Please reassure me

PrincessMo

My husband and I are travelling on Millenium this coming Friday through Europe. I feel that I am dreading it after reading the reviews/forums. :mad: :mad: :mad: We have a 14 year old boy and 12 year old girl - sounds like it's not for kids. Also the dress code seems so formal - what on earth does a teenage boy do? Can someone perhaps reassure me that we are all going to enjoy this cruise - it was the only one which suited our vacation timings as my husband couldnt leave the office til this Friday. We have been on loads of Royal Caribbean cruises.

Hello:

We were on the Millennium Mediterranean cruise this time last year. Celebrity is a little more formal than some of the other lines. There were not many children on the ship, but enough to keep your kids happy. I suggest you bring some sort of sport jacket & tie for the boys although celebrity is spotty about deneying people entrance to the dinin room on formal nights. There is a restaurant you can eat at which is free during dinner & it's located in the buffet area. it's waiter service &they have tablecloths on the table. You do need to make reservations ahead of time. Don't worry, all of you will have a fantastic cruise. Relax & enjoy.

Hi:) maybe I am not the best person to reply because I don't have

kids but I will anyway.

First, please do away with those mad faces:( ..that won't help

at all.

Next, yes, Celebrity is probably more formal but that doesn't mean

you won't have a wonderful time.:)

You are sailing to Europe on Friday? I bet there is a roll call for

your cruise and that would be a great way to meet others. Since

you have sailed Royal I am sure you know about the Meet and Greets.

They really can be a good thing! You might find other families with

kids in ya'lls age bracket.

About the formality..for a 14 year old boy? A button down shirt

and tie with a pair of slacks would probably be fine on formal

nights.

Does he own a sport jacket?

Celebrity does have a kid's program. Maybe some folks on here

with kids who participated in them can give you some first

hand information. But I am sure in port ya'll will be going on

excursions right?

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon:) ..you are sailing in a week?

I would be jumping for joy:D

Hi:) maybe I am not the best person to reply because I don't have

kids but I will anyway.

First, please do away with those mad faces:( ..that won't help

at all.

Next, yes, Celebrity is probably more formal but that doesn't mean

you won't have a wonderful time.:)

You are sailing to Europe on Friday? I bet there is a roll call for

your cruise and that would be a great way to meet others. Since

you have sailed Royal I am sure you know about the Meet and Greets.

They really can be a good thing! You might find other families with

kids in ya'lls age bracket.

About the formality..for a 14 year old boy? A button down shirt

and tie with a pair of slacks would probably be fine on formal

nights.

Does he own a sport jacket?

Celebrity does have a kid's program. Maybe some folks on here

with kids who participated in them can give you some first

hand information. But I am sure in port ya'll will be going on

excursions right?

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon:) ..you are sailing in a week?

I would be jumping for joy:D

To pick up on what Lois has stated,Celebrity has excellent childrens programs and one of the best things for you to do is go to the orientation meeting of the childrens programs. Not sure when they have it in Europe. This is important as you will get an idea what is going on and it will allow your son to meet some of the kids on the cruise. Teenagers are the toughest group as they don't really want to get involved in a lot of special activities but usually meet someone on board that they become friends with. The fact you are going in the summer will have quite a few children on the ship. What we always did was try to have combination of doing things together to see the sights of the ports and letting our children do the kids programs mostly in the evening. Dinner may very well take care of itself as Celebrity does offer special dining arrangements for the children with their groups. Have a great cruise.

What is a teenage boy to do? Well, I guess he could dress-up on the formal nights. Last February we were on a 14 night Infinity cruise (embarked at Buenos Aires) and there was a teenage boy (about 14) who came to dinner every night with a silly wool mitt cap (the kind you wear in a snow storm) to dinner. I am sure his parents were very proud. On the other hand, the comments we heard from many passengers had more to do with the parents (or lack thereof) than of the teen. As to Med cruises, they offer numerous opportunities for teens (and children) to learn that there is a big world beyond their doorstep and its full of fascinatiing places and people.

Hank

Thanks - didnt mean to sound so negative but reading these forums can take all the positiveness away. We are REALLY looking forward to the cruise and its a fantastic itinerary - just hoping we've done right by the kids

Hi:) well, don't let it do that..(take the positive away)......

Every board, no matter what cruiseline has all sorts of replies

about that line.....yes, there are negative posters, positive posters,

not give a **** posters, posters who just love to "stir the pot" as

they say, all kinds of people make up these boards.

Your kids are going to Europe on a cruise:D......they are quite

lucky!!!!

Just wanted to mention one thing to at least consider: renting a tux through the ship for your son might be fun for him and the family and make for a great photo opportunity too! I'm pretty sure there is still time if you call them.

Otherwise as Lois R said, he'd probably young enough that he can wear a nice dress shirt and tie in the dining room on formal nights and be comfortable. And as others have said - there are lots of alternatives too.

So relax - I'm sure you'll have a great time on this cruise and that it will be a fantastic family experience for all of you.

:) I'm on the same sailing with you. I recall reading, a post recently, of someone who was just on the ship (same itinerary) with her young teenage son. That sailing had quite a few kids. Anyway, the son loved the kids program so much that he all but REFUSED to go out on shore excursions. He was gone most of the day having a blast. They'll be plenty for him to do. Also recall from the roll call, that there are other families with teens.

There are 6 casual nights (no tie required). Also if he absolutely doesn't want to dress up on the other nights, there are other places to get a good bite to eat. Although you won't want to miss dining in the main dining room, there is also room service (pizza!!).

You'll have a blast. See you Friday.

I think the reason many parents are loathe to spend money on kids' formal clothes is that they (gasp) outgrow them before the end of the evening!

I would suggest getting him a really inexpensive jacket at K-mart of Walmart or even check a second-hand shop. Same for your daughter - you can always find fancy dresses at a place like that.

What would you do if you were all invited to a formal wedding at home - you'd find the clothes, wouldn't you?

I think it's a wonderful opportunity for the kids to have an experience they don't ordinarily have.

This is a very good opportunity to teach your children that there are other ways to dress other than "ratty torn jeans showing the butt crease or the belly button". Also that there are other things to eat than hamburgers and french fries you pick up and eat with your fingers.

Consignment shops often have inexpensive jackets/pants or prom type dresses (you may even find a dress for yourself - I did ,- a really good dress with beaded top and chiffon skirt for less than $40.) What will your husband be wearing for "formal" night.?

If you really refuse to dress up, then I do suggest you go to the dining area mentioned , it is very good .however you are expected to tip the waiter $2 per person for service at the end of the meal.

We've sailed Celebrity many times with our kids, including Europe. There will be more than enough other kids on board for your teens to make friends with. Encourage them to go to the first activities because that's where everyone connects. Yours are still young enough that they will still enjoy the planned activities, making it much less stressful for you. We loved the fact that the ship was not overrun with kids but there were more than enough to make new friends.

A cruise is a great way for them to see Europe with their parents because they do the historical and cultural activities with you during the day and hang with friends at night.

I also encourage you to check out the roll call for you cruise. There will probably be other families with kids and you might be able to join some excursions with them.

If your husband is wearing a tux, the idea of renting one for your son is a nice idea - it's much less expensive than you'd expect. If your husband is wearing a suit, your son will be fine in a sport jacket. My daughters were never short on party dresses so if yours is like them, you'll have no problem there.

We love our dinners in the dining room. The wait staff is very accommodating with people's tastes and friendly with young people. You'll have a great time.

We did the Millie to the Med in August of 2003...Best cruise we've ever been on...

There were actually a lot of kids on our sailing...School vacation time in the US PLUS August is "Vacation Month" in most of Europe...there were kids from all over the world on board...

The itinerary is great and the ship is wonderful...The ports are absolutely phenomenal...

Do not worry a bit...You and your kids will love it...

We did the Millie to the Med in August of 2003...Best cruise we've ever been on...

There were actually a lot of kids on our sailing...School vacation time in the US PLUS August is "Vacation Month" in most of Europe...there were kids from all over the world on board...

The itinerary is great and the ship is wonderful...The ports are absolutely phenomenal...

Do not worry a bit...You and your kids will love it...

I completely agree. We took our kids (when they were both teenagers) on Celebrity and they LOVED it. The loved the special service and attention in the dining room. If anything, they will LOVE being treated more grown up and give them a chance to try upscale dining that might break you at home! My son would ask the waiter for suggestions between two entrees - would select one - but would be surprised by getting both!! Ditto for desserts - they were treated like royalty and they LOVED the fine dining experience. Not that there aren't plenty of kid and young adult activities . . . and more basic food options, but now my kids ONLY want Celebrity or better for the dining experience alone.

They will love it - and the more positive you are going into it - the sooner they can have a blast! Have a wonderful cruise!

When we first took our kids we fretted the same way. They had a blast. As for the dressing thing, we simply had the boys put on dress pants, white shirt and a tie. Sometimes they had a jacket if they were a little older. The girls took their favourite dress; doesn't have to be a gown. Now they are adults and they all cruise from time to time. We have had them and now the grandchildren on a few. Only 3 grandsons (5,5,7)right now and they wear dress pants, a white shirt and a bow tie their grandma makes for them just like their dads did. Don't sweat it. And I agree with others its a great opportunity to teach them some finer things in life.

We first took our kids on a HAL cruise back in the early eighties those were the days that just about every night my son age 9 had to wear a shirt & tie to dinner. The dress code has become much relaxed over the years. Don't sweat it. If you can buy him a cheap sports jacket then do so for fomal nights. I find that some times after they dress up they may like it. My kids still talk about their first cruise & how they enjoyed it.

It's easy to be swayed by what you read here. Like Lois said (she's a savvy, friendly cruiser, take her advice!! :) ), there are all kinds of posters- good, bad, ugly. Remember that these boards are just microcosms of the real world - and that you'll meet many cruisers who've never even heard of Cruise Critic. Your cruise will be as fun or as stressful as YOU allow it to be. I was nervous, too - although we cruised w/ out children, so that's a whole different type of stress :eek: Please go into it w/ an open mind, don't let little things upset you. Others have given you great options - scour a few consignment or thrift stores - hit the super-type stores for inexpensive options. Here's the rental link -

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

I am happy for you! You'll have fun - let us know how your cruise went - we'll be doing the Greek Isles on Millennium in 2009. Seems so-o-o far away.

Princess Mo ~ one of the things about the Med itinerary is that there is so much to see and do that if you are doing shore excursions in each port, evenings will be pretty quiet (at least that is what we found when we did the Med a couple of years ago). There are always a fair amount of kids on summer cruises and while Celebrity may not have as many as Royal Carribbean, there will be others on board.

As for the dress code, we enjoy (including our daughter who is now 20 but we began cruising when she was 6) dressing up for formal night. But honestly, nice pants & shirt with a tie and a nice dress for your daughter will be fine. If your son has a jacket, great. But please don't lose sleep over this stuff and certainly don't let it dampen your enthusiam for the cruise. Millie is a terrific ship and you are sailing to my favorite places in the world.

Have a great time and please come back and tell us all about it!

By the way, here is a link to the roll call for your cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=478671&page=6

ENJOY AND BON VOYAGE!

We took our son last year on the Constellation Baltic cruise and rented a tux for him, he enjoyed dressing up. On the informal nights he wore his suit, but if your son doesn't have one then I'm sure a nice pair of pants, shirt and tie will work. If your children really don't want to go formal then order the dinner for them in your cabin or they can enjoy themselves in the alternative dining option. They are old enough to be on their own and they might like eating by themselves for a few nights and relaxing, feel them out and see what they will enjoy. Also it might be nice for you and your husband to enjoy a meal or two alone. :)

There's nothing wrong with the teen center from what I could see and I would encourage your kids to check it out. My son being a older teen didn't want to go there, and it was his loss, I'm sure. The Baltic tour was quite port intensive and we had long days off the ship so he was happy enough to watch the entertainment on the ship, play some video games, watch TV in the cabin or use the pool when we had some spare time on the ship.

Just came back from the last sailing of the Millennium. No worries on the kids, I heard there were 400 on our sailing. Tons of activities for them but they should get involved on the first day as we heard from our tablemates children that that is where you establish your friendships and it was hard to connect after.

Suggest wearing a sportcoat if your son does not want to go the tux route.

Enjoy!

Oddly, the Celeb forum has one of the most persistantly negative tones on CC. One can only speculate on why this is... but it doesn't reflect the experience delivered by the line.

Just relax and enjoy the great ship and itinerary you'll be cruising.

As other posters have said, August in the med will bring plenty of kids aboard and the ports are as fascinating for kids as they are for adults. In Venice, for kids, a visit to the pigeons of St. Marks square will make for memories. If you hit Naples, I suggest hiking to the summit of Vesuveus. Youngsters and active types enjoy it and it's educational in its own right.

If you've "sought" to conform to the suggested dress code on any of your RCI cruises then you'll be fine on X. Statistically, Celeb fans are probably more into formal ware than their counterparts on other lines but only incrementally. With youngsters, make the effort to get them "dressy" to some degree and you'll almost certainly fit in just fine.

Archived