Freestyle 2.0 Announced

scottyo72

But to eliminate all ships over 5 or 6 by 2009? Wouldn't that mean axing the Sun, Aloha, Star, Dawn (and maybe some others-I haven't checked) in the next year or two?

No Monte, those ships aren't scheduled to go. I believe the article said they would have the youngest ships with all of them being less than 10 years old at the time of delivery on the other new one and those two gone.

No Monte, those ships aren't scheduled to go. I believe the article said they would have the youngest ships with all of them being less than 10 years old at the time of delivery on the other new one and those two gone.

That's what I though. ;)

I was afraid I missed something from what the poster you replied to said. Heck, if they dropped everything over 5 or 6 yrs old-the fleet would face a severe downsizing!

I don't want the Spirit to go!!! I love her and I think she is a great Freestyle ship even if she lacks one or two dinning venues compared to the newer ships. Please NCL, do keep the Spirit in good shape for us!

Personally, I wish instead of selling off the older smaller ships, they would start a new company and put those ships in it.

They could call it NCLFOF (NCL For Old Farts). I'd be a charter member. I much prefer the smaller ships.

Me too! Cruised twice on the Crown. Once around the Horn and just last October to Bermuda. Both were outstanding experiences and my treatment by NCL was superlative! I am truly sad to see her go..........

My overall reaction to the changes at NCL is positive!

Foodwise - The lobster does nothing for me since I don't eat seafood, including Lobster tails unless it is cooked to taste like chicken (usually means over cooked or tasting like gum. LOL). Now KUDOS goes to the Fred Flinstone Porterhouse cut! Now there's a way to put the Sterling Steakhouse on Princess to a crying shame! I wonder how much that piece of meat will cost! The Porterhouse currently on NCL is 2 ounces smaller and the bone that much bigger than what is served on Princess. I wasn't pleased with that so if I see this new bigger cut on the menu in January when I sail I'll be sure to dine there! Those poor cows! MOO! :D :eek:

Roomwise - A change of mattresses every few years helps to keep things flowing. Otherwise, things don't seem to be changing too much here for me. New mattresses are good though!

Enrichment Program - Ok, now this seems like it's trying to model itself after Princess with Scholarship@Sea. To those who want to do that sort of stuff, knock yourselves out! I'd much rather just play the Wii and hang out with people in the disco during the late nights. Give me dance lessons and I'm happy. Don't try and teach me too much though, I'm there to RELAX! Suppose they're doing this to compete with other cruise lines though.

Overall, the food changes are welcomed improvements from what I've gathered but overall... I wasn't that dissatisfied with the food options already in place. I just hope they offer more beef products on the main menus in the dining rooms (non-fee). We'll see.

I just hope that NCL doesn't go crazy with fair increases. Princess has already raised theirs and while I love to cruise if prices keep going up and I have to fly on expensive planes to get there then I might just have to find another vacation mode. :cool:

There's my two cents!

Personally, I wish instead of selling off the older smaller ships, they would start a new company and put those ships in it.

They could call it NCLFOF (NCL For Old Farts). I'd be a charter member. I much prefer the smaller ships.

Our last cruise was on the Regal Empress AND WE HAD A GOOD TIME. I think just saying that would make me a charter member on NCLFOF

I read something that made me think that all the older ships will be out of service by 2009. None of their fleet will be more than 5 or 6 years old by 2009, I think is what I read.

Yes, but the upgrades are supposed to be completed by the summer of 2008, when at least the Majesty will still be a part of the fleet.

I do agree that all of the smaller older ships shouldn't all head to less-than-quality cruise lines (even though the Crown didn't) I am going to hate to see the Majesty in Star colors, as I did to see the Sea and Wind. It's a shame...

We are sooo glad they are finally going to 'upgrade' the buffet. On Oceania the buffet is our favorite dinner venue. On NCL the atmosphere is more like a high school cafeteria, where you sometimes have to do your own busing.

What a wonderful improvement it will be to have table cloths and (electric) candles.

But what about the dress code in the buffet? Will someone enforce it or will we still have to put up with passengers in various stages of undress? We'll see in November.

Everyone of these changes were suggestions I gave them in the survey I took. OK, just kidding, But, I love each of them, way to go NCL.

While I have thought of trying another line, (again), there seems no reason, when I am extremely happy with NCL.

I tried Carnival once and it was not like NCL in many ways. With all the added benefits, there is no other line out there that offers all of this. If they keep the prices reasonable, I will be one happy cruiser!

HoopTroop

Does this mean that the Dream and Majesty will be upgraded too? I hope so, but some of the objectives would be difficult on these two older ships.

I heard they will be eliminated, if you look at the new brochures there is nothing scheduled for the Dream after Oct. 08.

Everyone of these changes were suggestions I gave them in the survey I took. OK, just kidding, But, I love each of them, way to go NCL.

While I have thought of trying another line, (again), there seems no reason, when I am extremely happy with NCL.

I tried Carnival once and it was not like NCL in many ways. With all the added benefits, there is no other line out there that offers all of this. If they keep the prices reasonable, I will be one happy cruiser!

HoopTroop

Hey you could hire the same lawyer who's representing that judge who's going after David Chase for a "piece" of the Sopranos profits! :eek: He claims that Chase got ALL of the Soprano's ideas from him. Maybe you could go after NCL here. I'd settle for instant & permanant Platinum Latitudes status...:cool:

JUST KIDDING!!!:p

This is just great. We were on the Gem & absolutely LOVED the buffet & how it was set up. If they do the same to the Spirit, Dawn, etc. it will be a most welcome change.

Good job, NCL!!

Tom & Eileen

Looking forward to all the new changes. It really looks like NCL want to do the things to improve our cruise experience.

By the time we get to sail on the Spirit, all the improvements should be in place. Can't wait.

Stillfloatin'..wonder just how many changes to the Star by the time you return to her.

It make sense for NCL to spend more on food.

Somebody posted in this forum that NCL spend more on fuel than food.

Can somebdy tell them they are cruising their ships too fast or too far.

You can be innovative but only in the right way. Sailing out of NY and Boston is on top of my list.

Food, the passengers can feel it right away but fuel they don't even know about it or care.

I wonder if this will affect the price of their cruises. Guess we will wait and see.

The cruise that I've been watching for weeks suddenly increased a couple hundred dollars today...do you think this announcement is the reason or do you think the timeline of departure getting closer??

I was on the Gem last week and loved it. Having gone on the Jewel and Pride of America inaugurals the Gem was a real treat. Changed my mind about NCL. The beds were wonderful. My back didn't hurt after sleeping on it. I had a room right below the buffet and didn't hear a thing. I think the main pool was heated. There was steam coming off of it while it snowed in Boston. The food was really great and I liked the buffet set up. I had a steak the first day in the main dining room and could have cut it with a butter knife.

The issue regarding a raise in pricing surprises me. Am I the only one who has seen a substantial raise in cruising prices for the coming year and 09. Even the January 26th cruise we are on has doubled in price since we booked early. We are looking at prices for 2009 and they are up and climbing slowly. Even the upsales offered are out of reasonable range from a year ago. Did anyone else notice this?

The issue regarding a raise in pricing surprises me. Am I the only one who has seen a substantial raise in cruising prices for the coming year and 09. Even the January 26th cruise we are on has doubled in price since we booked early. We are looking at prices for 2009 and they are up and climbing slowly. Even the upsales offered are out of reasonable range from a year ago. Did anyone else notice this?

This will depend on whether the pricing holds or not. As NCL tries to change its image it is trying to cater to a different and more affluent clientele(same as Oceania and Regent Seven Seas),...higher prices = higher profit. The new ships the new image part of that change. Post 9-11 pricing has kept cruising at historic low(in real inflated dollar term)....Prices are up in general. The investment bankers want to see a return and we shall see if the pricing holds. Its also the reason why NCL has redeployed its best ships to Europe for the summer....higher potential prices and opened an office in Germany....

I sure hope they are serious about this! According to the release, the new product should be ready by our Pearl cruise in August.

Conspicuously absent from the list of upgrades are Internet and cell phone services. Oh well, guess I will have to stay unplugged from the business world for a week. Darn! :D

Archived