Kicked Off Ship

partsman

I know you're dying to know. Well, pay attention.

They were DIAMOND and went to customer loyalty and politely inquired if the FUEL SURCHARGE could possibly be ABATED on their 4 week double back to back in March. After consultation with C&C in Miami they were summarily offered landing in Labadee (poetic) or adrift in a lifeboat (sans surcharge)!

LOL!

Now I know who it was!!!!:D :eek: :D

It has always amazed us how many children are let lose to roam the ship at will with out any parental supervision. And everyone says their kids are good! But I wonder when Mom and Dad aren't around if they still act like kids and get into mischief. :(

On our many cruises we have seen kids do minor infractions nothing more then an annoyance not worthing of getting kicked off the ship for. But too many parents use the security of a floating city to let their kids run free believing they are being good.....LOL.......not usually! :(

We always try to cruise when kids are in school and are usually surprised at the number of kids still on board...........I can't believe people take their kids out of school for a week to cruise...... :(

In California we have "year-round" school for elementary and some middle schools. There are four "tracks" (A, B, C and D). Students go to school for 3 months then are off for 1 month. If you're on Track A you start school on July 1.........have October off...........have February off...........and have June off. Parents here have oppotunities to vacation at "non-peak times".

Kudos to the Captain for enforcing the rules! :)

I don't have children but I can't imagine letting children roam the ship alone. Just because it is a "floating city" doesn't mean that a child can't be hurt by a passenger or crew member.

I am surprised that so many parents are oblivious to the dangers that exist for children.

Maybe my parents were just ultra strict or over protective but we were never allowed to go off by ourselves on vacation (the few vacations that we actually took...)

During our Summer 05 cruise on the Monarch, the little brats were switching the "Please Tidy Cabin" signs with the "Do Not Disturb" signs, this meant that our cabin wasn't cleaned that day because housekeeping was closed by the time we got back to the ship.

I was pretty ticked that we didn't have clean towels to get ready for dinner.

###

We always try to cruise when kids are in school and are usually surprised at the number of kids still on board...........I can't believe people take their kids out of school for a week to cruise...... :(

Unfortunately, many parents justify it by saying that the cruise is an educational experience since the kids will be exposed to different countries and cultures. . :(

Sitting on a beach, IMHO, is not even remotely an educational experience. . :rolleyes:

It is sad that the Child Abuse Lobby has made it very difficult to maintain dicipline. When I was raised, a parent knew why God made the butt well padded :D . I do not condone beatings, but a good paddling did wonders to change my outlook and behavior.

Why the suprise at parents who take the "not my child" attitude? I have seen numerous times heart rendering interviews of the mother of an executed convict crying her heart out proclaiming what "a good boy" her late child was.

Unfortunately, many parents justify it by saying that the cruise is an educational experience since the kids will be exposed to different countries and cultures. . :(

Sitting on a beach, IMHO, is not even remotely an educational experience. . :rolleyes:

This is getting a bit off the original topic, I suppose, but you have to realize that there are so many different school systems across the country with different holiday schedules, there are basically always some children out of school on just about any given week. There are also over a million home-schooled children in the US, and I expect most of those families vacation during off-peak times, because they can. So, sure, there are some parents who take their children out of school to go on vacation off-season, but you can't assume that about all the kids you see on a cruise, when you think they should be in school.

This is getting a bit off the original topic, I suppose, but you have to realize that there are so many different school systems across the country with different holiday schedules, there are basically always some children out of school on just about any given week. There are also over a million home-schooled children in the US, and I expect most of those families vacation during off-peak times, because they can. So, sure, there are some parents who take their children out of school to go on vacation off-season, but you can't assume that about all the kids you see on a cruise, when you think they should be in school.

Excellent point.

I was on this ship and heard the Captain discuss the "landing" of family. He mentioned the incident during a Crown and Anchor reception.

A 17 year old male was sent to have a meeting with the captain after being addressed by other staff members. The teenager "cursed out" the Captain and tried to run out of the meeting.

By the way my 16 year old son dined with our family each night and went to the shows with us each night.

So today's kids are the only ones that play with matches? No child was ever assualted in the good old days? I think you are the one that is naive.

No, but today's kids see no problem with it, nor do their parents. THAT WAS MY POINT!!! If I broke someones tooth or chipped their glasses, or broke their arm as a kid - I would PAY for it, but today kids are not held responsible, and their parents allow the behavior.

I was on this ship and heard the Captain discuss the "landing" of family. He mentioned the incident during a Crown and Anchor reception.

A 17 year old male was sent to have a meeting with the captain after being addressed by other staff members. The teenager "cursed out" the Captain and tried to run out of the meeting.

By the way my 16 year old son dined with our family each night and went to the shows with us each night.

I am not surprised. The Captain was lucky the kid didn't punch him or throw the table at him. Both happend to me and friends of mine, or got choked. Nothing was done to kid, then, of course. Bravo, Captain!!

Maybe I am just naieve and think something should be done when you assault an adult. I am surprised the kid didn't make death threats, which are routine in middle schools and high schools. Sorry, I am being naieve again, I just missed hearing the death threats and seeing physical assaults of teachers twenty years ago when I was in high school.

We were on a cruise last week - (7 day cruise, with 5 days travel/departure port time -- so away from home a total of 12 days). Between weekends and Thanksgiving holidays and an "early release" day. DD missed a total of 2.5 days of school. She made the best of friends with four other 12YO girls - none of whom missed even one day of school (not having as many travel/port days).

BTW we did not sit on any beaches all trip! We did visit a national park in Greece (the site of the original Olympics), visited the Acroplis and various Roman ruins in Athens, a historical site in Split Croatia, several medival forts in Greece and Italy, and some lovely art museums and historical sites in Venice.

Just because YOUR vacations are devode of culture, doesn't mean everyone else's are!:D

Wow, it sounds like he was lucky he didn't end up in the BRIG!

Theron

Words escape me. :eek:

On my TA's mediterranean cruise two years ago, there were a several children (a few families travelling together) creating so many problems for the passengers (a few of them were jumping on my TA's daughter in the pool for example), the captain of The Brillance promptly gave the whole group the heave ho. She said she had a great cruise after that.

I don't have a problem with taking kids out of school at all. The kids will catch up on what they missed. I do have a problem with unsupervised kids. I don't let my fifteen year old son wander around and yes he is a good kid.

During our Summer 05 cruise on the Monarch, the little brats were switching the "Please Tidy Cabin" signs with the "Do Not Disturb" signs, this meant that our cabin wasn't cleaned that day because housekeeping was closed by the time we got back to the ship. . . .

the "little brats" are not always all that "little"! We had a gang of 20-somethings putting the breakfast request hang tags on doors with early request times.

on our most recent cruise we had a group of retiree-aged who came to all of the trivia contests with the sole purpose (or so it seemed) to make fun of the Assistant CD's accent.

There are people who think nothing of cutting in line in front of my 12YO and her friends in the buffet line or the rock climbing wall (although the rock climbing crew called the two-some who tried it out and made them wait their turn). There are the adults who make nasty comments to the kids while they were swimming in the outdoor pool, eating in the Windjammer, or on the mini golf course -- each time there was at least one parent supervising the group (four very nice 12YO girls). Then there was the four "old people" who tried to take over the girls' seats in the theatre -- telling them that they were not allowed in the first ten rows -- the posted rules (being projected on the screens in two feet high text) clearly stated that "unaccompanied children were not allowed in the first FOUR rows. The four girls were in row SIX and there were six parents directly behind them in row seven!

My point - there are lots of RUDE people out there - some are young and some are old.

Last March while on Legend of the Seas the bartender told me about some teen boys that stole a couple bottles of vodka from the ship's liquor and sundries store a few weeks prior. They went to the video arcade and let other teens join in on their loot and it didn't take long before they were caught(imagine that:eek: ). The bartender was not sure of the final outcome, but he did say the ship's Captain got involved and there was a meeting with the boys and their parents.

One story was they were removed from the ship and the other story is they were reported to the police in Tampa.

...Sitting on a beach, IMHO, is not even remotely an educational experience. . :rolleyes:

While we rarely do that, it would probably be very difficult for today's kids to do this unless they had their gadgets with them. Perhaps forcing them to put down the electronics and confront nature head-on would be educational. Teach them what it is to spend some time unplugged. Show them that nonstop music piped into their heads is not The World. The roar of the ocean is a music unto itself.

I could make a list of educational objectives concerning tides and winds, erosionary power of water, sea life, etc etc., so it could be argued. I wouldn't want to have that particular argument with a school principal, however ;)

No, but today's kids see no problem with it, nor do their parents. THAT WAS MY POINT!!! If I broke someones tooth or chipped their glasses, or broke their arm as a kid - I would PAY for it, but today kids are not held responsible, and their parents allow the behavior.

You can not condemn all children and parents because you have run into a few that are delinquents. There are many parents in this world who are bringing their children up with morals and a conscience.

Hopefully you will find a profession that suits you.

Archived