you get close to the 1000 cap each year. Just call the customer service phone number on the back of your cc and they will be able to tell you or connect you to someone who can tell you your exact anniversary date within a minute or two.

I'm not sure that an anniversary date per se is the key. The 1,000 points are over a continuous 12-month rolling period. For example, you don't 'start over' after having the card for one year. Rather, every 12-month cycle is limited to 1,000 points.

January 2005-December 2005 max 1,000 points

February 2005-January 2006 max 1,000 points

March 2005-February 2006 max 1,000 points

So if you hit 1,000 points after your eighth month, you have to wait for the thirteenth month to start earning points again.

Looking at my post it sounds a lot more complicated than it really is.

My suggestion is an excel worksheet with three important columns:

points earned current month, cumulative points earned for the past 12 months and finally, cumulative points to redeem. The 2nd and 3rd columns wil be identical UNTIL you redeem points.

The 2nd column is the sum of the previous 12 months.

Good luck! :D

I'm not sure that an anniversary date per se is the key. The 1,000 points are over a continuous 12-month rolling period. For example, you don't 'start over' after having the card for one year. Rather, every 12-month cycle is limited to 1,000 points.

January 2005-December 2005 max 1,000 points

February 2005-January 2006 max 1,000 points

March 2005-February 2006 max 1,000 points

So if you hit 1,000 points after your eighth month, you have to wait for the thirteenth month to start earning points again.

Looking at my post it sounds a lot more complicated than it really is.

My suggestion is an excel worksheet with three important columns:

points earned current month, cumulative points earned for the past 12 months and finally, cumulative points to redeem. The 2nd and 3rd columns wil be identical UNTIL you redeem points.

The 2nd column is the sum of the previous 12 months.

Good luck! :D

I think I agree with you :o . Just want to add that points start accumlating on the 1st usage after the card is issued, thus potentially, everyone could be on a different 12 month schedule (think that's where the anniversary date comes in to play) and it's not based on a calender year.

Thanks....the reason the anniversary date could come into play...is if you are close to that date and have hit your 1,000 max for the year....but you may have a big purchase coming up....i want to be sure to wait to charge that once my anniversary date has passed and my points start accuring again...

ICEWARRIOR:

Now I see what you mean about the anniversary date. Just remember that the last twelve rolling months are all that matter.

I got my first card in May 2002. In March 2008, I still had to look at total points accumulated from April 2007 through March 2008 for my 1,000 point max.

Feb 2007 'falls out' of my total (to accumulate 1,000 in a year), but of course the points earned remains in my 'bank.'

I think we are saying the same thing, just differently.

To encourage others, I have cashed in 7,000 points to pay for 3 cruises, and I am cashing in another 3,000 points to pay for a Feb 09 cruise.

Happy sailing!

wow 7K! that is encouraging!

I am so glad I read these posts and got the card a year ago. Only wish I had done it sooner!

Here is another question - im going on an NCL cruise this fall with my parents. Would NCL let me put my NCL card down on both my shipboard account and my parents ? If the card is only in my name? and we didn't book together?

I've read so many good things about this card. Using simple math, do I need to spend 16666.666666 for 3 point purchases, and/or 12500 for 4 point purchase to get a $500 dollar reward? Hope my math is right?:confused: Thanks!

You are right, for only regular purchases you need $16K+ to earn the $500 certificate; or a combination of NCL purchases and regular to fall somewhere in between the $12.5K and $16K.

Reminder: do NOT order your certificates more than one year before the sailing. I was overeager once and the Certs expired 3 weeks before my cruise.

I got lucky - I called NCL and they said to just return the certs when I received them and just to reorder when I was within the 1 year. If they tighten up and refuse to reissue that could cause problems for NCL fans.

Can I make more than one "certificate" payment toward the same cruise?

In other words, can I submit $1500 in certificates now to reduce my final payment and then another $500 certificate in a couple months when I've accumulated the needed points? All $2000 certificates toward the same cruise?

I apologize since I'm sure my question has been answered already. I tried to read through all these posts but couldn't find an answer. I tried searching too, but didn't know what words to use in a search??? :o

Can I make more than one "certificate" payment toward the same cruise?

In other words, can I submit $1500 in certificates now to reduce my final payment and then another $500 certificate in a couple months when I've accumulated the needed points? All $2000 certificates toward the same cruise?

I apologize since I'm sure my question has been answered already. I tried to read through all these posts but couldn't find an answer. I tried searching too, but didn't know what words to use in a search??? :o

yes you can...as long as they get there reasonable close to final payment and before the cruise...

Question for you...I received $1000 in certificates today for my Feb 2009 cruise....should I send them to NCL now, or with my final payment? (TA said to mail them to NCL directly and just let him know when I did it)...

now why wait? better they have them and credit them than you have a chance to lose them....

I was just asking because the print on the certificate says to mail them in with your final payment....:)

you can ask. I gave you an answer....you can send them in and they will be credited no matter what the paper says. I don't order mine until close to the cruise or when I do a last minute sometimes after I have paid in full, they have so far always credited them back. You have them now...you can keep them if you want or send them in.