Kicked Off Ship

partsman

Great...yet another lesson that Carnival could learn from RCCL!!!! :D

First Adult Solariums, then the Royal Promenade, then no smoking in the cabins!!

Keep this up and we will have to switch!! ;)

Seriously, good job RCCL!!!

As stated earlier my wife, myself, adult son and daughter, were part of this cruise. We became friends with two members of the cruise activities staff and learned some information about the first family removed in San Juan. It seemed that two children were changing and removing the breakfast requests from the stateroom doors late at night, which resulted in a large amount of complaints to the staff, for obvious reasons, when the parents were confronted with the with the security tapes, instead of reacting like most of us would and promising to disipline our children and correcting the problem, he breated the crewmembers and claimed they were falsely accusing his "poor little innocent children".

As far as too many unruly kids on the ship, it really was not apparent and for the most part it really was one of the best cruises I have been on. Captain Hemstead is one of the best, and I truly looked foward to his daily reports for the bridge.

How come Society has moved from when the kids screw up, they get punished to a reaction these days of "Not my kid", or "my kid wouldn't do that"?

If these parents don't care about their kids behavior, the kids aren't going learn anything and think it's acceptable to behave in this way. Bottom Line... Parenting Problem

KUDOS TO CAPTAIN ROB........I FOR ONE SAVE UP ALL YEAR SO I CAN ENJOY MY ONE VACATION......AND I DON'T WANT SCREAMING UNBEHAVED UNDISCIPLINED LITTLE BRATS RUINING MY HARD EARNED VACATION..

I TOO HAVE CHILDREN BUT WOULD NEVER DREAM OF LETTING THEM RUN RAMPANT AND BECOMING A NIGHTMARE FOR OTHERS.......IT'S CALLED DISCIPLINE FOLKS AND IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT ..........DON'T HAVE EM......IT IS THE PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THEM IN CHECK.......UNFORTUNATELY THESE DAYS PARENTS HAVE BECOME VERY LAZY AND DON'T GIVE A D**N, I SEE THIS FIRST HAND EVERYDAY IN MY RESTAURANT.:mad:

THESE KIDS ARE OUR FUTURE PARENTS.... EEEK AND WHERE WILL THEY GET THEIR PARENTING SKILLS FROM?????...... FOLKS .....YOU ARE NOT DOING YOUR CHILDREN ANY FAVORS.........IT IS FROM YOU THAT THEY LEARN HOW TO BEHAVE AS ADULTS AND HOW TO PARENT.....TEACH THEM .........IT IS YOUR JOB...

JUST MHO:eek:

KUDOS TO CAPTAIN ROB........I FOR ONE SAVE UP ALL YEAR SO I CAN ENJOY MY ONE VACATION......AND I DON'T WANT SCREAMING UNBEHAVED UNDISCIPLINED LITTLE BRATS RUINING MY HARD EARNED VACATION..

I TOO HAVE CHILDREN BUT WOULD NEVER DREAM OF LETTING THEM RUN RAMPANT AND BECOMING A NIGHTMARE FOR OTHERS.......IT'S CALLED DISCIPLINE FOLKS AND IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT ..........DON'T HAVE EM......IT IS THE PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THEM IN CHECK.......UNFORTUNATELY THESE DAYS PARENTS HAVE BECOME VERY LAZY AND DON'T GIVE A D**N, I SEE THIS FIRST HAND EVERYDAY IN MY RESTAURANT.:mad:

THESE KIDS ARE OUR FUTURE PARENTS.... EEEK AND WHERE WILL THEY GET THEIR PARENTING SKILLS FROM?????...... FOLKS .....YOU ARE NOT DOING YOUR CHILDREN ANY FAVORS.........IT IS FROM YOU THAT THEY LEARN HOW TO BEHAVE AS ADULTS AND HOW TO PARENT.....TEACH THEM .........IT IS YOUR JOB...

JUST MHO:eek:

No need to yell.

Grounded for LIFE..... I just can't imagine the rage of the parents, or the embarassment... but then this event was along time in coming.... a family of 4 ...that's at least $2500 plus plus, and then the airfare back.....

Perhaps the line will say "Here, this is a refund of 25% of your fair, never come back!"

.Ooo look, pigs are flying by my window!!:eek::D:D:D:D:D

Its about time they enforced the rules and code of conduct! :)

With all due respect and sincerity, has been there a time when they enforced less? I've only been on two wonderful cruises. I usually cruise when there are less kids, but I've read stories here.

As I read about how the parents reacted I thought that that was the real reason or one of the major reasons this family was removed from the ship. Berating and accusing crew members and not teaching and taking responsibility for their children is sad.

Congratulations to Captain Rob Hempstead for handing the situation exactly as I would have. For the record, Captain Hempstead is the only American Captain in Royal Caribbeans fleet.

Yes, you're right, a native born American. Capt Tor though, is a naturalized US Citizen now.

As stated earlier my wife, myself, adult son and daughter, were part of this cruise. We became friends with two members of the cruise activities staff and learned some information about the first family removed in San Juan. It seemed that two children were changing and removing the breakfast requests from the stateroom doors late at night, which resulted in a large amount of complaints to the staff, for obvious reasons, when the parents were confronted with the with the security tapes, instead of reacting like most of us would and promising to disipline our children and correcting the problem, he breated the crewmembers and claimed they were falsely accusing his "poor little innocent children".

As far as too many unruly kids on the ship, it really was not apparent and for the most part it really was one of the best cruises I have been on. Captain Hemstead is one of the best, and I truly looked foward to his daily reports for the bridge.

Thanks for posting some details.

While this may sound like "innocent prank", I would submit that this is actually a very serious offense.

Think about it. Possibly dozens of passengers have likely spent thousands of dollars for their cruise vacation. There are a limited number of days and hours that will be spent on this vacation, and people make plans to do their various activities. No mention was made whether this was a port day, or a sea day, but I know from personal experience, when I use the room service order card, I plan for my breakfast to be delivered as part of a morning schedule that is set up to allow me to eat and get out in time to do whatever excursion or activity I have decided to do for the day.

Now when those cards are randomly swapped around what happens? My breakfast comes early, or worse, late, and it's all wrong. Maybe I'm a picky eater, maybe I have allergies. Suddenly I have to allow 30 more minutes at a minimum to stop by the Windjammer.

My plans are down the tubes. If I'm scheduled for an early excursion, I may be forced to choose between eating breakfast and missing it altogether. Some people simply cannot skip breakfast and function for several hours as normal.

These "innocent pranks" could easily have very serious consequences, and I agree especially if there was no support from the parents involved, the action taken sounds perfectly appropriate.

JMHO,

Theron

They probably were disembarked into the care of the Labadee port agent who assisted them with their return arrangements back to the US. At their cost, which they will probably try to recoup by suing :rolleyes: , even though there's video proof of the brats...oops I mean children.:rolleyes:

So, an added story......when we were on Voyager one time, a family was left in Jamaica to find their way home. Their teenage boy wanted to see a lounge chair fly overboard into the sea late one night......the next morning their bags were on the pier in Jamaica.......the entire family left, not allowed to continue their cruise and had to find their own way home.

Im curious, if they discipline for such- why doesnt RCI make efforts to patrol the hot tubs better? I would like to see 'little children' told that either they are not allowed in the hot tubs OR not for an extended period of time with their entire 1o yr old posse, ignoring the fact that their are adults patiently waiting? As well as parents that take their barely 2 year old into the hot tub for well over an acceptable time period PLUS in diapers? Pls RCI get some discipline going for these annoying actions!!

With all due respect and sincerity, has been there a time when they enforced less? I've only been on two wonderful cruises. I usually cruise when there are less kids, but I've read stories here.

We have been on plenty of cruises with out of control kids. Our nniversary is July 1. We were on cruises to celebrate our 25th, 30th, 35th anniversaries. Each time the ships were packed with 800 + kids gone wild.

We also cruised once during spring break......don't know what we were thinkning there!!! :eek:

So we now cruise off season, this year was our 40th and we waited till Oct so we could do a 15 day Hawaii. It only took 4 or 5 cruises to smarten up!!! :D

There is no way that someone could get kicked off the ship in Labadee. Labadee is part of Haiti, and they could get in a lot of trouble for kicking them off there with no way to get home. It is VERY dangerous outside the walls of RCI's private area. That is why no one is allowed outside those walls. A captain would not kick someone off the ship there, with no airport, no hotels, etc. Especially with children!!!

There is a good book called the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. After reading the book my question would be who would they get in trouble with? These ships are like floating sovereign nations. They could undergo some bad PR for a bit depending on how slow the news is, but RCCL is such a huge brand that it would all be forgotten shortly and if not forgotten a good message would be sent to future cruisers.

I believe they would do it.

Great point. Couldn't have said it better myself.........

Tanker 4

That is EXACTLY true. Many kids these days are so spoiled by high priced electronic gadgets, they haven't a clue what to do if the battteries run dead. I have students who don't know what to do at recess without an electronic game, so they go attack someone. Heaven forbid they actually read a book or draw a picture.

PARENTS need to be made responsible for the behavior of their children - and I heartily applaud the captain's actions. Just because someone is a "minor" does not mean they can cause significant damage. To think that a young kid can't is being VERY naieve. We've had elementary kids sexually assaulting other kids!

Just recently one of the devastating California fires that destroyed hundreds of HOMES ws caused by kids "playing with matches", probably to see how big a fire they could start.

Bravo, Captain!!!! Thanks for making it safe for all of us!

We have been on plenty of cruises with out of control kids. Our nniversary is July 1. We were on cruises to celebrate our 25th, 30th, 35th anniversaries. Each time the ships were packed with 800 + kids gone wild.

We also cruised once during spring break......don't know what we were thinkning there!!! :eek:

So we now cruise off season, this year was our 40th and we waited till Oct so we could do a 15 day Hawaii. It only took 4 or 5 cruises to smarten up!!! :D

I only stated the information I heard from cruise personnel, the situation I believe was entirely the fault of parents not taking responsibility for the children's behavior. That being said I want to state again I how much both myself and my family enjoyed this cruise. I have cruised in the off season, and in fact the last cruise I was on the mean age had to be in the sixties. Now if you like peace and quiet this was the place for you, lounges were empty by 10 PM, the primary conversations involved the latest medical treatments, and the greatest danger was created by the traffic jams at the elevators from all of the electric wheelchairs. I really had no problem with unrully children and really saw few unattended children, (their were some, and I really cannot understand the parents). I loved the mix of ages and I truly love watching the younger people having fun. If this cruise was any indication and these are the future leaders of our country, we really do not have a problem. If only all parents would take responsibility for their offspring these problems could be avoided.

Thanks for posting some details.

While this may sound like "innocent prank", I would submit that this is actually a very serious offense.

JMHO,

Theron

I'll respond to both - switching food orders is not a prank. Many people depend on a set breakfast time - diabetics, those with life threatening food allergies, etc. Plus you can bet this is not the ONLY prank the kids did, it's the one they were caught! You can imagine what the next one might have been, since the parents clearly supported the kids behavior!

As a teacher, I routinely have parents tell me their kid didn't do what I SAW - even the kids are conditioned to deny what you actually SEE them doing. It must work at home.

On the good side, that has happened more rarely now than when I started teaching 15 years ago - maybe parents have learned a bit.

That is EXACTLY true. Many kids these days are so spoiled by high priced electronic gadgets, they haven't a clue what to do if the battteries run dead. I have students who don't know what to do at recess without an electronic game, so they go attack someone. Heaven forbid they actually read a book or draw a picture.

PARENTS need to be made responsible for the behavior of their children - and I heartily applaud the captain's actions. Just because someone is a "minor" does not mean they can cause significant damage. To think that a young kid can't is being VERY naieve. We've had elementary kids sexually assaulting other kids!

Just recently one of the devastating California fires that destroyed hundreds of HOMES ws caused by kids "playing with matches", probably to see how big a fire they could start.

Bravo, Captain!!!! Thanks for making it safe for all of us!

So today's kids are the only ones that play with matches? No child was ever assualted in the good old days? I think you are the one that is naive.

Captain Was Very Clear That They Had To Land Someone There.thats Why I'm So Curious What They Did!

I know you're dying to know. Well, pay attention.

They were DIAMOND and went to customer loyalty and politely inquired if the FUEL SURCHARGE could possibly be ABATED on their 4 week double back to back in March. After consultation with C&C in Miami they were summarily offered landing in Labadee (poetic) or adrift in a lifeboat (sans surcharge)!

LOL!

This is a question not a statement of fact and I am in no way condoning the inappropriate actions. Were they switching the menus from door to door? My question is, do you not put your cabin #on the room service slip? We rarely oder breakfast from room service but I seem to remember putting our cabin # on the slip. If this is the case then I don't understand how the delivery was mixed up. Or was it that they were actually rewritting the orders? Either way the parents should own up to there childrens behavior.

We have sailed during Thanksgiving and Christmas and did not encounter what I would call out of control kids. Maybe we were lucky or maybe we were just a bit more tolerent.

So today's kids are the only ones that play with matches? No child was ever assualted in the good old days? I think you are the one that is naive.

Kids will always be kids, it is part of growing up too. Kids always 'played with matches' and did stupid stuff and still do. :rolleyes: If kids knew there would be a negative consequence for bad behavior maybe there would be less bad actions! (ie: you play= you pay)

This is a question not a statement of fact and I am in no way condoning the inappropriate actions. Were they switching the menus from door to door? My question is, do you not put your cabin #on the room service slip? We rarely oder breakfast from room service but I seem to remember putting our cabin # on the slip. If this is the case then I don't understand how the delivery was mixed up. Or was it that they were actually rewritting the orders? Either way the parents should own up to there childrens behavior.

We have sailed during Thanksgiving and Christmas and did not encounter what I would call out of control kids. Maybe we were lucky or maybe we were just a bit more tolerent.

Cabin # on the order!! Great observation...TRUE! (feeling very blonde now, lmao) But thats a fact, you note your cabin number and they are collected. So, what if they were all dropped on the floor and picked up- they would not be in any particular order....but the cabin #s are on them.

Hmmmmm.....makes ya wonder again! lol

(disclaimer...Im not condoning misbehaving either, but just puzzled now.)

We ordered room service breakfast and yes, you do put your cabin number on the slip. There must be more to this story than just the hearsay we are reading here. If the children did do something dangerous, then they should have put the family off the ship.

As far as large numbers of kids on board, there were 600+ on our Mariner cruise in June and all were well behaved. I saw one young child push multiple buttons on an elevator whose father made him apologize to everyone and they got off on the same deck as us. The father sat down with the boy on the stairs and explained that they would take stairs from then on if it happened again. We saw this little gentleman later in the week on an elevator with his hands folded in front of him:)

We were just on the Enchantment (the week before Thanksgiving) and there were very few children. Pretty quiet!!!

I order room service every morning and yes you do write your cabin number on the form. However, with a pen--you could easily change the order form. A person could change the room number, the time of breakfast arrival or the amount of food. For instance I might want coffee, toast and bacon at 9:30-10:00 AM This could be changed easily by adding some XXXX's and go from toast, coffee and bacon to include a very large order including orange juice, milk, tea, cereal, yogurt, tomato juice, assorted pastries, eggs, sausage, pancakes, fruit, and on and on and it could arrive at 6:30 AM.

Usually people hang these out late at night---so I suspect--it is the usual unsupervised children issue. I did notice there is a curfew for children...

As someone else mentioned--it is not just the children who are misbehaving--it is also the parents who are not monitoring or taking responsibility for their child.

Archived