The Happy Wanderer---Swingin' On A Star!

RuthC

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]It's expected that the Prinsendam will also be switching over to "As You Wish" dining next Spring, although it can't be set up the same way as on the other ships. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]At least one person suggested that one dining room could be traditional and the other Open Sitting. It's possible this could work, but it might be awkward. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I do find the smaller dining room very attractive with it's intimate atmosphere, dark, polished wood, and lighting. There's a nice balance of tables for 2, 4, and 6. The problem is that the best route to the larger, aft dining room is to cut straight through the smaller one. If you're coming from the Ocean Bar it's right there; from the Crow's Nest it makes sense to drop down to that same level and pass through the Ocean Bar and follow the same route. From the Explorers Lounge there's a stairway that leads directly into the smaller dining room. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I would expect crowds passing through to negate the refined atmosphere. :( [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I did hear the sketch of a different plan that would have Open sitting early, but a fixed time later. :confused: I'm totally not sure how that would work, but squarer pegs have been known to be pounded into rounder holes. :rolleyes: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]We shall all see soon enough. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Glad to be back on the boards. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks, Ruth, for sharing your amazing experiences with us. You have much to tell and you do it very well. It's great fun to read your posts. Maybe there's a book in your future!

Thanks again.

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]Ruthless--[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]I sent you an e-mail...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]...but I just had to share this with the group.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]I heard this song on the web-radio this weekend and immediately thought of our Ruth.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[URL="http://www.sewingstars.com/ri.html"][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]http://www.sewingstars.com/ri.html[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]I wonder if this is one the piano player knows?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4];)[/SIZE][/FONT]

Ruth, so exciting to have come so very close to the North Pole ... WOW :)

We were talking about the Prinsendam DR on another thread. We would literally leave the Ocean Bar, go up a deck and back down the stairs in order not to be on the line that formed through the Ocean Bar and the narrow dining room.

I always felt badly to disturb those who had already sat down in that DR by parading through to get to ours. It's an awkward set up even with today's dining.

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=royalblue]This is the report from 8/5/07[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]This is amazing! I can't believe that one hour ago ([SIZE=2]as I draft this[/SIZE]) I was standing on a forward deck surrounded by the Polar Ice Cap! :D We got to within 509 miles of the North Pole at 81 degrees 31.5 minutes North ([SIZE=2]I don't know how to make the little symbol[/SIZE]). That's the furthest north a HAL ship has ever gotten. Not to mention most people! And me!!! :D :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Who in their wildest dreams would ever expect to be on a pleasure cruise here. Like I said---amazing. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1];) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

That does sound amazing Ruth! It was nice to get home tonight and see your posts again from the ship. I'll definitely have to keep my eye out for this trip or one similar for 2009! Maybe we'll get the furthest south a HAL ship has ever gotten next year on the Rotterdam!

[quote name='RuthC']
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Yesterday we were in Longyearbyen, Spitzbergen, Norway---the northernmost city in the world. Now I've been in both Antarctic AND Antarctic ice, as well as the southernmost AND northernmost cities. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Don't think there's easternmost and westernmost, though.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

And here I thought I was doing something special by going to the Northernmost point in North America this year (Barrow) on my Alaska trip and the southernmost in South America next year on our SA/Antarctica trip! You just had to show me up didn't you:D

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Can't wait to hear more about it.

[quote]Don't think there's easternmost and westernmost, though.[/quote] Sure are; the Big (Russian) and Little (U.S.) Diomede Islands, off Alaska. They are separated by the International Date Line and are about two miles apart.

You can have the ship's bow in one day and its stern in another.

Ruth, You beat us by 1 degree, 16 minutes! On August 5, 1999 we cruised to 80 degrees, 15 minutes north on the Rotterdam. Guess the Polar Ice cap is up further this year as we went into the beginning are of ice slush. Quite an experience. We had fun in Longyearben. Not much there, but ever so interesting. Glad you enjoyed the trip!

[quote name='bepsf']
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]I heard this song on the web-radio this weekend and immediately thought of our Ruth.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.sewingstars.com/ri.html"][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]http://www.sewingstars.com/ri.html[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]I wonder if this is one the piano player knows?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4];)[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I do; he doesn't. I asked. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]It's a great little song for lots of states, too. :) I think any singer/musician with this kind of audience should know it. Not to mention that other little song that asks the musical question [I]What did Delaware? [/I](answer: [I]She Wore A Brand New Jersey[/I]).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1](As a matter of fact, Brian, I carry the lyrics in that little white purse you remember. ;) )[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Don't think there's easternmost and westernmost, though.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[quote name='tomc']Sure are; the Big (Russian) and Little (U.S.) Diomede Islands, off Alaska. [/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I considered that, Tom, but decided those didn't count---at least the same way---because when you're there you can still go east/west. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]It's not quite the same. :( But! It [U]is[/U] somthing to add to the list of "things to do". ;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I'll confirm what others have posted---Buddy Mitchell plays piano in the Crow's Nest for both cocktail sets, and then from 9:15 to midnight. He'll be aboard until the drydock in November, is coming back for the Holiday cruise, then will join the Amsterdam for the World Cruise. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Lucky World Cruise passengers! :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I head there most nights before dinner, and every night after. He's good. :D He's got am extensive repetoire, great keyboard skills, and an easy-going personality. Too bad more passengers don't go up to enjoy what he offers. I do (enjoy, that is). [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Heather, I asked about [I]Ice Castles[/I]---he played it (correctly) right off. Ask away---it's safe to come back. ;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]The Rosario Strings also play cocktail sets, at tea, and after dinner. This is one excellent trio. They have a joy in them that's expressed in their music and make it fun. They always seem to be having fun. Don't miss them. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]The trio in the Ocean Bar is Joy. They seem pretty good when I pass through; I spent one cocktail time there and did enjoy them. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Unforunately, there was a death in their family, so it's expected they will disembark in Lerwick. I don't know what plans (if any) there are for entertainment in that lounge for the last few days. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Last few days? Is it almost over already? :eek: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Ruth-[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]This year it's the top of the world, next it's the bottom of the world.;) You sure get around gal!!!;) :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Continued calm seas and blue skies!:D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[b]"Rhode Island Is Famous For You"[/b]

From my blog of July 27:

[quote]There’s a song I heard on “A Prairie Home Companion” some years ago. The show was being done from Rhode Island and they sang “Rhode Island Is Famous For You.” The song takes a few liberties with its facts, to make things work out, but did get one thing right: “Pencils / come from Pennsylvania.”

Lyricist Howard Dietz may have used an Eberhard Faber pencil now and then, but I doubt he knew it was made just outside Wilkes-Barre, in the mythical place called “Mountaintop,” which is actually two townships, a school district and a post office named Mountaintop.

Eberhard jr., known to friends as Tim, still lives here, although the pencils are now made in Mexico.

Pencils do, indeed, come from Pencilvania.[/quote]

[url]http://northfranklin.blogspot.com[/url]

I'm so excited that he learned it!!! He's a man of his word. We just loved him and on our cruise the Crow's Nest was packed for him before dinner every night after the first night or two when we were practically alone there.

Word got out and everyone headed up there. I have some wonderful pictures of him. Here's a link to a picture of Buddy Mitchell at the piano: [URL="http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2097394020061635310tqbcVN"][COLOR=#810081]ph-10425 pictures from cruises photos on webshots[/COLOR][/URL]

Keep on enjoying, Ruth ... we love to travel with you:) !

[quote name='tomc'][b]"Rhode Island Is Famous For You"[/b]

From my blog of July 27:

[url]http://northfranklin.blogspot.com[/url][/QUOTE]

Best rendition of "Rhode Island is Famous For You" is found on a Michael Feinstein album called "Live at the Algonquin." Great album.

Loved sitting in that lounge in NYC listening to him!

Martha

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]You'd think that after three long days at sea---in what has not been the most inviting "outdoors" weather---that I'd be anxious to go ashore in Lerwick. You'd think, but you'd be wrong. All-aboard is in less than 1/2 hour and I haven't left the ship---and it's been grand! :D I selected a lounge chair by the pool, bundled up in a blanket, and rested. The sun was quite warm, the air cool, and the breeze---well, the breeze [U]was[/U] a bit much. Hence the blanket. ;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I've been to Lerwick several times over the years, but this is the first time docked. We're quite a distance away from the tender dock, and therefore quite a hike to town. There's not much of interest where we are. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]New business---[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I'm getting sick of people blocking the doorway on the elevator. Trying to get on there's always one person who won't step to the rear. Trying to get off there's always someone on the outside who won't step away to clear a path. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Makes you wonder about manners. :confused: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]We have arrived in our last port (Edinburgh, Scotland) and will sail away on what will be our last day of the voyage (1:00 AM). It's a bright, sunny day with coolish/warmish temps and a cool breeze---just the kind of day I love on a cruise. In a little while I'll be taking a shore excursion to a Medevil Scottish home where the gentleman of the manor will explain things and give us a bite to eat. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I wasn't able to get a ticket to the Tatoo---never saw it added to the on-line booking list, but by the time I boarded it was wait-listed. :confused: Oh, well, maybe next year? I don't remember if the E-dam schedule lines up with it then, [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Hopefully I'll be back in time tonight for a local talent show on board. There will be Scottish dancers and musicians doing a type of Folkloric show. In years past I've been to many of these on HAL ships---and always enjoyed them---but haven't seen one presented in years. I'm looking forward to it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Got to get ready to head out to the BIG CITY now. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='FinelyRetired']Best rendition of "Rhode Island is Famous For You" is found on a Michael Feinstein album called "Live at the Algonquin."[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I've got [I]a[/I] Michael Finestein version, but don't know that it's that one. I bought the album just to get the song. It's a good version. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]But, IMHO, the [I]best[/I] version was done by Nancy Lamont quite a number of years ago. She had one of the best voices I have ever heard---crystal clear and true---and knew how to deliver. She was excellent. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]But when it comes to "best" in music there's always time to stay up all night discussing it---with some good music playing in the background, of course. ;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived