The Happy Wanderer---Swingin' On A Star!

RuthC

Ruth - Totally understand why the Ocean Bar isn't the lounge of choice - no HAL Pals & the Dance Hosts only want to chat with each other. :(

Now then, in the Land of the Midnight Sun, the view from the Crow's Nest should be awesome, even when you pretty much have the place to yourself after dinner. ;) :D Any chance of seeing the Northern Lights, or are they not visible in the summer time?

Oh, and it sounds like Miss Ruth is cleaning out the prize cupboard. ;)

Just in case anyone is wondering,

Seeing that Ruth is sailing toward Svalbard, northwest of the Norwegian mainland, it's possible she won't be able to post for a while. They are about 600 miles or more north of the Arctic Circle. Tromso is 400 miles north and North cape is about 150 miles further. We (pax) lost almost all coverage including TV that far north.

If you remember longtimecruiser, our hosts were mainly vertical but that's about all.

GN

Just in case anyone is wondering,

Seeing that Ruth is sailing toward Svalbard, northwest of the Norwegian mainland, it's possible she won't be able to post for a while. They are about 600 miles or more north of the Arctic Circle. Tromso is 400 miles north and North cape is about 150 miles further. We (pax) lost almost all coverage including TV that far north.

If you remember longtimecruiser, our hosts were mainly vertical but that's about all.

GN

Wow GN, that is unreal that they are travelling so far North!! It sounds like a trip of a lifetime!:D

Are the dance hosts alive and breathing and able to stand up? I'm sure they aren't going out of their way to dance with anybody. Don't blame you for staying up in the Crow's Nest. I wouldn't give up the view on a chance that s dance host might actually be able to dance..........

LOL ... I don't know ... the HAL cruises I've been on where we've had dance hosts ... they were certainly willing to dance ... even if you didn't want to. :) This one old guy kept asking me to dance just about every day ... I would politely turn him down (I have a bad knee) and the next day he would ask again. Then, the night we had the Great Pretenders Show ... at the end when everyone comes on stage for the sock hop ... here comes this old guy making a beeline for me. What could I do? He finally got his dance. But ... oh, boy. The poor guy ... he must have been well into his 80s ... he could barely hear the music and couldn't keep time. But, he sure did try. I had to give him that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've seen a pretty good cross-section of dance host talent on my HAL cruises. I'm sure hoping that there will be one or two with some real dance skills on our October 2008 Prinsendam cruise. I'm planning to dance my way across the Atlantic!

I've seen a pretty good cross-section of dance host talent on my HAL cruises. I'm sure hoping that there will be one or two with some real dance skills on our October 2008 Prinsendam cruise. I'm planning to dance my way across the Atlantic!
Hi Jane! I'm sure Ruth won't mind me jumping in to say I'd love to dance with you again - you're great! Hope you're doing well.

Cheers!

PS - Ruth, keep up the great posts (you know I'd dance with you too, like we did in the Crowsnest last Oct:D )

We've had an assortment of dance hosts on cruises over 16 days. Usually 2 or 3 hosts per cruise and of varying talents.

The very best was Howard on the Rotterdam this past April. He is a professional dancer and only 45. He was a delight to watch, so engergetic and enthusiastic about the job. He volunteered to teach a couple of square dance classes that were very well attended. Additionally, he had a great personality and was a delight to see around the ship.

I hope HAL gets the point and hires him back: he was a huge asset and a great sucess.

I have not seen dance hosts on any cruise, including 10-12 day sails.

We had two on Prinsendam in Europe last year and they were pretty active in the Ocean Bar, constantly asking single ladies to dance. I just had to think of Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon everytime I saw those gents walk in:D Not a bad job though, I think! ;)

Hi Jane! I'm sure Ruth won't mind me jumping in to say I'd love to dance with you again - you're great! Hope you're doing well.

Cheers!

PS - Ruth, keep up the great posts (you know I'd dance with you too, like we did in the Crowsnest last Oct:D )

Hi Richard, Hopefully you are fully recovered and dancing again. Have learned some new waltz steps that you'd love. Also have a sometimes dance partner who knows some neat rhumba and swing moves. Life is good.

Ruth, while you are incommunicado above the arctic circle we hope you don't mind if we use the thread to catch up with old friends.

Hi Adele, good to "see" you here too, along with all the others from the Spamdam cruise.

Jane

I was looking at Ruth's itinerary and saw that she starts heading south again about 1 pm Sunday after leaving Spitsbergen so she should be back in contact with us by Monday, or Tuesday the latest. They are in Longyearbyen today. They arrive in Lerwick in the Shetland islands on Wednesday.

My DH loves the name Longyearbyen and interprets it as "long as yer buying".

We have been looking at this itinerary for 3 years and alas, ithis year's may be the last one....

GN

I'm back! :) Finally!!! :) :) We've been without Internet Service for what seems like forever---I sure missed you folks.

I wrote a report every day, even knowing I couldn't post. So, now with all that built up info I'll do a separate entry for each day. K?

And it sure is ok with me that you used the time to catch up. It was fun to read after all this time out of touch.

The is the report from 8/2/07---

It's a busy day today. We have two sea days as we head even further north than the most northerly point on the European continent.

That means lots of activities! :)

We had a lecture on the history of Norway this morning, and there will be another lecture this afternoon. We also have three separate sessions of scenic cruising with commentary. Of course, with the fog as it is we can't see what Barbara's talking about, but whacha gonna do. :rolleyes: We're passing a place called Bear Island. Look it up on a map---I never heard of it, either.

Yesterday cleared off and turned into a beautiful. sunny day. The Crow's Nest was filled with people who managed to stay up for the scenic cruising of North Cape. It was a kick to see people waayyy up there taking pictures of us as we took pictures of "them".

The sun "set" around midnight and rose again a few minutes later. today it won't set at all. Hopefully the fog will clear enough tonight that I can enjoy the view.

This is the report from 8/3/07

I cannot believe how lucky we've been with the weather! Yesterday, as we approached Bear Island, the fog just lifted and the sun shone on this inhospitable land. The clouds closed in again as we left.

As the day continued we always had a spectacular view when such was desired. All I can say is: WOW!

As I draft this I am sitting outside on Lido aft as we cruise by Magdalina Island in brilliant sunshine. I'm wearing a sundress (ok, everyone else is bundled up) and am very comfortable.

I don't know if we have Internet service (doubt it), so I won't write too much this time. :(

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=royalblue]This is the report from 8/4/07[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Yesterday, as we headed north to the Polar Ice Cap, there was an unfortunate change in plans. A passenger was diagnosed with appendicitis, so the ship made a U-turn and beat a hasty retreat to Longyearbyen so she could be transferred to the hospital. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I don't suppose I'll ever know the outcome, but of course wish her the best. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]This should be a reminder that travel insurance is important. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]So, today at Lonyearbyen is probably as far north in this world that I will ever step. Our stop at Ny Alesund tomorrow is cancelled so we can make another run up to pack ice. Let's hope we make it this time! :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I'm going to try to find an Internet connection in town today. Otherwisw it's going to be a few days before I can get this posted. :( [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I miss accessing the thread every day! :( I miss my HAL-Pal's. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks Ruth for the update -- very sorry to hear about the ill passenger -- I wish her all of the best -- it must be extremely difficult being so ill so far from home!

As for changes in plans, we certainly encountered a few on the Prinsendam last winter -- I hope the rest of your trip is less eventful -- try to make lemonade out of lemons!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=royalblue]This is the report from 8/5/07[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]This is amazing! I can't believe that one hour ago ([SIZE=2]as I draft this[/SIZE]) I was standing on a forward deck surrounded by the Polar Ice Cap! :D We got to within 509 miles of the North Pole at 81 degrees 31.5 minutes North ([SIZE=2]I don't know how to make the little symbol[/SIZE]). That's the furthest north a HAL ship has ever gotten. Not to mention most people! And me!!! :D :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Who in their wildest dreams would ever expect to be on a pleasure cruise here. Like I said---amazing. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Yesterday we were in Longyearbyen, Spitzbergen, Norway---the northernmost city in the world. Now I've been in both Antarctic AND Antarctic ice, as well as the southernmost AND northernmost cities. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Don't think there's easternmost and westernmost, though. :p [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Late word on the passenger with the medical emergency is that her appendix was successfully removed in a traditional (not laproscopic) surgery in Spitzbergen. That was good to hear. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Since there won't be Internet service again for a couple of days I'll end now and go do something else. I promise to behave, though. ;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived