Religious Expression on Cruises

RevNeal

What Kind of Religious Expressions do you engage in while on a Cruise?  

496 members have voted

1. 1. What Kind of Religious Expressions do you engage in while on a Cruise?

• Attend worship every day and/or every Sunday on a Cruise (when offered)
    • Read Scriptures
    • Read other religious literature
    • Pray privately in cabin
    • Pray silently before meals
    • Pray outloud before meals
    • Do not engage in any religous expressions (at least while on a cruise)

Here's another "vote" in support of Rev Neal, who has only shown his knowledge of religious history, his tolerance all around, his support and information about cruising, and his humor!

Rev Neal.....would you PLEASE, PLEASE, go on the 4-9-05 Zuiderdam??? I promise NOT to spike the Communion wine (maybe), I promise to be observant during services (meaning I will NOT make paper airplanes out of pledge envelopes), I promise to adhere to the liturgy (while fondly remembering my karaoke renditions of "Jumpin' Jack Flash"), and I promise to obey the laws of God...once I disembark. That's the best I can do! My good buddy JACQUELINE will pay for any extra expenses, and I will limit my dirty jokes to two per day. Er..two per hour.

...would you PLEASE, PLEASE, go on the 4-9-05 Zuiderdam?

I'm sorry ... I can't. :)

And, sadly, I can't make the March 20th Cruise on the Volendam. That's Holy Week and Easter next year -- yes, that's right, Easter in 2005 is early.

Oh, well! There are always other cruises.

I'll wait till our cruise together in Nov. 2005, so I can have a personal chic-chat with him in private, just like they should have done at the supper table that night.

I'm looking forward to that cruise ... it's going to be a nice trip. :)

Guest Anorak33

Boards posted :

"Give it a rest, I think enough have has been said. Time to end the thread."

I'm with him/her on this - although the photos of the cute pets has been good!

Great discussion RevNeal , has helped me understand where my fellow cruisers are coming from in some ways so I can be more "sensitive" in future and not put my big foot in my mouth accidentally.

I'm sorry ... I can't. :)

And, sadly, I can't make the March 20th Cruise on the Volendam. That's Holy Week and Easter next year -- yes, that's right, Easter in 2005 is early.

Oh, well! There are always other cruises.

Ohhhhhhh.....well, that explains the price difference then. I couldn't figure out why the 3/10 10 day Western on the Volendam was a thousand $$$ less than the 3/20 10 day Eastern on the same ship. It made no sense. Now it does.

It all cancels all possibility of us going because we try not to travel when the schools are out:) ..... not that we have anything against kids! We just like to pour money into the economy when everybody else isn't;) .

Anorak33, I agree. This thread has been very helpful to me, too, and I also believe that it has pretty much run its course. It'll naturally die, though some people may continue to vote on it. :)

Speaking of the poll, I am actually VERY surprised at the distribution of votes on the poll. before taking the poll I never would have thought that so many people would state that they engage in some form of religious expression while aboard ship. I expected the option "Do not engage in any religious expressions (at least while on a cruise)" to score closer closer to 50-55%, not the 36-37% which it actually got.

Speaking of the poll, I am actually VERY surprised at the distribution of votes on the poll. before taking the poll I never would have thought that so many people would state that they engage in some form of religious expression while aboard ship. I expected the option "Do not engage in any religious expressions (at least while on a cruise)" to score closer closer to 50-55%, not the 36-37% which it actually got.
Must be some other explanation for the attendance figures for your sermons, then! :rolleyes:

-dave

Still, you also have to consider that the very subject of this thread would draw people with at least some religious leaning. You're probably not going to get a lot of the people who simply have no interest at all in the subject.

Or you will get people who just don't want other's religions rubbed in their face!

Still, you also have to consider that the very subject of this thread would draw people with at least some religious leaning. You're probably not going to get a lot of the people who simply have no interest at all in the subject.

Granted, it's not a scientific poll. Nevertheless, the results do reflect -- if not a proper sampling of HAL passengers -- at least a cross section of those who visit this board.

Or you will get people who just don't want other's religions rubbed in their face!

Yes, indeed ... which is part of the reason I posted the poll and the thread ... to get responses on the subject from all across the spectrum. And, I have. :)

Easter 2005 is on March 27. Holy Week would begin on March 21. (This from a known Communion wine "enhancer", Pastor's nightmare, and flagrant abuser of ritual). Guess that's why I booked the Zui for 4-9-05! Plus the fact that it was a lot cheaper.

Easter 2005 is on March 27. Holy Week would begin on March 21. (This from a known Communion wine "enhancer", Pastor's nightmare, and flagrant abuser of ritual). Guess that's why I booked the Zui for 4-9-05!

You are correct about the date of Easter in 2005. However ... and I hate to be picky ... but Holy Week begins with Palm/Passion Sunday; in 2005 that will be March 20th. :)

REV

I didn't realize that easter was that either until you pointed it out .

My Mom comes up from Florida for the holiday. Which is one of the reasons I can't go on that Volendam cruise cruise.

SIGH, oh well I guess I just have to wait until next November to cruise :(

But you have that beautiful Zaandam cruise to look forward to you Snoopy Doc dancer you *LOL*

Enjoy

I didn't read this thread until today. If I were reading it as it evolved I have no idea how many posts I would have. However, as most of it was written days ago I'm just going to throw in some observations. About my background. I was brought up Jewish, but in a family that did not practice the religion. After my Bar Mitzvah my involvement with my faith pretty much ended. My wife is Christian and several years ago I was saved.

Revneal - I really hope that one day I have the opportunity to meet you. My brother is gay, and I've heard so many anti-gay comments. Unfortunately many of them are from people who are so-called 'religious' people. Jesus was asked "what is the most important commandment". The person asking the question only asked for one. Jesus' answer was "love the lord with all your heart, with all your strength, with all your mind and with all your strength". He then went on to say "love your neighbor as yourself". Even though he was asked for one commandment he gave two, love God and love your neighbor. These two things are so important that he put them above all others. If only people, regardless of their faith, would remember these, then think of how much better we would be.

For my second point I just want to say that I'm directing this at no one in particular. I just ask that if anyone decides to pray out loud during a cruise (or any other public gathering) they first search themselves. Jesus admonished the pharises who stood on the street praying long prayers for everyone to hear. He tells us to go to a quiet place alone, just you and God and speak your heart. Because when it's just you and God you're being yourself and not putting on a show for others. When we're at home, or even in a restaurant, we'll pray before eating. However, I would feel uncomfortable sitting with other people on the cruise and asking them to do the same, unless I knew they wished to. I think Roboat had an excellent point about people having the best intentions, but others still feeling forced to pray because of how it would look if they declined.

One last point. Ask yourself how you would feel if a Muslim family at your table prayed to Allah before dinner. It's one thing if you're fine with it, but if you would be offended then you have no business asking someone of another faith to join in your prayer.

Archived