Bring Back the Perks

asctony

Many poster are suggesting that Princess may improve if Princess Brings Back the Perks.

What perks have been taken away?

If you are talking about unlimited Internet that was totally abused by some individuals.

Very interested in learning what perks have been eliminated. Happy Cruising!

Yes, there has been a lot of griping about the restrictions on the internet.

I don't consider that to be a big deal - I cruise to cruise, not surf the internet.

I suppose some in the business world find it overly restrictive, which leads me to wonder how they got along before the net.

I think they've improved perks over the past 4-5 years, with the exception of the internet packages.

I think most people are irritated that the connection is SO SLOW and eats up their 'free' minutes too quickly. I would prefer to never step in that room while on a cruise, but I have a business that I absolutely have to check, even when on vacation. :(

I suppose some in the business world find it overly restrictive, which leads me to wonder how they got along before the net.

I think that expectations-on the part of employers, customers, fellow employees-were MUCH different in the past than they are now. We even read it all the time on this board; people get frustrated when they can't reach their TA NOW!

I wish they would bring back the unlimited internet also. I've read here from fellow posters that Princess believes that only 5% of the Platinum and Elite passengers will even be affected. If that is the case, it is a minor financial consequence to Princess to reinstate the unlimited internet.

I've also read here where fellow posters have been told that the benefits were changed because they were being abused. What constitutes abuse? A Platimum/Elite passenger who chose to camp on the internet 24/7 during their cruise was not abusing the letter (rather than the intent) of the perk. A Platinum/Elite passenger who gave their card to another passenger for their free internet use was abusing the benefit, but it seems very "grade school" to me that the only possibly response was to take it away from everyone.

JMHO.

I think that expectations-on the part of employers, customers, fellow employees-were MUCH different in the past than they are now. We even read it all the time on this board; people get frustrated when they can't reach their TA NOW!

I wish they would bring back the unlimited internet also. I've read here from fellow posters that Princess believes that only 5% of the Platinum and Elite passengers will even be affected. If that is the case, it is a minor financial consequence to Princess to reinstate the unlimited internet.

I've also read here where fellow posters have been told that the benefits were changed because they were being abused. What constitutes abuse? A Platimum/Elite passenger who chose to camp on the internet 24/7 during their cruise was not abusing the letter (rather than the intent) of the perk. A Platinum/Elite passenger who gave their card to another passenger for their free internet use was abusing the benefit, but it seems very "grade school" to me that the only possibly response was to take it away from everyone.

JMHO.

As the old saying goes: You do not know what you have until it is gone. Also, some individuals were conducting business (work not personal) via internet on Princess' dime.

Apparently the Unlimited use of the Internet seems to be the most talked about perk. I was hoping that someone would identify the other perks that may have been eliminated. Many people have surfaced the 'Loss of Perks' as an issue that Princess should address to improve upon.

So, what are the 'Loss of Perks' other than the INTERNET?

We also would like to know what perks have been eliminated. We are Elite and have been since Elite began. Internet is not unlimited, but on a 10 day cruise each Elite passenger gets 250 minutes or 4 hours free. How much more do you want? If you are using the Internet for business, pay for it and let the company reimburse you or use the Internet Cafes in ports. Celebrity gives 10 minutes.

You are looking at the issue from the wrong side.

WHY should Princess, or any other cruiseline, reinstitute or establish any new “perk”

The purpose of a perk is to bring customers back to, or to entice new customers to your product.

If you have checked recently, how many cruise ships have left port with empty cabins? Princess has no reason or incentive to give anything back to its customers.

However, once one cruise line makes any move in that direction, Princess will follow quite quickly.

You are looking at the issue from the wrong side.

WHY should Princess, or any other cruise line, re institute or establish any new “perk”

The purpose of a perk is to bring customers back to, or to entice new customers to your product.

If you have checked recently, how many cruise ships have left port with empty cabins? Princess has no reason or incentive to give anything back to its customers.

However, once one cruise line makes any move in that direction, Princess will follow quite quickly.

Agree with your statements. However, why are people saying that Princess is eliminating perks? We cruise other cruise lines and don't even see the amount of perks that Princess offers. Cruise lines such as Celebrity, HAL, NCL, MSC, RCI, etc. Everyone and everything is being cut, but what really has been cut that people feel is a real costly perk that they miss?

Agree with your statements. However, why are people saying that Princess is eliminating perks? We cruise other cruise lines and don't even see the amount of perks that Princess offers. Cruise lines such as Celebrity, HAL, NCL, MSC, RCI, etc. Everyone and everything is being cut, but what really has been cut that people feel is a real costly perk that they miss?

We are not yet Elite, so the only real perk that affected us was Internet.

This last trip, we had no "need" to use it, just for email and attempt to end photos. Anyway, the service is so bad people don't want to just sitting there and watch thing load or upload for twenty minutes. We did not come close to using the half the minutes we were allowed. But it's like the parent telling the child "no". For several years, we came back to Princess saying pretty soon, free Internet. Something to look forward to.

I think the whole Internet cafe is a waste of room with the current connection speeds. How about a service that prints out boarding passes for next day airline seats.

(I've also read here where fellow posters have been told that the benefits were changed because they were being abused. What constitutes abuse? )

Ya, I laugh when I hear that people were abusing an UNLIMITED benefit. By its definition using the benefit to a great extent is not abuse.

In my mind Princess made a business decision, which effectively modified a pact they had made to their best clients. They had a legal right to do so, however trust is a difficult thing to rebuild.

That being said, we have rebooked a Princess cruise, we just don't cruise them exclusively anymore!

Maybe I'm wrong but lately it seems like some of the complaints have been about not getting the perks that are supposed to come with a full suite. Actually they're not perks really but the services & amenities that are promised when booking a full suite. Princess does advertise these and sometimes it's very hard to get them to fill the amenities that are to come with the suite. If you pay for the service there is nothing wrong with being upset about not receiving it as it's different than the free perks associated with the Captain's Circle.

Apparently the Unlimited use of the Internet seems to be the most talked about perk. I was hoping that someone would identify the other perks that may have been eliminated. Many people have surfaced the 'Loss of Perks' as an issue that Princess should address to improve upon.

So, what are the 'Loss of Perks' other than the INTERNET?

Tony, it wasn't that long ago that there weren't really any perks at all other than the internet thing. I guess I'm in the 95%. And if I absolutely had to rack up a big tab on the internet for business, it would definitely go on my expenses when I got back. (Plus I wouldn't consider that a vacation day, either.)

Remember, too, when the change was made to the internet bonus, a lot of people suddenly became platinum and elite who didn't qualify under the old (and unfair) system.

Some people won't be satisfied no matter what you do. There are some here who think there should be Super-Elite designation. I think if there are people who fit such a designation, they are probably treated as VIP's anyway. But it doesn't stop people from demanding more.

asctony - get your response yet???? :-) I think you did.

Sorry, I am only hearing about the Internet.

Again, what other perks did Princess do away with? Still waiting to hear about something other than the Internet. Happy Cruising!

The only perk that has been lessened shall we say is the internet. As far as I know no other perks have been eliminated.

Now as for the perks not received by a suite customer. Hey when we were upgraded to a suite 3 years ago I simply went to the princess site and printed out the perks that we were supposed to get. Most of them were already in place by the room steward. There were a few missing and a few seconds of my time to ask the room steward for them was not a problem at all. The way I see it if you have bought a suite, of course you expect the perks so just ask the steward very nicely if the perks are all not there and get on with your vacation. It just is not worth it to get upset about it. Just my opinion.

Marilyn

The only perk that has been lessened shall we say is the internet. As far as I know no other perks have been eliminated.

Now as for the perks not received by a suite customer. Hey when we were upgraded to a suite 3 years ago I simply went to the princess site and printed out the perks that we were supposed to get. Most of them were already in place by the room steward. There were a few missing and a few seconds of my time to ask the room steward for them was not a problem at all. The way I see it if you have bought a suite, of course you expect the perks so just ask the steward very nicely if the perks are all not there and get on with your vacation. It just is not worth it to get upset about it. Just my opinion.

Marilyn

Amen to that !!! Asking nicely for things that were expected will often bring a reasonable explanation and great service where it is appreciated by the passenger.

A great example of this is the "bathrobes in the cabin", which to me is a standard perk. Several cruises we've asked nicely and found that they could be delivered as soon as they were cleaned from the previous cruise.

The internet thing can be abused, but also can be greatly appreciated if one has a family member who is ill, or other personal issue, and the passenger needs to check status via email. The only time we've ever used internet was to check out some snorkeling sites we heard about onboard ship.

How about bringing back an old "Perk" - better customer service? Seems like many of the complaints from long-time cruisers on these boards deal with problems over the last few years having trouble either with on-shore Princess customer relations or with personnel in the Purser's office. Friendly, responsive service in these areas shouldn't cost Princess a lot more but would really help defuse frustrated passengers in most cases.

Archived