The Happy Wanderer---Swingin' On A Star!

RuthC

Just now saw your reports. First of all have a great cruise, Norway is beautiful as we noticed on a different cruise in May.
I see it is rainy in Bergen today, but hopefully it will improve so you can enjoy the fjords.
Hope to read more about your cruise.

We had rains and gale force winds to the point the rain poured into the Lido and they had to close it down. I've never seen so much water cascading down the stairways on the aft deck from the aft pool!!!

But Ruth's so right about the ease of getting around. Our cabin was in the extreme stern of the ship and the walk to the show lounge was still shorter than even halfway on the Oosterdam!

Greg, amazing prices for that cruise! Too bad you can't take advantage ... I think you would love the Prinsendam. It's such an intimate ship, very special.

Thanks Ruth ... it's what I thought.
Well ... I wouldn't need a particularly wide bed, so long as I won't roll off when I roll over. But I do like having a situation where we can put the two beds together! That might be reason enough to go with an outside double and pay the single supplement.

Heather and ExaltHim, I would love to make that cruise ... the prices are great, and for 24 days on a crossing aboard the [I]Prinsendam[/I] ... WOW! If that cruise were to end ONE day earlier ... on Saturday ... I could do it. But with it ending on Sunday, I just CAN'T. St. Steve's does a "Thanksgiving Love Feast" on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. They hold the morning service as a dinner rather than a traditional service, it starts at 11:30 rather than 11 am, and includes a full thanksgiving lunch as well as the Holy Eucharist. I've never seen it done this way, and I'm looking forward to experiencing it this year. But I'm told that that particular Sunday is just about the most important Sunday for this particular congregation because it was the Sunday the Church was consecrated, and so they celebrate their Patronal Feast every year at that time. Why they didn't do that on St. Stephen's day (December 26) I'll never understand ... they have, in effect, moved St. Stephen's Day back to the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

I'm hoping that there will be something in the [I]Prinsendam's[/I] Itinerary schedule for 2009 that I can jump on. Perhaps an east-bound crossing?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]The skys cleared sufficiently, and the sun came out long enough for the pretty, pretty ride up Geirangerfjord this morning. This has to be one of the lovliest---if not remote---spots in the world. At the head of the fjord there's a little settlement (200 year-round population) with four hotels. :eek: That's a lot of tourists! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]As we sail away in a little while (at least as I prepare this; can't post until we leave the fjord) we'll again have commentary by our Port Lecturer Barbara Haenni. She's given commentary, so far, as we sailed from Amsterdam, Oslo, and in Lysefjord. She knows her stuff and is doing a good job. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]She also does a nice presentation on the ports. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Now, there's something to mention---in Europe that's what the Port Lecturer does. She lectures about the ports. :) She talks about the ports' history, what to see and do there, how to get around. The lecturer [U]is not[/U] selling shore excursions and [U]is not[/U] a shill for stores that have paid for it. :rolleyes: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Need to mention: Internet service in the fjords is spotty at best, and I expect it to be non-existant north of the Arctic Circle. :( So, if I skip a day (or more), that's why. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Otherwise I plan to be checking in with you (and you with me?) every day. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]..................[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Now, there's something to mention---in Europe that's what the Port Lecturer does. She lectures about the ports. :) She talks about the ports' history, what to see and do there, how to get around. The lecturer [U]is not[/U] selling shore excursions and [U]is not[/U] a shill for stores that have paid for it. :rolleyes: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1].............[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

How refreshing!!!! That's fantastic, Ruth. I can remember when that's what the Port Lecturer always did. I've stopped going altogether in the Caribbean because it's so bad.

But then you would know!!! You don't even sail in the Caribbean anymore:D !!!

Keep having a great time and just post when you can. I'm hanging onto every word.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Barbara Haenni has been doing this for a while. IMHO, she's one of the best HAL has and she knows Europe![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Enjoy your cruise, Ruth! BTW, who is your cruise director?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi Ruth!!!!
Thank you so much for posting from your cruise. It is great to hear from you and I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as you have to date. All the best to you!
Cheers!
PS - I even did a song title for ya :D

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]The skys cleared sufficiently, and the sun came out long enough for the pretty, pretty ride up Geirangerfjord this morning. This has to be one of the lovliest---if not remote---spots in the world. At the head of the fjord there's a little settlement (200 year-round population) with four hotels. :eek: That's a lot of tourists! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I think the difference between Alaska and the Norwegian Fjords is that in Norway there are indeed people living along the way. This area is spectacular and I so with I was sailing with you.

Ruth,

I too want to add how much I am enjoying your postings. It does bring back memories of when we were on the Maasdam together back in 2005 and visited some of those ports in Norway.

Keep up the good work.

Jennie

[quote name='Aussie Gal']Ruth,

I too want to add how much I am enjoying your postings. It does bring back memories of when we were on the Maasdam together back in 2005 and visited some of those ports in Norway.

Keep up the good work.

Jennie[/quote]

(Sorry Ruth)

[SIZE=3]Hi Jennie, I just want to say & I have missed your postings, Just the other Day Tom wanted to know if I had seen you posting. Say Hi to Peter:) [/SIZE]

Lisa,

Have been posting a lot on the Oceania Board as we are going on the Nautica in April. Also have been posting quite a bit on the Ports Boards.

I come over here regularly and see what is happening. Have been reading your posts on Alaska as we are off there in September, 2008.

Jennie

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Ruth - Am so totally loving your descriptions of your visits to the ports & fjords. Had no idea you had sailed that area so many times. Next summer will you act as personal tour guide for John & me?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='revneal']Heather and ExaltHim, I would love to make that cruise ... the prices are great, and for 24 days on a crossing aboard the [I]Prinsendam[/I] ... WOW! If that cruise were to end ONE day earlier ... on Saturday ... I could do it. But with it ending on Sunday, I just CAN'T. St. Steve's does a "Thanksgiving Love Feast" on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. They hold the morning service as a dinner rather than a traditional service, it starts at 11:30 rather than 11 am, and includes a full thanksgiving lunch as well as the Holy Eucharist. I've never seen it done this way, and I'm looking forward to experiencing it this year. But I'm told that that particular Sunday is just about the most important Sunday for this particular congregation because it was the Sunday the Church was consecrated, and so they celebrate their Patronal Feast every year at that time. Why they didn't do that on St. Stephen's day (December 26) I'll never understand ... they have, in effect, moved St. Stephen's Day back to the Sunday before Thanksgiving.[/quote]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Greg - As the new pastor, after participating & observing this year's service, can't you just tell your congregation that in order to be absolutely correct, they really should celebrate the Feast Day on the actual saint's day? ;) Then, after Thanksgiving you could book the cruise. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='jhannah']Being north of the Arctic Circle is no excuse! We want our daily report [I]whatever[/I] you have to do! ;)

We peeked in on you today via webcam. It really looked wonderful![/quote]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]1. Totally agree. Ruth - even if you have to write up your notes & post later. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]2. Um, how do you do that? What webcam are you looking at?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Sunshine91'][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]2. Um, how do you do that? What webcam are you looking at?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote] [URL="http://www.webcamsinnorway.com/webcams.php?viewcam=305"]Here's the link[/URL] to the Geiranger webcam that shows ships in the fjord.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][B]We also stopped going to the port lecturers as we learned nothing from them. Maybe things will be different on our longer cruises.[/B][/QUOTE]
You might want to consider going back again. HAL is revamping its entire onboard enrichment programs, and the onboard port lecturers, truly lecturing about the ports, is only one part of that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I just passed a mountain with a hole in it! :eek: Yup---cut clear through. From where I'm sitting as compose this (outside on Lido, aft) it's clear as can be. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Whodda believed! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]We're headding to Bronnoysund and expect to arrive at 1:00 PM. This is the first new port (for me, anyway) on this cruise, so I'm looking forward to it. (Sure, Sunshine. I'll play tourguide for you and John.;) ) The waters are smooth as a bathtub, the sun is out, and it's remarkably warm (60's F). [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]What a beautiful day! :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]There was a little motion last night, but otherwise the seas have been calm, Calm, CALM! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]"Calm" also defines the evening energy level. This is one sleepy little ship. :( There's a few folks in the Ocean Bar (where the two dance hosts spend a lot of time talking to each other), and a few more looking out the window in the Crow's Nest. Then there's me, alone except for the piano player and bar stewards, sitting there enjoying the music. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Oh, well. At least I get to make all the requests. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Oh, well. At least I get to make all the requests. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]And who better to do so?????? ;)

Have you found a great Trivia team yet? You do have to earn that 'P-Dam' mug! It [U]is[/U] missing from your collection. :eek:

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]"Calm" also defines the evening energy level. This is one sleepy little ship. :( There's a few folks in the Ocean Bar (where the two dance hosts spend a lot of time talking to each other), and a few more looking out the window in the Crow's Nest. Then there's me, alone except for the piano player and bar stewards, sitting there enjoying the music. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Oh, well. At least I get to make all the requests. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

You should have brought me with ya!!!! :D
Thank you for the wonderful reports ... keep 'em up!

Archived