How often do you do laundry on a 10-day cruise?

legalsec

This will be our first cruise. Sailing to the caribbean in February from NY. I personally can't see going 10 days without doing laundry although I wish I could.

So, how often do experienced cruisers do laundry on a 10 day cruise?

Never. I'm on vacation. I don't do laundry on vacation. The day I get home, yes, but not while I'm away.

The only time I came close was when I washed something out in the sink because I spilled something on it and I didn't want the stain to set.

Not all cruise lines have self-serve laundry on board, anyway. And I don't want to pay someone else to do my laundry.

I've been on 8 and 9 night cruises, BTW - and extra days would not change my philosophy.

Persoanlly we don't do laundry on a Carib cruise. 12 days later, we still have a few tshirts and tops we hadn't even worn. You need to remember you will be in bathing suits a lot of time. Bring 2 of those with a cover up or two. Tshirts and casual tops usually can be worn twice. Remember you'll be changing for dinner. We roll our tank tops and tees and there's no problem packing. Wear the same shorts more than once. Same reason as above. Underwear is rinsed out if needed. We bring enough along.

I spilled wine on a pair of white slacks and had the ship laundry do them for me. Not a big deal. My husband had a couple things laundered on a different cruise.

To go on a cruise and have to do laundry is beyond my comprehension. :confused: You will be so spoiled by the staff that you will feel the same way. Enjoy the pampering and don't worry. :D

I avoid doing laundry at home, not going to do it on vacation. I'll occasionally send out a piece or two to be laundered by the ship but that's it.

Also, the cruiseline I sail doesn't have self serve laundries so there's no feeling guilty because I haven't done it (unlike at home).

I'll be the "different" one :) ! On a 10 day cruise on a ship with a laundromat we'll do laundry twice. We pack for 5 days if a laundromat is available. It takes us about an hour to wash and dry two loads. We don't really miss that hour :o . If we're close to the laundromat I'll go back to the cabin; if not, I just take a book with me.

We really prefer doing our own laundry, although I have used the ship's laundry if a laundromat wasn't available.

We bring the travel size bottles of ALL detergent and some fabric softener sheets. To us, it's really no big deal.

JMHO,

It will depend on the cruise line! RCCI doesn't even HAVE laundry facilities for guests!

Personally, I don't mind throwing a load of clothes in a machine--hell, it's not like I'm pounding them on rocks in a stream or anything! Doesn't "disrupt" my vacation at all!

But, you'll find that you won't need as many clothes as you think you will!

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the cruises I go on are 2 weeks and we never do laundry - it's called mix and match! I'll never wear the same formal outfit but I will wear shorts twice and bring 2 different tops. Oh yes - and I'll always have clean underwear (once a day change) - maybe bring a few extra just in case! As many have mentioned, "I'm on vacation; I'll do laundry when I get home." I could've had Carnival do my laundry for free on the last cruise but I said "no thanks." I don't want someone messing up my stuff, especially delicate items.

Laurie

For a vacation of under 2 weeks I wouldn't do laundry myself. On our 10-night last spring I sent out a bag of pressing (clothes I didn't bother to press before we left home), but I have never "had" to do laundry. I plan to wear shorts/skirts/slacks at least twice, once in the evening and once in the day.

If I had to I might rinse a few things out in the sink, but no full-fledged laundry. I HATE DOING LAUNDRY and would rather buy new stuff or pay the ship to do it than spend my precious vacation washing clothes or watching a dryer go round and round! :D

We just sign up for full laundry service. I don't want to bring a lot of extra clothes, nor do DH or I want to spend time doing laundry on vacation, so we sign up on the first day and send out laundry every day. We can pack a lot less that way and still wear fresh clothing.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

For a cruise of 10 days we don't plan to do laundry. On those cruise ships taht have self service laundry (not all cruise lines offer this) if we have free time we might spontaneously do the laundry on a 10 day cruise but as I say we don't plan on doing it. We have been on many cruises a lot more days than ten so for us 10 days is not very long to bring sufficient clothes not to worry about this.

Keith

This will be our first cruise. Sailing to the caribbean in February from NY. I personally can't see going 10 days without doing laundry although I wish I could.

So, how often do experienced cruisers do laundry on a 10 day cruise?

Usually once..... but not everything.... just some shirts / blouses and underthings.

Most ships, at least most that I've been on, do not have self-service laundry rooms--do some research to see if your ship will have one. If not, anything you wash you will have to do in the bathroom sink and hang to dry. I will do this to swim suits and the occasional stained shirt or whatever. We usually cruise with 2 kids, so 2 kids + lot of food = stained clothes. So I take along a small stain remover spray or stick or whatever, and a little laundry detergent. Once I forgot to pack my own underwear, so I had to wash out the same pair in the sink every night and dry it with the hair dryer.:o

I have never sent out laundry to be done, so I have no idea what it costs. I've always wondered. But it is nice to spend a little time doing laundry and have all fresh clothes and have not so much laundry to do when you get home.

Archived