The Happy Wanderer---Swingin' On A Star!

RuthC

RuthC-

Thank you so much for your review of the Prinsendam. I would think that any cruise would seem a bit quiet after a cruise with the SpamDammers etc! It's always nice to see friendly faces onboard when we cruise.

My experience of the Prinsendams' service and Lido mirror yours, there is certainly a difference in the food, always fresh and the staff who remember you from day one. I will always love the Elegant Explorer!:D :D

Traveling Solo

I mentioned in an earlier post, and a few posts asked for elaboration, that this was a tough cruise for a single. It was---at least for me.

This ship, on this cruise anyway, was couples to a huge extent. There were very few singles at all, and none that I knew from previous cruises or from CC. I’ve traveled that way extensively, but it’s been a while since I did. For the last several cruises I’ve been with many others that I’ve met on previous cruises or felt I “knew” from CC. I’ve gotten used to that now and I like it. I missed having a buddy right there to share this spectacular cruise with. :(

If you are sailing solo on a different itinerary, or a different ship, YMMV. I wouldn’t want to discourage anyone from sailing solo if it’s that or stay home. It’s worth it to get out there---even if it is by yourself. You will find people to talk to, share a shore excursion with, have a drink with. You won’t be alone every single minute. You just have to work at it a little more, and sometimes you don’t find a pal exactly when you want. That's all I was trying to get across.

Well you've been busy today:) . Thanks for the detailed report. Sounds like you had a good trip. This is an itinerary I'm very interested in. I wanted to do the Norwegian Fiords for our 25th but my husband wanted to do the Baltic instead so we could do the day trip to Moscow. I'm definitely glad we did what he wanted that trip but Norway is still high on my "To Go" list. Does sound like I may want to think about the solo part of it though. Unfortunately most of my friends aren't into cruising or colder weather! But I'm not ready to replace them yet either:D

Sharon, as time goes on you will become more comfortable sailing alone. The first time is terrible, the second hard, the third a bit easier. But you do notice it's better with each successive cruise.

As for seeing Norway, do go. I would suggest a different ship for you, at this time in your life. Other HAL ships have more solo cruisers, and I think that might be easier. Also, if you get comfortable with some CC'ers you might find them on a cruise there that meets your schedule.

You'll have a better idea of how you'll feel about it after the South America cruise.

Ruth,

Thank you so much for your review. You really gave us an insight to the special service on this ship. Everyone always says how special the Prinsendam is, but the details you gave explained a lot.

You spoke of being surrounded by pack ice. Did the ship have to "break through smaller chunks of ice or move through the ice fields as we've experienced in Alaska? Just how heavy was the surrounding ice? ( I'm just trying to visualize.) Thanks again Ruth.

Good to hear they're back to the "normal" size cruise activities staff as opposed to two plus a DJ

Don't know if it's "back to" or "never stopped". :confused: Or "haven't changed yet". :eek:

I did sense that in many ways the Prinsendam is treated differently than the other HAL ships. It isn't just that she was built for a different line, or is arranged differently---although that is there.

It's a very different atmosphere. It's couples who have managed to make it to the later years with their spouse. It's very well-traveled passengers with expectations far beyond those of the typical Caribbean cruiser, or the "new breed" that HAL is trying to attract. It isn't even necessarily "HAL" cruisers sailing this ship!

I don't know that I can define it precisely, but you feel the difference right off the bat.

Example: The music everywhere on the ship---including that piped into the Lido and aft deck---was at a low volume. And all of it was suitable for an older generation. I loved the music at sailaway for a change!

You spoke of being surrounded by pack ice. Did the ship have to "break through smaller chunks of ice or move through the ice fields as we've experienced in Alaska? Just how heavy was the surrounding ice? ( I'm just trying to visualize.)

Think low and flat ice. Think like the skim that you sometimes see on still water, but this is ice and a little thicker. Or think of a frozen pond when the weather is warming and it's starting to break up.

The Polar Ice at the edge is low chunks. We didn't have to "break through" so much as "push away" the chunks. We couldn't get too far in because you don't want the ice to get into the propellers---it can cause damage to them. We went a bit, stayed a while to enjoy and for a crew picture to be taken, then backed out after about an hour there.

Don't know if it's "back to" or "never stopped". :confused: Or "haven't changed yet".......... :eek:

Very possible it never changed on Prinsendam. We had a full staff last year on her also but I've read some reviews since then (other ships) that talked about a drastically reduced cruise activities staff.

Ruth,

Thanks for all the post cruise postings. I hope Thom was a little more relaxed as Cruise Director on this sailing. We had him on the Veendam last Sept/Oct on his first cruise as C.D. and we used to cringe at times for him as he was so stilted. Was Tina, Thom's wife on board as Cruise Consultant?

We did love our time on the Prinsendam back in 2004 and one day we hope to sail on her again. We loved her size but most of all we loved the walk in wardrobes!

Jennie

Was Tina, Thom's wife on board as Cruise Consultant?

Tina may or may not have been onboard, but she wasn't Future Cruise Consultant. That was a woman named Cindy.

The last night, however, I saw Thom dancing with a blond I didn't recognize. Could that have been his wife?

SHOPPING, RUTH!!!!!!! I'M SHOCKED!!!!!!!!! Are you sure you are feeling well???????????????:D

I knew that would bring you out from behind your keyboard! :D

Bought something, too! It's a pretty crystal rose for the Roseroom. Just what that room needs---another rose. :rolleyes:

Hello Ruth!

It's been a long time since I came "on board" but I am so glad that I checked in this evening..........

Thankyou for your thoroughly entertaining epistles from the Prinsendam.My,but you gave me some wonderful memories of my days sailing with HAL.Sadly,those days are over for me due to ill-health but thankfully I can come on board here now and again and live vicariously through terrific folk like you!

So pleased that you had a good trip even though the solo part was a bit of a let-down for you.I do sympathize with you because as you know I was a solo cruiser(19 times)so I know the good and not-so-good parts during a cruise.

Hope you are getting back to normal once more.

I shall pop in now and again to catch up on all of the adventures on this board.

Best wishes,Ruth

Terri ;)

Terri! It's been ages! It's so good of you to drop in and post. I'm honored that you did. :) Thank you. Glad you enjoyed my musings.

I do hope that all is well with you---or at least as well as can be. Please don't be a stranger around here.

Service

Now we’re getting down to the good stuff! Service on this ship was outstanding!!! This is what I come back for time and time again! This is what I remember HAL as being way back when. Way back before the ships started getting bigger and there were more passengers for the crew to get to know. :D

Ruth - I LOVE reading this!!!! Thanks, it gives me hope... a good thing. :)

Tina may or may not have been onboard, but she wasn't Future Cruise Consultant. That was a woman named Cindy.

The last night, however, I saw Thom dancing with a blond I didn't recognize. Could that have been his wife?

Here's a pic of Tina Faulkner from Oosterdam on last New Year's cruise

IMG_5721.JPG.58f33acf4b75581f69b04415852e5168.JPG

Brian will confirm how I like to order: just because the chef decides what meat/potato/vegetable he wants to put on a given plate does not mean RuthC feels the same way! ;) She is prone to select what she wants from each of those groups, and too bad if the chef takes a hissy-fit. My dining room steward took it all in stride. And it took him only ‘til the second night to know that dessert has to be brown. You should have seen the look on his face when a tablemate asked him to tell me they were all out of the chocolate dessert. Panic! Priceless. :D

This is SO true - I saw her do this for 11 days on Noordam this past January. She likes to mix-n-match. :)

And the brown dessert thing - um, yeah. I know I wouldn't want to be the one to tell her there wasn't any left in the kitchen. :eek: Kind of a shoot the messenger thing.

Great review, Ruth.

RuthC, thank you so much for your postings during and after your voyage to the top of the world! What a special trip -- it's so wonderful to hear about adventures "off the beaten path." The Prinsendam is my favourite HAL ship, and your review shows that you appreciate her for the same reasons I do. I'll be watching the boards for the Prinsendam voyage that you and revneal, et al, end up on! It would be so much fun... :)

Just wanted to pop in here and respond to Martha's question about cabin 100.

It was great - no sofa and only one bed which seemed to be bigger than a regular twin. The walk-in closet and bathroom were the same as double cabins and the wall grouping with drawers and TV, etc. were just configured differently. The view out the window was excellent. I especially liked that few people knew about the deck area which was accessed just outside my cabin. I could go out there for pictures of the incredible scenery and not have to fight the crowds on the other decks. I took pictures of the cabin but have no idea how to post them here. If you want to email me, please do and I'll send them to you. Patricia _ field @ comcast . net. Of course, no spaces.

BTW, I saw Thom in town one day with a blond and he had said Friday was their fifth anniversary so I "assumed" that was his wife.

RuthC, I enjoyed talking with you at our CC meetings. I've done a few strickly solo trips - some excellent, some just okay. It's a passenger mix thing - but still a fabulous trip.

Pat

Ruth,

Thanks for your comprehensive report on the Prinsendam. Because of it, we are really looking forward to our trip on the Prinsendam, October 30, 2008.

Why not join us?:D We've already got a good CC group going. No "solo woes" on this cruise!

Ruth,

Thanks for your comprehensive report on the Prinsendam. Because of it, we are really looking forward to our trip on the Prinsendam, October 30, 2008.

Why not join us?:D We've already got a good CC group going. No "solo woes" on this cruise!

DITTO what Dan says :).

We would love to have you, Ruth!

Marie

Thanks, Dan and Marie. I really have been giving this cruise some thought, but I think I have a better (for me, anyway) idea.

I can get a 10-day Baltic cruise without having to pay any airfare! :D That's 'cause I'll already be on the E-dam, so I can stay on for the second 10-day cruise on the same plane ticket. That's a real consideration.

So, much as I appreciate the invite I think it won't come to pass this time. :(

Archived